Freelancing for MAC

YvetteJeannine

smiles.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmnbv
I was thinking that same thing.....your're allowed to keep your maiden name no1 can make you change your name or your ss card...Ive been married 1 1/2 years and my SS card and my DL and everything else still is my maiden name...and it has not caused any drama b4

Yes, it's true..you are allowed to keep your maiden name, and not have to change any of your I.D.'s. Yet, I think (and, Cingels..correct me if I am wrong) that Cingels TOOK her husband's surname...That is why she must change her I.D.'s.

See, if a woman gets married and takes the surname of her husband, that is her new last name, and she must change all her I.D.'s over to the new surname. So that is why MAC cannot accept the SSC w/ her maiden name on it...because, technically it isn't her name anymore
smiles.gif

Cingels

<<<<Yes, it's true..you are allowed to keep your maiden name, and not have to change any of your I.D.'s. Yet, I think (and, Cingels..correct me if I am wrong) that Cingels TOOK her husband's surname...That is why she must change her I.D.'s.

See, if a woman gets married and takes the surname of her husband, that is her new last name, and she must change all her I.D.'s over to the new surname. So that is why MAC cannot accept the SSC w/ her maiden name on it...because, technically it isn't her name anymore>>>>

Righto ;-) I took my DH name(its my married name on my liscense,other documents) but never got a new SSC w my married name on it.

giz2000

As a freelancer, you are not limited to just that one counter...I rotate between 4 counters and always have steady hours (when I want them, that is).

Here's what you do...go to as many MAC counters/freestanding stores that are within your travel zone (meaning as far as you would want to go for work), and let them know that you are a freelancer with MAC and that you are available for on-calls and event work. I had a friend who did this and she gets called by at least 3-4 counters per week for work. Good luck!

professionaltart

giz2000 just gave you great advice.

im not sure what the deal with freelancers are since i havent seen one at my counter since Cuturebloom and before that CHRISTMAS time but I think the countermanager is given a set # of hrs to assign to freelancers and when theres no hours to be given then theres no freelancers.

i know that much cause my friend Suzie is a freelancer for us and shes pissssed.

Cingels

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
As a freelancer, you are not limited to just that one counter...I rotate between 4 counters and always have steady hours (when I want them, that is).

Here's what you do...go to as many MAC counters/freestanding stores that are within your travel zone (meaning as far as you would want to go for work), and let them know that you are a freelancer with MAC and that you are available for on-calls and event work. I had a friend who did this and she gets called by at least 3-4 counters per week for work. Good luck!

Yea I would love to but my MAC counter is the only one within a 45 mile radius ;-( Im thinking about applying at other counters(Perscriptives,Shesiedo,Lancome,etc) -is that allowed?

sarabethykins

I am also a mac freelance artist and had the same problem. It is because (like giz2000) said the counter gets a limited number of hours. The counter that I work at only gets a certain number per event and if they don't use them they lose them...and corporate will not keep giving as many. So what may have happened at the counter you were hired at is they haven't had a freelancer in a while so corporate is only giving them a small amount of hours. It sucks, but thats what you get when you work for a huge company...its all part of the budget they have per year for freelance hours. Usually mac is very strict about "conflict of interest" situations, so working for another lauder company...or any other cosmetic line for that matter, probably isn't an option. I would ask the counter manager to be sure though. Hope this helps you and good luck
smiles.gif

allan_willb

Is the mac freelance job your ONLY job?Usually on-call/freelancers have other jobs.If it's your only job I'd recommend you to go and get another one and not at another make-up counter.Lancome,EL etc etc...LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION it's all about location with the freelancers...it's always gonna be like this esp if it's a slow counter.Are you doing on-call too?Or just freelance?How many freelancers does your counter have?Is your counter a million dollar counter?Another thing is that when you freelance you get paid more than just your on-call rate of pay.Mac usually only holds big freelance events a couple times a year.So to save the company money they'll just call you in as on-call instead of freelance.I'd just say stay as a freelancer and get "your time in" and get another job if u have the time and need the money.Another thing you wanna think about is how much love and passion do you have for mac and it's make up because they will start you off at good pay but some artists stay at that pay for YEARS!!!And I am so not kidding about that.See I live in Hawaii and we only have 2 counters on the whole island.1 in kona and 1 in hilo which is 2 hours away.Our macys counter is concidered "destination shopping" people only go there if they need something.It's not apart of a mall.So they are always slow.Even on the weekends sometimes.But they do make there goals...(sometimes)

Now in Oahu (another island) where they have a load of counters the on-calls/freelancers always rotate between counters so some on-calls make 37 hrs a week!But our on-call/freelancers on my island will never make anything close to that.

angrytoast.

Sorry if this is a really silly question...what's the difference between having an "on-call" position vs. a "freelance" position.
I mean, I sort of understand, but some people seem to use the two terms interchangeably, and others don't.

MisStarrlight

On-Call=Freelance

Technically "freelance" work is for events & "on-call" is your regular day to day shifts. When you are hired, your official title is "freelance/on-call"

My paperwork got processed really quickly-like a week (but then again, I got hired at holiday time & started working on Black Friday), but my hours have dropped down to nothing. I worked on March 25th & didn't hear anything from anyone until last week when I got called in to work Today (June 3rd). That's over 2 months where I didn't get called & I have my info in at 5 stores. Professionaltart has it right about how they do the freelance stuff. Rumor has it that Freelance/On-Call hours have dropped down to nothing. Some locations only use freelancers for events, but others have freelance time built into their schedule. My main counter used to have 1-3 freelancers on every Saturday & Sunday, but that's dropped off to almost nothing now (which I thought was weird because of prom season).

I quit my other job cause my MAC job was really working out, but I had to go back. I couldn't go that long without pay. I was about to actually give up on MAC, but then a conversation with my manager revealed the possibility of some really good news, so I'll stick around for a little bit while. I'd say feel out the situation & then get another job if necessary-preferably one with flexible hours. Good Luck.

lilchocolatema

EEk! You are all making me nervous! I got my paperwork submitted around May 5th and was told that my official start date will be on my birthday, May 11th. Well, I didn't get any calls so I called all the counters to see if they needed any people, and a few put me down to work. Now I guess I should call to make sure all of my paperwork went through. I'd be PISSED if I called in my hours and there was a problem. Thanks for posting your findings everyone.

Corvs Queen

What do you Freelancers (non MAC) charge???

So, yeah, I might be starting as a freelance makeup artisit at a local salon and was just curious as to what I sould charge. Any help is greatfully appreciated. Thanks!

hollhaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
So, yeah, I might be starting as a freelance makeup artisit at a local salon and was just curious as to what I sould charge. Any help is greatfully appreciated. Thanks!

Does the salon allow you to set your own price? Do you have a rental fee for working there? I would investigate what other salons are charging so you don't undercharge. Where I live salons charge about $50 for a makeup application.It costs more for a makeup lesson. But people who freelance on their own and travel to the client to do makeup charge up to $100 per person. And they get it. Keep in mind you're using your product. brushes, and general supplies. This all costs you money to replenish.

Corvs Queen

Oh, and I should mention that the clientel will mostly be for weddings and proms. Also, what's a good foundation rec for my kit?

TrusyMyEyes

How much are you willingly to spend on foundation? Also you should make sure you know how the foundation will show up in photos...titanium dioxide is a really bad substance to have in foundation cuase it gives this white powdery look when photos are taken.

In my kit I have..mac full coverage/pot concealors it's the same thing...I also have RCMA foundation.

Heres a link with really good prices for RCMA foundation.
http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com/
The small black palette does around 10 faces per color. The larger ones do more obviously. This is a very professional line.

Other good lines, that you just have to try and see if you like.
Makeup Forever
Joe Blasco
Cinema Secrets

Both of these foundations are creams.

I plan to buy MUFE face and body foundation sometime next month.

For proms and weddings especially weddings you have to have really good foundation. This most likely will be the most expensive item in your kit.

In my kit right now alone. I have over $400 in foundation. Plus I need to buy some more. $360 in RCMA..And around $260 in MUFE thats with a discount.

So save a little bit and get quality foundations.

If you are in a $200 budget. Go buy every pot concealor from MAC. Buy in every shade, this will help you out greatly. The pot concealors are the same thing as full coverage. You just need to know how to thin them out if you need less.

Hope this helped. I am a new artist as well.

bluegrassbabe

annrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
Oh, and I should mention that the clientel will mostly be for weddings and proms. Also, what's a good foundation rec for my kit?

A lot of these have already been mentioned, but I like:

RCMA
MUFE Face & Body
Cinema Secrets
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk

katie_070405

A great foundation I have found is from Performance Cosmetics ( a new line based out of nashville, TN). www.performancestudiosinc.com Their cream foundations are wonderful....and since they are a new brand, they are really cheap. ($12.50) They cover great and I've never had any complaints. I've even had customers order foundation from them. Their website doesn't have all of their correctors/neutralizers up yet. But, if you have any questions just call...they are extremely nice and will answer any questions you have.

TrusyMyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by annrose
A lot of these have already been mentioned, but I like:

RCMA
MUFE Face & Body
Cinema Secrets
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk

My mentor loves all of these...and Giorgio Armani she said was the truth..only for true celebrity clients cause it is sooo expensive.
But, I have RCMA..plan to get cinema secrets since it is wax based and I want MUFE Face & Body for my liquid.

But, first I have to get the dermacolor camoflauge palette..I love dermacolor.

Designergirl9

freelance questions?

do you go to the counter to get hired for this position?
do you only work at special events?
can you do makeup on your own for other people when you are not working for mac?
if you can't work a event they need you for will that get you fired or it open?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts