i am so upset about MAC

xocrlox

So i love reading this site and i have been shopping at MAC for so long, and decided to strat going to cosmetology school. I applied at MAC, went for my demo, had a phone interview, and got the job! Part Time permanent for 15 hours a week! I was so happy but...

When i was 19, I am 23 now and got arrested from a stupid bar fight with this girl, and it was supposed to be sealed. Well, i had already made a date set for basic training, and was supposed to go for a meeting Sunday for the new products, when teh manager called me and said she had bad news. She todl me they did a background check and i came bcak as a NO HIRE. She sadi she didn't knwo teh details, that MAC would send me something within 15 days about why. She was really nice, and i todl her when i was 19 i got arrested for a bar fight and i told her i didnt mention anything because it wasn't suppose to show up anymore. She sounded really bummed and was trying 2 encourage me to talk 2 teh court or my lawyer because it showed up. She said it had nothing do with her, she thinks I was great, i think she felt bad bc when people are young make stupid mistakes!

I am so sad
th_dunno.gif
i always wanted to work there, and my dream came true, and that was teh 1st time it ever came back to haunt me. Does anyone knwo once i get this taken care of, if i would ever have a chance to work there again? Anyone have any information about this happening to someone they know? i am so bummed!
ssad.gif

BunnyBunnyBunny

I have no idea. But that's soooo terrible that that happened!! I hope everything turns out okay. I can tell that you really want it and you are past that situtation. Good luck!!!!!

M.A.C. head.

If that wasn't supposed to be on your record anymore, I would definitely say to hire a lawyer and get something done about it.

Good luck hon.

TISH1124

This is so terrible! Maybe once you get it all cleared off your record you can reapply... I am so sorry this happened to you..

xocrlox

yeah i have to sort that out now and figure why that came up. It hasn't with other jobs, i am just very upset. Do u think when this is taken care of they would hire me again?

such a bummer! thanks guys u make me feel better bc u all share teh love of makeup i have!

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocrlox
yeah i have to sort that out now and figure why that came up. It hasn't with other jobs, i am just very upset. Do u think when this is taken care of they would hire me again?

such a bummer! thanks guys u make me feel better bc u all share teh love of makeup i have!

I honestly can't see why they wouldn't....Especially after you explain it was all a system error and it has since been removed from your record when you apply again. If it is off your record...I don't understand how they could hold it against you. But that is my thoughts. I have actually hired people despite of their records if it happened when they were fairly young and they have been doing great since then. But I break a lot of rules
yes.gif
if I feel the risk is worth it.

MacAddict_Sami

Although it was an Error, MAC does keep a record of all applicants in North America (I use to work for HR Dept in Markham, ON where all the apps and records are kept for NA). It will be really hard to get a job as they will still have a record of your application and they reason for the no hire response and when an application comes in we were required to cross reference.

xocrlox

yeah i just didnt even bring it up or explai it bc i thought my record was sealed. Anybody with other similar experiences?

Cinci

well I don't know how it works in the US, but in Canada, if it is removed from your record, it is illegal to not hire the person based on knowledge that they did previously have a record.. Which is why in interviews the only question that you are legally allowed to ask is "Do you have any criminal convictions for which you have not been pardoned?", and not "have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense". But then again, try proving that knowledge of your previous record was the reason you weren't hired in court...

As for it not being sealed, in Canada, if you are convictred of a summary criminal offence under the Young Offenders Act and you re-offend in a similar nature within 3 years of you original conviction, even if you get a conditional sentence, etc for the second charge and not an actual plea/finding of guilt, then they leave the 1st conviction on your record instead of sealing it.

You said you were 19 at the time of the incident... Does the US have a version of the YOA? Does yours extend untill 19? Ours here in Canada ends when you turn 18. Were you convicted or just arrested and let go?

I don't know if any of this will apply to you as these are Canadian laws, but maybe there will be some similairities?

glamdoll

I think its sealed when you're a minor. At 19 you were already a legal adult. I would definetly hire a lawyer and see what happened. Don't give up!

jenavii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict_Sami
Although it was an Error, MAC does keep a record of all applicants in North America (I use to work for HR Dept in Markham, ON where all the apps and records are kept for NA). It will be really hard to get a job as they will still have a record of your application and they reason for the no hire response and when an application comes in we were required to cross reference.

If you have proof that it shouldn't have been on you record AT THAT TIME , well then that would mean that MAC had incorrect copy of or you back ground check, so technically they should have to disregard whatever was on it!

go to freeadvice.com register, and post in the forums.. its all legal advice.

Cinci

Before wasting money on a lawyer, I would first be sure that the record is the reason for your being rejected.

If it was due to your arrest, then I would contact the police department that arrested you and ask to speak to someone in their Records Division. They will be able to provide you with more information as to what will show up and what not, based on the circumstances. As I mentioned above, there could be small legal technicalities that you are unaware of. It could also be something as simple as what Glamdoll said, that you were no longer a minor in the eyes of the law at the time of the arrest.

xocrlox

Yeah i had a laywer and then payed separtely for it to become sealed. Only teh police department and law officials would be able to view it. MAC must have some good background system!

The lady told me within 15 days i will recieve a letter as to why i wasn;t hired. She didnt know the details of it as it was confidential. I todl her and she said it must have been it and try to get that fixed, but i was too upset to start asking anything elso, but she said all teh information will be in teh letter i receive.

does anyone think i will have another chance with MAC in the future? i am in cosmetology school and i really am a good worker. I wish that it never came up :-(

TISH1124

Please don't give up..I think rules are made and rules are broken...You cannot succeed if you don't try. Do not be discouraged...Just get it cleared up and then go back and try again.
There is no such thing as failure unless you don't try. (sorry thats what I say to my son, so I was being a mom)..I was just listening to a man on the radio that has had 3 bestsellers published and he never finished 1st grade..He doesn't even know how to read and write. I believe in God and blessings...If you do to there is no such thing as it can't happen.

JustDivine

Were you arrested or convicted?? Why would it come up on your record if you were not convicted of a crime???

And if it was a conviction that has to remain on file for a certain number of years until it is unspent, then how could you pay someone to take it off??

I'm just trying to understand perhaps why it is still on your record.....I hope you can get your dream job at MAC especially since they loved you!

MacAddict_Sami

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocrlox
Do u think if i get it taken care of they would re-hire me?

I think you def have a shot, just make sure when you're submitting your application you make them aware of the issues with your previous application and provide them with proof that this conviction should not have been on your record at the time of your initial application, that will be taken into consideration at head office (the applications will most likely get processed by a senior member of the HR Team).

Good Luck!!! Let me know how it goes... I know alot of the loop-holes w/ regards to the application process (lol, sounds odd, I know
smiles.gif
) so PM if you want any help

aleksis210

omg I'm so sorry! That sucks! I could understand if you got arrested for something really bad...a fight at 19? Haven't we all been there?lol...Well hopefully you can get it sorted out by maybe contacting the police department that arrested you and asking them why this is still on your file. As long as your sweet/respectful and do a great job with makeup, I don't see why they wouldn't re-hire you! GOODLUCK!!!
smiles.gif

kimmy

i don't know how it works in new york state, but at nineteen nothing on your record in the united states is sealed, only things that happened when you were a minor. i know that in california at least, you can't get an arrest removed from your record. you may be proven innocent, but the arrest will always show up. were you booked into jail for the offense, or did the police cite and release you?