MAC Early Buzz - News on Products for 2013

MRV

I read baklava LOL.
lol.gif
icon_eek.gif
I wanted baklavas, too...

katred

Specktra Bestie
MAc should bring Prince Noir back. its my favorite dark lipstick!
Yes please!!!! This vampy lip addict needs another fix!

As far as an eye shadow base... Am I the only one who's had better luck with Paint Pots than "real" shadow bases? I love painterly for evening/ neutralising colour and acting as a base. Nars is lovely, but doesn't do anything to even colour. UD Primer Potion creased on me before I finished applying it.

Corally

MAc should bring Prince Noir back. its my favorite dark lipstick! 
Yes please!!!! This vampy lip addict needs another fix! As far as an eye shadow base... Am I the only one who's had better luck with Paint Pots than "real" shadow bases? I love painterly for evening/ neutralising colour and acting as a base. Nars is lovely, but doesn't do anything to even colour. UD Primer Potion creased on me before I finished applying it.
For me painterly = hell. Even with primer under the pp and eyeshadow on the pp it creases like a mofo. I want Groundwork but I think it's gonna be the exact same thing. The shimmery pp's are great as bases!

Michelemu21

Yes please!!!! This vampy lip addict needs another fix!
As far as an eye shadow base... Am I the only one who's had better luck with Paint Pots than "real" shadow bases? I love painterly for evening/ neutralising colour and acting as a base. Nars is lovely, but doesn't do anything to even colour. UD Primer Potion creased on me before I finished applying it.
The Edward Bess one is nice but more $$ and they don't sell it in Sephora only online.

lilinah

I've got a recipe for an absolutely amazingly delicious baklava. It can be halved or quartered. NO cheating on the nuts, though - use all the specified varieties, unless you're allergic.

[h=3]Baqlawa min Semsem wa Fistuk
Baklava with Sesame Seeds and Pistachios
[/h] Makes 50 medium or 100 small pieces

Modern, Syrian-Lebanese, adapted from:
page 16
Patisserie of the Eastern Mediterranean
by Arto Der Haroutunian
McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1989
ISBN 0-07-026665-4

MAKE SYRUP:
3-1/2 c. sugar
3 cups water
juice of 3 lemons
2 Tb. rose water
2 Tb. orange flower water​
ASSEMBLE BAQLAWA:
small amount of butter to grease pans
2 lb. phyllo
3 Tb. butter
2/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup raisins, soaked about 15 min. in warm water
3 cups coarsely chopped nuts​
about 1/2 lb. each almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts
1 tsp. powdered cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
2 cups melted butter
2 cups shelled pistachio nutmeats, chopped​
SYRUP:

1. Put sugar in water with lemon juice on medium fire. Raise heat and bring to boil, stirring.
  2. Lower heat and simmer 10 min, until it coats the spoon.
  3. Remove from heat, stir in flower waters, and let cool.

BAQLAWA:

1. Preheat oven to 350°Fahrenheit.
  2. Grease two 12 X 8 X 2 pans with a little butter.
  3. Place phyllo sheets on a large plate, open them out halfway, cover top with waxed paper, then a damp towel.
  4. In 3 Tb. butter, fry sesame seeds until golden, stirring constantly.
  5. Remove sesame seeds from heat and stir in raisins, chopped mixed nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  6. Put one sheet of phyllo in pan, cut in half.
  7. With a wide pastry brush, spread with about 1 tsp. butter. Continue adding half sheets, buttering every second sheet, until there are 6 to 8 half sheets stacked in the pan.
  8. Scatter half of nut-raisin mixture evenly over the pastry.
  9. Repeat with another 6-8 sheets of phyllo and butter, then sprinkle with the remaining nuts-and-raisins.
  10. Top with another 6-8 sheets of phyllo, buttering every second sheet. Butter top. Pour any remaining butter over all.
  11. Carefully cut into pieces (about 1-3/4" for small) without crushing. Be sure to cut through to the bottom of the pan.
  12. Sprinkle all over with chopped pistachios
  13. Bake at 350°Fahrenheit for 30 min.
  14. Lower heat to 300 and bake an additional hour - check occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn.
  15. Remove from oven and let cool about 15 min.
  16. Pour cold syrup evenly over all.
  17. Let cool completely.
  18. Loosen all pieces with a sharp knife, and transfer very carefully on serving dishes.

You will have to lift up your balaclavas to eat it...

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Ya'll are killing me with the baklava. I'm dieting!
sigh.gif

Can't wait for news on the fall collections. I really hope they'll be easy on my wallet this year.

iATEaSEAmonster

Ya'll are killing me with the baklava. I'm dieting!
sigh.gif

Can't wait for news on the fall collections. I really hope they'll be easy on my wallet this year.
I'm really holding out on a deep red and some nice plums for lipstick. I would love if they had a lipglass that was brown with green or blue shimmer.
I'd also really like a collection with a lot of gold accents, such as the fluidline we know that's coming out.

Latest posts