MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

aninhabr85

I applied for full time/part time got hired as a freelancer... freelanced 1 shift and got hired as a perm part time that same week because a poisition opened up. =)
They hire from outside AND from whithin the company... so don't worry. But it's true that it's very hard to be hired immediately as a full time... as they can only have a certain amount of full time employees and the turn over rate is low. So most of people will start as a part time... full times they 30h and up to 37.5 . Usually only managers get 40

QueenBam

Re: Nightmare Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBam
I got it
smiles.gif
She said they thought I did great... so i guess my final product must've been just fine, haha. Well, I applied for freelance and she wants me to interview once more for permanent
greengrin.gif
but i'm pretty much in, right?? haha YAAAAAY
yahoo.gif

OK an update on this....
Basically I didn't get a call to interview with any store managers, after the recruiter already had hired me. AAAAAND so I email her, and she says the position she had for me got filled up.

What.

the.

hell.

then she emails me again... a fulltime counter position just opened at nordstroms in dallas. i had a phone screening interview today, and i have another one next week with the cosmetics director. then i'll probably have another one with the CM.... that'll be 5 interviews. GAH!
this is very exhausting :[
if it wasn't for my love for mac, i would've already said fuck it! lol

LC

good job! I went through 4 interviews myself and it dragged out so I can feel your pain
smiles.gif
it's totally worth it though!

Candee Sparks

So I finally turned in my application today. To my surprise, the manager was just finishing up the makeup on a girl when she asked if I'd be up for a chat when she was done. So of course I said yes and played with some To The Beach stuff in the meantime and when we finally were alone and got to talking it was magical, I seriously felt right at home and I know we hit it off so well. I did some chatting about the products, told her my story and before I knew it she was asking me what day I'd be free to demo. Of course I said as soon as she wanted me to come in so she booked me for this coming Tuesday, the 15th at 4pm. I'm just so shocked, and she said it was great that I came in today because they had an opening for a part-time position that they have yet to find anyone to fill. I'm so excited, beyond words. The idea that my dream job could be my first job is just unreal!

Sorry, had to rant! I'm just so flabbergasted with today's events, had to share!

aninhabr85

Lets us know what it goes =)
Make sure to check all the great advices about demos already posted here in specktra.
Good Luck!!!

Candee Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninhabr85
Lets us know what it goes =)
Make sure to check all the great advices about demos already posted here in specktra.
Good Luck!!!

Thank you and I'll be sure to! Course I'm absolutely nervous and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who pretty much has panic attacks in anticipation. But like a lot of people have said, you just gotta have confidence because it SHINES.

I am guy in case there are those who don't know and I went to the mall with curly, frizzy hair, dirty sneakers, baggy jeans that had black hair dye stains on them and a 4 year old Hollister hoodie when I turned in my application. I honestly thought I'd turn it in, they'd laugh at me after I left because of how homely I looked and that'd be the end of it but I just walked up there with confidence and before I knew it, me and the manager were talking about pigments and other industry topics. I know a lot of the people who will browse this will be women but I keep on getting told how ironic and lucky my situation was so I just want to share every bit of info I can come across.

Also, something I found awesome is that if your confident you recognize a shadow or a lip product, don't feel afraid to ask about them if its the shade your thinking of. Granted, I couldn't see the managers up close but I asked if she was wearing Pink Bronze pigment -- which I actually corrected myself because I mistook it for Amber Lights I believe or some shadow like that. I think it was word vomit that I mentioned Pink Bronze.) But as soon as I mentioned a pigment, you should have seen her eyes light up. Flexing your knowledge of products (modestly) can get you brownie points!
winkiss.gif

jillybean

One of my biggest fears in the demo is how will I know what color foundation to use on my model? I used to work for Clinique and know how to match their foundations but I was taught this AFTER I was hired (no demos involved there) so I'm not quite sure how to 'guess' what color my model is. It took me some time to get the hang of it at Clinique so don't want to waste a lot of valuable time foundation matching!

Do they tell you to put on a full face or do you just automatically assume? I haven't even passed the oral part yet and I'm already freaking out about the demo!

Thank you to all who have posted in this thread, it has been so helpful!

Candee Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean
One of my biggest fears in the demo is how will I know what color foundation to use on my model? I used to work for Clinique and know how to match their foundations but I was taught this AFTER I was hired (no demos involved there) so I'm not quite sure how to 'guess' what color my model is. It took me some time to get the hang of it at Clinique so don't want to waste a lot of valuable time foundation matching!

Do they tell you to put on a full face or do you just automatically assume? I haven't even passed the oral part yet and I'm already freaking out about the demo!

Thank you to all who have posted in this thread, it has been so helpful!

Who ever is managing you should be able to give you more insight on what to use in terms of foundation so it really doesn't hurt to ask questions. As for skin, keep it simple. I used Fix+ spray to prime my friend's face, then I went in with a 130 brush and Mineralized Satinfinish in NW20 followed by Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in Light to set the foundation. My manager explained to me that NW is more for people who have pink tones to their skin while NC is for people who have more of a yellow tone to their skin but then again, I could have gotten that completely backwards.
th_LMAO.gif

If you have the chance to gather your own products for the demo (which some places I guess gather it for you or something?) take the time to get a second opinion on what to use for skin. They don't expect you to know everything and if anything, they just want to see you in action, want to see how well you communicate and sell the product, etc. I never actually had a formal interview so I'm not sure what that's even like so I'm no help here.
th_dunno.gif

tigerli17

I've been a long time lurker, like years. I don't pipe up often too often but I could really do with some advice from you ladies.

I've always been pretty artsy and once I got into Make Up it was naturally just another creative outlet. But the last three years or so I've been aiming to get into the industry. I don't have any solid make up experience other than doing my friends and my own make up - confidence is always something i've had to work hard at. I have taken a course in Beauty and Fashion Make up at the London College of Fashion two years ago though and I'm working on a portfolio seriously this year.

I've got real solid retail experience (sadly not in a cosmetics environment - footwear :-/) but I was Assistant Manager/Temp Manager until I left to become a receptionist/admin in an office. My heart has always been at the MAC store though; when i'm bored at work make up combinations run through my head. I didn't think i'd ever gather up the courage to actually persue anything MU related seriously but when you start dreaming face charts I think it's stupid to try to ignore it any longer.

Reading through your interview experiences has really boosted my confidence to go for it now I know what to expect, thank you for all that posted :) But, the advice side now, do you think i'm out of my league asking to apply for MAC with no solid MU experience and no portfolio yet? Should I build up my experience a bit first? Or would the fact I used to be an assistant manager make up for that a little? It was a little while ago now. Would the Beauty course I took also help?

Also, I have a mortgage to pay for (boo :-( ) and I need to assure my boyfriend that I can still pay for my half and the bills because he's not quite on board with the idea. Would a UK MAC sales assistant/Make Up Artist position pay enough for me to leave my £17K a year job? I just don't want to get so close to the dream job only to find that I can't afford to take it. I think that would hurt more than someone telling me I had no make up skills.

Sorry its a bit long winded....

LetItRock

Right! Well, after waiting for 3 weeks after my verbal interview I had my demo. However even though the store I was applying for was in Nottingham, I had to go for the demo interview in Birmingham as the regional trainer couldn't get to Nottingham for some reason or another.

So I got there with my model, Susie, who is so gorgeous - and I'm still very thankful for her coming all the way to Birmingham with me!

We met the regional trainer Tanya - who was lovely, and then she told me she wanted me to do a smokey eye with a matte skin in 20 mins, then I'd get an extra 5 to carry it out into a full look.

So I got a few minutes to collect products. I got studio fix foundation in NW15. The thing is, my model usually wears NC15 - but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I kinda blagged my way through my decision and said I'd chosen it because she'd gotten a little sunburnt...haha...but shh!

When I returned to the station Tanya told me that there were no petri dishes free at the time, so I had to sanitize my hands and then squirt the foundation onto the back of it. She had already sanitized the brushes for me, so we were ready to go!

I started by using primer, applying it with a 190 brush and explaining the benefits of both the product and the brush. My hands were shaking so much by this point, I was worried how the hell I was gonna get the eyes to look good with my hand wobbling all over the place! Haha. After that, I applied the foundation with the 190, as I did this I explained my (on-the-spot) decision to use NW15 instead of NC15, and spoke about how studio fix can give a gorgeous matte finish (which is what she had asked for).

For the eyes I wanted to go for a smokey eye with a dusky pink accent instead of keeping to just browns or blacks. There weren't that many eye brushes in the brush belt I was using (it wasn't full) so I had to use a 217 for every colour/area. So, under the brow I used Sweet lust. Then for all over the lid I used Honey Lust. In the crease I used a tiny bit of espresso, then blended corduroy into it and into the outer corner. I then used typographic in the outer corner and blended it in nicely and underneath the lower lash line. I used eye pencil in ebony and blended it in with a 266 brush.

NOW - I have never been sure on how M.A.C artists apply mascara - I didn't know if lash wands could be dipped back in once used on one eye - so I picked up two wands and applied pro-lash mascara. I very nearly double-dipped, and I'm thankful I didn't just incase I'd been told off if I was wrong! Haha.

So, I had about 5 minutes left. I'd selected honeylove lipstick and applied it to Susie. I was so pleased with how it looked! I applied blush to her cheeks - I *think* it was pinch-o-peach, but I'm not sure...I can't actually remember haha.

I told Tanya I was just going to apply the transparent finishing powder and she allowed me to have an extra minute or so. Susie loved the texture and showed genuine interest in the product.

So, Tanya came over and inspected the make-up - but didn't say anything other than 'right, that's great!'....so by this point I was worrying about whether she thought it was too bad to put into words! Haha.

We went upstairs to complete the 2nd verbal part of the interview - which was more difficult than the first!

There were the typical customer-care questions, and then a couple about colour theory...as well as asking me who my beauty icon was (Marion Cottilard, just in case you wanted to know!) and where I draw my inspiration from (old Hollywood stars, like Joan Crawford/Bette Davis/Jayne Mansfield).

Aaaanyway....we went back downstairs and she told me I'd hear from them within a week.

One week later and still nothing, so I went into the Nottingham store and spoke to the assistant manager who told me that they had to wait for the main manager, Ruth, to get back off holiday in a couple of weeks time!

I walked out of the shop relieved knowing that there was a reason I hadn't heard anything, but also a little disappointed that I had to wait even longer!

Fast forward to 2 and a half weeks later, and my phone started to ring...I answered, and it was Ruth. She told me I had interviewed really well and that my make-up was fantastic - and that there was a 3 day position if I wanted it! I was so over the moon, I told her how grateful I was and I accepted!

So now I'm just waiting to hear when my first shifts are! Aaagh! So excited!

SarahC0612

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerli17
I've been a long time lurker, like years. I don't pipe up often too often but I could really do with some advice from you ladies.

I've always been pretty artsy and once I got into Make Up it was naturally just another creative outlet. But the last three years or so I've been aiming to get into the industry. I don't have any solid make up experience other than doing my friends and my own make up - confidence is always something i've had to work hard at. I have taken a course in Beauty and Fashion Make up at the London College of Fashion two years ago though and I'm working on a portfolio seriously this year.

I've got real solid retail experience (sadly not in a cosmetics environment - footwear :-/) but I was Assistant Manager/Temp Manager until I left to become a receptionist/admin in an office. My heart has always been at the MAC store though; when i'm bored at work make up combinations run through my head. I didn't think i'd ever gather up the courage to actually persue anything MU related seriously but when you start dreaming face charts I think it's stupid to try to ignore it any longer.

Reading through your interview experiences has really boosted my confidence to go for it now I know what to expect, thank you for all that posted :) But, the advice side now, do you think i'm out of my league asking to apply for MAC with no solid MU experience and no portfolio yet? Should I build up my experience a bit first? Or would the fact I used to be an assistant manager make up for that a little? It was a little while ago now. Would the Beauty course I took also help?

Also, I have a mortgage to pay for (boo :-( ) and I need to assure my boyfriend that I can still pay for my half and the bills because he's not quite on board with the idea. Would a UK MAC sales assistant/Make Up Artist position pay enough for me to leave my £17K a year job? I just don't want to get so close to the dream job only to find that I can't afford to take it. I think that would hurt more than someone telling me I had no make up skills.

Sorry its a bit long winded....

I totally think that you should apply. I do not work for MAC, but am trying to get a job with them as a freelance artist. I've already had my phone interview and my demo interview is in 2 days from now. I have ZERO makeup experience. I am like you - I do my makeup and friends' makeup, and daydream about it during the day at my job. I have a great deal of customer service experience which I think is almost more valuable to them than makeup artistry experience. The one thing I have learned is that they definitely value how well you can SELL and interact with the customer than how well you can put makeup on someone. I think your retail experience will be very helpful for you. The fact that you sold shoes and not cosmetics will not matter that much because you know the basic concept of how to investigate and make and close a sale.

Put together a portfolio and resume and turn it into the manager at your MAC store. He/she will get it to the regional recruiter who will call you if they want to interview you. If you do not get it right away, keep trying and make friends with the MUA's at your MAC store - I know that this has helped me get the phone interview. Also keep in mind that they are not always hiring, so you may have to be patient. the process can be slow with MAC, so do not give up. Just keep trying, and do all you can to get experience and learn. Attend style sessions or Girls nights out at your MAC store (if they offer them). Take classes whenever you can and pick up any books you can find about makeup application.

Also - read as much as you can here on Specktra. I have and I swear it helped me so much for my phone interview. Also, MAC teaches the "FABCE" sales approach. I talked about it in my phone interview and I know it got me huge points!
F - Describe one feature of a product
A - One advantage
B - One benefit
C - One complimentary item
E - "E-layer" or a reason that you are emotionally tied to the product.
Example - The 187 brush has both synthetic and natural hairs (feature). This allows you to use it for both liquid and powder products (Advantage). So you only have to buy this one brush instead of multiple brushes (Benefit). I recommend using our brush cleaner to protect your investment and keep your brushes sanitized and conditioned, (Complimentary item). I love this brush, it is the very first MAC brush I ever bought and I simply cannot live without it (E-layer).

Good luck to you! If you want it bad enough, you will achieve it with enough determination and hard work! Keep us posted on how it goes!

tigerli17

Thank you so much, I'm definitely gonna do it now. You've made me feel much better that they value the sales experience over the MU as I can make a sale no sweat, it's the confidence in the make up application I really need to build up. I'm jotting the FABCE down, I ain't forgetting that one :) Thank you for that bit of advice.

Specktra has been a GOLDMINE of knowledge on the subject and I've got a pretty good idea of what's going to happen which has put me at such ease. I'm getting all the girls down to mine this sunday for a make over day for extra practise :) I'm going to do my professional portfolio in August when my photographer friend can come down so I'm aiming to get into MAC by christmas, vacancies willing. Will definitely let you know how it goes!

Good luck with your interview, please let us know how that goes. I hope for the best for ya.

lolcats

I had my phone interview yesterday and got through, just waiting for the call to book in for a demo and face to face interview.
I have been practising on myself for years, but only recently started practising on other people. I did a short course on beauty make up at London College of fashion which has given me a boost, but I still don't think my skills are upto scratch, but as my mum said, if I don't try I won't get anywhere and the worst they can do is turn me away.
I am hoping because it is for a christmas temp position they will be a bit more leniant, but I will be practising every day on different people as I would love the job.
Hopefully my retail experiance will get me somewhere, I have been a receptionist at a beauty salon and also 2 years working for a skin and hair care brand, so I know about the link sale
th_wink3.gif

lolcats

Sorry if this has been asked before, I understand you can't use your fingers to apply products, but can you use your hand on thier face? My friend who I am taking tends to drop her head so i just have to gently reposition her, and also when using pencils on the eye I tend to hold the skin taunt as I find it creates to much drag other wise? Any help much appreciated1

Chrystia

If you need to reposition your model for anything, I would just tell them. For example: "Would you mind moving your head just a little bit so your looking straight forward so I can make sure I get the blush evenly on both cheeks?"

I understand what you mean with the liner since i do the same thing. make sure your hands are sanitized, ask your model's permission ex: "Now is it ok if I just rest my hand right here so I can make a nice thin line with your liner?" place a tissue between your hand and your model's skin and continue.

Don't panic if you make a mistake with sanitation or forget. You can even say, "I'm so sorry I completely forgot to sanitize my hands after grabbing all of our fabulous colours, I'm going to go ahead and do that now if that's all right".

lolcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystia
If you need to reposition your model for anything, I would just tell them. For example: "Would you mind moving your head just a little bit so your looking straight forward so I can make sure I get the blush evenly on both cheeks?"

I understand what you mean with the liner since i do the same thing. make sure your hands are sanitized, ask your model's permission ex: "Now is it ok if I just rest my hand right here so I can make a nice thin line with your liner?" place a tissue between your hand and your model's skin and continue.

Don't panic if you make a mistake with sanitation or forget. You can even say, "I'm so sorry I completely forgot to sanitize my hands after grabbing all of our fabulous colours, I'm going to go ahead and do that now if that's all right".

Thank you so much, it was something I was kind of stressing over lol. I always keep anti bac hand gel on the side because I'm a bit funny about my hands having to be clean. Touching pennies makes me feel sick, not good when I used to have to cash up.
Sorry to ask a million questions but would you tend to apply lipstick from the tube or use a brush? Just whenever I have visited a mac store they sanitize it and hand it to you to apply out of the tube.

Chrystia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcats
Thank you so much, it was something I was kind of stressing over lol. I always keep anti bac hand gel on the side because I'm a bit funny about my hands having to be clean. Touching pennies makes me feel sick, not good when I used to have to cash up.
Sorry to ask a million questions but would you tend to apply lipstick from the tube or use a brush? Just whenever I have visited a mac store they sanitize it and hand it to you to apply out of the tube.

Don't apologize for asking questions. I LOVE helping people with makeup and I really love being able to be resource for other make up artists to be. Anyhow, I would use a brush for your demo. If you really want to go all out, do part of the lip with the brush, then hand the brush to your "client". Then say something like, "Why don't you try finishing the lip so you can get a feel for how to apply lipstick with the brush?". Show and teach is another huge MAC thing.

Honesty0410

Demo for freelancers

Iʻm a freelancer, been so for about a year now, and was recently told about a perm position opening up. I was wondering, if your already a freelancer, do you have to do a demo interview again, or is it just questions about sales? I hated the demo during my freelancing interview. I remember I was shaking so bad. Ahhh! Please lmk! Thanks guys!