Freelancing for MAC

d_flawless

yes, depending on where you want to be "based" out of, however, you may still travel around for other events
i believe you can work the counter if needed?
yes, and you can as well if you work for the counter permanently, too...
i don't think so, since they call you ahead of time to ask, but i'm sure flexibility on weekends is vital for this position

FYI, i had a friend who freelanced, i'm not BSing from my own assumptions
winks.gif

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designergirl9
do you go to the counter to get hired for this position?

do you only work at special events?

can you do makeup on your own for other people when you are not working for mac?

if you can't work a event they need you for will that get you fired or it open?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

(1) Usually...in my area, you can apply at two stores where the freelance coordinators work...ask who and where they are in your area.

(2) No...you can also do on-call work, meaning you cover when there is a staff shortage at a counter or store.

(3) Of course!

(4) No...flexibility is key to the freelancer, but if you continuously turn jobs down, they will stop calling you!

xsparkage

Freelancing start up questions

I'd really like to start doing freelance makeup, and i am curious as to how any of you got started with that. did you work at a counter then go off and do your own thing? i dont know if retail is for me but i would really love to be able to do my own freelancing, i just dont know where to start.

any help would be much appreciated!!!!
greengrin.gif

ohhhhhthehorror

The best thing you can do it build up your portfolio and get your name out there.

Start by doing things for free, like test shoots with photographers, models, stylists, etc that you know. You will all end up with some great stuff for your portfolios.
Once you have a portfolio you will be able to use that to show to potential clients to get freelancing gigs. You will definitely want business cards because it's a great way to get your name out there. You can check online and find some sites that will help you create business cards for free.
In my experience, what helped me get started was to network with photographers that I know. Anything you do for them your name will go on and when they post what they have done, people will see your name, etc etc.

In conclusion, get your name out there!

=)

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhhhhthehorror
The best thing you can do it build up your portfolio and get your name out there.

Start by doing things for free, like test shoots with photographers, models, stylists, etc that you know. You will all end up with some great stuff for your portfolios.
Once you have a portfolio you will be able to use that to show to potential clients to get freelancing gigs. You will definitely want business cards because it's a great way to get your name out there. You can check online and find some sites that will help you create business cards for free.
In my experience, what helped me get started was to network with photographers that I know. Anything you do for them your name will go on and when they post what they have done, people will see your name, etc etc.

In conclusion, get your name out there!

=)

I second this!

It's all about getting experience (aka working for free/trade). Craigs List & Model Mayhem have been my best resources for photoshoots (fashion/print work).
For Bridal work, it's all about networking & building references. Put your business cards in salons, wedding dress stores & places like that (ask permission first, of course).
For tv/movie work-call universities & work on student films, get experience & eventually work toward getting in the union.

Make friends & good luck!

amoona

My Freelance Interview in SF

Hello again! Yesterday was my first post and today I'm jus followin up on that post. So I had my very first interview at Macy's Union Square (San Francisco, CA) for a free-lance position. I was very nervous because I really wanted to impress the managers and do some bright and noticable and funky with my eyes. (Which I hope paid off)

I got there super early, 8:30 AM, and Macy's security told me I had to wait till 8:45 so I just chilled. Finally went in, after what seemed like hours haha, and I took a seat. The manager said she expect about 20 people, some people were no-shows others showed up super late. There was bout 12 people or so. I was really suprised that a lot of people showed up with no make-up or wore very light make-up and it looked like they had no make-up on. They started by asking our names, if we're over 18, and if we work for an Esttee Lauder company. (NOTE: If you do work for E.L. and plan on apply to MAC let your managers and your D.M. know or MAC wont interview you!!)

They went on by asking you why we wanted to work for MAC, what was our make-up/retail experience, what our favorite MAC product is, what we know about the MAC company, what we think MAC's expectations are, if we know the dress code ... umm and that's all I remember them asking. They gave us a chance to ask whatever questions we had. IDK if it's like this everyone, but they said free-lancing is how they hire their permanet MAs. That's cool with me though because I want to free-lance, for school scheduling purposes.

They said that they would give everyone a call back by the end of next week to let us know if we get to the next interview ... which everyone knows is the demo interview. The manager gave us some tips on the demo too, she said that they're looking for communication with our models. They also want to make sure we can do the demo in 30 minutes and we have to display out ability to do a full face of make-up. She said it doesn't have to be the most amazing thing, that looks like we've worked for MAC for five years but we have to show our ability to do it. Ooo and she said if we become perm employees we have a five day basic training as well as continuous training. I'd love to become a perm employee but idk if it'll work with my school schedule right now. :confused: The other comforting thing too is that they said as a MAC employee we can transfer to other MAC stores. I asked because I plan on going to school in Beirut, Lebanon (as seen in the news) in a year or so and they said I would be able to transfer their because they like to promote within.

I felt really good about it so hopefully the call back is for a demo interview?! I just felt the need to spread the news. hehe

KMFH

Freelancing options....

Hey all, I have a question that I hope some of you can answer for me...

Im wondering who you actually apply to to get freelance jobs @ counters in department stores (ie neimans, saks, etc) or Sephora? Also any other info you all would happen to have on this would be awesome. Things like what helps in getting it, what counters offer this position, ballpark pay rates, ballpark scheduling info, really any info at all would rock!

Thanks so much everyone!

Jette

Freaked-Out Freelancer :(

Hey guys!
I just registered here on the board and yesterday was my second day doing freelance work...and let me start by saying, I'M SO INTIMIDATED! You really think you know what you're doing until you come to work and everyone else knows loads more than you do!
anyways, I don't work again until saturday, and I'd love some tips from others who understand how I'm feeling! How did you guys handle your first few times doing freelance work?
Please, let me know! I'm so greatful for any responses!!
smiles.gif

~Jette

giz2000

First of all...don't be intimidated...everyone has to start somewhere...the trick here is to ask questions, and offer to help everyone as much as possible (meaning both customers and counter staff). Counter staff LOVE a freelancer who spends their time doing something (offer to clean brushes, put product back, grab a product for a customer, clean counters, etc). This way, you also learn about the ins and outs of the business and eventually become a pro!!!!

Jette

oh.. and what about getting my own brushes?? I've just been using the extra ones they have there... but I heard someone say that freelancers are supposed to have all of their own (including a brush belt). This is pretty expensive, but I guess I'll do what I have to do. Where might I acquire my own brush belt?
yes, I'm full of questions.

DaizyDeath

i got my black brush belt from sallys its cotton and washes easily
it was a while ago
so im not shure if they still carry them

ebonyannette

Yes girl work that Pro Card! I dont work in the industry but good luck. It sounds like you just have a case of nerves. Just Relax and most importantly have fun. Specktra will help you become so much more knowledgable
smiles.gif

Search the forums so you can see whats hot for the different skin tones and get inspiration. You'll be fine.

Jette

you guys are life-savers. thank you!
.... I know I have lots of questions, but no one told me anything when I started! (I'm kinda floating in the dark here. lol) So, I should get the Pro Card. Is that because freelancers don't get discounts until they're permanent, or what?
thank you so much!!!

amoona

wow so i'm totally sidebusting on this one, sorry guys haha. but i'm having my demo interview in a week and it's for a freelance position. so i had no idea that when you work for mac you have to buy your own brushes? is it like that everywhere? obviously they haven't told me these type of things because i haven't been offered the job yet. and what are the requirements for a pro card? aaahh now i'm nervous too because i'm way too broke to afford to buy mac's brush set. i have a 20 brush set i bought on e-bay for like $15 ...

Latest posts