Hiring Freeze

ms.marymac

You guys were not lying about goals going thru the roof!
thmbdn.gif

xbrookecorex

Update: My friend who was laid off got hired by the Mac counter in the new Nordies that just opened in the same mall as the freestanding store she worked at before. At least it's something?

iiifugaziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternmyveins
Does this hiring freeze effect the UK?

as far as I've heard it's only been the US

nooeeyy

Omg..this is soooo scary. I was just telling my friend how bad I ewanted to work for MAc and I feel I have so much to offer and even more to learn and gain. MAC to me has always been so innovative and inspiring. In fact, its all I wear but how crazy is it that there is this freeze. I mean I would loveto work at MAC more than anything, but coming from the world of retail I know how streessing it can be when hours are cut because goals arent met. I used to work at the Gap, when they would ask to if you wanted to go home in their attempt to cut hours. Or better yet, when you clocked in they would ask you to go home. Dont they get it, you have to spend money to make it and the more people are discontent the more people just dont wanna work their and customers will see that.
I recently applied to MAC at Macy's and because they didnt have a manager to interview me I wasted like 2 hours for nothing. Now, Im even scarred to even attempt to go to a MAC counter in a freestanding store for fear I may get my hopes up for nothing.

glamdoll

I think also all the new collections is part of MACs spenditure problem. They have had a bunch of collections in these short 3 months. It doesnt give enough time to enjoy either and such.

Hopefully this is over soon.

But it feels like an economic depression is coming on.

iiifugaziii

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll

But it feels like an economic depression is coming on.

very true! This is not just happening with MAC, it's other estee lauder lines as well
ssad.gif

MAC is just a little more intense because they make so much more money and have so many more employees!

weird to be 23 and hear that our economy is doing so poorly! when i hear stuff like that i think of the 'great depression' and how that was not even in my generation.
Anyone else get their taxes back yet? I'm in the process of getting mine but the government is sending out an extra chunk of money in taxes to people to try and get the economy back up and running so people spend more money! crazy.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
Anyone else get their taxes back yet? I'm in the process of getting mine but the government is sending out an extra chunk of money in taxes to people to try and get the economy back up and running so people spend more money! crazy.

Slightly off topic - that's really not a sensible way of trying to stimulate the economy. It may lead to a quick injection of cash intot he economy, but at the end of the day if someone is hard up for cash then they will still be hard up for cash when the extra tax return is gone.

back on topic: It is a difficult time for retail in general when consumer spending drops. the numbers just don't come and there isn't much that can be done... and nor is it the fault of the employees. It is a pity that it's the employees that feel the brunt of it all, but i guess that's business
ssad.gif

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
Slightly off topic - that's really not a sensible way of trying to stimulate the economy. It may lead to a quick injection of cash intot he economy, but at the end of the day if someone is hard up for cash then they will still be hard up for cash when the extra tax return is gone.

back on topic: It is a difficult time for retail in general when consumer spending drops. the numbers just don't come and there isn't much that can be done... and nor is it the fault of the employees. It is a pity that it's the employees that feel the brunt of it all, but i guess that's business
ssad.gif

But given the trends, it would be the most sensible thing to do. The best thing for the economy is in fact for more money to enter the market and be able to flow and move around. The recession just does opposite of that, people get scared and let money sit in savings account, the money does not get to flow around and stimulate the economy and in essence will make it worse. So giving more money back in tax returns is probably the only thing the government can do for now without cutting programs and other things. In general people spend more when they have more money, even when they are hard up, so giving the extra cash back does make it better, even if not entirely better, it's still better than letting money sit in saving accounts. Even if it is more like a quick injection of cash, it won't be so right away, most people aren't going to spend money at the same time.

Purple Haze

I recently found out at my store that we aren't doing updates for a while and I got really sad
ssad.gif
Also, at the nearby Macy's, they're cutting hours for part-timers really low. Two people have already resigned. We aren't taking any applicants either.
On another note, we recently made tier 2 bonus and are supposed to be getting our bonus checks soon- so weird how we could be doing so bad if our location is always so packed. HMMM...
I totally agree about the aforementioned 'MAC puts out too many collections all at once'....it's SOOOO true. We aren't even done with one thing before another comes out (ie..just today, the new Beauty Powder Blushes come out right after Strobe...)
I know that that's what a huge amount of MAC consumers enjoy, that we put out so many products, that we are innovative and have such variety and universal appeal; however how much is TOO much?
Just from observing and being with the company 7+ years, I truly believe MAC needs to step back and re-evaluate what items are going for them and which ones aren't. I know they do it- just not enough. Personally, at my location, for instance, we're sitting on so many slow-moving products that keep getting sent to us, meanwhile, we don't even have Carbon eye shadow in stock...for the love of Pete...
I'm scared for what's next, but just have to keep on hoping and praying for now.... I wish we had more info, eh???
Thanks for reading my novel
smiles.gif

MissVivaMac

::UPDATE::

So..through the grapevine...the freeze may be over within 1-2 weeks.
greengrin.gif

hopefully this is the truth.

scorplove

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiifugaziii
very true! This is not just happening with MAC, it's other estee lauder lines as well
ssad.gif

MAC is just a little more intense because they make so much more money and have so many more employees!

weird to be 23 and hear that our economy is doing so poorly! when i hear stuff like that i think of the 'great depression' and how that was not even in my generation.

The reason why we're not in a full-blown DEPRESSION is because companies are STILL hiring.

Back in the Great Depression only the very rich and criminal elements of society had money. The "working man" was struggling, evictions non-stop and food pantries overflowing.

Now with the horrible news that JP Morgan Chase had to buy out private money giant Bear Stearns from financial ruin is VERY DISTURBING. Not good at all.

There ARE jobs. You just can't be as "choosey" to where you'd like to work or what you want to do. The only reason I left Macys so quickly was because they would have FIRED ME for not signing up store cards or making my goals. So I beat them to the punch. I wanted to honestly say on the store applications that I was not "discharged" from a job.

I just wish I had one right now.

missmarkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVivaMac

greengrin.gif

just the hiring freeze or the staffing project/hours being cut?
i'm really hoping that i can get some of my hours back.

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVivaMac

greengrin.gif

That would be SO FREAKING FABULOUS!!!
yahoo.gif
I am going stir crazy at home!! What exactly did the *birdie* tell you??

MissVivaMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
That would be SO FREAKING FABULOUS!!!
yahoo.gif
I am going stir crazy at home!! What exactly did the *birdie* tell you??

She had just said not to spread amongst the rest of the staff because it is not for sure yet, but the plan is to be able to accommodate actual hours assigned and fill open positions.
thmbup.gif

amoona

That's weird I was talking to my manager today - I'm the only one at my counter who knows about what's going on - and I was telling her I need to know whats up with this freeze. I need a full time position because I need health insurance and I've been with the company for a year waiting. They said the economy is only getting worse (duh! recession) so it doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon. I hope they just didn't get the news yet because I don't want to have to go to another company to find my health insurance.

Bernadette

So I heard today that we won't be having normal update
ssad.gif
. It's going to be some kind of meeting at each store I guess. All of this is such a bummer, although I understand. I'm just grateful that I was with the company before all of this stuff started and I know what it was really like.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
So I heard today that we won't be having normal update
ssad.gif
. It's going to be some kind of meeting at each store I guess. All of this is such a bummer, although I understand. I'm just grateful that I was with the company before all of this stuff started and I know what it was really like.

when we had a meeting last week, we were talking about why they are doing this. my manager said that it is in response to the update surveys that we fill out at the end of each update. apparently people were writing that they wanted a more personal update, blah blah blah. for them to say this right when hours and positions are getting cut, and things are tight financially, i highly doubt this is the reason. having it at each counter for less time cuts down on travel expenses such as mileage, food, hotel, and travel time. i think this is the real reason. just my speculation.

how are we gonna cover all the products and collections in 2 hours.
shrugs.gif

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
when we had a meeting last week, we were talking about why they are doing this. my manager said that it is in response to the update surveys that we fill out at the end of each update. apparently people were writing that they wanted a more personal update, blah blah blah. for them to say this right when hours and positions are getting cut, and things are tight financially, i highly doubt this is the reason. having it at each counter for less time cuts down on travel expenses such as mileage, food, hotel, and travel time. i think this is the real reason. just my speculation.

how are we gonna cover all the products and collections in 2 hours.
shrugs.gif

I think the reason behind it is blatantly obvious and they should have mroe respect for us than to lie about it. I mean come on now people...
We'll see how it goes
ssad.gif
. I wonder what's going on at other EL companies.