Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I already washed the brush and tried it, I was so impatient, lol. I applied The Perfect Cheek with it, wich I wasn't completely sold on when I applied it with MAC brushes. But with this one - just lovely! I feel like it applies it much more evenly. It will be great for blush, contour and highlighter I'm sure.
The softness really is amazing, most of my other brushes seem scratchy now. OMG, what have I done?!
worms.gif
That's exactly what I feared would happend, I definitely need more. At least a powder brush, a blush brush and some eye brushes.

mosha010

Quote:Originally Posted by mosha010

@pinkdollface yea i was looking between the g5557 and the g5554.. i think im going for the 5554 since i want a lighter application.
the 130 i started using for mineralized skin finishes.. lol.. and the sigma its way too dense.. i feel it doesnt sink foundation into my pores enough..

The G5554 looks nice too. If you want a lighter application that one will be better indeed. Hakuhodo also recommends the ones with 4mm for lighter application and the ones with 2mm for heavier application. How do you use the 130 with MSFs? I tried it with an EDSF, but it was way too much coverage for a highlighter.
I use it stippling across my nose and the arch of my eye when I want to use a strong highliter like superb during the day.. It picks up very little but still you can tell I'm highlited aND I just made my 3rd order, small haul since I'm keeping it around 100bucks to not break the bank too much: g5554 B104. I went with the b104 after chatting w the hakuhodo gurus for a bit about it and explaining to them what I wanted it for. They say it's the same thing as the s104 but $20 bucks less and I you don't care about the handle type you're good w the B one. Talking and whatnot I put the order and it was like 6pm so they told me it would ship tomorrow. After a bit I get an email from them telling me that they will ship them out today and I will get them Thursday!!!! They're the nicest ! Brush WIN!

mosha010

I already washed the brush and tried it, I was so impatient, lol. I applied The Perfect Cheek with it, wich I wasn't completely sold on when I applied it with MAC brushes. But with this one - just lovely! I feel like it applies it much more evenly. It will be great for blush, contour and highlighter I'm sure.
The softness really is amazing, most of my other brushes seem scratchy now. OMG, what have I done?!
worms.gif
That's exactly what I feared would happend, I definitely need more. At least a powder brush, a blush brush and some eye brushes.
That's how I started. Now all my Mac brushes feel SO crappy in comparison.... :(

Pinkdollface

worms.gif
Haha I know my other brushes feel scratchy now too. Some of my Mac brushes are still fine, but definitely not the 116 blush brush. I much prefer the J110 over that one. I'm glad it really helped with the application of blush. The shape of these brushes is superior to other brushes and that makes it so much easier to apply product. If you love the Mac 217 then you'll love the J5523. It's also not too expensive. That's the best eye brush I have. I prefer my Mac 239 over the J242G, so if you already love the Mac stay with that one.

Quote: Originally Posted by mosha010

I use it stippling across my nose and the arch of my eye when I want to use a strong highliter like superb during the day.. It picks up very little but still you can tell I'm highlited

aND I just made my 3rd order, small haul since I'm keeping it around 100bucks to not break the bank too much:

g5554
B104.

I went with the b104 after chatting w the hakuhodo gurus for a bit about it and explaining to them what I wanted it for. They say it's the same thing as the s104 but $20 bucks less and I you don't care about the handle type you're good w the B one. Talking and whatnot I put the order and it was like 6pm so they told me it would ship tomorrow. After a bit I get an email from them telling me that they will ship them out today and I will get them Thursday!!!! They're the nicest ! Brush WIN!
Thanks! I felt like it did pick up a lot of product, but I'll give it another try. I think I might need to be more careful when picking the product up from the pan.

I'd love to know how you like your brushes. I'm so in love with the G5557 and I think I want some of the other variations for maybe cream blush and bronzer. The B104 seems like the black hair version of the J104. I think I'm going to try a black hair brush too next time. They are a bit cheaper, but I've heard they are not as soft. If you could compare it to the softness of a Mac brush that would be great
smiles.gif

mosha010

Yea I'm going to compare it as soon as I get them. I wanted to try their black goat brushes cause so far I've gotten all J series / white goat ones... I'm slowly replacing my Mac brushes for these lol... That's actually why I wanted a powder brush cause the Mac one I have just sheds everywhere and it's rather scratchy

Ajigglin

I'm about to pull the trigger on the J110 because I do need a brush for EDSFs. Is there a cheaper Hakuhodo brush that will do the trick? Is there a MAC version that will work as well?

mosha010

I'm about to pull the trigger on the J110 because I do need a brush for EDSFs. Is there a cheaper Hakuhodo brush that will do the trick? Is there a MAC version that will work as well?
Get it. J110 is an amazing brush. You won't regret it. No other brush I've tried comes close.

Ajigglin

Also, what's the best brush for liquid foundation? I've been using Body Shop brushes for a minute for everything, and I feel like I should upgrade.

mosha010

Also, what's the best brush for liquid foundation? I've been using Body Shop brushes for a minute for everything, and I feel like I should upgrade.
@pinkdollface uses the g5557 I think and she swears by it. I just got the g5554 but I just washed it and waiting to use it for the first time. You can also email them and they're really helpful in helping u figure out what you need in terms of the producs you use etc.. And they answer quick! And they shipment is quick too (2 days and my brushes are in my house

Pinkdollface

@pinkdollface uses the g5557 I think and she swears by it. I just got the g5554 but I just washed it and waiting to use it for the first time. You can also email them and they're really helpful in helping u figure out what you need in terms of the producs you use etc.. And they answer quick! And they shipment is quick too (2 days and my brushes are in my house
Like mosha says I really love the G5557, but it's quite expensive. There are smaller versions of it too that are cheaper and if mosha likes the size of hers you could look into those. They have this brush with two hair lengths. The one with shorter hair gives a more opaque result, which is what I have, and mosha has one with longer hair which gives a slightly sheerer look.

Ajigglin

Now I'm more confused than ever! Lol. Thanks! For the money, I do want a brush that is versatile, as well as tried and true. I was severely disappointed in the Nars Yachiyo brush, so I don't want to make any mistakes with a more expensive product. In terms of foundation, I am going for a more opaque look, so I'll look into yours. In terms of EDSFs, I want to use them for multiple things, and I like a heavier application sometimes. Is the G5557 far superior to the 187? Is the J544 a good workhorse brush like the J110 sounds like it might be? Thanks again!

Pinkdollface

Thanks again!
I'm sorry for the confusion. It's so hard to chose when a company has so many brushes. The 187 and the G5557 are not comparable at all IMO. The bristles of the 187 are much longer and it's a lot more flexible. The G5557 is really stiff and thus it will give a heavy application. How do you like the 187 for foundation?
The J544 is comparable to the Mac 131 if you're familiar with that. It's very multipurpose. The J110 is too, but it's too large for highlighting I think and I don't think it'll work with cream products which the J544 will. If I apply EDSFs as a bronzer I do like the Mac 187, so if you haven't tried that yet it's worth a try.

mosha010

Still haven't been able to try my new g5554 grr. We're in the hospital for a family emergency. As soon as I try it I'll give my update too. @pinkdollface has more time in the Haku world so I trust her judgement and reviews :)

Ajigglin

I'm sorry for the confusion. It's so hard to chose when a company has so many brushes. The 187 and the G5557 are not comparable at all IMO. The bristles of the 187 are much longer and it's a lot more flexible. The G5557 is really stiff and thus it will give a heavy application. How do you like the 187 for foundation?
The J544 is comparable to the Mac 131 if you're familiar with that. It's very multipurpose. The J110 is too, but it's too large for highlighting I think and I don't think it'll work with cream products which the J544 will. If I apply EDSFs as a bronzer I do like the Mac 187, so if you haven't tried that yet it's worth a try.
I've never used any MAC brushes. I've only used Body Shop brushes, but now I'm trying to upgrade. I think their face and body brush is good, and I still intend to use it. Their blush brush is okay, but sometimes the application isn't accurate. The foundation brush gets streaky.
My needs at this point are a brush to use with EDSFs because the face and body brush from the Body Shop doesn't pick up anything, and a new liquid foundation brush. I'm debating just getting a new Body Shop blush brush because this one from Nars is not the math. It kicks up too much powder.
So it sounds like MAC 187 is a must regardless. I can use that with the EDSF if I want to use it as a bronzer. I like a heavy application for foundation, so I'll go with the G5557 for that, and then J544 for multipurpose usage. It's cheaper than the J110, so that's a plus.
Okay! I think I got it now. Thanks so much for your help.

Ajigglin

Still haven't been able to try my new g5554 grr. We're in the hospital for a family emergency. As soon as I try it I'll give my update too. @pinkdollface has more time in the Haku world so I trust her judgement and reviews
smiles.gif
ACK! I hope everything is okay.
Man, this new year is turning out rough for lots of people already. We're still in the first month! Slow down, God! :/