is it worth it/will I get fired?

sweatpea559

I just got a job at Victoria's Secret about a week ago and my first day was supposed to be tomorrow. The only problem is the dress code. We can only wear black, with the only exception being a white shirt under a black jacket. I seriously only own 4 black items of clothing. 2 tops that show my shoulders (not allowed), black jeans (no denim) and black bermudas, which I think they might allow. I hate black. I don't think it really looks good on anyone unless it is in the form of lingerie.

I shopped at the mall all day and didn't find a single black top that looked decent. They were all this really cottony material that turns grey when you wash it once, and never really was truly back to begin with so it looks gross when you wear it with black pants because the blacks are different. So I was gonna get this really cute black jacket but my mom said it was way too small and looked ridiculous... of course it was the only one in the store.

I also couldn't find any full length pants. I can never find any that are long enough for me, so I was going to settle for some. I tried a 5 and it was too small... so I wanted a 7 but they only had a 9 and it was way too big. I had shopped around the whole mall for about 4 hours and was just sick and tired so I left.

I realize I am being slightly picky and here's why:
-I HATE black and I know I will only wear it to work so I want it to be inexpensive
-I don't plan on working for VS for very long, only until I find something better
-I only have $100 dollars in my bank account (my parents have less so don't even suggest it)
-I'm planning on losing weight so I can fit back into my old clothes

I called and told them I am available tomorrow but that I didn't have any black clothes. She made me run through my wardrobe and confirmed the fact that nothing I have will work and that I should go shopping tomorrow. I told her I was shopping all day today and that I was not going to be going back in the morning. She said "Well if you can't follow the dress code we can't have you on the sales floor." I said ok and hung up.

Is it really worth it to buy $80 - $100 dollars worth of black clothing that I don't even like and that doesn't even fit me for a job that I don't even want (but do kind of need)? It only pays minimum wage btw... seriously why am I dressing up for a minimum wage job? lol. At this rate I'll have to work for a week just to pay for the clothes I had to buy. My bf also suggested that I might get fired for refusing to go shopping tomorrow... do you think? I'd seriously have to go to another city.

Oh well if I do though... the managers seem like bitches and I applied at Hallmark today, and a girl was wearing white so I won't be forced to wear funeral attire if I get the job.

lyttleravyn

I would try Old Navy, Target, Kohls, etc. You can get a pair of fairly inexpensive black pants and a plain black tee or top from any of those stores. Get something stretchy and just hand wash (or use I think Woolite has those detergents for black clothes) and hang dry to keep them from fading.

Here's a cute black top
Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy

and black khaki pants
Women's & Men's Clothes: Plus Size, Maternity, Baby & Kid's Clothing | Old Navy

VintageAqua

Judging the current job market, I would do my best to find some black clothes asap and later you can reflect your purchases and buy things that are a better reflection of your personal style.

But, it seems to me that you aren't too keen on this position to begin with, which will indeed reflect on your attitude while on the floor. So it may suit you better to "appropriately" decline the position and allow someone with a greater desire for the position to accept.

Good luck with your endeavors and remember that you are choosing a "job" for now, not a career so it may not be perfect.

gildedangel

Well if it is that big of an issue for you then quit, but it sounds to me like you need the job. Just buy some cheap black top, who cares if it looks good? Seems like as long as its black they can't yell at you about it. If you aren't working there long it's not worth it to go buy a ton of black clothes. You could also try thrift shops, they can have good stuff. You could also try talking to them about working in the back for the first few days until you find something that you like, she just said she couldn't have you on the sales floor....I hope that this all works out for you!
smiles.gif

sweatpea559

I know I should find black clothes and keep the job. I guess I just don't want to have to do it by 6 o'clock tomorrow. Having a pair of black pants wouldn't kill me, especially if I'll be having interviews. I was looking for cheap black t-shirts but was only finding twenty-something dollar ones which is too much because I'd like to have two in case I work consecutive days. I'll probably just go to Nordstrom Rack and get a couple black T-shirts I already have in white for like... $4 and keep looking on the pants. I want something I won't feel self concious wearing. I have given away so many clothes in the past that I bought solely for work purposes. I just don't want something I spent some of my last dollars on to be a piece of trash. Cheap shirts... ok but not pants. I think I need the whole weekend anyway so I'm not even going to call them back or I'll be stressing to find everything fast.

user79

Ok but when were you hired? I mean you had a week or so to look for something, why did you leave it last minute? And finding black clothes can't be that hard, it's pretty much a wardrobe staple in most clothing stores...try H&M or Old Navy for inexpensive black clothes.

Having work-appropriate clothing is going to be a part of any sales job, or most jobs period. We all had to spend money buying work clothes that maybe we aren't that keen on with our personal style. Just buy a couple of pieces and then add on as time goes by. Get 1 pair of black pants and a couple of black tops - that shouldn't be very expensive.

It kind of sounds like you don't even really want the job and are looking for an excuse not to work there. If you're already that hesitant about it, I'd say look for a different job that you will be more excited about.

Mabelle

Ive had to buy pants/tops i wasnt keen about fpr a job before. That's life sweetheart. I'm sure you were given fair warning about this. Either buck up and get the clothes, and then get a paycheck. Or don't.

sweatpea559

They told me I wouldn't be working until next week, and my mom has been using the car for doctors appointments most days. We planned a trip today, which happens to be the day I found out I work tomorrow. I thought I would have a whole weekend, not just one day. And surprisingly, most of the stores I've been in have limited black. Everything is colorful for the summer. I thought this would be easy because I've always seen this work attire and stuff everywhere, but now that I need it it's nowhere to be found, and I have no money. I wish I had an H&M nearby... probably would find something there because they have a nice section dedication to work clothes.

I've had way higher paying jobs than this in the past and was never asked to buy special clothing. I know people have to buy work clothes and I expected to need some work pants and look presentable but they're just a little overboard for retail IMO. If it were a better job I'd not have a problem at all. My paychecks are not going to be that large either which is why I'm not so excited.

I guess I'm at the point where I'm wondering which is worse: going to the trouble of working at a crappy job that will barely cover my most basic expenses... or just eliminating my expenses entirely, giving up, and just not having any money.

Mabelle

Honestly, it's not that bad a situation. Most retail jobs require a wardrobe of some nature. A fair few ask for the "all black look". And if everyone else can do it, so can you.
Can you borrow from a friend for the first little while?

I don't really understand how "going through the trouble of working at a crappy job" (which you haven't even had one day at) could be worse than having no job and no income.

A lot of people are getting laid off left and right, and you have the opportunity to have decent (although not high paying job) and your shooting it down for wardrobe reasons. It just sounds like you don't want the job at all. If that's the case don't take it, but don't make it out like it has to do with finding clothes.

If you do want it, but can't find anything, call them back, or stop off and tell them that you are very sorry, but you were not able to find anything work appropriate in time, but that you would certainly have something ready for your first official day (the date originally agreed upon).

sweatpea559

There was no agreed upon date. They haven't even scheduled me. I called yesterday and they said "sometime next week." I get a call this morning telling me to come in tomorrow. Things like this are why I'm frustrated. They really don't seem to have things in order. Oh well they gave me one day and I wasn't ready.

And yes having a job could possibly be worse than not. I felt that way last semester. I could barely pay for anything and it took time away from school. I literally couldn't buy shampoo if I wanted it. I don't want it to be that way.

I've already stated that I would go buy the clothes, and yes buying clothes is a big deal when you haven't worked in months. I haven't bought any kind of new clothes in over a year because I knew damn well I couldn't afford it. Still can't but obviously I'm going to have to if I want a job.

It's just weird that someone that is obviously unemployed would have to buy new clothes for a job. Luckily I have $100 dollars or I'd be screwed and fired too I bet.

User93

I agree with MissChievous, all kind of job require wearing certain clothes. I can't wera tops showing my shoulders or denim to the office either. If you plan on ever getting a job, you will need those classic clothes, no matter you like them or no, or how they go with your style.
It's a good investment, buying a pair of black pants and a couple of t-shirts. Even if you leave this job, you can wear it to another one you get.
Also, I believe VS can have some discounts for the employees, so you can buy t-shirts there with a discount.
I'm sure you just need to find clothes that wouls suit you good. I understand you don't like black, but it's classic, and actually makes you look thinner 100 percent of the time.

In the time of recession, and while having 100 bucks on your bank account Its better to have any kind of job rather than no income. It can take months to find a new one, which you possibly wont like either.

iadoremac

with the current job situation I think you are very lucky to have a job and i suggest that you go and get whatever is required for that job before you start because you really dont want to give them a bad impression about you

miss sha

If you walked into the store to apply, you must have noticed that everyone working there was wearing black, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Almost every job requires some kind of uniform or has wardrobe restrictions--even at Burger King they're all wearing the same shirt and black or khaki pants!

We've all had jobs that suck sometimes. That's why it's a job, not a career. You work there for a while, you make enough money to dig yourself out of a hole or just work until you find something better, and then you quit. Not the end of the world. Even these little retail jobs are difficult to find and all kinds of people would kill to be making minimum wage right now. So you can either quit now over something that's pretty insignificant in the long run (especially when black clothes are such staples in any work environment--I guarantee that almost any other job you get, you'll be asked to wear either black pants or khakis) or buck up and do what you need to when times are rough.

Dahlia_Rayn

I agree with Shimmer, why buy something expensive for a part time job? Anyway, I'll have you know that I have bought some really cute tops at WalMart (oh the horror) that have lasted years and years, not to mention a pair of slacks that have been with me since my freshman year of college. I have also bought some very expensive tops that have fallen apart in one wash!
You don't have to buy the best stuff right now, when you don't have a lot of cash, get thee to WalMart and pick up what you need for the first day. To be honest it sounds like you're reaching for any excuse not to work, but if you're as desperate for money as you say, I think you should suck it up, buy some cheap threads and perfect the fake retail smile!

Dress codes suck but it's life and a part of growing up I guess. Some places are more strict than others but IMO black slacks are a key thing everybody should have no matter what. I call it the JUST IN CASE pants...Forever 21 has cheap shirts. I get regular black white gray tshirts there all the time for less than $5 regular price. You can even order online and they're like $4.50.
Slacks is where it gets a little more difficult and I can sympathize on that area because I'm having the same issue. Well my issue I guess is that I'm unproportianate..I'm short with wide hips and a booty. Size 3 fits the length but mos def. not the butt. I upped it to a size 7 which perfectly fit the behind but the waist was like 4 sizes too big and was like an extra foot long on me.

It's hard (for me at least) to find decent yet reasonable prices for slacks. Call me cheap but I don't want to spend more than $50 on a pair of slacks esp if I am getting more than one. Kohl's has really good sales at times and they go for like $20, last time I went there it was $15 and they have a wide variety for regular, long, & short length.

In this time of day though, A JOB IS BETTER THAN NO JOB IMO.

Good luck with your search and your job though. Keep us updated!
Sorry if I wasn't much help.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpea559
They told me I wouldn't be working until next week, and my mom has been using the car for doctors appointments most days. We planned a trip today, which happens to be the day I found out I work tomorrow. I thought I would have a whole weekend, not just one day. And surprisingly, most of the stores I've been in have limited black. Everything is colorful for the summer. I thought this would be easy because I've always seen this work attire and stuff everywhere, but now that I need it it's nowhere to be found, and I have no money. I wish I had an H&M nearby... probably would find something there because they have a nice section dedication to work clothes.

Go to Ross or TJ Maxx or Walmart or Target. They've got what you need and it's cheap.
Quote:
I've had way higher paying jobs than this in the past and was never asked to buy special clothing. I know people have to buy work clothes and I expected to need some work pants and look presentable but they're just a little overboard for retail IMO. If it were a better job I'd not have a problem at all. My paychecks are not going to be that large either which is why I'm not so excited.

I don't understand why you're surprised. Did you think an exception would be made because you don't like black?
Quote:
I guess I'm at the point where I'm wondering which is worse: going to the trouble of working at a crappy job that will barely cover my most basic expenses... or just eliminating my expenses entirely, giving up, and just not having any money.

Really, those are the only two options? Maybe a reevaluation is in order.

TISH1124

I used to work for VS Corporate in Columbus, Ohio...and yes you will be fired for not complying with the dress code....That is why they let you know what it is prior to you taking the job

Go to Walmart and get some Black Dickies ...or Ross, Marshalls 12.99 at the most ...Trust me there are more black and Khaki pants sold than any color in the world. Thats all I find when I am looking for other colors.

They are just for work...it saves your great clothes for great times.

Tashona Helena

I agree with Marshalls and Target. I always find my mom stuff to wear to work for cheap at both of these stores.

I know what you're going through. I used to work at Abercrombie, they have a WAY worse dress code, imo, only white navy gray, only jeans, no piercings or earrings bigger than a dime, no nail polish a certain color, no makeup (unless it was natural - just foundation, no eyeliner!!!) no manicures...list goes on. So just be happy you don't have to deal with anymore than the fact of just having to wear black...a lot of jobs are like that, black is just a professional color (which is why we couldn't wear black at Abercrombie, they promoted a "casual lifestyle")

I just went to Target yesterday to look for slacks and they had some but they're sizes are off IMO. I grabbed a size 2 and it was really a 6 to me. It was huge, they have a bigger variety of slacks online than they do at the Target here.

Never tried Walmart, heard they're pretty cool though.