Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

babycheri

Thinking about "splurging" on my next paycheck and picking up a J116 or J212. Yes, just that, college tuition isn't cheap
001_unsure.gif
anyone have any experience with either as a highlight brush?

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Nayanadine: J5521 is fantastic :D You are not going to regret. I used it for contouring with W7 Honolulu Bronzer. It picks up exactly as much product as you need, I won't say it picks up very much (so for me it makes it easier to apply bronzer little by little) :) It blends just fantastic :D Brush is very soft, not extremally dense, I will love it for contouring :) So I can recommend :)

J146 is superfancy blending brush. Doesn't pick much of eyeshadow, and OMG how delicious and soft it is for eyelid. I can say it is comparable to Sigma E35 (size, form), but J146 is way, way softer and more delicate. Just pleasure to blend eyeshadows with it. Recommend this one as well :)
I can't wait to get it!

For powder I'm now eyeing the J104. Not sure if I'll be willing to spend that much on a brush though. And what is looking REALLY good is the S102...
thud.gif
Ah, so many brushes, the choice is overwhelming. Everytime I browse their site I see something new. Does anyone have the J535? It looks very interesting, but kinda big.

mosha010

The G503 is amazing isn't it?
its pretty much foolproof.. like you sweep and theres little to do thereafter.. its soft to the touch but not bendy.. its very precise.. i really have been waking up late and not having time to do my makeup propperly but its been easy with this to just sweep under my cheekbone and tada!

cindypltnm81

its pretty much foolproof.. like you sweep and theres little to do thereafter.. its soft to the touch but not bendy.. its very precise.. i really have been waking up late and not having time to do my makeup propperly but its been easy with this to just sweep under my cheekbone and tada!
It's an awesome brush overall. There's the g502 which I thought about getting as well but they seem too similar.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I already got my brush! Wow, that was pretty fast. It's super soft! Now I want more, lol.
I'm gonna wash it later and try it out tomorrow.

mosha010

I already got my brush! Wow, that was pretty fast. It's super soft! Now I want more, lol.
I'm gonna wash it later and try it out tomorrow.
Yup they're pretty fast in shipping! Which one did you end up getting??? Wash and enjoy....

Pinkdollface

I got my brushes too a couple days ago, but didn't have a change to try them out until today. I only tried my new face brushes and I sure love those! The G5557 is my new perfect foundation brush. I always used the Mac 130, but this one is bigger, has an angle and the synthetic bristles are shorter so it's denser. It's so soft and blends my foundation beautifully. I tried the J104 for my Pucci meteorites today and it's the perfect size for the container. It's nice and fluffy and works great to apply the powder all over without overdoing. I also tried out the J511 for contouring and I like that it's small and lets me be precise with contouring, but still blending it out to create a soft contour. I'm happy I went with the small angled contouring brush and not the dupe they have for the Mac 168.
Here are some comparison pics.
First is the J5521 vs J511.

Next is Mac 130 vs G5557

Here is the meteorites tin compared to the J104. The shape doesn't look quite right in this picture. I think it's because of the angle I took the picture from. In the last picture with all my Hakuhodo brushes the shape is more realistic.

And here is my Hakuhodo brush collection so far. Left to right:
J521 (really tiny brush so it's hard to see), G5515, J242G, J5529, J5523, J142, J122, G5537, J5521, J544, J110, J511, J104, J501, G5557

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I got my brushes too a couple days ago, but didn't have a change to try them out until today. I only tried my new face brushes and I sure love those! The G5557 is my new perfect foundation brush. I always used the Mac 130, but this one is bigger, has an angle and the synthetic bristles are shorter so it's denser. It's so soft and blends my foundation beautifully. I tried the J104 for my Pucci meteorites today and it's the perfect size for the container. It's nice and fluffy and works great to apply the powder all over without overdoing. I also tried out the J511 for contouring and I like that it's small and lets me be precise with contouring, but still blending it out to create a soft contour. I'm happy I went with the small angled contouring brush and not the dupe they have for the Mac 168.
Here are some comparison pics.
First is the J5521 vs J511.

Next is Mac 130 vs G5557

Here is the meteorites tin compared to the J104. The shape doesn't look quite right in this picture. I think it's because of the angle I took the picture from. In the last picture with all my Hakuhodo brushes the shape is more realistic.

And here is my Hakuhodo brush collection so far. Left to right:
J521 (really tiny brush so it's hard to see), G5515, J242G, J5529, J5523, J142, J122, G5537, J5521, J544, J110, J511, J104, J501, G5557
Thx for the pics. The J104 looks great, I think that's the one I will get for powder. It won't be in my budget any time soon though.

How come the J501 is considered a blush brush when it looks so big? At least it looks pretty huge to me for applying blush.

Pinkdollface

I will :)

Thx for the pics. The J104 looks great, I think that's the one I will get for powder. It won't be in my budget any time soon though.

How come the J501 is considered a blush brush when it looks so big? At least it looks pretty huge to me for applying blush.
Haha I was wondering the same thing! I have no idea why the J501 is called a blush brush cause it really is big. The J110 is a blush brush comparable in size to the Mac 129, so you can imagine how big the J501 is. I use it for powder. It's dense and can press powder into the foundation and set it really well which is what I need. The J104 is too fluffy to press on foundation, it'll splay out. But if you like to sweep on powder and don't need to press it in, you'll probably like it. I think it won't disturb the foundation because it's so soft and fluffy.

mosha010

@pinkdollface omg your brush collection is making me scream ! so beautiful lol! anyway, the G5537: what do you use this one for. i like the shape and size but i dont know if that would be a good eyeshadow brush.. hmm' G5557: more on this one if you can. thats on my list and i might order it this week.. i currently use the mac 130 and the signa f80 (i thnk thats the number) but this is tempting me... can u please elaborate>?

Pinkdollface

actually its the J122!... (not the 5537
Thanks! They are my babies!
I haven't tried the J122 yet, but I want to use it for highlighting the browbone just under my eyebrows. I normally use the Mac 227. The Mac 227 is denser, so I'm not sure which I'll prefer.
I don't have any Sigma brushes, but I think the G5557 will be in between the Mac and Sigma when you compare the density. What are you wanting it to do? Are the others not working well enough?

mosha010

@pinkdollface yea i was looking between the g5557 and the g5554.. i think im going for the 5554 since i want a lighter application. the 130 i started using for mineralized skin finishes.. lol.. and the sigma its way too dense.. i feel it doesnt sink foundation into my pores enough..

Pinkdollface

the 130 i started using for mineralized skin finishes.. lol.. and the sigma its way too dense.. i feel it doesnt sink foundation into my pores enough..
The G5554 looks nice too. If you want a lighter application that one will be better indeed. Hakuhodo also recommends the ones with 4mm for lighter application and the ones with 2mm for heavier application. How do you use the 130 with MSFs? I tried it with an EDSF, but it was way too much coverage for a highlighter.