"Keepin' up with the Gurus!"

nongoma

Hi ladies,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. If it isnt please feel free to move it to the appropriate place!

So I've been thinking of late, how much of your make-up purchases are influenced by gurus or any other make-up person on youtube?

I've found that some of my best and worst buys have been directly influenced by youtube. [Note I am not complaining! I totally appreciate others taking the time to show me what works for them] I never would have discovered Ben Nye for example without watch all the hundred and one reviews on there. And I LOVE BEN NYE. Do you get excited when someone shows you something new on youtube? How quick are you to keep up the gurus?!
winks.gif

TIA!

pdtb050606

I can say that I have purchased things that I normally wouldn't have thought of-and that's a good thing. Same as here on Specktra-I have tried new things and techniques that I wouldn't have before, I really enjoy learning new things. Even my husband told me the other day that he thought I did my makeup better and was more creative than when we met. That being said, I don't buy just b/c others have things but I def look at color in a diff way
smiles.gif

Before Specktra I would have NEVER bought a bright yellow e/s, and now I am "patiently" waiting on my Style Warriors pkg right now
whistle.gif

miss_primer

I think Specktra influences my purchases alot more than youtube gurus these days.

When I first started out with makeup youtube gurus did influence me. They influenced me to try nyx, and mac. All of which were good. The only thing that youtube gurus influenced me about that i regret is coastal scents. I hated their brushes.

I think that i am further along now and what colors work with me and brands that i like. So as of now I dont take their reviews as the final word in anything. I pick what I like.

aroseisarose

Youtube got me into makeup in the first place. And it's mostly MAC too! So it's an expensive hobby but one i love. I always try and look for a review of a product on Youtube before I actually go out and buy it and if it gets a bad review from more than one guru, generally I won't buy it. I find it really helpful to have someone test out a product for you. That way you don't end up buying a load of crap. I would honestly have to say that almost all my makeup purchases are influenced by some guru from youtube (I think makeupbytiffanyd, fafinettex3, allthatglitters21, makeupbyrenren, pursebuzz, pixiwoo and wsitn are probably my fave gurus and I definitely check out pinkiecharm and lisasz09 for their reviews).
Youtube also introduced me to Specktra so you've gotta be thankful, right?!

gildedangel

I will admit to being influenced by youtube and specktra but I do my research before making a purchase! I consult a wide variety of resources before I purchase anything beauty related. I find that when I buy something on a whim, I am disappointed. I feel like the gurus over-hype products a smidge.

TISH1124

I purchase a lot because of Specktra fotd's and the collection threads...I have never purchased because of Youtube..I watch vids so rarely.

rbella

Same with me, TISH. I rarely watch vids. I find them to be a pain in the ass. I prefer pics & blogs. Though, I adore makeupgeek & Enkore.

Blushbaby

I like watching tuts on YT and save them to try the looks later on but the only video that has made me buy an item was Sam's (Pixiwoo) tut using Illamasqua's liquid metal in Solstice a few weeks ago. It looked amazing. I'm yet to pick it up from my friend who bought it for me while I was in NY but the review of it on her cPanel makes me think I got sucked into the hype now. I live in hope that I like it when I get it though!

Specktra on the other hand influences me all the time. I don't always follow through with purchases immediately though. If I still want it weeks later, then it gets bought!

I'm quite particular about items I buy anyway and won't buy for the sake of it if I already have something in a similar shade.

I'm wary of of how some people review products on their blogs cos if a brand has sent you items to test, they're obviously looking for positive feedback and the blog writer I imagine, doesn't wanna mess up the chance of being sent more freebies, so I take those reviews with a huge pinch of salt as opposed to somebody who's just walked into a drug/dept store and has bought something off their own back.

Everybody has different budgets and I certainly don't try and 'keep up' with anybody. I buy for me and me alone.

On a slightly different note I definitely think there's a 'clique' on YT, Twitter and in the blogging world which can take the fun away from what should be a stress-free hobby.

Holy Rapture

Honestly, I never had a Specktra to YT transition. I rarely, as in very very rarely sit and watch YT videos just because I have no patience
smiles.gif
Only Specktra has influenced my hauls and always in a good way! I love how everybody on here tells you all they know about a product and give their opinions (-ve or +ve) along with all complexion details etc. that really help you to know what might or might not suit you. So, of course, I always have a list prepped when I step into the MAC store and then, I just buy whatever out of that actually suits me! Till now, it has served me great
thmbup.gif

kittykit

Most of the stuffs I buy are because of Specktra. I like to see what people say about a product before I go and get one myself. I was already a big fan of MAC before I found Specktra but I like it better to walk into the store, knowing what I'd want to try/buy, instead of looking around and buying stuffs I will not use (that happens to me a lot, not only cosmetics).

blazeno.8

Usually the only person who makes me want to buy stuff on Youtube is Josh. The others are fun to watch, but now I reeeeeally want that Kryolan UV pallet.

CellyCell

I can't buy anything based on one person on youtube - I prefer doing the whole forum thing and looking up reviews on MakeupAlley or something.

And I tend to hear new products on forums/blogs long before any youtube guru "discovers" them. Like, I heard about Kryolan/Ben Nye and all that for years from a friend on MakeupTalk but the good thing about youtube is that it hypes up a product and then the reviews pour in much quicker that way.

LMD84

i like that youtube makes me aware of products i may have not heard about. however alot of the time the product won't be availible in the uk (or at least for a few months!) that said i never buy things based on what the gurus say. i know this sounds bad but i never know how honest a couple of them are. i mean it's only 1-2 i don't fully trust the reviews of certain things.

specktra influences me much more because i know that you guys tell it like it is. i know i can find somebody with the same skin type, hair texture, body shape and such as me to compare to as well.

Boasorte

I am now into Specktra than YT< here, there are people who actually KOW what they're talking about ,I must admit, I fell for the CS brushes ( although I like the crease one) bc of YT, not knowing most of the ppl weren't giving honest opnions on it, looking at reviews on the site is worse, bc I am very sure the owner deltes comments she/he doesn't like
So now I prefer to see what people on Specktra think of certain colours before buying, although if I like something, I buy it regardless!!!

amber_j

I find I know so much more now about current and upcoming products than I did before. I had de-cluttered my makeup and got rid of loads of old stuff a few years ago. I've used info and advice from Specktra and YT (and elsewhere) to restock my makeup over the past couple of years. This time, however, I'm buying things that are more suitable for my skin tone, lifestyle, personality etc. I'm also more confident in my application techniques thanks to all those YT tuts, so I'm also making better use of all the stuff I have instead of shoving something in the back of a drawer because I was disappointed with the looks I created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I like watching tuts on YT and save them to try the looks later on but the only video that has made me buy an item was Sam's (Pixiwoo) tut using Illamasqua's liquid metal in Solstice a few weeks ago. It looked amazing. I'm yet to pick it up from my friend who bought it for me while I was in NY but the review of it on her cPanel makes me think I got sucked into the hype now. I live in hope that I like it when I get it though!

Oh no! That's on my wishlist. It looked so amazing in Sam's video. Will wait and read your thoughts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
On a slightly different note I definitely think there's a 'clique' on YT, Twitter and in the blogging world which can take the fun away from what should be a stress-free hobby.

I agree! Not everyone's like that, but I don't enjoy some of the beauty blogs and tuts as much as I used to.

FemmeFatale

I really don't watch too many YT videos, they are a bit irritating. I love to watch PixiWoo's videos because she is a real "guru", she is very talented and can transform because of makeup. Those other ones, I wont mention names, can barely put on makeup. I don't feel the need to watch girls even younger than me that know less about makeup then me tell me how they do their makeup and what I should buy. You know?

Ah, well, to each his own...

atwingirl

I really enjoy tiffany d. Her videos are right around 10 minutes and she used to be a teacher so she has a good teaching style. I find I can pick up a technique from her pretty easily. She's kind of funny too. I don't know if she counts as a Guru but she's got great tips.

smellyocheese

ahhh.... YT is my teacher. about 80% of my makeup application techniques comes from YT gurus and of course I do get influenced into buying stuff because of them. countless items. Ben Nye products, definitely. MAC Creme Liner... coastalscents stuff (duh!!) and most recently, them OCC Lip Tars. There should be loads more but I can't remember all of 'em

I usually don't rely on only one guru's recommendation. They spark interests but I'd go ahead and do my own research watching other videos, reading blogs and makeupalley before I purchase. well, most of the time.

joanbrent

Yes, my teacher too... and MissChievous is my favorite - amazing talent, definitely the most artistic guru on YouTube.

hawaii02

I have certain people I watch on YT, for certain applications and/or use of colors. As some have already said, I would have never bought a yellow eyeshadow without having seen it done here or on YT.

Latest posts