Freelancing for MAC

Re: How to start freelancing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazy
Phew! I just about spent the whole day reading this thread!! I learned so much about freelancing! When you do start a portfolio, does this have to be printed out and what sizes should the photos be? Will a CD portfolio work as well?
Where are some good places to start my kit but on a low budget?

TIA

I wouldn't worry about printing a portfolio just yet. I would however make sure you have a website, and not a myspace or modelmayhem either a real website with your name and contact info and images. And business cards with all the info on them.

When you do get enough images to start a printed portfolio, the industry standard for makeup is 11x14. You really will only need the physical portfolio when talking to agency's and or corporate jobs.

I replied to your message so check your mail.

For kits i would try Camerareadycosmetics.com
or Yabycosmetics.com
Both offer great pro products and great value kits

jardinaires

Guess who's a freelance artist for MAC?

Me!
smiles.gif

I had my interview yesterday. I was so nervous the entire time. I had to bring a model to do a look on. I brought one of my best friends, and was asked to do her makeup completely neutral using NO brown. She's NC15 with auburn hair and bright green eyes. Studio tech foundation mixed with a little strobe cream and applied with a 188 brush, a little fast response eye cream, lip conditioner to prep her lips.. Shell cream color base all over the lid as a shadow base. I used Mylar to highlight, Grain on the inner corner, Gleam on the lid and bottom lashline, Mythology on the outer lid and middle crease, and Antiqued on the outer corner of the crease and bottom lashline. She usually wears nothing but a little black eyeliner on her waterline smudged into her lashes so I did that for her, smudging in a little Mythology to warm her eyes up a little, with Fibre Rich mascara to lengthen her eyelashes. Warm Soul mineralize blush, a little Medium-deep mineralize skinfinish natural to add some extra depth and color to the face, Jubilee lipstick with some Slicked Pink lip gelee. Everyone seemed really impressed with the look I did, the only thing I got a critique on was the fact that I didn't use a lipliner.. The interview went great, I did all my paperwork and got walked through all the details of what a freelancer exactly does.
So I am officially a MAC freelance artist and I was told I'd probably be doing my first event at Nordstrom's for the Graphic Gardens release and then in August for the Makeup Art Cosmetics launch
smiles.gif

I'm so excited!!! I've wanted this since I was 15 years old. After I was done with all the paperwork stuff the manager actually gave me a little hug and said "Welcome to the team!". I thought I was going to break into a seizure right then.

I was also told that based on the look I did for my interview and the way I explained my color choices and everything, they could definitely see me as a "first-choice" for a permanent position working at the counter.. I just have no idea how long it takes to work up from freelance to permanent. Does anyone have any kind of idea about that?

ShortnSassy

Re: Guess who's a freelance artist for MAC?

congrats! you sound just like me when i got hired as freelance too haha... i thought i was going to pee myself i was so excited! in my town there are only two mac counters so everyone wants to work them and i hardly ever get any hours. that's good that you're going to be started right away!

sassyvirgo

Congratulations!!!!! I wanna freelance for them as well but am clueless as to where to start..... very inspiring congratulations again!!!

ForgetRegret

Woohoo!!! Congratulations, hun, that's awesome!
th_hug.gif

I only have one question; what's that got to do with pregnancy or childbirth...unless you were in labor while you were doing your interview...which...I don't think is possible...LOL
greengrin.gif

MacVirgin

Congratulations!!
th_DANCE.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
I only have one question; what's that got to do with pregnancy or childbirth...unless you were in labor while you were doing your interview...which...I don't think is possible...LOL
greengrin.gif

th_LMAO.gif

Jishin

Re: How to start freelancing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMakeupMan
For kits i would try Camerareadycosmetics.com
or Yabycosmetics.com
Both offer great pro products and great value kits

do they ship to Europe?

cindy4

Hey Did you have to do any face charts for any of your interviews?

Tahti

Congratulations, it must be so exciting! I'm envious ;D Good look at your first event!

DirtyPlum

Well done, and best wishes xx

^^..and Tahti - from what I have seen of you, you have MAC written all over you - you should apply too!

jardinaires

i didn't have to do a face chart, but i did do a demo on a friend.

in other news: i was hired freelance, but before i even put in any freelance hours they hired me part-time. it is an amazing feeling but also there's about 5 people who have been doing freelance for a while now.. and i got chosen before them. i don't know what the deal with that was, i guess it's a compliment but who knows why someone with no experience at the counter got chosen over people who had put in plenty of work thus far. maybe availability? who knows.

thank you to everyone who's replied to this, thanks so much
smiles.gif

ceesee823

Freelance/Mac

Hi!

If I was hired by MAC as a freelance artist, can I still do gigs on the side and charge...i.e. bridal, etc. ??

Latest posts