Freelancing for MAC

astronaut

Freelancing

Okay, so after reading the posts about freelancing, I'm still a little confused as to what it really is. Are there more lines that offer freelancing positions other than MAC? What are they? Is there a minimum amount of hours per period of time or something required? Most people seem to be concerned about not getting enough hours lol. I'm under the impression that freelancing is kind of like on call jobs, except with multiple locations? Well, that being said, I'm not sure what the responsibilities of on call is either. I always thought that you had to be there when they wanted you, and you can't say no? Does Sephora have on call positions?

Freelancing sounds appealing to me since I hate scheduled retail jobs. It just doesn't work well with my school schedule because sometimes I will have a lot of homework and studying to do, and sometimes I don't. I feel so bad when I have free time, just sitting there watching TV when I could be doing something productive. I don't mind cleaning mirrors or whatever, I just want to be around makeup and get paid at the same time
winks.gif
It's something I'm currently looking into and maybe pursuing in the future once I find out all the specifics. Thanks.

miinx

Re: Freelancing

Bobbi Brown has freelancers, but it works differently from MAC, and basically in the complete opposite fashion - freelancers are a position you "work up" to, and is generally reserved for those with lots of experience with Bobbi, who started at the counter. They work events/fashion shows/trend shows etc. I work part time at Bobbi at Nordstrom while I'm in school, and they are really wonderful about working with my schedule, whether I want to do 3 full shifts a week and 4 days off, or scatter shorter schedules throughout the week. They also give an hour break for lunch which lets me get alot done. I could have also taken a 14 hour position at Laura Mercier, but Bobbi is an extremely busy counter, which is preferable to me because I get to sit alot of people down in the chair every single day. If you have a Nordstrom around you, check out their cosmetics department - they treat their employees very well and are extremely understanding and accomodating. I know with MAC freelancing, you dont HAVE TO say yes if they call you - but if you frequently are busy and always say no, then counters are going to stop calling alltogether.

GetGlammed

Re: Freelancing for MAC Cosmetics HELP!

So when you are a freelancer... does this mean all MACs (including the ones in the department store can call you too?) Realistically how many hours do you get when you free lance?

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl
OOOOoooohhh!! ...Freelancer update?!? When did this start? recently? I asked my homebase manager and she said the freelancers that work a lot of hours will sometimes get sent to update...but not basic.

I believe this is something they just started. Check with her again. Yeah, we don't get to go to basic.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGlammed
So when you are a freelancer... does this mean all MACs (including the ones in the department store can call you too?) Realistically how many hours do you get when you free lance?

To get alot of calls, you have to go into the store and introduce yourself to the managers. They won't know you until they meet you. Get to know them and they will. And yes, you can freelance at counters and stores. As far as how many hours you can get, it depends on the need in your area and if they call you back. You have to do a good job, have a great personality to get those calls to come back. Always be helpful to the staff.

I have one counter that treats me as part of their team. They are always asking when am I coming back to be with them.
smiles.gif

blueyesdancing

To all freelancers......this really is a great gig! The direction that the company is heading in general...all new employees are hired from freelance staff. I started as freelance and 3 years later am assistant manager at a high volume location (plus we are number 1 in our region!). So stay on top of your game and if you are serious about a career with mac...your name will be remembered!!!

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl
More freelance questions please!!
smiles.gif

I just started freelance! Woo hoo!!! I pretty much got thrown in right away
winks.gif
So questions...

1. Are we given our own set of brushes?

2. Do we get a MAC necklace?

3. Do we get to go to Basic and/or Update?

4. Do we get the discount and gratis? (I think no?)

5. Anything else freelance does not get compared to permanent?

Thanks!!!

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No set schedule, no department store discount (like if you're freelancing at Nordis you don't get the Nordis discount your counter mates get), no EMS, no benefits

TakeNotice

Re: How to start freelancing??

Great info so far. I have also been considering going into freelance. Keep the suggestions coming!

Re: Freaked-Out Freelancer :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeXy MAC LuveR
The employees that are supplied with brushes and a belt, do you keep the brushes for your own personal use as well or do they stay at the store afterwards?

The Artists that are permanent at the counter are supplied with their own brushes and brush belts, but they are not allowed to leave the store. The only exception is when you go to training.

SeXy MAC LuveR

Re: Freaked-Out Freelancer :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautybugg08
The Artists that are permanent at the counter are supplied with their own brushes and brush belts, but they are not allowed to leave the store. The only exception is when you go to training.

ohh ok cool thanks forclearing that one up =)

ductapemyheartt

i am one step away to being a freelancer.

okay, so a couple of months ago, the manager at my mac counter asked me when i was going to apply for freelance. she caught me completely off-guard and i explained that i was not ready. so, weeks go by and she and i talked about it. she said she wanted to see what i could do, so i came in about a month and a half ago for a [fake] demo interview. basically it was like a real demo, except did not count in the interview process....just in case i totally bombed it. we have done this three times and she would basically critique my work, let me get used to applying makeup, and give me pointers. [i only started wearing makeup in march of this year]. i was super duper nervous. well, last night i had my third practise demo and the manager told me it was the best i had done so far and she said that i am ready for a real interview.

so, she sat me down and we did the verbal right then and there, which went really well. i am supposed to come back next tuesday with another model and this will be my real demo, and she made it sound like if i do not completely screw up her face, i will probably get hired....

the manager is amazing, and all of the girls at the counter seem to really like me, but i am nervous beyond belief. i have a huge issue with people watching me put makeup on someone because i am afraid they are constantly judging me because my confidence level is really low...i just wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me? especially about foundation...i can usually match someone to foundation...but i have a problem deciding which one to use...[i checked to see if there was a thread specifically for mac foundation, but i could not find one]

i mean, i am not even sure if i am ready. beth, the manager, told my mom i will be hired as a freelancer before this year is over, so if she thinks i am ready, i must be, right?

i dunno...i love all of you specktra.net-ers and i am just really scared...and desperate for any help you can give me.

it would be much appreciated!

:]

amoona

Re: i am one step away to being a freelancer.

The foundation you use depends on the skin type your model has and the cover and finish she desires. Now technically they'll tell you at basic that every foundation works for every skin type but in reality some foundations work better on certain skin types. For example, I love my Studio Fix but my skin is too dry right now so it looks ashy and cakey. Minieralized Satin Finish looks amazing on me though. I suggest checking each foundation out on the MAC website.

As far as your insecurity about having people watch you do make-up - I hope this doesn't sound harsh - but in that case you're not ready. If you work for MAC you are constantly being watched by co-workers, managers, trainers, walkers-by, and even the customer themselves. You will be constantly judged on your skills. That's not really a bad thing but if you're insecure about it then maybe you should build your confidence first because MAC is a hard world. If nobody who works with you judges your skill - which they will - then your customer does. And even if the make-up looks flawless and amazing there will still be a customer who has a rude and mean comment.

User49

I don't actually work for Mac, but it sounds like this person has every confidence in you. I'd say give yourself a break and go for it!

Wow! It sounds like that manager really wants you...that is awesome!

I just got hired as a freelancer myself so I don't have a ton of info to give just quite yet. But as far as people watching you goes the only thing I can suggest (what I do) is just try to ignore everyone else around you; it's about you & your customer. Talk to your model/customer the entire time & just focus on them. It's difficult but act like no one else is around. It works for me when I get the jitters.

Again congrats! Just take a deep breathe & concentrate, be confident & have fun!
winks.gif

revaannxx3

A quick question about freelancing??

Well ladies and gents ive just been offered a freelancing position at my local MAC counter but unfortunately im to young.
I'll be going back though when i turn 18 =].
I was justing wondering though what a freelancer exactly does??

erine1881

Re: A quick question about freelancing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaannxx3
Well ladies and gents ive just been offered a freelancing position at my local MAC counter but unfortunately im to young.
I'll be going back though when i turn 18 =].
I was justing wondering though what a freelancer exactly does??

when extra bodies are needed to do makeup during events or busy times, freelancers come in and do makeup appts. it is not a permanent counter position, nor are you a MAC employee. also, you do not get a discount on product. you only work a limited number of hours. our freelancers work about 8-15 hours per month at the most. when we have thurs/fri/sat collection events every three months, they work one fri/sat shift for those three months. does that help?

SunshineOne

Re: A quick question about freelancing??

I would say that it depends on the location/region. I say this because I freelance for MAC as well as a few other companies and I have been kept very busy this Fall. They also use Freelancers for what is called "On Call" hours where they call you to work to fill-in shift gaps when they are short staffed. In the few month I've been freelancing for MAC I have met several veteran (4-5 yrs) on call freelancers. Many have other proferssional gigs (photo shoots/celebrity clients etc) and work @ MAC during thier less busy times.

HTH

astronaut

I'm sooo confused (freelancing questions)

I'm looking to apply as a freelancer for MAC in a couple months. I've heard of posters on here who have applied in different locations for permanent positions. Would it be useless if I apply at the store and the counter since freelancers can work in different locations anyway? Also, can you even apply as a freelancer at a MAC inside Nordstroms? I'm confused about the whole, "If you work at the store, pro store, Macy's you work for MAC but if you work at a Nordstrom MAC counter you work for Nordstrom" thing. In the case of a Nordstrom MAC counter, would you go to the counter for an application or the Nordstrom HR department or... whatever?

Sooo confused lol. Help is much appreciated!

MisStarrlight

Re: I'm sooo confused (freelancing questions)

Generally freelancers are hired through the main store in the region, but this is not always the case. Ask at the specific locations you are interested in working at for the way they do things.

Latest posts