Freelancing for MAC

astronaut

Re: How to start freelancing??

To apply for freelance, do you have to go to the store or can you apply through a counter as well?

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
To apply for freelance, do you have to go to the store or can you apply through a counter as well?

I went to my local Macy's counter.

I work fulltime in the health insurance industry.

stacylynne

Start off by getting business cards done & give them out to everyone, post an add on craigslist.
You want to put together a book as well w/ different looks. Do this with all your friends & family members (females always want a makeover, the portfolio will show off your skills
smiles.gif
)

If you have a local wedding center near you, you may want to make a flyer for them; they do mailings as well as trade shows.

babiid0llox

Ok I've read through this whole thread and was just wondering what's a good way to start up your 'work' makeup collection. What did you start off with and what do you consider basics?

TIA!
greengrin.gif

thedrinkgirl

Hi There: I was just hired by MAC as a freelance MA here in Vegas and I did my "demo" the other day and was completely nervous. They told me that MAC is about image and so it helped that I dressed the part going to the demo. I wish I knew how to add pictures cuz I've got pics from that day but anyways, I got offered the position yesterday. They said that I will be used for events or to cover shifts for girls that are on vacation and I have the ability to go to different locations. I'm also a cocktail waitress so I've got lots of girls at work to practice on too which will help me to feel less nervous. In fact, I've got my first client tomorrow - YIPPEE!!

AdlersMommy22

I really really really want to start freelancing for MAC... the guy im seeing is a pro photographer and Im going to start doing the make up for his photoshoots.. hes making me a huge book with all my work in it... (hes so supportive its soooo sweet!)...

The problem here is that I dont have a MAC anywhere around me- there are a ton up in Chicago--- the closest is at least 2 hours away from me... so Im not sure what I would do as far as the interview and what not...

I live in Peoria, IL... and I just dont know what to do... I need some help-- pahleeze! I want to start freelancing professionally for weddings, proms, etc... but moving up to chicago to do that with a 6 month old baby while im still in college is just NOT going to happen right now

advice?????

Silveretta

I am starting my porfolio. It is harder then I thought.

I am a Reg. Vet Nurse ,but am looking for a new career.Makeup is my passion.

A Nord. is hiring in there cosmetics area, and I am wondering if anyone can roughly give me an idea of pay.

I would start by going part time as a RVT, and working in the maekup field.
Then seeing where it leads me.

I need a new path, and this is what I have wanted for so long.

I just do not know where to start.

Quick question: I'm thinking of going in to apply as a freelance MUA at MAC and I was wondering if they will be expecting me to bring in a sample/portfolio of looks I have done?

carmaqara

I am a MAC Frelancer, and it is true you go through 2 interviews verbal and the makeup audition, its nothing, they will tell you word for word, step by step exactly what they want you to do, you don't get any training as freelance, only if you are placed in a store....I love freelancing, we get to travel from store to different events and meet so many people, but the family atmosphere of the store is nice too! My best advice to you is that if you are going to persue it bring a model with you that you have done before and feel comfortable with, they are going to also want you to act out that you are selling to her so make sure to talk to the model and explain what you are doing and why!!! Good Luck!!xoxoxo

Cupid

I just got hired as a freelancer last week! I am so excited to start working!!!

Kels823

Hey guys and dolls.....

To make a long one short, a couple weeks after doing my demo interview in December, I got a call from MAC saying they wanted to bring me in as a freelance MA!!
th_DANCE.gif
I was soooo excited, still am! She said they'd call in a couple weeks so I can come in to sign the paperwork.

December passed.
th_confused_new.gif

January passed.
th_dunno.gif

February is passing....
cry.gif

Sooooo I got curious and called the local MAC store. I spoke with one of the managers who told me that there is a hiring freeze for freelance MAs.
ssad.gif
ssad.gif
ssad.gif
She said it could be months before they call me to come in to work.

I'm soooo frustrated and disappointed. I kinda wish the lady who called me to let me know I got "hired" told me this info from jump, that way I wouldn't have gotten my hopes all high, or told anyone (I only told very close friends/fam, but still).

*sigh*

I'm going to be patient and just wait for the call (like I have a choice!!
th_LMAO.gif
but I'm just seeing if anyone else heard about this freelance hiring freeze or experienced something similar? I'm in Michigan, so I don't know if this is just a local thing....

Thanks for any feedback in advance.
yes.gif

Chrystia

Re: Got hired as a freelancer.. but so frustrated.

Times are tight right now, so a lot of stores don't have a lot of freelance hours available. But remember that summer event is coming in May. Also it takes a while for your name to show up on the freelance/on call list that the managers receive. So its possible they haven't even got your contact information yet. However, I would recommend taking a day to go visit all the counters/stores in your area. Introduce yourself to the managers and tell them you are new on the freelance team. Leave them your name and number and if they are amenable to it let them know what you hope to accomplish at MAC. That's how I did it when I started on the team and shortly after I was starting to get calls from all of those managers who remembered me. Congratulations though, and good luck.

gingin501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupid
I just got hired as a freelancer last week! I am so excited to start working!!!

Congrats!!!

kcphoto

Re: Got hired as a freelancer.. but so frustrated.

Me, too... minus MI, add OH.

I just got called the other day for a FOURTH interview, and got the callback today. I didn't get the permanent position, but I did get asked to do freelance. The perm position was only 8 hours, and if I had that, I'd be extremely limited with my schedule since I'd have to keep my fulltime job. The manager said she really wanted me to be a part of the company, though, so I said yes- foot in the door is better than looking through the window, IMHO
smiles.gif

Hang in there, girlie- my friend Jill got hired as Freelance in Detroit (hopefully for Summerset Mall, drooooooool) so I bet you guys will cross paths! <3

L1LMAMAJ

this is a great thread. i do want to start freelancing in the near future. i'm gonna practice on my friends for free so i can gain more confidence. btw how do u freelancers get the disposable mascara wands/lipgloss sponges, etc.?

Ted Darin

It is very difficult to begin a freelance writing career. Like singing and acting, many people believe they have the talent to be a rich and famous writer if only they can “get discovered.” Competing with the clamor of these self-delusional hacks can be extremely frustrating for a serious writer, because it is the flood of mediocre manuscripts they produce that makes the publishing industry so unwelcoming to new, unproven writers. Here are a few ideas on how to “break in” to the tough, competitive world of freelance writing.

Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
this is a great thread. i do want to start freelancing in the near future. i'm gonna practice on my friends for free so i can gain more confidence. btw how do u freelancers get the disposable mascara wands/lipgloss sponges, etc.?

There are a lot of places to get them online, you can also get them at beauty supply stores (like Sallys), and I think they have them at pro stores.

jamie89

Hi everyone! I have read through this thread and it's been very helpful, but I still am confused about how I should get started.

I am about to enter my junior year of college as a musical theatre major. My plan after school is to move to NYC and hopefully get an agent. I am interested in film and theatre, so would like to be bi-coastal and working as a performer in both LA and NYC (or wherever my career takes me)! Now, this profession is very iffy, but it is my passion. I'm obviously going to need other jobs to support myself in between shows/whatever, and am NOT interested in being a waitress the rest of my life!

I absolutely love makeup, and am pretty darn good at it. My friends at school always come to me when we have events or anything going on, or if they're getting headshots taken. I'd love to work as a freelance makeup artist, but feel like I don't have the means/skills/certification to do so. I am POOR and don't really have money to have a full "kit" or anything. What do I dooo? I also would love to take a makeup course, but again...no money. Is there any way I can still do this? How should I go about starting a portfolio?

Thanks again for your wealth of information, ladies. Love!!!

Shazy

Phew! I just about spent the whole day reading this thread!! I learned so much about freelancing! When you do start a portfolio, does this have to be printed out and what sizes should the photos be? Will a CD portfolio work as well?
Where are some good places to start my kit but on a low budget?

TIA

Latest posts