MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

Since it's been 3 weeks since your demo, I'd call the manager you seen and politely ask her if she "heard" anything yet from Homa. Let her know you are / have been anxious to hear from Homa, and is 3 weeks "normal" not to hear anything at all ? Sometimes paperwork, notes, etc can get lost or misplaced...sometimes ppl go on vacation or locations have no immediate openings...so there could be many reasons why you haven't heard from her yet. At least this way, the manager may be able to "push" the phone call for you.

I know the whole MAC process can take some time, but its better to take the initiative to "help push the process", rather than to drive yourself crazy wondering what's going on.

It took me 4 weeks exactly to hear from the counter manager in my area, that was just for my verbal interview. I originally had a phone interview with the regional recruiter who then told me I'd hear from a manager in a few weeks. I almost gave up...then low-and-behold got the call.

beautymahrk

ook thanks... yeah i called the store manager and she said she would email homa again. and yes thr process is soooooo long lol it too me a whole month to get my 1st interview and a whole month for my demo. this is crazy... :)

Good things come to those who wait...right? Before long, your gonna be working at MAC as hopefully I will be too. I just turned in my paperwork last Thursday to get in the system and manger said it would be prolly 2 weeks before I am in there. So i get a call from her today, hoping my employee number is ready ( wishful thinking) only to be told the copy of my SS card was not "clear" enough for HR. WTH? She's the one who copied it, needless to say I have to go back in tomorrow w/ SS card again. That MAC is over an hour away. *sigh*

Oh well, I really want to start working so I am off for the hour drive tomorrow ;)

Keep us posted!

Congrats on your upcoming 1 year Anniversary w/ MAC! From reading past posts by you, I get the sense that you love what you do...even from the start :)

paparazziboy

YES I DO LOVE THAT I DO <3 it is my world my everything makeup isn't just a job its a way of life of me check out my fan page link is in my signature i share beauty tips and tricks and well as my work and experiences
Congrats on your upcoming 1 year Anniversary w/ MAC! From reading past posts by you, I get the sense that you love what you do...even from the start :)

NikkiHorror

Some questions they might ask:

-"Tell me about yourself." (Your makeup background, your sales background, your customer service background, etc.)
-"How would you rate your current makeup application skill level from 1-10? Why?"
-"Do you know about the MAC Viva Glam Program, Back 2 MAC, and Kids Helping Kids? Tell me about them."
-"What do YOU think of when you think of a MAC makeup artist? Describe his or her personality and they way he or she looks, visually."
-"Why do you want to work for MAC? What is your end goal in your makeup career?"
-"What can you bring to a MAC store or counter? What makes you different and more valuable than the other individuals I interviewed today?"
-"What is your favorite MAC product? Sell it to me right now."
-"Imagine that you were performing a makeover on a client and another MAC associate came up to you and critiqued your work...told you they didn't agree with what direction you were going in. How would you handle this?"
-"At the end of a work day, what makes you feel accomplished and successful?"
-"Would you prefer a permanent part-time or freelance position?" (Permanent full time positions are reserved for managers.)
-"What do you think are the all encompassing, most important points of interest for the company? (This question confused me but when rephrased I answered on these lines: customer service, meeting sales goals, working as a team, product knowledge and education to the customer, remaining the most fashion-forward, cutting edge brand in the business.)

NikkiHorror

There will be in between 15-30 girls in your session alone, (usually 2 sessions are seen per day) so do all your can to stand out from the rest. Let your gorgeous inner self shine through; it seems to me that currently they are looking for men and women who are professional, confident, passionate, driven, vibrant, positive, happy, eager-to-serve, enthusiastic, dynamic, can adapt to change, and have an approachable look and are able to work rapidly. I agree: a positive, helpful attitude and a retail/sales background is key...they want to see that you feel comfortable doing makeup, but you don't really have to have much makeup experience or be a certified artist with a portfolio...they want friendly, driven, team-oriented salespeople with a passion for beauty and a natural sense of style and grace. You can teach makeup, but you can't teach someone how to be friendly, positive and genuine. You could have gone to MUD, worked backstage at red carpet events, done Beyonce up for her latest Vogue photoshoot, created your own makeup line, and worked behind the scenes on HDTV, but if your attitude is wrong or you can't sell enthusiastically, they won't hire you.

Choose to bring a model who has nice skin, nice eyes and good bone structure. Make sure she knows to pluck or wax her brows a couple days before and to arrive with clean, moisturized skin. If they give you 30 minutes to do your look, most likely 10 minutes of that will be you scrambling to find product and sanitizing, so cut way down on what you use. Spend most of the time on her skin, throw some color on her cheeks, define her brows, do 2 eyeshadows, mascara, lipglass, and finish off with Fix+ if you have an extra second. Skip everything else...nothing is worse than them calling "time's up!" and your model being half finished...
nope.gif

MAC is the most cutting edge fashion forward company in the business. Know your current makeup trends...you may be the only girl in the room that does, and boy will you WOW the MAC execs. Are full or tadpole shaped eyebrows in? Kim Kardashian feather lashes or natural looking eyes? A bold red lip or nudes? Look in fashion magazines and watch youtube videos of the latest New York Fashion Week and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week recaps. Also pay attention to hair, shoes, clothing, and bags that the models on the runway are wearing. What similarities do you see in the collections? What do you like personally? Take cues from the looks to put together the [100% black] outfit you wear for your demo interview. Always be one step ahead of the game with your look, Specktrettes!!
th_DANCE.gif

City Syd

Wow I see you mentioned running low on time and having a half finished model. I just had my demo here in Atlanta, and I did that just that. No lipstick or mascara. *Shrugs*

It was quite different than I expected. All the models were told to enter a room, and we were instructed to pic someone other than the person we brought. It was funny speaking with my new model who did not believe I picked the right foundation. It was perfect, and she eventually agreed. I spoke to her about her regular regime. She stated that she only came to MAC for color. We discussed the eye shadows and foundation. We spoke about moisturizers and finally Viva Glam lipstick (Lady Gaga Nude), which I did not get to put on her. I got a simple critique about blending a bit more in the outer V. I was told that I have tunnel vision, when doing makeup. I told the observer,"That is SO TRUE". I don't step back to observe, until the end result. lol I just basically told him thanks for all the info, and I will definitely keep that in mind.

Overall, it was a great experience. I took all the information as positive critiques. BTW, during my demo there was no five minute period to retrieve product. You had to get your ish and do the look in thirty. NOT 32, NOT 31, 30!!!! When you are in a setting with 9 other women, only one set of makeup....it can get hectic. You had to bring brushes. They did not provide any brushes. Not one. I came prepared with my usual that I have in my kit. What I can say is give yourself time in terms of sanitation. I always try to be clean, but it's a bit more rigorous for MAC. That part can definitely take a bit of time.

One last thing after you do anything major.....ask your model if she would like to view it before you continue. Every last one of us messed that part up. I do mean all of us. Now the waiting game begins :)
Just wanted to share my experience.

City Syd

One last thing.....I have been beating faces for a while, and I know my ish and I am pretty damn good lol......And I ran out of time. Please believe that it could happen!!!! This was such a humbling experience. Knocked me off my high horse, and I am not ashamed to say it.

City Syd

Yay, I got my call my back yesterday for a final interview at a counter within Macy's. I am terrified. I really wanT a PT perm position. I heard they are really hard to come by. Has anyone had success at getting a perm position without being a freelancer first? I would love some feed back.

paparazziboy

yup i was hired on the spot and didnt have to freelance. you just have to act and think how a mac artist would and do what they would do.

I had my demo today so I thought I would share the experience with all of you.

Here is a brief background on how I got to this point. I handed my application in about a month and a half ago at the mac store in the mall near me. The assistant mgr was so nice and helpful,gave me an app to fill out as well which I did immediately. Then she told me of a job fair at the mall the next day and that the regional recruiter would be there,so I should drop by. She wrote down her name for me which I thought was nice. I had never been to this particular store before because I just moved to the city I live in now 2 months ago!

The next day I went down to talk to the recruiter which took about half an hour. I didn't realize it at the time,but it was considered my first interview. I was called by the assistant mgr at the mac counter in the same mall a week and a half ago,and was interviewed two days later. Then she invited me to do the demo today.

I arrived about 10 minutes early with my model. The mgr sent me away for a couple of minutes so she could give my model the scenario.

Then she told me to ask my model what kind of make up she wanted,and that I had up to 45 minutes to complete it. My model/friend told me she needed a smoky eye and red lip because she's a musician and needed a hot look for on stage. I gathered everything I needed and got to work on her. I did her eyes first,then her foundation and lips. Luckily for me she has amazing skin and great eyebrows so I didn't have to do much in those departments. These are the products I used:

Strobe cream
Prep + Prime face
Pro long wear NC15
Studio fix concealer NC15
MSFN powder
Fix+

I used 4 different shadows,but honestly I just picked them based on how they looked so it was a white (Gesso),silver,gray and really dark gray lol. Also:

Glitter and ice technakohl liner in Smooth Manoeuvre
Plush Lash black mascara
Pinch 'o Peach blush
Redd lipliner
Chili lipstick
Lustreglass in Luminary

I talked through the whole demo explaining all of the products and brushes and why I was using them. She held the hand mirror and looked in it after each step of the application. I also gave her tips on how she could use the products on her own because she normally wears little to no makeup. I was spot on with my sanitation except when it came to the concealer (oops) but I don't think anyone noticed. The counter was super busy and I had customers coming up to me asking questions the whole time I was doing her makeup lol. I answered what I could and directed them to the staff that actually works there for the things I didn't know. I think it helped because they were pretty short staffed.

When I was done I let the mgr know and she came to have a look. She asked my model if she liked it,she said yes and that she would like to purchase the eyeliner I used on her because she really liked how it looked. The mgr said she looked good,but that's all. I hope that meant I didn't make any glaring mistakes! I thought she looked amazing when I was done :)

She then thanked me and said she would call me tomorrow or Sunday to let me know if I got the job. They are doing some quick hiring for the Xmas season so I think I have a good chance. She said they had 10,20 and 25 hour freelance positions available.

Overall I think I did well. I'm a freelance photographer with my own business and I do make up for all of my clients,and I've been doing make up on myself,friends and clients for longer than I care to say here LOL
blush-anim-cl.gif
I also have about 9 years of retail experience.

I would love to post the pics of my interview face and my model but I don't want to jinx it so I'll post them if I get the job. Now it's time to relax a little and hope for the best.

I hope this helps other mac hopefuls because this forum has helped me so much,I can't even explain.

specktra_rocks.gif

City Syd

Awe, I'm really sorry to hear that. I did get a call back, only to be asked about could my availability change. When I stated that I could not change it, I was offered a freelance position. I was not interested lol. I took it, and I have yet to receive an assignment. What hurt worse was I met the young lady that did get the position who stated that she got it, b/c another girl had closed availability......talk about being bummed!!!!!!

Six interviews later I still didn't get a perm position. *shrugs*

City Syd

I wish they had not strung me along that long, my availability clearly states that I didn't have open availability, but it was flattering to even have been considered.

Latest posts