How Do You Feel About Organ Donation?

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
I used to work for a company that sold medical implants. We would host tutorials/courses on our products where surgeons could practice using cadavers.

Sadly enough, I feel that these were donations gone to waste because the only reason we ever took the surgeons to do the cadaver courses was to gain their business. We were basically taking them on a fancy vacation under the umbrella of a tutorial because they already knew how to do the surgery. About 50% of the time, the surgeon would come to the tutorial, drunk from partying the night before (We always held them in Vegas), stick his hand in the cadaver for about 5 minutes and then take a certificate home for his CME. It is disgusting and the main reason I got out of the business. I would say that in 5 years during my employment, I saw about 150 cadavers at least. That doesn't include all the ones used at the many courses I didn't attend. .

Needless to say, that is the one area I will not donate to.

You didn't call the Ethics Hotline and report it? Its totally confidential. I took an advanced gross anatomy course and two med students posed a male and female cadaver together. I did reportit. Even the dead deserve dignity and respect. They were expelled.

rbella

Whether or not I reported anything didn't really seem to be relevant to the topic, but since you asked, yes I did. And the result, no changes.

It is not an institution that will change because one rep complains. Unfortunately the money reps make far outweighs their desire to do the right thing, in most cases.

I do have respect for both the living and the dead. Hence the reason I quit the job and have since filed many more reports that have gone nowhere. It is not a case of one or two medical students. It is an entire industry of thousands of surgeons that would need to have their licenses revoked and big named companies that would need to pay heavy fines. Trust me, it will never happen.

liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
You didn't call the Ethics Hotline and report it? Its totally confidential. I took an advanced gross anatomy course and two med students posed a male and female cadaver together. I did reportit. Even the dead deserve dignity and respect. They were expelled.

That's totally disgusting.
I have been to a cadaver lab, and I think it is very disrespectful to do crude things to dead bodies. Yes, they are dead, they can't feel it, but it's very macabre. Would you want someone 'posing' one of your dead loved ones? Would you think it was funny then?
I think it is in Thailand that med students call them "Their Greatest Teacher" and have the utmost respect for them, and to think others don't is repulsive.

Cadavers as teachers: the dissecting room experience in Thailand -- Winkelmann and Güldner 329 (7480): 1455 -- BMJ

Kuuipo

I have spent much time in medical pathology labs with cadavers....we learn how to treat the living by studying the dead.

xsnowwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by talste
I'm not & it's not something I plan to do while I continue to reside in developing nations, I don’t have much faith in the medical profession in the poorer nations and have never come across the option to register as a donor on the various forms I fill out for visa's & residency's

I agree. I feel bad saying it, but I just do not trust the medical industry enough.

Bernadette

I am an organ donor but have my card marked off to not be donated to science.
For those of you that are concerned that you would be viewed as more of an "organ farm" than a patient if you were hurt, I assure you that is not the case and is against the law. I have two friends that are the guys that take the organs donors organs and they are only called in after every attempt is made to save the patients life and it is clear that they will not be surviving.
A friend of mine's mother died three years ago and because of her, someone had a heart and thei rlife was saved, another person have a new liver and thei rlife was saved and another person's vision was saved. Two lives saved and one hugely affected all by one woman's unselfish act.

NatalieMT

Although I do not have an organ donor card as of yet I know that if I were to die my parents as my next of kin would donate my organs. I think I'd probably donate everything I could, even eyes/skin etc which some people might find gruesome but they'd just rot in the ground otherwise. I feel it's important to do so because well, like others have said, if I'm gone I'm not using them and I'd like to think someone deserving would benefit. It's sort of comforting in a way to know that if something happened to me, someone else might be able to breathe normally again or see again and I think that's amazing. I wouldn't want to be donated to science though - to me I view that as a slight waste.

I'm not a blood donor because I'm not heavy enough, and also because I have active infections and am on antibiotics and have been for sometime. As for bone marrow donation I've never really thought about it or looked into it. I'd love to help someone with cancer survive through bone marrow transplant though.

M.A.C. head.

I'm definitely a donor.

After my time on Earth is done, I'd be glad to know that I was still able to help someone in need.

I'd give what I had if someone needed while I'm alive, so why not in death?

concertina

I am absolutely and organ donor and everyone in my family knows my wishes. Thats important; letting your family know you want to donate!

I do not see a reason *EVER* for someone to not sign up to be an organ donor. Those who claim religious reasons; you really think your respective god/goddess wouldn't want you to try and save someone elses life?

Paramnesia

I'm not registered but I have told my family I want my organs donated, except for eyes and skin. I dunno why but I'm not comfortable with that and definitely not donated to science, purely for selfish reason (tis my body).

xbuttonsx

I am not a donor on my license yet because I am unaware if I can even donate due to my Cystic Fibrosis. Once I can get that cleared up there is no reason not to. It is undeniable that in the future I will most likely need a lung transplant.

I know many people who have been given the gift of life again through organ donation. They got to kiss their husband/ wife again, hold their children again, and laugh again. On the other hand, I know many though who waited in the list for months and months only to pass away due to lack of donors. People who could have potentially lived if others had simply talked to their loved ones about their wishes.

People may choose to be donors, but if they don't express it to those who would have to make that decision for them it might not happen. Your family is already greiving, and having a stranger ask for your body parts and having to make a split second decision doesn't usually end up with a donation. Please let your wishes be known.

The 8 life saving organs such a lungs, liver, heart, etc. can only be donated if the individual dies of "brain death" or trauma to the head. Tissues, muscles and skin can be donated otherwise and are equally important.

It only takes a few MINUTES to decide but can give someone many YEARS of life that they might not have had. According many donor associations, most major religions support organ donation or say the choice if up to you. Giving life is the ultimate gift, and I urge everyone to donate.

Abbytabby

I also have to say that I do owe my life to a blood donor. In the same attack that killed my sister I was badly injured and had a lot of blood loss and had to receive blood. So I am really appreciative of the selfless people who donate.