Freelancing for MAC

Re: How to start freelancing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea
No freelance MA anywhere requires a license.

WELLLL, technically, as per the state board guidelines in pretty much every state, the only people that are even legally ALLOWED to touch people's faces (speaking of only the beauty industry though) are those with cosmetologists or esthetics licenses. Many state board guidelines in many states (if not all of them) state that only licensed COSMETOLOGIST can touch the "scalp" (so estheticians are not). CLEARLY, state board guidelines are really antiquated and need overhaul.

In Illinois, for example, estheticians are NOT legally permitted to use peels with lower than a pH of 3. And if you know a thing or two about peels, pH, free acid value, pka values and all that fun stuff, in order to do much to the skin, acids should usually be much lower than that. DOCTORS can perform unbuffered acid peels and I know many derms offices who have the esthetician do them but legally, the only one who is supposed to do unbuffered peels/peels lower than a pH of 3 are DOCTORS.

So in short, yes, you are SUPPOSED to have either a cosmotologist license or esthetics license even just to do makeup (because you're touching the face and you're using tools that need to follow proper sanitation standards). But its not like there is a state board beauty cop who is going to report every makeup brush wielding 18 year old who works for Ulta. LOL

CajunFille'

^
lol.gif
Legalities and MAC all in one post, damn I love SPECKTRA!

nursee81

ok ladies and gents I need some help I have grown the balls to actually apply for MAC as a freelance artist. which is the only one I would be able to do for now. I have done make up in the past just freelancing for myself. I haven't done any make recently. How would I go about putting a resume together. I have been in nursing school the last year and a half and working as a nurse but make up is my passion please help. TIA

I have a quick question for those who freelance for MAC.....

I got hired a little over three weeks ago to freelenace for MAC. She told me it would take a little while for the new hire paperwork to come in BC she said it was "backed up" in the company. So I've just been waiting waiting and waiting. I just wanted to know if this is normal or abnormal? Or is this just what happens to the freelance team for MAC? I just want to get started already!! Has this happened to you or some1 you know? If anyone has any insightful advice or commets plz respond. Thanx!

Enchantedcameo

The best time ever!

I was hired on as freelancer at my local Mac counter. I worked 3 days this past week and let me tell you I had the best time of my life. My first few days where prom season so it was a little crazy especially on Saturday, but I held my own and did good. So happy I took the position.

nursee81

I am still waiting on my number so I can start working. the manager said that it would take 10 business day and its been longer than that. i;m just waiting patiently Yeah right I am so ready to start working.

SweetestTreat

I'm need some opinions. I am interested in freelancing for MAC but after reading this entire thread, I don't know if it would be the best fit for me. Right now I'm working a full time job and I don't plan on quitting or giving up any of my hours. I know freelancing would be really fun and give me a lot of experience, but it seems like that would be the only benefits for me. If I had to buy my own brushes, I don't know that it would be worth it. Ideally, I'd love to get a part time position only working one day a week so I could go to basic and get all the training while keeping my other job. Does that ever happen? What would any of you suggest?
th_dunno.gif

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetestTreat
I'm need some opinions. I am interested in freelancing for MAC but after reading this entire thread, I don't know if it would be the best fit for me. Right now I'm working a full time job and I don't plan on quitting or giving up any of my hours. I know freelancing would be really fun and give me a lot of experience, but it seems like that would be the only benefits for me. If I had to buy my own brushes, I don't know that it would be worth it. Ideally, I'd love to get a part time position only working one day a week so I could go to basic and get all the training while keeping my other job. Does that ever happen? What would any of you suggest?
th_dunno.gif

The lowest hours I ever saw was 10 hours a week so they have you work 2-3 days.

aninhabr85

That was I was about to say. The lowest I saw it was a 8 hour a week but they still would work 2 shifs per week(saturday being a MUST)
You mention something about having to buy your own brushes if you are a freelancer. You DONT have to buy your own brushes if you freelance for mac.. if you work a a counter or store they will be provided to you so you can use it during that shift. If you want to do freelancing work outside mac.. then YES, you have to buy you own brushes to work for yourself =)

SweetestTreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninhabr85
That was I was about to say. The lowest I saw it was a 8 hour a week but they still would work 2 shifs per week(saturday being a MUST)
You mention something about having to buy your own brushes if you are a freelancer. You DONT have to buy your own brushes if you freelance for mac.. if you work a a counter or store they will be provided to you so you can use it during that shift. If you want to do freelancing work outside mac.. then YES, you have to buy you own brushes to work for yourself =)

I was reading throughout the thread that usually they're pretty crappy brushes though. Hopefully, they wouldn't be, but if they were I would probably just buy some of my own when I had the money. Thank you both so much for the feedback though! I guess I'll just wait it out and talk to some of the MAs that I'm close to and see if they can keep an ear out for me
yes.gif

CandeeNova

how do you go about it? i'm also interested in freelancing for mac, but i don't know where to start. do i just walk in and ask for a job? help?

SweetestTreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandeeNova
how do you go about it? i'm also interested in freelancing for mac, but i don't know where to start. do i just walk in and ask for a job? help?

Yeah, my sister just applied yesterday. We went to our local counter and asked if they had an application. I know it's different for Nordstrom counters though. I believe you would apply online for those.

CandeeNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetestTreat
Yeah, my sister just applied yesterday. We went to our local counter and asked if they had an application. I know it's different for Nordstrom counters though. I believe you would apply online for those.

Thank you! :)

ImMACnificent

I have been doing freelance make up for over a year now working independently with models, photographers, group photoshoots, etc. I had a decent portfolio built up already.

I contacted the regional recruiter in my area by email asking if they had any positions available. She asked for my resume and portfolio. I emailed it to her immediately and got offered a phone interview with her. Right after our phone interview, she offered me a make up demo interview at one of my local counters. I had the group demo interview on the 22nd and got a call on July 2nd from my original interviewer that I got the job. I am now waiting for a call from my local freelance coordinator for paperwork.

I hope I can make it on permanently.
smiles.gif

lilMAClady

Ok I went in to fill out paperwork and stuff today for a freelance position. I wanted to know if there was any discount I'd be eligible for? She said I didn't get the employee discount which I understood, but since I do actually work for M.A.C is there ANY perk extended to freelance artists? After I left the meeting I actually felt pretty let down because it seemed like freelancers aren't important enough to recieve any company love at all! Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated!
smiles.gif