I didn't get the job!!

slvrlips

Well I had my second interview for MAC on Monday and I thought it went (JUST) ok. I had to take a model and do her over. I knew when I applied the eyeshadow to my model's face that I messed up. I tried to correct it but time was running out , I was nervous etc. After it was over she asked me to critic my look and I told her honestly that I didn't like my eye make-up application and she agreed but said that I did a wonderful job on the lips, foundation and blush. I get the call today and they said word for word what I didn't like and that I didn't get the job.
Homa advised me to call her is 6 months to do the demo over and see what happens. I know that I need more practice and I'm soo thankful for the experience.
I am currently a make-up artistry student and I graduate today so I guess I need to re-take this class or get my money back (lol) So I guess I'll be a licensed make-up artist who doesn't do make-up well enough for MAC. I am very discouraged right now but anywho I didn't get the job.

*Luna*

Don't be discouraged! Keep your chin up and keep practicing!!! Now that you have some schooling under your belt, practice and refine your technique and blow them away at your next demo. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when you are nervous! I know it's hard when someone is standing over your shoulder watching your every move... try praciticing in front of people to get used to it, that really helped me... granted I don't work for MAC or any other retailer... having a brides mom hovering over your shoulder is just as bad. Good luck to you!

zaralovesmac

Hey!Sorry to hear you didn't get the job.Maybe the time wasn't right for you and in a couple months you'll be that much more prepared and experienced and I'm sure you'll knock their socks off!
smiles.gif
Don't be discouraged.You know what they say..if at first you don't succeed...pick yourself up and try again!:nod:
Good luck!

MiCHiE

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but don't be discouraged. You know you have skills. Just need to work on your nervousness and tweek some of your methods/applications and you'll be fine. Keep your chin up. There's no reason why you should be down. It's a learning experience.

mzreyes

sorry love.. well at least you got to the demo! I never made it past the group interview.. lol..

zori

I'm sorry you did not get the job but don't be discouraged. I'm sure with some more practice you'll get it next time around.

boudoir

Oh no
ssad.gif
maybe you need to practise more on other people... Anyways I wish you luck in pursuing whatever path you choose to follow
cheerleader.gif

kimmy

i'm sorry to hear you didn't make the cut.
ssad.gif
mac is a pretty difficult company to get in on though, so just practice practice practice! and next time they're ready to hire, just go in and rock it.
winks.gif

MisStarrlight

Awww, I'm sorry hun!
Keep your head up & don't loose your fire.

Remember, you don't come out of school being an expert...makeup is an ever evolving field. If you plan to be around in this industry for a while-plan on going to classes & seminars for the rest of your life.

You can only get better for here on out, so take what they said, digest it & keep practicing....get a job with another line, work on building up a freelance clientele & just roll with it.

Bernadette

I'm sorry, don't be so down on yourself. From everything I've read on here it seems like the DC area is one of the hardest areas to get hired into. Even I know of the infamous Homa and I live on the other side of the country!
Just keep practicing every chance you get and try again! Practice makes perfect. Hang in there sweetheart
grouphug2.gif

slvrlips

Thanks all
You all as well as my classmates are soo supportive. I now feel that it wasn't my time. I have learned sooo much since starting the class and I'm now excited to work more on other people and practice, practice, practice. Thanks again for the kinds words I'm in a better mood now (lol)

Beauty Mark

It sounds like a case of nerves more than a lack of skill. Practicing will help you improve, of course, but it just sounds like you were a bit flustered.

I'm sure you'll get the job the nex time.

yummy411

practice on me!! oh and who is homa? where does she work? pentagon city? what does she look like?

Hilly

Everything happens for a REASON...perhaps there is a bigger and greater oppertunity lurking around the corner
smiles.gif

MisStarrlight

I just wanted to add that as much as well all love MAC, it is not the be-all-end-all of cosmetics retailers....if conservative is more your style, maybe you wanna try BB or something like that-just to get yourself a paycheck in the meantime.

(and since BB is a Lauder company, when you have gotten rid of those nerves, it's way easier to transfer into MAC...and not to mention you can still get a discount. I know the pro discount is better than the eployee discount, but if there is a company store in your area, you can get 50% off there)

slvrlips

I will be calling you soon so we can shop and do faces.
Homa is the Mac recrutier for the DC/MD/VA area she works all over doing interviews and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy411
practice on me!! oh and who is homa? where does she work? pentagon city? what does she look like?