Have you ever been insulted over MU?

Gadook

I work at a high tech firm. It's a super friendly place with great working relationships even though I'm very young compared to everyone working here (I'm 17). I wear makeup almost everyday, but it's usually quite natural. I don't wear makeup but only concealer, powder, blush and eye products. Because of that I tend to do more to play up my eyes, but even that is usually pretty toned down and neutral due to my age.
Today I thought I'd play with a new e/s I got, nocturnelle, so i did a really soft purple smokey eye with it and a pale lilac color. It's nothing flashy or outrageous, but it's more colorful then I'm used to.

Why am I asking this? Because one of my male co-workers came up to say good morning to me when I came in and just blurted out- "what's up with all the makeup?" in a very disapproving tone. I didn't say anything, but i've been feeling really bad since.

Has this ever happened to you? Has anyone ever come and said you wear too much makeup or something, besides your family and friend?

Am I just being over sensitive?
th_dunno.gif

Gadook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
Uh, yep. I can wear a caseload of neutral tones and actually be told to put on lipstick or blush.

Exactly! I have nothing on but 2 e/s and a bit of mascara, this is NOT too much makeup :p

User35

this happened to me this past saturday...i was wearing ..uhh woodwinked or maybe cork idk, all that glitters and i think vanilla for a highlight..real simple. Plus liner and mascara no biggie. A co worker told me "wow you went all out...you didnt have to do that for me .".....ugh people

anita22

Your makeup sounds lovely
smiles.gif
Honestly, I think for some people any colour at all equals too much makeup... My husband for example, hates it when I wear bright lip colours, even though I usually only ever wear bright lipstick for evening (and with pared down eye makeup). It's just down to personal taste and well, since you can't please everyone, you may as well just please yourself!

Gadook

I just don't get where do people get off thinking they can just say things like that? A husband is a whole different thing, but a co-worker.
Natalie, that combo sounds totally natural and pretty, that's just jerky :p
Thanks Anita, btw you rock the bright lip in your pic. My BF tends to like my Mu, but I always get remarks from friends at school if I make the mistake of wearing anything but a clear l/g.

Lauren1981

ppl have looked at me shitty and asked me why i had on makeup or so much makeup and it's none of their damn business. i simply say "because i want to" and leave it at that. you don't have to explain that anyone. you like wearing it and that's all that matters. i know its easier said than done but don't let his comment get the best of you. that's his problem if he can't understand something as simple as "my perogative". i probably spelled that wrong but you know what i mean.
you should have posted a fotd of what you did. i LOVE purple smokey eyes and i LOVE LOVE LOVE nocturnelle.
i'm sure it was beautiful
winkiss.gif

Caramel_QT

ha ha ha ...last weekend my sister asked why I had to get into "full drag" just to come to my mom's house (it was mothers day). Um 'scuse me?? That's my sister for you...always jealous! I didn't have on a ton of makeup but, I looked great and she knew it.
winks.gif
She will NEVER compliment me.

Funny thing, when I go to MAC I've got customers and the MAs complimenting me and asking me what I used...

Gadook

You're right Lauren, but it's damn hard not to care. I guess it's a work in progress, as are all issues with confidence. We don't have a word for prerogative in my language, but I'll keep that in mind the next time someone says something like that to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel_QT
ha ha ha ...last weekend my sister asked why I had to get into "full drag" just to come to my mom's house (it was mothers day). Um 'scuse me?? That's my sister for you...always jealous! I didn't have on a ton of makeup but, I looked great and she knew it.
winks.gif
She will NEVER compliment me.
Funny thing, when I go to MAC I've got customers and the MAs complimenting me and asking me what I used...

I have the same thing with my mom! She always says I'm wearing too much makeup, or thinking about it too much, spending too much on it.. But when I go to MAC I get compliments.

Lauren1981

i think a lot of times ppl just look at makeup as a waste of life period. if they aren't into it then they simple don't understand why others ARE into it. i don't think it's that complicated. i think all of us makeup whores just love makeup because it's our "thing" and i see nothing wrong with that. and to go along with what a previous post said about ppl being jealous, the other thing is that some people may criticize what they aren't able to accomplish, ya know? like, maybe they have absolutely NO skill in applying more the 4 colors and making it blend and work. so what do they do? they put down others who KNOW how to rock it. tell them they're wearing too much when they know damn well the if they knew how to, they do it too. lol!!

user79

It might have something to do with your age as well - maybe the guy was old fashioned. Probably he wouldn't have said the same thing to a woman of 30 but he feels it's all right to say it to a 17 year old.

RedRibbon

I'd say it was jealousy that made them say something like that.

That's the main reason it happens at work, any effort you put into your face which makes you look nicer than usual is seldom met with compliments from certain women, these are the same women who cannot apply makeup to save their lives and look like drag queens at office parties.

blindpassion

Don't feel bad over someone elses opinion! No one can make you feel anything, you choose to feel what you feel. Just let it roll right off your shoulder. Its not important what other people think! Its only important that you are happy and YOU like your makeup! People are programmed the way they are programmed, everyone has a different opinion. But 9 times out of 10, people will like your makeup, so don't let it bother you what that one other person has to say.

cupcake_x

Definitely. I used to be friends with this guy who would constantly make fun of my make-up and say how ridiculous I looked.. I once wore a light lavender only on my lids with nothing on my crease and he said purple was a "clown color" and that I should wear normal make-up.

I wear my drag queen make-up with pride!

LMD84

when i first starting working where i am now the guys (it's all blokes but me!) always commented on my bright make up - once i was even told i looked like the hulk because i was using teal pigment!! but it didn't put me off and i keep wearing brights. now nearly 2 years later they freaking love my make up! and when i wear more natural colours they ask me if i'm ok because they think i'm sad when i don't wear brights! plus they love it when my mac hauls arrive in store! so i guess i'm lucky but at first they amde comments.

if you are comfortable wearing any kind of make up be it bright or neautral then go for it! as long as you look and feel good then who cares?!

Mabelle

^ aww thats cute. I can just imagine a bunch of guys crowded arund your desk ohhing and awwing at all the pretty colours.

"So that goes on your eyes, right?"

Gadook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
It might have something to do with your age as well - maybe the guy was old fashioned. Probably he wouldn't have said the same thing to a woman of 30 but he feels it's all right to say it to a 17 year old.

That thought did cross my mind, but I think I use MU quite appropriately for my age. I don't wear e/s to school, work is where I get to be an adult for a change
th_LMAO.gif
But i'm sure your right and it had a big part of it. He wouldn't have said that to a women older than him or around his age, he's only in his mid 20s.

I think what i've learned from this whole thing is that if I like it, it should be good for anyone who cares about me. And those who don't... why should I care about them?

Thanks everyone for your opinions, it really made my day a whole lot better.

tremorviolet

I've noticed that if a workplace is very casual, people will act like wearing make-up and dressing nice is totally weird. Like they think the only reason to care about your appearence is if the dress code makes you and never think that you might want to look nice for yourself.

I work in an engineering office where most of the male engineers wear khakis and golf shirts everyday and a lot of the female engineers wear the same as well as very minimal make-up. I think they (the other female engineers) think it will help them fit in with the guys.

I'm sorry but khaki pants make me
throwup.gif
. Screw fitting in, I wear pencil skirts, heels, and make-up because that's what I feel comfortable in.