MAC Demo Interviews - descriptions & questions

Angels_Decay

I've been hearing that's its been getting harder to get a job with M.A.C since I strated, but it sounds like they tightend up ALOT! When I had my fist interview for an artist position I new very little about the product (comming from a mostly SFX background) and for my call back all I had to do was coppy a look form Kevin Accoins (sp?) making faces book and the women didnt even watch me applly it. But I've defently lerned alot along the way. Had I applyed now knowing what little i new then about M.A.C then I don't know if i would have made it past a first interview. LOL

Congrats to all of you who got your jobs though
choochoo.gif
... your going to be very happy! I LOVE MY JOB!!!!
yahoo.gif

Sabrunka

Okay so I have a few questions, do you NEED to have a portfolio to be hired at MAC?

Can you stand your customer up and bring her with you to the foundations/concealers to match up the colour, or do you bring it to her?

For the petri dish, can you put more than one item in there? Obviously not mixed together lol.. Or do you get a seperate petri dish for each item used?

davidsito987

THANK YOU LADIES---I have my demo tomoro @ 11:30 and am super excited and nervous but do feel a bit better reading everyones experiences!!!..I will post my experience also!! WISH ME LUCK!

darkbeauty27

I posted this in another thread but I'll post my experience here too:

Okay, I had my demo this morning.
smiles.gif
I took my mom as my model. I was only at the MAC store for about an hour and a half which wasn't too bad. It was still pretty early in the day so there weren't a lot of customers there. I had 30 minutes to do a Day Look and 15 minutes to turn that look into a Night Look. The girl who watched over my Demo was SUPER nice and made me feel comfortable. She wasn't hovering over me while I was doing the Demo so that was good! I felt like the Day Look that I did was just okay. I think I was really nervous about getting done in time and I don't think the look ended up reflecting my skills as much as it could have if I'd had more time. I also used a shadestick as a base on my mom's lids and didn't realize her lids were so oily! So when it came time to apply her eyeliner (Powerpoint in Engraved), after I applied it some of it got on her crease area and I had to blend like crazy to make the black smudgies disappear! I think I did much better when I did the Night Look. The colors I used looked great with my mom's coloring.

I had full access to all of the makeup and skincare products but I wasn't able to use all of the brushes that I thought I was going to be able to. I had to kind of make-do with the ones that were available. For example, the 219 wasn't there and I was all set to be able to use it. I had to borrow the 187 from one of the artists there. I tried to be as sanitary as possible and clean up after myself. A petri dish was available to use for foundation and moisturizer. Mascara wands, disposable lipbrushes, kleenex, and sanitizing alcohol were all available at my workstation.

I had already had my interview with the counter manager of the department store I would be working for and with the Regional Manager prior to my Demo. My Demo was the 3rd interview.

YSLGuy

For those who did demos already...did they supply you with brushes or did you bring your own.

I have my own but they are mixture of different brands...and none of them are MAC sadly.

glamdoll

^ you know, they told me to not bring mine cus they were gonna supply them. Then it turns out we should have, and we had to "fight" for brushes. well not really but it was limited brushes and I used 2 eye brushes and 2 face ones. Gotta work with what I had. Take your own just in case
smiles.gif

YSLGuy

*update*

I was told not to bring any and they supplied me with a whole brush roll of brushes to wear/use

Ksayare

My MAC demo is this afternoon!!

I am sooooooooo excited!!
I took my model to the mac counter last night and did her makeup as practice. This was amazingly helpful! Not only bc i'd never done her makeup before (and now i know what foundation color to use today w/o having to match her), but also bc the girls at the counter were great and gave me all sorts of helpful hints! Knowing their tips, as well as the ones i read on here, makes me really confident about today!
smiles.gif

Other's people's experiences helped me so much, so i figured i would share mine on here as well.
I sent in my resume into MAC 2 weeks ago and was invited to their open casting call thing. I had my first interview yesterday and made it through and am going back today for my demo.
When i get home from the demo today i will post my experiences from the past two days.
smiles.gif
smiles.gif
smiles.gif

Boasorte

Re: My MAC demo is this afternoon!!

Congrats, and good luck!
Yes, posting your experience can help other MAC hopefuls like me, I'm on my way to hand in my resume to a MAC counter now, so good luck to both me and you! <3

Ksayare

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Congrats, and good luck!
Yes, posting your experience can help other MAC hopefuls like me, I'm on my way to hand in my resume to a MAC counter now, so good luck to both me and you! <3

Yahh!!! Good luck!
oh, and i TOTALLY agree with you about bubble wrap!

MarsG

All the best to the both of you! Really cool that you are applying for jobs at MAC. Sincerely hope you both get it!!

Boasorte

My update: I handed in my resume to a counter in Manhattan's Bloomys, and one in Brooklyn's MACYs
When I went to Bloomingdales, I went to the counter on the second floor (there are 2 counters ) because I was on my way to the bathroom to check me makeup , so I asked the girl there, if she was the counter manager. I told her I wanted to hand in my resume, and she said, and I quote "There's no need to hand in your resume, we only hire people who are makeup artists, and no one else."
I then say that I know how to apply makeup, I just don't do it for money. She still insisted I won't get hired, but I still went downstairs. I asked another girl for the manager, and told her what the person upstairs said, she told me not to worry about it and just hand in my resume, so I did.... hopefully they will call me

freaking out, my MAC demo is tuesday...

and theyre providing the model
shockt.gif

so i have no idea what im going to be working with. all i know is that there is going to be more people trying out and doing demos at the same time as me.
so i HAVE to stand out.

anyone been through this? and have any advice?
th_confused_new.gif

and someone help me!!! idk how to do my makeup!! it has to look super good
shockt.gif

helppppppppppppppp
ssad.gif
i really want and need this job.

EDIT
i know HOW to do makeup very well. i just dont know what look i should do for tomorrow eeek!

rosasola1

Re: freaking out, my MAC demo is tuesday...

Do not show ANY fear, insecurity, or doubt. They can smell that... you have to fake it till you make it!
smiles.gif
just act like what you do is the shiz. And! look like the shiz when you walk in there. Heals are a must... makeup wise, do something that demonstrates your eye lining skills and I suggest a true smokey eye, meaning black lid fading upward to either a brown or grey... they look for that skill as well. I hope that helps you! And don't worry yourself out! get sleep, and believe in your abilities. They need You! that's what should be in your mind. Of course humility should also be in there somewhere lol! Good luck! You'll do great!

jacquelinda

so let me get this right, you want a job at MAC and you dont know how to do your own make up?

rosasola1

I had to re-read it also haha, if you read it again, she's expressing what look to go for makeup wise

Latest posts