Freelancing for MAC

Miss_Jackie

Mac Freelancers in UTAH?

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if there are any more MAC freelancers/ counter employees here on specktra? I am a freelancer and with there only being 3 counters in Utah I have only worked at the counters 3 times since I have been a freelancer (9 months now). I was wondering if everyone is getting no hours or if I need to start making some phone calls. I am very interested in seeing what everyone else thinks about the situation here in utah.

thanks!

lyttleravyn

Re: freelance artist help

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSLGuy
Just to add another thing, if you freelance for MAC you can not work for any other cosmetic company (freelance or otherwise).

If you can't Freelance anywhere else, is Freelancing for MAC enough to apply for a MAC Pro card? I'm on MAC's Freelance list and am on the schedule for next Saturday as my first day with them. Besides doing friend's makeup and some makeup for a high school musical (the high school my mom teaches at), I don't have any other professional credentials. Thanks in advance!

lyttleravyn

Freelancing for MAC & Pro Card?

Hey guys, I asked in another thread, but no one answered; I also tried searching and couldn't find a specific answer either.

One of the threads said if you freelance for MAC you can't freelance other places since its a conflict of interest. I have my first shift at a MAC counter (as freelance) this weekend, besides that I've only done a few girl's makeup for proms and high school plays, nothing professional. Would freelancing for MAC qualify me for their Pro Card? (Maybe including a pay stub after I get paid, and the girls at the counter really like me I might be able to swing a letter from the counter manager). But is that enough for a card or will I have to do more professional things first? Thanks in advance!

<3 Lynn

chynegal

Re: Freelancing for MAC & Pro Card?

i would think you would have to have all the credentials that would require you for the pro card as a makeup artist. i would say maybe after a few times oh working with them ask because you dont want to seem like you just want the discount

I wish I could help you with the exact question you're asking, but I have no clue if any letters would help (I was able to send in my certificates from my makeup school and a business card). But the advice I would like to give (not sure if anyone already told you), try faxing your application and stuff in. Like fax it and then call them. It makes the process go a lot faster. When you drop it off at the store, they only send apps out one day a week (I think tuesdays). So you'd have to wait for MAC to even get it. And then when you mail it, it takes about 3 months for everything to go through (that's what I did at first). But my friend faxed hers in and when she was on the phone with MAC, they were able to process her info and give her the card number so that she could still make purchases through the online store and certain freestanding stores. Wish I could help you with more info hun!

L1LMAMAJ

someone who works at mac told me that you can get the mac freelancer discount 30% if u show them ur pay stub within the last 30 days. if u apply for a pro card as a makeup artist not associated with MAC (like if u freelance on the side on ur own time), u can get 40% off

lyttleravyn

Thanks for your responses, I'll see if I can chat with the manager at my counter or the District Manager since he'll be there the day I'm working. Don't want to go through the application process and things to discover I've left something out
smiles.gif

Annie

A letter from the store manager and a pay stub worked for a girl who freelances at my store, so it should work for you.

rafaaa

as far as I know there's no freelancer discount at the moment, at least in my district. It comes back and forth, but right now there's nothing :/

tina1wina13

Re: How to start freelancing??

I have a question , when your creating a portfolio is it ok to include pictures of your self as some of your work?

catemoody

I recently became a MAC freelance artist, still waiting to get a shift!
I really want to apply for the pro card so I can start freelancing on my own, doing friends makeup, bridal, prom and what not since Im not 'allowed' to work for any other cosmetic company- stated by MAC
I do not have a diploma or certificate to send in as proof since I have never went to school
I am having a hard time finding a second piece of i.d
Should I ask the MAC counter manager to make a letter with a proffesional header to send in?
would that be a problem since I haven't started a shift?
I personally feel I am considered a makeup artist, and I really need this pro card so I can get more experience!
What identification did you send in for your pro card?
Thanks!

looovemac

Re: Pro card for MAC Freelancers?

Flyer, business card and the fee my friend sent and she got her pro card
smiles.gif

colt0410

Re: Do MAC freelancers get the same treatment?

yeah you don't formally get trained, but honestly I've learned a whole lot more being on the floor than at the training sessions. If you freelance, you can shadow some of the artist, and you pick up a lot more about product knowledge and application that way.

makeuptianna

Friday Freelance Interview

I just got a call to set up my appointment this Friday for
mac_haul.gif
as a Freelance! (DO U FEEL MY EXCITEMENT)! Im a bottle of nerves but how is the interview process for freelancers? Do we even get a brush belt? How many interviews does freelancers have to go threw?

lyttleravyn

Re: Friday Freelance Interview

I think the interviewing process is similar for both freelance and permanent, the manager at my local counter told me usually when a permanent position opens up they will look at their freelancers first for it. I've been on the freelance list for about 8 months or so, and only got called last month a few times. You don't get your own brushbelt, however most counters (and I'm assuming stores too), each have a freelance belt that you would use while you work.

I don't know if my interview process was exactly the norm since the regular interview was pretty informal because the manager knew me pretty well (I've been working at that mall for years and I'm a very regular MAC shopper) and she knew that I was very knowledgeable about MAC already. I had two demo appointments, one with just the counter manager and another with the regional manager. I think originally there was a parttime position open, but then I think MAC went into a hiring freeze so they couldn't give me anything more than freelance, so you might only have one demo.

But it sounds like the interview they are calling you in for is just the oral interview with management. Brush up on your MAC history, products, Viva Glam and B2M programs, etc. Also if you have any retail experience, make sure you talk that up. After the oral interview, they will usually call you back to set up your demo. There are a number of threads about demos that you could check out, pretty much you bring a model and they give you a look to do on her. Sometimes the looks are "red carpet glamour," "smokey eye," "day to night," etc. During the demo, treat your model like a client. Discuss what you are using and with what (tools, brushes, etc.), and also keep your area very clean.

Hope that helps! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great
smiles.gif

makeuptianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttleravyn
I think the interviewing process is similar for both freelance and permanent, the manager at my local counter told me usually when a permanent position opens up they will look at their freelancers first for it. I've been on the freelance list for about 8 months or so, and only got called last month a few times. You don't get your own brushbelt, however most counters (and I'm assuming stores too), each have a freelance belt that you would use while you work.

I don't know if my interview process was exactly the norm since the regular interview was pretty informal because the manager knew me pretty well (I've been working at that mall for years and I'm a very regular MAC shopper) and she knew that I was very knowledgeable about MAC already. I had two demo appointments, one with just the counter manager and another with the regional manager. I think originally there was a parttime position open, but then I think MAC went into a hiring freeze so they couldn't give me anything more than freelance, so you might only have one demo.

But it sounds like the interview they are calling you in for is just the oral interview with management. Brush up on your MAC history, products, Viva Glam and B2M programs, etc. Also if you have any retail experience, make sure you talk that up. After the oral interview, they will usually call you back to set up your demo. There are a number of threads about demos that you could check out, pretty much you bring a model and they give you a look to do on her. Sometimes the looks are "red carpet glamour," "smokey eye," "day to night," etc. During the demo, treat your model like a client. Discuss what you are using and with what (tools, brushes, etc.), and also keep your area very clean.

Hope that helps! Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great
smiles.gif

I wanna say thank u for taking the time out to even respond back to me! Im so appreciative for that! I love this company so much I could careless what they was offering. I spend all my money with this company! Just to know that Im a employee is good and a blessed thing for me! I wanna learn I wanna grow as a employee and hopefully oneday be a Senior Makeup Artist!!!

lorinda.bluma

Re: Pro card for MAC Freelancers?

you need to send in $35 in a money order, Drivers License and submit an application..

what i did was:

- Sent in a business card
- Sent in a comp card.

you can make a comp card on photoshop. just get 3 pictures of whatever makeup you do (different looks) with your full name, job title, phone number, email address... and IF you have a website (like a model mayhem account) include that as well on the card.

thats the EASIEST thing and BOOM there goes 40% discount. then they will send in your card within a month. since its coming from canada getting shipped to new york then shipped to where ever u live

MartiniTini

Hi! I'm new to the forum! *Waves to everyone*

I'm in the DMV area and would like to work freelance. I understand that Maryland no longer offers Makeup Artist licenses...now the classes are invaluable but...I'm a tad confused? Is there anyone else here from DMV area that can help me understand this? LOL

aninhabr85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniTini
Hi! I'm new to the forum! *Waves to everyone*

I'm in the DMV area and would like to work freelance. I understand that Maryland no longer offers Makeup Artist licenses...now the classes are invaluable but...I'm a tad confused? Is there anyone else here from DMV area that can help me understand this? LOL

They don't require license ANYMORE... but I wouldn't consider classes invaluable as you will learn a lot of sanitation procedures(which IS the most important thing when working with clients) plus basic makeup application and even get a starter kit of makeup

bad girl glam

congrats girl! i know how you feel! i had my first interview on 01/15/2010. i made it to round 2, but haven't got a date for my demo interview yet. the recruiter interviewed a lot of people, so i'm sure she is just really busy right now, but i'm very excited and can't wait for it as well.

just like the above post stated, that is what will consist of the interview process. they may throw in a couple of questions not discussed, but i'm sure you will be fine!

come back and tell us how it went and good luck!

Latest posts