Hiring Freeze

amoona

They used the same lie on us. And all management was playing like they were so excited for the more personal training. I'm assuming they sent out that message to all of management.

TheManda

I think the freeze is over (look at the job postings!!)

Also, I am really excited about the new update format. I think two hours is more than enough. So much time is wasted at updates. What I heard is we see the videos still, we get the update books and we get to see the products. But instead of "practicing" on co-workers (who doesn't even go along with the scenario) our trainers will stay around for the day and we will practice with real customers.

Negativity spreads so fast. We decided as a counter to be positive about this. Personally, I hated having to go out to some suburb to sit in a poorly lit room, hearing people complain about the food, trying to hear over the girls in the corner talking, and having to fight over product so that you can do someone's make up in 10 minutes. The new form of update will leave the outcome up to us. If you go in all sour it will turn out sour (and your trainer will remember your attitude) I think people should at least try the new format before they start pouting.

FacesbyNiki

lol.gif
lol.gif

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManda
I think the freeze is over (look at the job postings!!)

Also, I am really excited about the new update format. I think two hours is more than enough. So much time is wasted at updates. What I heard is we see the videos still, we get the update books and we get to see the products. But instead of "practicing" on co-workers (who doesn't even go along with the scenario) our trainers will stay around for the day and we will practice with real customers.

Negativity spreads so fast. We decided as a counter to be positive about this. Personally, I hated having to go out to some suburb to sit in a poorly lit room, hearing people complain about the food, trying to hear over the girls in the corner talking, and having to fight over product so that you can do someone's make up in 10 minutes. The new form of update will leave the outcome up to us. If you go in all sour it will turn out sour (and your trainer will remember your attitude) I think people should at least try the new format before they start pouting.

Please don't take it as me raging on you or anything but I loved going to Update. Everyone at both my counters (old and new) always loved going to Update. Spending a whole day is so much more beneficial then just two hours. And I don't know how yours is set up but our new update is scheduled on a Monday - a day when at least 3 people (including me) are unable to work every. And on top of that Mondays are super slow so it's not like everyone will be scheduled to work and get a chance to work with the trainers. I will not even be able to attend the Update and I get I'm going to get in trouble for it or something but I pay over $20k a year for my school so missing one full day of school is not an option.

As for the hiring freeze we haven't even gotten job postings in a long time.
th_dunno.gif
I've given up on waiting for a full time position so I'm going to sign up for my own health insurance and pay $166 a month for crappy ass Kiaser insurance. This whole experience has really changed the way I feel about work. I know the economy is to shits right now but if I've been making my goal since the day I was hired - and not just making it but killing it - then why do I get screwed too?!
angry.gif

Sorry I'm just super bitter about this whole thing. Not meant to take out my anger on anyone.

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
P
th_dunno.gif
I've given up on waiting for a full time position so I'm going to sign up for my own health insurance and pay $166 a month for crappy ass Kiaser insurance.

See what other options are available for you for insurance with ehealthinsurance.com

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManda

We haven't seen any job postings at my location...
I just had to say that I love update. Our training facility out her is very nice and the food is always amazing. I'm not sure when we're having our update meeting or how it will work but I am totally going in with an open mind and my always positive attitude
yes.gif

TheManda

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Please don't take it as me raging on you or anything but I loved going to Update. Everyone at both my counters (old and new) always loved going to Update. Spending a whole day is so much more beneficial then just two hours. And I don't know how yours is set up but our new update is scheduled on a Monday - a day when at least 3 people (including me) are unable to work every. And on top of that Mondays are super slow so it's not like everyone will be scheduled to work and get a chance to work with the trainers. I will not even be able to attend the Update and I get I'm going to get in trouble for it or something but I pay over $20k a year for my school so missing one full day of school is not an option.

th_dunno.gif
I've given up on waiting for a full time position so I'm going to sign up for my own health insurance and pay $166 a month for crappy ass Kiaser insurance. This whole experience has really changed the way I feel about work. I know the economy is to shits right now but if I've been making my goal since the day I was hired - and not just making it but killing it - then why do I get screwed too?!
angry.gif

Sorry I'm just super bitter about this whole thing. Not meant to take out my anger on anyone.

I totally understand not being able to miss school and not having insurance. I need to go to the dentist like whoa and can't because I don't have insurance because I can't get up to full time. All I was trying to say is that if everyone goes in with a positive attitude it will go much much better than if everyone goes in hating it. If you go in hating it it will rub off on your co-workers.
For the past two weeks we've gotten at least two pages of job postings. As someone else mentioned if you don't see it actually posted call the number to see what is open. I just posted for a job in the new area I'm going to be living (cross fingers) but even then it won't be full time. Every thing comes with time. It sounds like you're doing an amazing job if you're still killing all your goals! My cushion from the holidays just went bye bye after another dead week. Talk to your MRO or SRM and trainer and RM and anyone who will listen where you want to go with the company and they will help you get there (at least that's what mine are doing) but Rome wasn't built in a day. Everyone I talk to that is in a position that I would one day want went through a lot to get it. I almost puked when I heard everything my manager went through to get to where she is. No one ever said it would be easy, but (and I'm not saying you are) if you seem negative at work that would be the first promotion killer. It's part of being on a team. Sometimes, even when you're doing everything right, the team still loses and it affects you. Start working with the people at your counter who aren't killing their goals. If your whole counter goes over goal and you can say you had a key role in it not only will your counter get more hours but you'll be the first person in your manager's mind to take them.

amoona

I get what you're saying girl but I got too much going on in my life to try and manage a counter. That's why we have a manager, asst. and a 3rd key. A lot of the people at my counter are super new and don't really take my advice so that's on them.

It seems like your region is a lot different then mine because if you kiss the right ass you move up quick haha. I've been offered the chance to train for a 3rd key position but I don't have the time to dedicate to that at this point and I still want to do internships outside of MAC to see if that's what I really want for a career. I know you're not pointing figures but I'm certainly not negative at work - just a little disheartened when I get home.

But as for the job postings we just got some and I asked my manager about them but I guess they're all for positions where someone got promoted and they're only hiring from within right now not outside. One of the 3rd key positions was our new asst. managers former position.

dmenchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
I think the reason behind it is blatantly obvious and they should have mroe respect for us than to lie about it. I mean come on now people...
We'll see how it goes
ssad.gif
. I wonder what's going on at other EL companies.

Honesty? which business runs on honesty? LOL .Diplomacy and fake 'optimism' sells more- hence the 'personal touch'...lol (omg the managers are actually training in the stores)...MAC is soooo cutting corners and that's not funny. At the counter i worked for two girls just walked away because of all the drama/current issues ...and rightfully so! I guess everybody is feeling the 'bad economy'..
thmbdn.gif

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
yeah and when you don't drink the kool-aid, you are the negative one.

that is so right! hahaha
smiles.gif
you gotta drink the juice!

effboysinthebut

I read this forum after asking our counter if they were hiring and thought she was telling me yes to be nice and I would never hear from them, but Within a couple weeks I've done my interviews and was offered a part time position today so I would say maybe they're only hiring if that specific location is short handed?

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by effboysinthebut
I read this forum after asking our counter if they were hiring and thought she was telling me yes to be nice and I would never hear from them, but Within a couple weeks I've done my interviews and was offered a part time position today so I would say maybe they're only hiring if that specific location is short handed?

i think that's true because i know that partly the reason i was hired was because the counter i will be at is very short staffed.

& congrats on the new job! yay!
thmbup.gif

ps. i love your s/n, made me seriously LOL
smiles.gif

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybehbekah
i think that's true because i know that partly the reason i was hired was because the counter i will be at is very short staffed.

thmbup.gif

smiles.gif

Were you hired as a freelance artist or Permanent? I noticed a few people have been hired but they've all be freelance positions. I'm curious because all the on-call hours were cut so did MAC just get more hours for f/l and o/c artist? Are they hiring permanent positions too? Is it by region? The people I've noticed who were hired are in MA, NY and CO--so East Coast right? I'm in California. Maybe it's just taking longer for it to be over in this region?

My CM seemed to really want to put me in a FT position so I believe she would call me if the freeze was over and she had hours! She made me promise to work HER counters event in May that is on the same day as another counter I work at. I KNOW she'd call me if they had hours...

I'm just going nuts at home, wanting to go back to work
yes.gif
So sorry for the questions/rants.

effboysinthebut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybehbekah

thmbup.gif

smiles.gif

Thank you
smiles.gif

I used to have the same SN for ebay and someone flagged me for being "Inappropriate"

No sense of humor. haha.

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
Were you hired as a freelance artist or Permanent? I noticed a few people have been hired but they've all be freelance positions. I'm curious because all the on-call hours were cut so did MAC just get more hours for f/l and o/c artist? Are they hiring permanent positions too? Is it by region? The people I've noticed who were hired are in MA, NY and CO--so East Coast right? I'm in California. Maybe it's just taking longer for it to be over in this region?

My CM seemed to really want to put me in a FT position so I believe she would call me if the freeze was over and she had hours! She made me promise to work HER counters event in May that is on the same day as another counter I work at. I KNOW she'd call me if they had hours...

I'm just going nuts at home, wanting to go back to work
yes.gif
So sorry for the questions/rants.

i was hired as a permanent employee. when he hired me he told me that the freeze was still on but b/c the counter is so short staffed they let him bring on a part timer. i really need full-time and we have spoken a few times about that maybe happening when the freeze lets up because they still have 2 unfilled full-time positions. but i just wanted to get my foot in the door and i am super excited!

no worries though, i am not sure how the business is out in california but i am sure ya'll will be getting hours back soon!
smiles.gif

baybehbekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by effboysinthebut
Thank you
smiles.gif

I used to have the same SN for ebay and someone flagged me for being "Inappropriate"

No sense of humor. haha.

haha oh man, people are cool! how can you not laugh!
yahoo.gif

giz2000

At a particular counter in my area, they recently laid off any new hires that had been with the company for less than 60 days. There was a girl who ws a few days from making her 60 days...she got canned too.

The freelancer hours have been all but nonexistant, and the current staff is panicking because management is REALLY looking at numbers...the problem is that customers are not buying..so how are you supposed to meet your numbers with that kind of atmosphere?