MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

Re: freaking out, my MAC demo is tuesday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosasola1
Do not show ANY fear, insecurity, or doubt. They can smell that... you have to fake it till you make it!
smiles.gif
just act like what you do is the shiz. And! look like the shiz when you walk in there. Heals are a must... makeup wise, do something that demonstrates your eye lining skills and I suggest a true smokey eye, meaning black lid fading upward to either a brown or grey... they look for that skill as well. I hope that helps you! And don't worry yourself out! get sleep, and believe in your abilities. They need You! that's what should be in your mind. Of course humility should also be in there somewhere lol! Good luck! You'll do great!

thanks so much!!!
th_DANCE.gif

LeeleeBell

I am no pro, I just want to wish you good luck...and just say don't do the look you are wearing. Show them your versatility.
thmbup.gif

thanks everyone! and i think i will go with the true smokey eye.
im going to use beauty marked, which will fade into omega, and omega will fade into phloof which will be my highlight under the brow.

and then a light barbie pink lip (colour crafted) with clear gloss so my lips dont looked chapped!

choozen1ne

I think those colors will look great , its a new twist on a smokey eye with the beauty marked and the lips will look great too , what blush ? or do some light contouring ? either way you are going to rock the demo out and get the job

Sushi~Flower

I was just hired by MAC...
So you could say Im fresh off the front lines, lol
smiles.gif
. The best advice I can give you is KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS. From all the primers, to your colors....be prepared to explain why you are using certain products or what could be used instead. In my case I used a Prep n Prime eye and then Paint for my base...the person interviewing asked what other possible products could be used as bases....I answered , " Creme base, Fluid Line, or Shade Sticks..."
I was asked about what I knew about the company....this site came in MAJOR handy for that
winks.gif
There is a section all about MAC history. I was also asked about what my favorite product was and why. No worries about the unknown model....in my interview I was asked to bring in my own model, as soon as I was ready the other girl that was interviewing too walked in and they switched out models ( I was given the heads up on that tactic on here, thank god, so that did not throw me for a loop) We asked to match a foundation and report to the back of the store. When I walked back there was a Huge mirror , 2 stools and a counter filled with a zillion products. The lady handed me a page out of a magazine and told me I had 25 minutes to recreate it.
During the application I talked to the model to get more info about her skin type, ie: if i needed blot powder or which base I was going to use if she had creasing issues. I explained what I was doing and which product I was using. During this time I was asked about MAC, their products, their causes...ect...when I was done she examined my model and then I was taken for a one on one sit down interview. Those were pretty standard Q&A.

As for my look, total black head to high heeled toe. I went very retro glam, Smokey Eye and classic russian red matte lip...

Hope this may have helped in some way....good luck!

L1LMAMAJ

Re: My MAC demo is this afternoon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
My update: I handed in my resume to a counter in Manhattan's Bloomys, and one in Brooklyn's MACYs
When I went to Bloomingdales, I went to the counter on the second floor (there are 2 counters ) because I was on my way to the bathroom to check me makeup , so I asked the girl there, if she was the counter manager. I told her I wanted to hand in my resume, and she said, and I quote "There's no need to hand in your resume, we only hire people who are makeup artists, and no one else."
I then say that I know how to apply makeup, I just don't do it for money. She still insisted I won't get hired, but I still went downstairs. I asked another girl for the manager, and told her what the person upstairs said, she told me not to worry about it and just hand in my resume, so I did.... hopefully they will call me

that's pretty rude of the girl. i hope u get an interview at least!! just because some people aren't makeup artists and do it for a living does not mean that they aren't good at putting on makeup. what ignorant jerks. plus the term makeup artist is so ambiguous. different people have different perceptions of what the phrase means.

MetalAga

Demos-foundation skin matching Q

Hi all,

I was just reading thru all the posts about demos, and I was just wondering how you guys know exactly what shade of foundation and powder to use to match the skin tone perfectly at your demos in the case where you dont know who the model is beforehand.
What are the tips and techniques choosing those products? Also, is there any special way that MAC likes the fprimer/foundation to be applied?

Thanks!

La Dolce Diva

Re: Demos-foundation skin matching Q

This was my biggest concern when I first started a couple of weeks ago. To be honest, after looking at the products for a few days, you will have a general idea as to what colors could work. It's okay to take 2 or 3 shades over for the demo- you don't have to take one over, thinking it will be perfect. It's important to be aware of undertones to get a great match (don't get confused- NC will have a yellow tone and NW will have a pink tone).

As for primer foundations, you should do a moisturizer, primer, and foundation. It's perfectly fine to choose 1 brush to apply all of these products- I love the 190. If you want to mix it up, apply moisturizer/primer with a 190 and apply foundation with a duo fiber, like 187. This will also help you, as it applies foundation very lightly and gives an airbrush-like finish.

I hope this helps! Relax...now that my demo is behind me and I am working, there is not a day that goes by that I don't learn something new and go "Darn! I should have don't that in my demo!" :) Just, relax, be yourself, and have a good time.

MetalAga

thanks for your response
smiles.gif

reading thru the demo expereiences made me very nervous, seemed that everyone knew EXACTLY what to grab; i am familiar with the products, and i use mostly mac, but dont know the every shadow name etc, so thanks for making me feel a little bit better about it
smiles.gif

La Dolce Diva

If if makes you feel any better, I didn't know anything... LOL I even wanted to do a post in the thread listing the colors I used like other people did, but I couldn't even remember! Just relax, and have a good time. As long as you prep the skin well (moisturize, prep, concealer, & foundation), you are home free! Just use a light powder, like Select Sheer or Mineralize Skinfinish Natural, then do a blush, eyes, liner, mascara, and lip (line, lipstick, and gloss). You can do it!

paparazziboy

Mac Demo Do's / Dont's

so what are the do's and dont's for the demo.
i want to apply so bad i have the application filled out im just scared to turn it in lol. i dont know if im really good enough to get the position. i have been doing makeup for about 7 months now mostly on myself.

so i wanna know what i should do and not to do at my demo if i do get one.

i know they give u brushes but if i have my own mac brushes can i use them i have a full brush belt of over 30 brushes they are in a mac brush belt

what do i wear to the demo i know it black but can it have any designs on it

how should do my makeup

i dont wanna look like a drag queen going in

any help would be great

rosasola1

Re: Mac Demo Do's / Dont's

Typically for a male applicant... their makeup look is flawless skin, perfectly groomed brows... contouring... um, a lil gloss, and deff mascara
smiles.gif
They don't let you use your own personal brushes due to not knowing whether they're cleaned properly or not. Dress is professional black, meaning sleek, hot, trend inspired. If there is any print on it, it must be black. Deff look up MAC's sanitizing procedures on here that will be a big help for your demo. I hope that helps!
smiles.gif
and trust me, you being a guy already gives you a head in the race!

Jackie O

Quote:
Typically for a male applicant... their makeup look is flawless skin, perfectly groomed brows... contouring... um, a lil gloss, and deff mascara
smiles.gif
They don't let you use your own personal brushes due to not knowing whether they're cleaned properly or not. Dress is professional black, meaning sleek, hot, trend inspired. If there is any print on it, it must be black. Deff look up MAC's sanitizing procedures on here that will be a big help for your demo. I hope that helps!
smiles.gif
and trust me, you being a guy already gives you a head in the race!

Hi there, I've already had my demo interview and then last week I did my second interview with the district manager. I was told I would definetely hear back from them with a decision within a few days, but if they didn't not to freak out because things have been really busy with them launching the new collection recently and various other things. but it's been about a week now and I'm getting nervous lol However they did give me a really strong and positive feeling that they were impressed by me. Is it considered too pushy if I call them at this point to check on the status, or should I just wait it out? I do want them to know that I am persistant, but I don't want to come across as too impatient you know what I mean?

rosasola1

shoot, after a week! call back for sure... it's not too soon. You'll stay fresh in their minds if you give a call.

Jackie O

Quote:
shoot, after a week! call back for sure... it's not too soon. You'll stay fresh in their minds if you give a call.

ok thanks! I'll call them right now! lol

I had my demo a week ago also. I was told I would hear something this week. The advice I could give is to be you! Try to stay calm...(something I didn't do.) Never disagree when you are being critiqued. It will only help your skills. A girl at my demo was already freelancing and was doing a demo from a picture to get hired on perm. After being critiqued she gave excuses as to why she didn't do what was asked of her. BIG NO NO! Keep your area clean and use tissue or napkins to put all product on. When you are done using a brush, put it on the tissue, not the bare counter. Sanitize everything! Know why you want to work for MAC and some history such as viva glam for MAc aids foundation, cruelty free, and B2M. I got thrown a question that I had no clue as to what the answer was. He asked me if I knew the difference between a free standing counter and an actual MAC store. He said that a freestanding counter was in a location such as Macys, Dillards Saks ect. that people walk into not really going to shop specifically for MAC. This gives you a chance to pull passing customers. An actual MAC store caters only to MAC customers and they always come in looking for a MAC product. It made sense but I have no idea why that question was asked. Try to be ready for anything. My guy gave us about 40 mins to do a day/night look. We stood there waiting for brushes and other things so of course we didnt finish in 40 mins. I feel like I didn't get the job because of time. Oh, and if you know your models foundation shade and skin type thats a plus too. I didn't get time to color match or to ask about skin type. Our models were sent to the back while we picked up product from the sales floor. My model doesn't wear MAC foundation. I had to eye what color I thought she was. Luckily I got it right. Every Demo interview from what I have read is different. Mine was reaalllly different. NOTHING like what I read. So again be prepared for anything. I hope this helped.

Latest posts