MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

bad girl glam

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettysecrets
Perm. part time All I can think about is getting the job! the waiting is the worst part!

like you stated in your video, You already got this job! now believe that!
thmbup.gif
plus, your look was on point!

Ok so im new to this site. I wanted to share my demo experience with yall. I've only been playing in makeup for about a year now. And over time time I've began to see I had a talent for it and wanted to pursue it. So I went to couple of MAC counters late last year and picked up two applications but never turned them in ( I guess I was a little intimidated). I finally got the nerve to turn in an app and she penciled me in for an interview for that Sunday (Apr. 11th) @11am!! She said bring in a model and that I was going to do a demo for her. I was so so happy!!

So all week I was on Specktra learning about demo interviews, what to wear, what to say, what not to say, etc. So Sunday FINALLY came and me and my friend arrived about 15 minutes early. But there was one problem......the MACy's door were LOCKED and the store didnt open until 11am. UGH!!!! I did not want to be late. I was having a nervous-break down calling Macy's and security to open the doors saying I had a very important interview. LOL! (I can laugh now, but then I was a nervous wreck).

So i finally get in and Christine (the manager) said it was ok and not to worry about it. WHEW! that felt good.
smiles.gif
There were three other applicant there so I didnt feel too bad. So she told my model where to sit and gave me the magazine tear out she wanted me to re-create. It was a pretty easy neutral look with an extreme winged eye and red matte lips. I was like SWEET!

So I did like what so many other Specktra members have done and gathered all the products I would be using, sanitized them, and placed them in an organized manner. Eyeshadows from lightest to darkest, brushes in the order I woud be using them, face and lip products in the order I would be using them. I felt ready when she said she was going to start the time.

Once time started, I began by prepping the skin. I used the famous Strobe cream and then primed her face. I did her eyebrows with Spiked. Then I started her eye makeup. I used Patina (lid color), Texture (crease), Embark (outer crease color), and Ricepaper (highlight). It was FAB. The when it was time to line I used BlackTrack fluidline and I have to admitt to wing that eye out it was very challenging. I went to the lips. I used Red-Enriched (to outline lips), Russian red (lipstick), and Revealing lip gloss for a tiny bit of shimmer. For foundation I used Mineralized Satin finish in NW47 with a 190 brush. Prep & Prime translucent powder, and finally I used Format for blush. BEAUTIFUL LOOK (I wish I would have taken a pic of it). The only problem I had was that winged eye.

Finally Christine came over, took me to another area of the store to critique me. She said I did great, told about that winged eye and how to improve it. Then she asked me to sell her the pen she had in her hand.
smiles.gif
I think I did that pretty well and the next thing I knew she told me I got the JOB!!!!
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
I was so happy!!! Thank you Specktra
specktra_rocks.gif
I could have never had the confidence to do this with our yall's experiences.

Sorry so long you guys.

vc1079

^ Wow thats wonderful!
I would have been shaking with so many applicants around me! I dont have the guts for that ! lol i must get more experience:p

LC

For only being into makeup for about a year, it sounds like you truly understand it. It sounds like this is really your calling. I'm happy you got the job! Great job
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBeauty12
Ok so im new to this site. I wanted to share my demo experience with yall. I've only been playing in makeup for about a year now. And over time time I've began to see I had a talent for it and wanted to pursue it. So I went to couple of MAC counters late last year and picked up two applications but never turned them in ( I guess I was a little intimidated). I finally got the nerve to turn in an app and she penciled me in for an interview for that Sunday (Apr. 11th) @11am!! She said bring in a model and that I was going to do a demo for her. I was so so happy!!

So all week I was on Specktra learning about demo interviews, what to wear, what to say, what not to say, etc. So Sunday FINALLY came and me and my friend arrived about 15 minutes early. But there was one problem......the MACy's door were LOCKED and the store didnt open until 11am. UGH!!!! I did not want to be late. I was having a nervous-break down calling Macy's and security to open the doors saying I had a very important interview. LOL! (I can laugh now, but then I was a nervous wreck).

So i finally get in and Christine (the manager) said it was ok and not to worry about it. WHEW! that felt good.
smiles.gif
There were three other applicant there so I didnt feel too bad. So she told my model where to sit and gave me the magazine tear out she wanted me to re-create. It was a pretty easy neutral look with an extreme winged eye and red matte lips. I was like SWEET!

So I did like what so many other Specktra members have done and gathered all the products I would be using, sanitized them, and placed them in an organized manner. Eyeshadows from lightest to darkest, brushes in the order I woud be using them, face and lip products in the order I would be using them. I felt ready when she said she was going to start the time.

Once time started, I began by prepping the skin. I used the famous Strobe cream and then primed her face. I did her eyebrows with Spiked. Then I started her eye makeup. I used Patina (lid color), Texture (crease), Embark (outer crease color), and Ricepaper (highlight). It was FAB. The when it was time to line I used BlackTrack fluidline and I have to admitt to wing that eye out it was very challenging. I went to the lips. I used Red-Enriched (to outline lips), Russian red (lipstick), and Revealing lip gloss for a tiny bit of shimmer. For foundation I used Mineralized Satin finish in NW47 with a 190 brush. Prep & Prime translucent powder, and finally I used Format for blush. BEAUTIFUL LOOK (I wish I would have taken a pic of it). The only problem I had was that winged eye.

Finally Christine came over, took me to another area of the store to critique me. She said I did great, told about that winged eye and how to improve it. Then she asked me to sell her the pen she had in her hand.
smiles.gif
I think I did that pretty well and the next thing I knew she told me I got the JOB!!!!
yahoo.gif
yahoo.gif
I was so happy!!! Thank you Specktra
specktra_rocks.gif
I could have never had the confidence to do this with our yall's experiences.

Sorry so long you guys.

Thanks baci! Yeah Im still very much an amateur. But Im working on it and even willing to take on events without pay. I just wanna get better and learn
sneaky.gif

bad girl glam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBeauty12
Thanks baci! Yeah Im still very much an amateur. But Im working on it and even willing to take on events without pay. I just wanna get better and learn
sneaky.gif

congrats girl! i'm very happy for you!
specktra_rocks.gif

Nayari712

Re: Demos-foundation skin matching Q

Thank you La Dolce Diva for all the GREAT info. I'm going to my demo maybe by this Friday 4/30, but the MRO told me she would call me first to confirm. So it's good to read all of this before hand. I do have a question...Did you have to make two looks like a day to night? Just wondering? I want to be ready just in case. Well let me know any info is greatly appreciated.

andicandi3x12

I have my second demo coming up tomorrow. I applied two years ago, passed demo but was not hired at the third interview. When I had my demo before, the trainers did all the sanitation for me. They Just had me pick my product then they set up my station. I dont know what to expect tomorrow because it's supposed to be one on one with the store manager because Homa was trying to match me to a store near me. Before it was groups of 3 applicants going in front of the trainers. I have no idea what look to do on myself or anything. Im just a mess. I really want this though. Homa only gave me two pointers on my makeup, lighten my brows and keep it natural toward the top of my lid, Im nc45 and always use painterly haha!

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicandi3x12
I have my second demo coming up tomorrow. I applied two years ago, passed demo but was not hired at the third interview. When I had my demo before, the trainers did all the sanitation for me. They Just had me pick my product then they set up my station. I dont know what to expect tomorrow because it's supposed to be one on one with the store manager because Homa was trying to match me to a store near me. Before it was groups of 3 applicants going in front of the trainers. I have no idea what look to do on myself or anything. Im just a mess. I really want this though. Homa only gave me two pointers on my makeup, lighten my brows and keep it natural toward the top of my lid, Im nc45 and always use painterly haha!

Do you live in the MD, VA region? Homa was my recruiter too
smiles.gif

andicandi3x12

I sure do! she is amazing, I went through this process about two years ago, and when I interviewed with her this time, she said " I believe weve met before" I was just thinking wow her memory is amazing, for all the girls she must see Its amazing that she remembers so much! I think it shows how much she cares and how involved she is with everything.

iShadow

Eeeeee I have my demo tomorrow at 11!! My mama is going to be my model, and I have a few questions. She tried to talk me into putting stuff on under her eyes before I moisturize, but I didn't think that was necessary, given the time restraints? Thoughts?

Also, (and I feel like a total noob asking this) do I apply things like Strobe Liquid and primer with my hands, if I spray them with alcohol or something first? Or is that super unprofessional? No one has complained when I've used my hands before, but I wanted feedback from you guys before I waltz in and manhandle my mom.

Also, when doing her foundation and eye makeup, is it okay to like... idk how to word this without making it sound awkard... pull her skin to make it a little more taught? Same with her eyelids, just because her skin is a little older. Does that make any sense? Also, any advice on applying mascara? It was way harder than I thought and I totally made a mess on my friend!

Candee Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by airrinleah
Hi All!! Yesterday, I had my demo interview for a freelance position at Carousel Center Mall in Syracuse, NY. I thought I would give you a detailed description of my application demo interview - that's what I was looking for before this experience. I was really excited and before I started my fingers were a little shaky! As soon as I started, though, I was calm and it was a blast! (and by the way.... I GOT THE JOB :-D :-D :-D )

I brought my friend, also named Erin, with me to model. She is *beautiful* and I picked her (aside from the fact that she is my friend) because she doesn't tend to wear makeup, she has beautiful green eyes and red hair, and her skin is freckled and flawless! I definitely recommend bringing someone with nice skin - it makes the job easier.

Erin and I met outside and walked together to the counter. The manager, Holly, and the other MA on the floor, Ricki, greeted me and brought us to the middle of the counter. There was a tall chair set up and we put our stuff on the floor near the chair. Immediately, Holly told me that the all the girls (the morning MAs) were all excited I was interviewing and decided it was a "sure thing" :) (You gotta love knowing all the MAs by name :) )That set me at ease right away. Throughout the interview, whenever Holly stepped away, Ricki came over and checked up on me, and asked if I had any questions or needed anything - I felt really comfortable!

Holly told me she was going to pick one of the Culturebloom looks from their manual (not a look on the website, I checked) and actually gathered all of the colors for me and gave me their brush set all set up. She told me I could look around and grab an appropriate foundation and concealer, and anything else I wanted to use for the look. I grabbed prep and prime face and lip, and then looked for foundations. I don't personally use the P&P eye at all, but Holly grabbed the Medium and said "for your base" and so I decided to use it instead of the paint. I was pretty sure Erin was NW20 and it turned out to be a perfect match... unfortunately they had no NW20 in Tech or Fix (the two foundations which I have used) so I grabbed Studio Tint, which I really ended up loving for her skin, and actually believe Tint was better for her than the Tech/Fix would have been.

Holly showed me the look, and allowed me to keep the facechart for the duration of the interview. It used the following:

Lavender Sky, Vellum, Iris Print, and Vapour Shadows, violet underground e/l, dressed brow set
Redd lip liner, trance plant, and culture bloom l/s
Sweet William blushcreme

while Holly went to help a customer, I sanitized my hands first, and then all of the products. I wiped the shadows with a tissue, dipped the eyeliner, lipliner, lipstick, and p&p lip in alcohol and then sharpened the pencils. I found the disposable mascara wands, qtips, spatulas, and petri dishes and took out the brushes I felt particularly comfortable with. Unfortunately, they don't put the 187s or 212s in the belt (both brushes I LOVE) but I found alternatives.

When Holly came back, I started the application. I began by asking Erin about her skin and whether she had moisturized or had on any makeup. I began with the prep and prime skin (from petri dish), describing it to her and then actually having her put some on her hands (that's how an MA got me to buy it - it's SO SMOOTH!) and applied it with the 190. Right away, I started selling the 190 brush, as I love it for primer, moisturizer, and foundation application. I applied the P&P lip and eye at this point, also describing the brushes (316 and 242). I asked Holly about the 187 and whether or not they use them in belts - she said because they are so expensive, they only sell them & so I described the brush to Erin and told her I would show it to her in the end - it's really one of my fav. brushes and I described how I like to use it.

At this point, I lightly applied the foundation from the petri dish, explaining that she didn't need much because of her beautiful skin and I wanted to let her freckles show through. I should mention that Erin didn't necessarily need foundation, but I wanted to show that I could match it to Erin's skin. Holly was with me for about 80% of the application, and I applied eyes, then cheeks, then lips. I talked and taught and used Mac references throughout. Some of the things I brought up:

foundation shouldn't be like a mask - blend in the jawline, don't need to cover the skin - should just be an improvement if improvement is necessary, unless you are going for a different look

described shades of foundation, and why I matched her like I did (look at inner arm - green veins = nc, blue/purple veins = nw, lower numbers for paler skin)

named every product I used (brushes, shadows, sanitizing measures, all product), and explained finishes to shadows, various brushes and what I used them for, and other ideas for the brushes. Also mentioned the differences between brush materials (synthetic , goat hair, etc.) and used this as an opportunity to mention that Mac is cruelty free in their makeup production and brush manufacturing.

labeled parts of the eye (inner v, outer v, lashline, waterline, lid, crease, tear duct area, lower lashline) and briefly explained that dark colors recess and light colors highlight, for eyes (crease vs. lid, browbone) and for other face bone structures.

mentioned ways the look could be altered and adapted to Erin's personal makeup style.

when I was applying makeup and not particularly needing to describe where, or when, I used that time to talk to Erin as a friend about MAC and why I love it - I explained Back2MAC, Viva Glam & Aids Donations, and the Motto.

As I was finishing up , I referenced the picture and cleaned up a few things. I did ask Holly if she had any suggestions or tips and she had me use the 219 to intensify the color in the corners, and blend the right eyeliner a bit. She made a few other suggestions and ta-daa! We were done! It was a shock for me and for my model because a girl who usually wears gloss and a LITTLE pinkish shadow was wearing a smokey purple eye with red/burnt orange lips and blush. It was a riot. She was such a good sport and never flinched :p

At this point, Holly asked if she could have a few minutes with me, and Erin took off, as we drove separately. Holly and I went to the food court and.... SHE OFFERED ME THE JOB :-D She hired me for "on-call" and "freelance". I am so, so excited :) She said that my speaking and 'verbage' was the best or tied for best she has experienced for an interview - I dedicate that to a few things: in my "real" life I am a music teacher, I am used to describing and teaching my way through things, Obsessively reading here and on LJ, studying descriptions on the website (brushes and finishes) and, especially studying things I don't use or have limited exposure to (their mascara, foundation, concealers).

The whole experience took about an hour and a half, and I am going back today for paperwork. I am so totally excited, and looking forward to my first event.

If you have any questions about the process (anything!) I would love to answer them for you. I hope this helps someone going for the interview!!

Erin =)
wavey.gif

Its a miracle that I came across this thread because I am literally about to apply at the same counter at the Carousel Center in Syracuse, NY!!! Relieved a lot of my nerves because my decision to finally fill out my application I got in January was made just a few hours ago and I'm going to be turning in my application tomorrow. I'm 100% determined to get in there finally and I've been told for several years now that I need to apply, even by MAC employees themselves. Still, I have the feeling that I may not be good enough for them but its still worth a shot!

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShadow
Eeeeee I have my demo tomorrow at 11!! My mama is going to be my model, and I have a few questions. She tried to talk me into putting stuff on under her eyes before I moisturize, but I didn't think that was necessary, given the time restraints? Thoughts?

Also, (and I feel like a total noob asking this) do I apply things like Strobe Liquid and primer with my hands, if I spray them with alcohol or something first? Or is that super unprofessional? No one has complained when I've used my hands before, but I wanted feedback from you guys before I waltz in and manhandle my mom.

Also, when doing her foundation and eye makeup, is it okay to like... idk how to word this without making it sound awkard... pull her skin to make it a little more taught? Same with her eyelids, just because her skin is a little older. Does that make any sense? Also, any advice on applying mascara? It was way harder than I thought and I totally made a mess on my friend!

no hands for anything in mac world! stuff like strobe cream, moisturizers, etc are applied with brushes only. a foundation brush is good for face moisturizers, and a smaller brush like a 217 is good for under eye products...at pretty much any other counter, hands are ok for that type of stuff, but mac is just super picky about not using hands. however, i recommend not even using any of those products for your demo..stick with makeup only. you have a time limit so you don't want to waste your time with more products.

for mascara, apply to the bottom lashes first. I've found it easiest to hold the mascara wand vertically and swipe it across the bottom lashes. it transfers more products, then you can go thru with the wand horizontally (if you even need to, sometimes it looks fine the way it is) and smooth it out.
for the top lashes, stand to their side and have them look straight ahead but down just a tad. start by rolling the mascara want on the tops of their lashes, then go through underneath and zig zag the wand up.

goodluck!!!

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candee Sparks
Its a miracle that I came across this thread because I am literally about to apply at the same counter at the Carousel Center in Syracuse, NY!!! Relieved a lot of my nerves because my decision to finally fill out my application I got in January was made just a few hours ago and I'm going to be turning in my application tomorrow. I'm 100% determined to get in there finally and I've been told for several years now that I need to apply, even by MAC employees themselves. Still, I have the feeling that I may not be good enough for them but its still worth a shot!

you will be perfect at a mac counter or store! trust me!

iShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci
no hands for anything in mac world! stuff like strobe cream, moisturizers, etc are applied with brushes only. a foundation brush is good for face moisturizers, and a smaller brush like a 217 is good for under eye products...at pretty much any other counter, hands are ok for that type of stuff, but mac is just super picky about not using hands. however, i recommend not even using any of those products for your demo..stick with makeup only. you have a time limit so you don't want to waste your time with more products.

for mascara, apply to the bottom lashes first. I've found it easiest to hold the mascara wand vertically and swipe it across the bottom lashes. it transfers more products, then you can go thru with the wand horizontally (if you even need to, sometimes it looks fine the way it is) and smooth it out.
for the top lashes, stand to their side and have them look straight ahead but down just a tad. start by rolling the mascara want on the tops of their lashes, then go through underneath and zig zag the wand up.

goodluck!!!

thanks dude! i practiced again last night before the demo today, and it actually went super well, for some reason the mascara application was easier.

Candee Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci
you will be perfect at a mac counter or store! trust me!

Aww thanks so much, that helped brighten my spirits! Also, do you think it'd be a good idea to "conveniently" have shots from my portfolio with me when I go to turn in my application? I sometimes have employees that will start up conversations and not sure if I should have some kind of picture material with me so I don't come off as pushy.