How do MAC girls get that all over polished look?

xocrlox

I went to MAC like I always do, and i think i do my makeup fairly well, until i see the girls at MAC's makeup. I feel intimidated on how good it looks.

When i went to the MAC manager and she fized my makeup she said i did good but one trick she told me was to apply my face makeup (foundation powder blush etc) AFTER i put on my eyeshadow. She showed me the difference and it did make one! She said the makeup falls and even though u think its gone there is still some specks just blended into your skin to make it appear darker.

But how are your eyeshadows so polished and perfect? what is it? Is it the paint pots tehn apply eye shadows? let me know! thanks lol I love it!
thmbup.gif

Simply Elegant

It takes practice, patience and good products and brushes.

I do my eye makeup first because it's hard to avoid fallout with some colours and finishes. I usually apply all my colours and then blend and then reapply if any colour has faded too much, then blending and that has made my eye makeup look so much better. I use a MUFE concealer as a primer and it works fine for me.

xocrlox

Yeah thats what the manager said... practice, i just need to get brush 217
:) i can't wiat to get more colors too!

carrieann07

I've noticed since I've switched over to MAC(make-up & brushes) that my overall skill and look has improved 110%. I truly believe that quality brushes, make-up, primers, etc. really makes a big difference. Practice helps too =]

Ruby_Woo

I agree with practicing. I always, always do eyeshadow first. A lot of artists don't like to do this because of the concealor not blending well I hear. but I do this all the time, and thats how I get the skin to look more polished. Well IMHO.

HTH

BunnyBunnyBunny

I apply paints first to the lid with the 242 using a patting motion all over then blending out to give a little more of a softer appearance. I apply the all over eyeshadow powder color in the same fashion. I use the 217 brush for the crease. Wherever you touch first will apply the most product, so I always start at the outermost part of the crease then blend inward. Apply a subtle frost to the browbone and you're done. A polished eye. =P I hope that helps some! I wish I could demonstrate it. x3

Penn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBunnyBunny
I hope that helps some! I wish I could demonstrate it. x3

Sorry this is off topic but I just wanted to say, how many girls on Specktra would be squealing with excitement if you ever did decide to do tutorials! I'm such a fan of your FOTD's, the first time I seen one I told my bf that I just saw the most beautiful man ever
yes.gif

But back on topic I know what you mean about the polished look, whenever a Mac artist does my foundation in the store it's so polished and perfect and I still have yet to apply my make up that good. I do find that the quality of your brushes make a huge difference.

xocrlox

yeah i have a lot of makeup brushes, i do my foundation quite polished, and i always get compliments on my eyeshadows, but it never looks like THAT!

Kuuipo

I do foundation first but put plent of loose powder around the eye area and dust it away after my eye makeupp is done. That way I can exted shadows beyond the eye. (winged, cat, etc) It's called foundation for a reason.....
but then again, no real rules in makeup.

miss_supra

My trick that helps is starting from top to bottom. I start with my brow, my brow highlight, crease, base for lid + lids color(s) and then liner. I know do any eye look in 10-15 minutes.

thedrinkgirl

I always do my eyes first. I tend to go with a very dark smokey eye so I expect a lot of fallout. I apply bare canvas on the entire lid area for better coverage and it seems to show the true color better (IMO) but you can use the prep n prime eye because I've noticed that using the prep/prime seems to fill in the little lines and makes the eyeshadows softer and easier to blend. I'd post pictures of my eyes but I don't know how. Sorry but good luck.

DirtyPlum

To get a real polished look I think its important to know what products to group together in order for them to work at their best.

So eyeshadow will nearly always look better with a paint or shadestick underneath and with some mascara...
Foundation will work that much better with prep n prime and the right brushes.

Once you know which products to use, its about the right technique. So knowing how to use those brushes, how to move them, where to put them, where to begin and where to end. Using more than one brush in some instances etc. Understanding the different brush strokes and what they will achieve, where to grip the brush handle and knowing the difference that will make.

The final thing I guess is having a keen eye... so paying attention to those details and knowing when to stop and when to work something a bit more, how to fix something etc.

I always use paints under eyeshadows and always do the eyes first. Concealer is something I will leave towards the end (but not the last thing) to really finish off the face and make sure I have covered everything that needs to be covered!

Hope that helps. Happy to go into more detail.

xocrlox

i think i should use a paint or prep and prime for the eye...that is what i am really lacking. I use brushes for everything...but do u guys ever use sponges like maybe under eyes to wipe away the fallout?

i like the idea of teh loose powder under the eye then wipe it away too :)

elektra513

Applying loose powder under the eye prior to doing the eye makeup is so much easier for me than doing foundation last. I have to set my undereye concealer before I do anything else! Plus, if you use a lighter loose powder than your skin tone (or a transparent/translucent one) you get an awesome highlighted effect
smiles.gif

tripwirechick

I do eyes first, rest of my face second. I have always done it this way... Practice definitely helps a lot!! When applying my eye make up, I tend to leave the highlight colour til after the lid and crease colour have been applied. It helps soften the edge
smiles.gif

DirtyPlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwirechick
I When applying my eye make up, I tend to leave the highlight colour til after the lid and crease colour have been applied. It helps soften the edge
smiles.gif

absolutely!

vocaltest

i wanna know how MAC ma's get their foundation to look so perfect all day! ugh. mine melts after an hour, stupid oily skin.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
i wanna know how MAC ma's get their foundation to look so perfect all day! ugh. mine melts after an hour, stupid oily skin.

primer, blot powder and blot tissues/papers.
winks.gif