MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

gildedangel

Re: What make up for a MAC DEMO?

I agree to go on trend, but try to do it in a way that is somewhat wearable; don't go too OTT. Remember that if you were hired at MAC, you would be doing makeup on customers, who aren't going to want extreme looks. I also agree that you should practice beforehand so it comes out perfect! Good luck!

L1LMAMAJ

update 11/19: YAY I got hired as a permanent employee at MAC! WOOO!

Here is a detailed entry about my MAC interview in case anyone is interested:

Where shall I start? Okay so the interview was in Emeryville at their training facility. We arrived an hour early but decided to go to the mall nearby to get some food. So we leave the mall 25 minutes before my interview starts which was at 1:00 pm. But...

We got LOST! YEA lost. What the hell? Yes I am horrible at directions and I guess I made a wrong turn which took me all the way to Telegraph St. in OAKLAND! AHHH wrong city. Okay so we finally find out way to the place and I was already LATE. It took forever to find the right parking lot. The clock read 1:02 pm. I was thinking, "Oh crap, I'm already not gonna get hired cuz no one's gonna wanna hire someone that's LATE." I was about to CRY. UGH I hated myself because we were technically early but because of my horrible navigation, we make a wrong turn and everything just get ruined.

So we parked, I SPRINTED into the building (literally). Let me tell you, I have never run that fast in heels before. It was actually quite amazing. Anyway I'm shaking because I'm nervous about being late, panting because I just sprinted. Everything was just going BAD. Luckily as I got there, the artists and their models hadn't been called in yet. So PHEW, I wasn't actually late. That put me at ease again.

We walk into a huge room and the verbal interview was going to start. It was a HUGE group, probably around 25 girls. CRAZY right? I knew in a group that big, I had to stand out and answer all the questions. TIP: Try to answer the questions first because if you answer last, it'll just seem like you're repeating what the previous people said. So first they ask us questions about MAC's Back 2 MAC program, Viva Glam, Kids helping Kids etc. They asked what we knew about MAC's history. Next they asked about what the most important thing about MAC was. The questions were pretty general. I answered all the questions and made sure I stood out with my answers. I explained what the B2M program was and what Viva Glam stood for. I told them about how MAC was founded in Canada by two men and when their first store opened up and where and how the brand was meant for professional makeup artists but later on released to the public. The interviewers were so impressed with my answers. They called me "Ms. Google" as a joke. TIP: So do your research, learn all about the company and what they stand for. It will blow them away.

So for the last question, they asked us which products was our favorite. I said that paint pots were my favorite because the neutral colored ones like Painterly can be used as a base and neutralized redness in your skin. I also said paint pots can also be eyeshadows and they come in all different colors.

Then came the demo part. At this point, I wasn't so nervous anymore because I knew I did well in the verbal part. So we got with our model and then they made us switch models! The reason why they did that was because in the real world, you can't choose which customer comes to your counter. You have to be able to do everyone's makeup. I ended up with a really pretty Indian girl. She had great eye structure and good skin which made my job a lot easier. When they started the timer (they gave us 30 mins to do a night time red carpet look for a movie star), all of us girls ran to the products and started picking out the stuff we would use on our models. It was CRAZY! OMG I started at the foundation side and by the time I got to the eyeshadows, there were only like 10 left. NOT KIDDING. I was freaking out because I had chosen colors in my head already but none of the ones I wanted were there.

So they supplied us with only 5 brushes and 2 of them I never used before. For my everyday looks, I always use the 224, 217, and 219 no matter what. They gave me the 109, 275 (angled eyeshadow brush), 252, 219, and the stiff angled eyeliner brush.

I ended up using Vex, Grey Stone, a dark brown color, and Next To Nothing on her eyes and smolder to line. I put some Atlantic Blue on her lower lashline to give a pop of blue. I used mascara on her top and bottom lashes. I used Pinch Me blush on her cheeks and Viva Glam VI lipstick with a pinky lipglass. As I was doing her eyes, I explained why I was using the colors on her and how they work together. I was so in the zone and so quick with my work. I was actually surprised because it usually takes me forever to do my makeup. I explained why I was using certain brushes and why different finishes really make the look have more dimension (instead of having a disco ball on your eyes). I used the 252 to apply Vex all over, then the 275 for the Grey Stone (outer v), the 275 for the dark brown color in her crease, and also the 275 for Next to Nothing. I used the angled liner brush to do her eyeliner as well as fill in her brows with the dark brown color. I introduced the 109 brush to her for foundation, loose powder, strobe lotion, and blush. She was so surprised at how versatile one brush was. I prepped her skin with some strobe lotion (the prep and prime was no where to be seen probably because it was so chaotic in there) and added Studio Fix Fluid in NC40 on her face. I explained how it had SPF which is good for sun protection. I set it with the loose powder in medium then added the blush. I lined her lips, then explained what Viva Glam was and then gave her some lipgloss. As a highlight, I used Next to Nothing because it's slightly shimmery and it looked pretty on her skin. I told her how eyeshadows can be used as blush and vice versa. Everything can be used for more than one thing!

I was the first one to finish which I think gave me an advantage. The interviewers were very surprised that I finished in less than 20 minutes and they said that I explained everything very well. (They walked by every so often to check up on us.) I put all my stuff away before the 30 minutes was up.

Next, they said they're gonna discuss things (we cleaned the brushes during this time) and they would come back and let us know if we got the job or not. They came back a little while later and passed us all green cards. On the other side, it either had the number 1 or the number 2. If you got 1, you are in. If you got 2, you're not hired. I turned my card over and it was a 1!! YAY!!
smiles.gif
So out of the 25 people that were interviewing with me, only 5 of us got in. So for all you MAC hopefuls, you can do it!! Let me know if you have any questions.
smiles.gif

For the first time ever, my mom said she was so proud of me!

stronqerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
update: YAY! I'm officially got hired at MAC! I just got back from my MAC interview!! I'm so excited!

Here is a detailed entry about my MAC interview in case anyone is interested:

Where shall I start? Okay so the interview was in Emeryville at their training facility. We arrived an hour early but decided to go to the mall nearby to get some food. So we leave the mall 25 minutes before my interview starts which was at 1:00 pm. But...

We got LOST! YEA lost. What the hell? Yes I am horrible at directions and I guess I made a wrong turn which took me all the way to Telegraph St. in OAKLAND! AHHH wrong city. Okay so we finally find out way to the place and I was already LATE. It took forever to find the right parking lot. The clock read 1:02 pm. I was thinking, "Oh crap, I'm already not gonna get hired cuz no one's gonna wanna hire someone that's LATE." I was about to CRY. UGH I hated myself because we were technically early but because of my horrible navigation, we make a wrong turn and everything just get ruined.

So we parked, I SPRINTED into the building (literally). Let me tell you, I have never run that fast in heels before. It was actually quite amazing. Anyway I'm shaking because I'm nervous about being late, panting because I just sprinted. Everything was just going BAD. Luckily as I got there, the artists and their models hadn't been called in yet. So PHEW, I wasn't actually late. That put me at ease again.

We walk into a huge room and the verbal interview was going to start. It was a HUGE group, probably around 25 girls. CRAZY right? I knew in a group that big, I had to stand out and answer all the questions. TIP: Try to answer the questions first because if you answer last, it'll just seem like you're repeating what the previous people said. So first they ask us questions about MAC's Back 2 MAC program, Viva Glam, Kids helping Kids etc. They asked what we knew about MAC's history. Next they asked about what the most important thing about MAC was. The questions were pretty general. I answered all the questions and made sure I stood out with my answers. I explained what the B2M program was and what Viva Glam stood for. I told them about how MAC was founded in Canada by two men and when their first store opened up and where and how the brand was meant for professional makeup artists but later on released to the public. The interviewers were so impressed with my answers. They called me "Ms. Google" as a joke. TIP: So do your research, learn all about the company and what they stand for. It will blow them away.

So for the last question, they asked us which products was our favorite. I said that paint pots were my favorite because the neutral colored ones like Painterly can be used as a base and neutralized redness in your skin. I also said paint pots can also be eyeshadows and they come in all different colors.

Then came the demo part. At this point, I wasn't so nervous anymore because I knew I did well in the verbal part. So we got with our model and then they made us switch models! The reason why they did that was because in the real world, you can't choose which customer comes to your counter. You have to be able to do everyone's makeup. I ended up with a really pretty Indian girl. She had great eye structure and good skin which made my job a lot easier. When they started the timer (they gave us 30 mins to do a night time red carpet look for a movie star), all of us girls ran to the products and started picking out the stuff we would use on our models. It was CRAZY! OMG I started at the foundation side and by the time I got to the eyeshadows, there were only like 10 left. NOT KIDDING. I was freaking out because I had chosen colors in my head already but none of the ones I wanted were there.

So they supplied us with only 5 brushes and 2 of them I never used before. For my everyday looks, I always use the 224, 217, and 219 no matter what. They gave me the 109, 275 (angled eyeshadow brush), 252, 219, and the stiff angled eyeliner brush.

I ended up using Vex, Grey Stone, a dark brown color, and Next To Nothing on her eyes and smolder to line. I put some Atlantic Blue on her lower lashline to give a pop of blue. I used mascara on her top and bottom lashes. I used Pinch Me blush on her cheeks and Viva Glam VI lipstick with a pinky lipglass. As I was doing her eyes, I explained why I was using the colors on her and how they work together. I was so in the zone and so quick with my work. I was actually surprised because it usually takes me forever to do my makeup. I explained why I was using certain brushes and why different finishes really make the look have more dimension (instead of having a disco ball on your eyes). I used the 252 to apply Vex all over, then the 275 for the Grey Stone (outer v), the 275 for the dark brown color in her crease, and also the 275 for Next to Nothing. I used the angled liner brush to do her eyeliner as well as fill in her brows with the dark brown color. I introduced the 109 brush to her for foundation, loose powder, strobe lotion, and blush. She was so surprised at how versatile one brush was. I prepped her skin with some strobe lotion (the prep and prime was no where to be seen probably because it was so chaotic in there) and added Studio Fix Fluid in NC40 on her face. I explained how it had SPF which is good for sun protection. I set it with the loose powder in medium then added the blush. I lined her lips, then explained what Viva Glam was and then gave her some lipgloss. As a highlight, I used Next to Nothing because it's slightly shimmery and it looked pretty on her skin. I told her how eyeshadows can be used as blush and vice versa. Everything can be used for more than one thing!

I was the first one to finish which I think gave me an advantage. The interviewers were very surprised that I finished in less than 20 minutes and they said that I explained everything very well. (They walked by every so often to check up on us.) I put all my stuff away before the 30 minutes was up.

Next, they said they're gonna discuss things(we cleaned the brushes during this time) and they would come back and let us know if we got the job or not. They came back a little while later and passed us all green cards. On the other side, it either had the number 1 or the number 2. If you got 1, you are in. If you got 2, you're not hired. I turned my card over and it was a 1!! YAY!!
smiles.gif
So out of the 25 people that were interviewing with me, only 5 of us got in. They told us we were hired for the freelance/on-call position which doesn't necessarily mean we'll get hours or will get called. We would still have to hustle and get the managers to know us so they would call us in the future.

As we were filling out paperwork, one of the interviewers asked me if he could have a word with me. We went to another room and he told me that they wanted to offer me a permanent position! I was sooo excited!! Freelance/on-call artists don't get training, no gratis, no discount, no guaranteed hours. Permanent artists get guaranteed hours, gratis, and a huge discount! So exciting. So within 10 minutes, the MAC manager from the store that was hiring for the permanent position called me and asked me to come in for an interview tomorrow. YAY! I'm so excited! I'm so thankful to have made it this far.

So for all you MAC hopefuls, you can do it!! Let me know if you have any questions.
smiles.gif

For the first time ever, my mom said she was so proud of me!

I am sooo happy for you! You know it may sounds a little weird/creepy...but I was thinking about you today and hoping you did well! I know you've been wanting this and I hope you get the perm position. I started about 2 months ago, and I am still freelancing, but I am getting about 15 hrs a week now, I went for a 2 perm interviews yesterday. One at the store I been freelancing at, (had another demo), and a verbal one at a local counter. They told me they'd let me know within the next few days, so I hope to hear back from them soon. Anyways, please keep us updated and again, I am so happy for you! You are really talented, you deserved this!

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx
I am sooo happy for you! You know it may sounds a little weird/creepy...but I was thinking about you today and hoping you did well! I know you've been wanting this and I hope you get the perm position. I started about 2 months ago, and I am still freelancing, but I am getting about 15 hrs a week now, I went for a 2 perm interviews yesterday. One at the store I been freelancing at, (had another demo), and a verbal one at a local counter. They told me they'd let me know within the next few days, so I hope to hear back from them soon. Anyways, please keep us updated and again, I am so happy for you! You are really talented, you deserved this!

you are SOOO sweet! that made me so happy!! thank you for keep me in your thoughts! that must've really did it!! i really hope you get the perm position!
smiles.gif
you are also very talented! i love your FOTDs.
smiles.gif
keep me posted!

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx

Theres a MAC opening up in Times Square soon, if ur looking for a permanent positio
smiles.gif

Congrats Jennifer! I knew u could do it!!!!!!
yahoo.gif
yes.gif
thmbup.gif

JESUS 25 girls? I'm shocked, but thanks for the tips, I feel like from reading all these Specktra posts about cosmetics jobs I'm gonna ace the interview, but no one calls me back lol

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Theres a MAC opening up in Times Square soon, if ur looking for a permanent positio
smiles.gif

Congrats Jennifer! I knew u could do it!!!!!!
yahoo.gif
yes.gif
thmbup.gif

JESUS 25 girls? I'm shocked, but thanks for the tips, I feel like from reading all these Specktra posts about cosmetics jobs I'm gonna ace the interview, but no one calls me back lol

thank you!!

it took them 2 months to call me back! they told me they try to gather as many resumes together as possible then they start calling people for interviews. so don't worry, just go back and let them know u just wanted to check up and see if they know when there is a job fair and bring a resume with you so you can give it to them. sometimes resumes get misplaced. don't give up! i didn't and i'm glad!
smiles.gif

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
thank you!!

it took them 2 months to call me back! they told me they try to gather as many resumes together as possible then they start calling people for interviews. so don't worry, just go back and let them know u just wanted to check up and see if they know when there is a job fair and bring a resume with you so you can give it to them. sometimes resumes get misplaced. don't give up! i didn't and i'm glad!
smiles.gif

Oo0o thanks, usually I get stuck on what to say when following up on applications never thought to ask about a job fair
thmbup.gif

L1LMAMAJ

Re: Got hired at MAC! This is my story VERY LONG!!!

soo very happy for you!! you are a fine example of determination!

machonesty

All MAC Demos are different: My Story

I had my verbal which was pretty much what every one said it would be. Know MAC history and wear MAC to your interview. Dress in all black. MY demo was a little disappointing however, bc many of the products that I would have used were not available to sample and the counter was a little unorganized. I couldnt find a lot of key products like eyeliner, prep n prime, fix +. The worst part was I was so excited to use a full set of MAC brushes and the MA gave me about 5 older brushes in a cup and I had to work with that. No 190, not even a 239.

Some things u just can prepare for, so stay calm and do u best whatever comes your way. Be prepared to do day/night look, but there was a scenario: Your client always wears black eyeliner and pink lipstick. Give her a new look, thats on trend. No your trends for fall and spring 2010. I have another interview (3rd) with the DM after the holidays. Wish me luck

MAC demo interview

hello ladies. so I made it through my first interview. I got a call from the regional recruiter saying they want to hire me and if i was interested in working in a particular store part time. then she asked me to come in tomorrow for a demo interview with my model and all the makeup and brushes will be provided. I have read every thread on here that I could about what to expect during the demo interview. I do feel very confident in my makeup application abilities and also my ability to sell product. the only thing I feel very nervous about is that i am not very familiar with alot of mac products such as mac foundations, concealers, primers or lipsticks. the only products i have used from mac is the eyeshadows, pigments, and lipglosses. i absolutely love mac but i have not been fortunate enough to afford alot of their makeup in the past. i am nervous that this might cost me the job at mac. I am bringing my friend Marisa as my model and i wanted to take her to a store before the interview so i can match her ahead of time but now there is no time for that. she has very dark brown hair, brown eyes, and gorgeous porcelin skin. i have done her makeup a few times before but have only used mac eyeshadows on her. so my worries are, will they allow me enough time to match her skin? what should i use as eye and skin primer? will they ask what products I am wearing? how do the determine what look you will do on your model? i really want this job and I hope my lack of knowledge wont ruin my chances because I really believe in my heart that I am a great makeup artist. what do you ladies think i should do?
th_dunno.gif

lyttleravyn

Re: MAC demo interview

It sounds like you are off to a great start! The big thing I would recommend is go to MAC's website and read about the different types of foundations, powders, etc. that they carry that you may not be that familiar with. You could be the best makeup artist in the world, but the bottom line is that they are a makeup company selling makeup. They probably won't expect you to match her perfectly on your first try, but they most likely will want you to know a little about the products you are putting on her face. Which foundation, why did you choose that product for her. Which product and why for everything. Does it have SPF? What kind of coverage does it provide? Things like that for foundations and powders.

MAC has their Prep + Prime products that include primers for Face, Lip, Lash, Eye, etc. Personally I would use the Face Primer and then put a little lip primer on to give it a chance to dry, then do the rest of the face. For Eyes, I like the paint pots or paints as primers. You should be able to explain why you are using Primers, which brushes you are using to apply them, etc.

Be familiar with brushes and their uses. Or at least be able to explain which brush you are using to apply products and why. (For example, I'm using the 217 brush to apply this eyeshadow because it helps build the color and blend the shadow so there isn't a harsh line.)

And they will tell you the kind of look they want you to do right at the start. Usually its something like a Day look and then use X amount of products to make it a Night look, or they might ask for a "red carpet" or "holiday" look.

Hope that helps, and good luck!!

thank you so much for the helpful response, i definitely have been studying on the mac website for the past few hours. just one more question though, i have a tendancy to blend concealer with my finger, would that be looked down upon during my demo? if so, do they have disposable sponges or what is the correct way by mac's standards to blend without using your fingers? thanks

rafaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeupByJoyce
thank you so much for the helpful response, i definitely have been studying on the mac website for the past few hours. just one more question though, i have a tendancy to blend concealer with my finger, would that be looked down upon during my demo? if so, do they have disposable sponges or what is the correct way by mac's standards to blend without using your fingers? thanks

I blend concealers and paintpots with a 224 or a 217. make sure you scoop the product out onto a swatch paper, too.

lyttleravyn

What rafaaa said. No fingers. You should be able to get some qtips and either a tissue/scrap paper or a glass petri dish to put product on. Then dip your brushes in that instead of directly in the product.

thanks guys. I feel so confident on how my demo went today, I really think i did a great job and i didn't use my fingers once! i'll write a more deatiled post about my experience. I hope I got the job! thanks for all the help
th_DANCE.gif

Pink_Ruve

Re: Got hired at MAC! This is my story VERY LONG!!!

Congrats!!! Your story gives me a little more hope!!
I believe we interviewed with the same person. I had my interview this past wednesday. I totally blanked and my nerves got the best of me with alot of the questions. I can't believe that when she asked what my favorite mac products were I simply blurted out eyeshadow like a clueless bimbo. And when I was driving home I was like ummm you LOVE everything from mac!! And recited a list lol. I called back the next day to say thank you but it was through a voicemail. I havent heard from her yet but I guess I'll try again in a couple months.

Thanks so much for the info!

Pink_Ruve

Would this be an appropriate look to wear to my demo?

My demo interview is day after tomorrow. For my first verbal interview I wore a more pinup look with neutrals on the eyes with winged liner and "commitment" pro long wear on the lips. I had done this electric eel look a little while ago just for fun.....but wasn't sure if I should do it for my demo interview.

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f166/m...8/#post1839671

Let me know what you think!