• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Helpful Video Tutorials not made by Specktra members

honeyjr

Through following links from place to place, I ended up on youtube and found this depotting video tutorial from a guy named Koren. He doesn't use any form of heat, only wire cutters to cut the plastic casing and alcohol to melt the glue. Has anyone seen this method? I've been going through the tutorial section and haven't seen any like it so I thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys think.
Here's the link to the video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o--oPgjo43o

Perple1

Re: Depotting without heat

I came across good ol' Koren (?) the other day. His tutorials are well thought out, informative, and professional. Great tips! Not all of us like burning our fingers in the name of FREE MAC PRODUCTS! Well, on second thought...
smiles.gif

sassychix

yea Koren.. thats how he came up with EnKore
n this depotting without heat is WAY COOL!
smiles.gif
i MUST try!

makeupgal

Wow! I didn't know you could do it this way. I agree that the fumes are horrible, so this is way safer. Thanks for posting this.

Jenlai

Oh wow!!! Thanks! I've been wanting to depot, but didn't want to deal with the hassle and danger of the heat!

Aevalin

I've done this - it's so freaking easy!! It was my first depot ever and the whole process took like 5 minutes!

makeba

Re: Depotting without heat [video link]

Ah this is sweet. I was looking at one of my eyeshadow pots trying to figure out how to depot without heat. i will have to go by this method

anaaliyahfan03

oh i saw this a few weeks ago..awsome!...i just need to know where to get those circular magnets and those circular sticky things to write on the label then i am straight

makeupgal

Update: I tried this method and it really works. It was nice not to have to make my shadows hover over a candle. I depotted about 10 shadows, but I have to admit, I did break two of my brand new Smoke Signals shadows as I was prying them out (broke Thunder and Cumulus). I think I needed to wait a little longer for the alcohol to really break down the glue. So keep this in mind when doing this ladies/gents. I love Enkore's tuts. I did the lipstick holder with the cardboard and put my lipglasses in it. It's great!

gazza

really nice!!! i'm definitely going to try it!

a little tip: instead of alcohol you can also use nail lacquer remover, sometimes it dissolves the glue better than alcohol, imho!

BlueRose

wow thanks for the link..its much better than the candle or heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza
really nice!!! i'm definitely going to try it!

a little tip: instead of alcohol you can also use nail lacquer remover, sometimes it dissolves the glue better than alcohol, imho!

thanks for the tip
smiles.gif

kirari

Wow! I'm definitely going to be an EnKore fangirl from now on, lol. Thanks for posting this.

archangeli

Hmm... I don't like the paring knife he use (or any kind of X-acto knife). I know I'd cut myself using this method and there's a much higher risk of damaging your pans as you pry them out of the plastic.

I've noticed that even amongst different MAC eyeshadow pots sometimes there's only a dab of glue, and sometimes there's a shload of it so it's hard to know when the glue is dissolved.

I think given the risk factor of damaging my shadows and cutting myself, I will be sticking to the flat-iron method.

Aevalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangeli
Hmm... I don't like the paring knife he use (or any kind of X-acto knife). I know I'd cut myself using this method and there's a much higher risk of damaging your pans as you pry them out of the plastic.

I've noticed that even amongst different MAC eyeshadow pots sometimes there's only a dab of glue, and sometimes there's a shload of it so it's hard to know when the glue is dissolved.

I think given the risk factor of damaging my shadows and cutting myself, I will be sticking to the flat-iron method.

And see, if I used the flat iron I know I'd burn myself. I found once I dribbled in some alcohol (I used a small dropper I had on hand rather than the knife method), it unstuck itself remarkably fast, I didn't even have to force it, it just came totally loose. But of course YMMV!

gigglegirl

I tried this my first time depotting, and man, was it nuts! I don't know if my wire cutter just sucked, but I couldn't even bend the plastic back to get to the point of dripping the alcohol. Oh well. My friend taught me the straightening iron method and it was so fast, little smell. So I guess that will just have to do.....I wish it was as simple for me as it looked for him on the video.

user79

In this thread you may post links to video tutorials that contain contents not created by yourself. This includes tutorials on commercial sites or other places, as long as the content is not user generated. Please make use of the propper BBcode to insert the link, and if possible, write a short description of what the tutorial will be addressing.

Thank you.