Forum Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
You mean the stingy Thankers? The ones who don't hit the 'Thanks' but, respond with a, "Thanks, guys!".

Oh, and I thanked you! Now thank me back. J/K!

Exactly!!!!

CantAffordMAC

You guys are funny! lol. I get what you're saying about the thanks...I think maybe some people don't know how to use it?

Another thing that annoys me. The whole search thing. Its a good feature, and theres no real way to fix it. Its just too big of a website. If i'm looking for information about which brush I should get to apply my studio fix, I have to search for "brushes" or "studio fix" and honestly, I hardly ever get what I'm looking for. Its hard to find what you're looking for on here because some topics may be obvious (whats the difference between studio fix/studio tech) but some might not be (where can i buy 15 pan palette...no seriously, can I buy it at a regular mac store or does it have to be a pro store? and how much do they cost?) lol...I did a search for that question today (I just typed 15 pan palette) and it took me to For Sale, and Hauls. and neither one of those will help me out, sorry.

Or I hate when you have a question that pertains to you (like, I have curly hair, heres a picture of it, what shampoo and conditioner should I buy) and everyone yells at you because someone made a topic last year about the best shampoo for curly hair and you didn't search. This is basically what I was saying earlier, but its like, my question may have something pertaining only to me and I'll have to bump that old ass topic back up...

Sigh. I'm done for now.
rofl.gif
I don't want to offend anyone...this is my favorite website and I love you guys

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
You guys are funny! lol. I get what you're saying about the thanks...I think maybe some people don't know how to use it?

Possibly. I don't want to sound like the Thanks Trooper, but I thank too because it's also faster than posting "Thanks" constantly. And, it's far better reading for the next person if you're not looking at "Post, Comment, "Thanks", Comment, "Thanks", Comment, "Thanks". MULTI-QUOTE! I visit a few forums and this is by far the best as far as features.

The Reputation icon is a good thing, too. I was wearing it out when I posted my FOTDs because there's no 'Thanks' button there. And, you can add to reputation without saying a thing.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
Another thing that annoys me. The whole search thing. Its a good feature, and theres no real way to fix it. Its just too big of a website. If i'm looking for information about which brush I should get to apply my studio fix, I have to search for "brushes" or "studio fix" and honestly, I hardly ever get what I'm looking for. Its hard to find what you're looking for on here because some topics may be obvious (whats the difference between studio fix/studio tech) but some might not be (where can i buy 15 pan palette...no seriously, can I buy it at a regular mac store or does it have to be a pro store? and how much do they cost?) lol...I did a search for that question today (I just typed 15 pan palette) and it took me to For Sale, and Hauls. and neither one of those will help me out, sorry.

I am just posting this in case you aren't aware of it
smiles.gif
- but there is an "advanced search" function - the link is under the main search box.

there are heaps more options and you can filter which particular sub-forums you want to search. it can really help narrow your results down if you're looking for a common topic, or key words that will splash up on every sub forum.

it's helped me find stuff before - i hope it helps you out too.

now... to my pet peeves.

users on some forums (not here) will just flame newbies for everything and anything. fair enough, flame them if they are rude and trollish, but if someone is posting legitimately then why try and drive them off? I think it's rude.

i'm not a fan of leet speak and txt tlk used for the whole post, every post, but that's just me. i think it can sometimes make things hard to read.

i also don't like people who argue just for argument's sake, and who deliberately try to start arguments.

and oh yeah - the thread resurrections. that weirds me out sometimes - especially if i don't realise it's an old thread at first and come acrosss a post I made in it!
lol.gif

user79

I never knew some of you ladies take the "Thanks" button so seriously! Honestly, Janice installed that application as a fun little thing to give back to users, and so we can easily say "thanks" to someone without having to hit reply. It really doesn't matter how many thanks/thanked someone has, this isn't a popularity contest. I know I have a lot of thanked posts, but honestly, I barely ever look at that on people's avatars. It doesn't make anyone's opinion more or less valid, I go by what people write or post. There are no rules regarding the correct etiquette to "thanking", so don't worry about it.
winkiss.gif

xSazx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgz
spelling.. well some people just cant spell, so that doesnt really bother me too much. i correct my friends online but on a forum, what can you do, right? minor mistakes are alright, but i dont like it when people dont spell correctly on purpose.

the whole typing in all caps except for i's or just in all caps, period, bothers me. WHY DO PEOPLE NEED TO TYPE LiKE THiS THROUGHOUT THEiR WHOLE POST? seriously. haha undo the caps lock, please!

Yesss, that's so irritating! But if you think that's annoying, I used to visit a forum where a lot of people TyPeD lYk DiS iN eVrI sInGlE pOsT.
lol.gif

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I never knew some of you ladies take the "Thanks" button so seriously! Honestly, Janice installed that application as a fun little thing to give back to users, and so we can easily say "thanks" to someone without having to hit reply. It really doesn't matter how many thanks/thanked someone has, this isn't a popularity contest. I know I have a lot of thanked posts, but honestly, I barely ever look at that on people's avatars. It doesn't make anyone's opinion more or less valid, I go by what people write or post. There are no rules regarding the correct etiquette to "thanking", so don't worry about it.
winkiss.gif

I think we're all in agreement with the bold statement. I think it works me up a lot because I frequently check back via 'New Posts' for answers to questions within the thread, only to see that the thread has been bumped, with no new info, because someone has said, "Thanks." I know it's a small rant, and unimportant to a lot of people, but isn't that really what a "Pet Peeve" is?

banjobama

When people type phrases incorrectly like, "Don't take this for granite" (granted) or "You can't safe face" (save face). There's a poster up at my school from a girl trying to start an anime club, and it uses "want's" for "once."
cry.gif

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
I think we're all in agreement with the bold statement. I think it works me up a lot because I frequently check back via 'New Posts' for answers to questions within the thread, only to see that the thread has been bumped, with no new info, because someone has said, "Thanks." I know it's a small rant, and unimportant to a lot of people, but isn't that really what a "Pet Peeve" is?

I don't think I understand. If you hit the thanks button in an old thread, afaik, it doesn't bump up the thread. It only bumps the thread if you hit the reply button and then write out "thanks" (or whatever.) So the thanks button is handy in that sense too.

Edit: I just read back to your earlier post, and I think we're actually on the same page. I was saying the thanks button is useful, as were you. I was talking about the thanks button, not making a reply going "thanks".

Beauty Mark

Trolls. The people who essentially fight for the hell of it and add random stuff, like insulting someone's looks, even if that has nothing to do with the topic.

People who have a conflict with someone on the boards (knowing that this person reads the boards) and try to garner advice. It just has started quite a few fights that were ridiculous.

Cutesy typing. I understand spelling errors and not typing certain words. On another board I read, the moderator thinks it's awesome to write stuff like "dem", "dat", etc. She does it to be cute, and it's not cute. I also gathered that it's difficult for international readers to understand what the hell she's typing; I struggle with that sometimes, and I only know English.

I can't think of a word or phrase for it, but I read several boards about certain "famous" people or TV shows. The second that person makes it known s/he is reading the boards, the conversation goes sycophantic even if there were fair and valid criticisms of the person. It's really amazing. I don't believe people should be heartless and write cruel things for fun, but I really hate how good conversation is destroyed when people know that their words aren't going unnoticed by the person of the topic.

Crazy fans. You can write a fair and valid critique of a person and they'll jump all over you like you called their idol a pedophile. It's kind of scary.

SingFrAbsoltion

^haha crazy fans. I've seen those. And they fight over the celeb sometimes. "z0mg back off thats my hubby". shut up.

and I just remembered this one. it doesn't apply to this board because all the admins and mods are awesome, but I used to go to this one forum with 2 mods who were the biggest bitches ever! They would just into discussions and make fun of everyone, ban crazy amounts of people, and even made up a whole subforum where them two could make fun of people's posts! Even though I never personally got picked on, I felt really bad for other members. I stopped going there and a little later signed on to see that the board was practically dead. Maybe because the bitches banned half of the members for no reason.

Ambi

When people quote a mile long post only to say something useless like "I agree", it takes up half of the page and it just seems silly when you could/should quote a couple of sentences/the important parts, not the entire damn thing.

lipshock

Michie and MissChievous, you ladies took the words right out of my mouth. I cannot stand it when I go through a post (mainly in the FOTD section) and the Original Poster, after every (almost) every single reply to their starting post, says "Thanks" when we have a Thanks! Button, for goodness sake. UTILIZE IT, IT'S THERE FOR A REASON.

But for some reason, I believe that some people do it so that they can have a higher comment count .. if you get what I mean by that. I guess having a high comment count means you're popular?!?!? :confused:
lol.gif

I would say that and typing like "I gots 2 da mall becuz I ain't gots no new clothez" is really damn annoying. I CANNOT stand to see the English butchered as I see on so many forums. What is so hard about typing out the word "THAT" instead of "DAT"!?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
Michie and MissChievous, you ladies took the words right out of my mouth. I cannot stand it when I go through a post (mainly in the FOTD section) and the Original Poster, after every (almost) every single reply to their starting post, says "Thanks" when we have a Thanks! Button, for goodness sake. UTILIZE IT, IT'S THERE FOR A REASON.

To be fair, in the FOTD section, only the first post may be thanked. After that, the OP may use the Rep button to give reputation to comments.
smiles.gif

For people posting in the FOTD section who want to respond to compliments, please do feel free to use the 'multi-quote' function.

MiCHiE

Yeah, I think it's a bumping the thread thing, too.

Ambi, the quoting thing.....OMG...have you ever been to a forum where people argue and write dissertations, another person quotes and you end up having a mile long quote-within-a-quote-within-a-quote?!??!

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
To be fair, in the FOTD section, only the first post may be thanked. After that, the OP may use the Rep button to give reputation to comments.
smiles.gif

For people posting in the FOTD section who want to respond to compliments, please do feel free to use the 'multi-quote' function.

Shimmer, you're right. OOPS!

I meant to say use the MULTI-QUOTE function if you want to thank multiple users without cluttering the thread with "THANKS!" and "THANKS!" and etc.
smiles.gif

I LOVE that MULTI-QUOTE button, by the way. Things like this make me love Specktra.

lipshock

Another thing:

The Search function available on the site. USE IT and the ADVANCED SEARCH function as well. Each time I've had a question regarding a particular subject, I always search first and more times than none someone has already brought it up and the question (if there is any) has been answered.

How many times have we all seen a new thread started regarding the uses of FIX+ or what is MAC's hiring policy/process like?!? Come on now.

Dreamergirl3

You know what really grinds my gears? (lol, I had to! haha)
When people resort to personal attacks if they disagree with an opinion. Or they conclude that you must have your opinion because you have a personal grudge of some sort against, for example, a celebrity, or someone's lifestyle.

Another pet peeve is when old FOTD's are bumped, and I mean a year or older, and people demand to know where the pics are. Just wondering is one thing, but to seem offended or upset that the pictures are no longer there after it's been so long is rude IMO.

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark

I can't think of a word or phrase for it, but I read several boards about certain "famous" people or TV shows. The second that person makes it known s/he is reading the boards, the conversation goes sycophantic even if there were fair and valid criticisms of the person. It's really amazing. I don't believe people should be heartless and write cruel things for fun, but I really hate how good conversation is destroyed when people know that their words aren't going unnoticed by the person of the topic.

Crazy fans. You can write a fair and valid critique of a person and they'll jump all over you like you called their idol a pedophile. It's kind of scary.

That two-faced behaviour/mindless worship annoys the hell out of me too – and not just because it is patronising that they treat that person who is as much of a human being as them, as someone who can do no wrong. It’s actually the opposite problem on a musician’s board I venture on (the only other board I go on). The musician does something that is shitty if done on purpose (which tripping over on stage and smashing a glass with your fall, thus making glass fall close to the crowd is a complete accident), but not the end of the world and people act like he’s instigated Armageddon! Have these people been that molly-coddled?

To this I add: people that don’t resolve issues when they happen, and continue to let it fester for far longer then the situation deserves. If something bothers you, get it off your chest in a mature manner at the time, or accept that it happened and let go of it – no one likes to have someone be passive aggressive or outwardly angry at them for something that was long forgotten on their side.

Also those that don't accept that by being human means we are not perfect, thus will make mistakes/do bad things/hurt people either intentionally or by accident from time to time. Also people that take something a complete stranger says (especially if it’s not about them, but a topic) to heart and are as upset and angry about it as they would be had a dear friend said it.

This gets my goat because the original poster probably meant it completely different to how it was read, wasn't meaning to insult/upset those that didn't share that belief or thought, was only sharing their personal opinion, is a stranger so therefore probably doesn't know whether something would upset you - and why.

People that read posts that rub them up the wrong way should IMO take a minute to consider the fact that the same sentence can be read dozens of different ways; you don’t get body language, vocal tone/volume etc that you would have had, had they been speaking to you face to face. Your interpretation of their text could be wrong, and you should ask them to clarify their comment rather than jump the gun.

NutMeg

Ok, I clearly don't understand how to use the Reputation function. Someone care to quickly explain? (And yes, the technology on this site kicks some serious butt
greengrin.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.