Freelancing for MAC

girlsaidwhat

Re: How to start freelancing??

The link isn't working because there are 2 http:// 's. If you click on it, when it doesn't work just go into the address and take out the extra http:// .
: )

kimmy

1) Do all my portfolio pics need to be professional shots done with a photographer??
not per se. however, they do need to look professional. misschievious posted a wonderful tutorial on taking good makeup photos in the tutorials forum here.

2) Do any of you MUAs have a separate make-up kit for work and for personal use- or do you just sanitise products??
it's usually better to have two seperate kits, one for your own personal use and one for professional use. your professional kit should have a wider array of tones and colours (as well as a variety of foundations and powders for different skin tones) and should be sanitized after every use.

3) What are the essentials for your kit??
definately a variety of foundation and powder colours to match every and any ethinicity you may be working on. you don't need to buy every single shade, but teach yourself how to mix foundations to create custom shades to save yourself some $
winks.gif

4) How do I decide how much to charge..per hour..per client..dependant on style etc..??
it all depends on the project. most weddings are a flat rate per face and then an hourly rate for however long the bride wants to keep you on hand for touch ups. photoshoots are generally paid by face.

5) Will I be able to get a discount at any high-end make-up brands (eg MAC, nars, Bobbi Brown etc) without a qualification certificate??
you will have to provide proof to any of these companies that you are working in the field. a business card, i've heard, is one good form of proof.
smiles.gif

ambert9791

Thanks for putting this question out. I was just trying to decide how to ask the same question. I attended cosmetology school but moved with very few hours left to finish. I intended to transfer but we all now how that is. I ended up getting pregnant with my daughter and now I'm a stay at home mom. I love staying home, but soon she will go to school and I thought I better find out as much info as I can because hopefully I'll be working then. So I to would be grateful for any advice on this subject. Thanks
smiles.gif

diorgrl

Re: Freelancing for MAC Cosmetics HELP!

More freelance questions please!!
smiles.gif

I just started freelance! Woo hoo!!! I pretty much got thrown in right away
winks.gif
So questions...

1. Are we given our own set of brushes?

2. Do we get a MAC necklace?

3. Do we get to go to Basic and/or Update?

4. Do we get the discount and gratis? (I think no?)

5. Anything else freelance does not get compared to permanent?

Thanks!!!

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgrl

1. Generally no, but some counters/stores have extra brushes left over and will let freelancers use them. I hear it's better to just bring your own since those brushes could be really used and beat up. Ask the location where you are freelancing and see what their policy is.

2. Pretty sure this is a no. Jewelry is for permanent employees.

3. Basic and Update are, once again, only for permanent employees. Though some managers at certain counters/stores will let freelancers go to Update (though this is a pretty rare occasion). I've only ever read/heard about this type of situation once.

4. No gratis, only permanent employees, but then again, they might have gratis leftover and the manager might be nice enough to give you whatever is left, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Gratis is supposed to be only for permanent artists and I believe, from what my manager told me, they are pretty strict about it. As far as the discount, this depends on region/counter/store. From reading posts on here, it seems to REALLY vary region to region, counter to counter, store to store. So, I would just ask the manager wherever you're freelancing to see if they will let you use the discount, which I believe is 40% not the full percent perm. employees get.

5. No set schedule given to freelancers, unless one location decides they want you to exclusively freelance for them. I'm sure there are more but I cannot think off the top of my head.

diorgrl

Thanks lipshock! How has it been going for you so far? Have you got the hang of everything yet?

lipshock

Quote:
Thanks lipshock! How has it been going for you so far? Have you got the hang of everything yet?

Hehe, girly, I haven't even had a day in the store yet. I've just been to Update and shadowing my Asst. Manager. My first REAL day in the store is next Tuesday. So, I've got some time to wait.

lilchocolatema

Hey there, congrats!

1. You don't get your own set of brushes, some locations want you to bring your own, some provide for you. Just ask before you go in!

2. Nope, you don't get a necklace.

3. You don't go to basic UNLESS you work like 40 hours a week for a few months or something like that. It has happened before. But it's very, very rare. If you work there long enough, you won't need basic. There is a FL update, however. Niki, Sarah and I will be going next Sunday!

4. Your discount is 30% as a FL/OC artist, but use your pro card and get that 40% girl! Gratis is not usually given out, but it's not impossible to get a few items here and there. Depends on who you are working for and how long you have been working there.

5. No not really, you can set your hours and don't get penalized for not making your goal. This makes it SO worth it to be FL/OC. It's just my opinion, but not being permanent makes working for MAC more enjoyable and less stressful. You'll love it!! Have fun!

Quote:
More freelance questions please!!
smiles.gif

I just started freelance! Woo hoo!!! I pretty much got thrown in right away
winks.gif
So questions...

Thanks!!!

diorgrl

Hi!!! Thanks so much! I went in just for paper work, and it ended up turning into my first day on the floor b/c they were busy! lol! I got right into it!

What do you mean by you can set your own hours? Right now they just tell me shifts they have available and whether or not I can take it...can I change the actual hours of the shift?

Also, what the best thing to do to get to know everyone and how/where can I help out the most?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchocolatema
Hey there, congrats!

1. You don't get your own set of brushes, some locations want you to bring your own, some provide for you. Just ask before you go in!

2. Nope, you don't get a necklace.

3. You don't go to basic UNLESS you work like 40 hours a week for a few months or something like that. It has happened before. But it's very, very rare. If you work there long enough, you won't need basic. There is a FL update, however. Niki, Sarah and I will be going next Sunday!

4. Your discount is 30% as a FL/OC artist, but use your pro card and get that 40% girl! Gratis is not usually given out, but it's not impossible to get a few items here and there. Depends on who you are working for and how long you have been working there.

5. No not really, you can set your hours and don't get penalized for not making your goal. This makes it SO worth it to be FL/OC. It's just my opinion, but not being permanent makes working for MAC more enjoyable and less stressful. You'll love it!! Have fun!

FacesbyNiki

Bringing in your own brushes is the best thing because at times, the brushes that they do have for you are a bit beat up. Just make sure they are MAC brushes!!! LOL

By setting your own hours, she means, you can work when you want too. You don't have to accept every assignment that is offered to you.

And yes there is a freelancer update now.
cheerleader.gif

lilchocolatema

Yep, Niki summed it up. Best way to get to know everyone is to do your makeup the same way you did it for your first interview whenever it was, and go in and meet the counter managers. You can call them as well, but it's much more likely that you will get a call back if they like the way you look and check out your personality. Trust me, when they need help, they will call you!!

Quote:
Hi!!! Thanks so much! I went in just for paper work, and it ended up turning into my first day on the floor b/c they were busy! lol! I got right into it!

What do you mean by you can set your own hours? Right now they just tell me shifts they have available and whether or not I can take it...can I change the actual hours of the shift?

Also, what the best thing to do to get to know everyone and how/where can I help out the most?

Thanks!!

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Yep, Niki summed it up. Best way to get to know everyone is to do your makeup the same way you did it for your first interview whenever it was, and go in and meet the counter managers. You can call them as well, but it's much more likely that you will get a call back if they like the way you look and check out your personality. Trust me, when they need help, they will call you!!

Oh my gawd do they.
thud.gif

I'm taking off the last weekend in October.
rofl.gif

diorgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Bringing in your own brushes is the best thing because at times, the brushes that they do have for you are a bit beat up. Just make sure they are MAC brushes!!! LOL

By setting your own hours, she means, you can work when you want too. You don't have to accept every assignment that is offered to you.

And yes there is a freelancer update now.
cheerleader.gif

OOOOoooohhh!! ...Freelancer update?!? When did this start? recently? I asked my homebase manager and she said the freelancers that work a lot of hours will sometimes get sent to update...but not basic.

diorgrl

Quote:

Thanks!! Ya I'm actually getting a lot of hours at my home store...so I don't really have time to take on other stores shifts!

How do I get to know everyone at my home store? And what are the best things I can do to help everyone out? When it's slow, can you chat w/ eachother or is everyone supposed to be cleaning on their own etc..?

Jennifer Mcfly

This is awesome! I'm getting into doing more freelance and these were great questions for people just starting!
One question I have:

Someone once told me that if you were going to be a freelance artist not with a company that you had to be licensed since you are touching other people's faces. Is this true? and if so, what does it entail? Schooling license? or just that you are licensed and insured through yourself?

Thanks!!

SeXy MAC LuveR

Re: Freaked-Out Freelancer :(

The employees that are supplied with brushes and a belt, do you keep the brushes for your own personal use as well or do they stay at the store afterwards?

lara

Re: Freaked-Out Freelancer :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsinsorrow
You learn more and acquire more skill by getting your hands dirty than by standing around at a counter on a slow Monday afternoon, for example.

Not necessarily. Slow Monday mornings might not be a trial by fire education, but that's when you can really work on your PK, get sales tips, pick the brains of an artist you admire, read the season books, step off-floor and read the store ops manuals... take advantage of what you have access to during quiet moments, don't just wait for the busy periods.

Latest posts