MAC - Haute & Naughty Lash Discussion

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBasset
I don't buy drugstore mascaras (or other makeup) for the same reason Pinkdollface doesn't - nearly every brand tests on animals. Only Barry M is cruelty free (from the cheaper brands that I know of), you can get it from Superdrug/Boots in UK.

The Body Shop is now indeed part of L'Oreal, which is _the_ evil brand (that includes Biotherm, Lancome, Helena Rubinstein etc.) and the money goes straight to them. I have boycotted TBS ever since they sold themselves, that was one nasty move they did!

Also Dior, Maybelline, Rimmel, Cover Girl, Make Up Store, Shu Uemura, Shisheido (--> Nars!), Make Up Forever, YSL, Guerlain, Elizabeth Arden, Sally Hansen etc. test on animals.

Here are brands that don't, so thumbs up for them: Mac, Too Faced, Urban Decay, Clarins, Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Barry M, Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful (LUSH), Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, Couleur Caramel etc (phew, I must forget some awesome brands but go to Peta caring consumer, you get the whole list there who tests and who doesn't!). So there are many many brands to choose from.
thmbup.gif

I hope everyone could do a little something for the animals, we sure owe it to them!
love.gif

Ugggggh! That sucks that Make Up Forever tests on animals! I was looking forward to trying some of their stuff, but oh well. The well being of all the little furry creatures is more important to me than having #92. That is also why I didn't buy NARS in the past- b/c I knew it was tested on animals. Which, kind of confuses me. Every time I see the creator or founder in a picture, his dog is always with him....
girl_devil.gif

As long as I have Urban Decay and MAC, I think I will live. They are my favorites anyway and they are cruelty free. Ye-yah!
th_DANCE.gif

I will do anything for the animals- I am vegan.
yes.gif

Pinkdollface

Quote:
I don't buy drugstore mascaras (or other makeup) for the same reason Pinkdollface doesn't - nearly every brand tests on animals. Only Barry M is cruelty free (from the cheaper brands that I know of), you can get it from Superdrug/Boots in UK.

The Body Shop is now indeed part of L'Oreal, which is _the_ evil brand (that includes Biotherm, Lancome, Helena Rubinstein etc.) and the money goes straight to them. I have boycotted TBS ever since they sold themselves, that was one nasty move they did!

Also Dior, Maybelline, Rimmel, Cover Girl, Make Up Store, Shu Uemura, Shisheido (--> Nars!), Make Up Forever, YSL, Guerlain, Elizabeth Arden, Sally Hansen etc. test on animals.

Here are brands that don't, so thumbs up for them: Mac, Too Faced, Urban Decay, Clarins, Chanel, Bobbi Brown, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Barry M, Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful (LUSH), Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, Couleur Caramel etc (phew, I must forget some awesome brands but go to Peta caring consumer, you get the whole list there who tests and who doesn't!). So there are many many brands to choose from.
thmbup.gif

I hope everyone could do a little something for the animals, we sure owe it to them!
love.gif

O no, i have one shadow and one eyeliner from make up forever
ssad.gif
I can't believe they test on animals. What do you do when you have something and you find out it is tested on animals? Do you throw it away or keep using it till it is gone?

PinkBasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylalovesmac
Ugggggh! That sucks that Make Up Forever tests on animals! I was looking forward to trying some of their stuff, but oh well. The well being of all the little furry creatures is more important to me than having #92. That is also why I didn't buy NARS in the past- b/c I knew it was tested on animals. Which, kind of confuses me. Every time I see the creator or founder in a picture, his dog is always with him....
girl_devil.gif

As long as I have Urban Decay and MAC, I think I will live. They are my favorites anyway and they are cruelty free. Ye-yah!
th_DANCE.gif

I will do anything for the animals- I am vegan.
yes.gif

I have high hopes for the new Dare to Wear collection that we could find a substitute for mufe #92!
th_wink3.gif
I'm still pissed to Mufe for not responding me when I wrote and asked them about their animal testing policy and why they are not on any don't test-lists that are available...

You are vegan? Hell yeah, so am I!!!
drinks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkdollface
O no, i have one shadow and one eyeliner from make up forever
ssad.gif
I can't believe they test on animals. What do you do when you have something and you find out it is tested on animals? Do you throw it away or keep using it till it is gone?

I have stuff that I've bought from mufe, helena rubinstein, dior etc. before I started to care. They bother me sometimes and mostly I have given them away, but I don't think it's wrong to use them up once you have them (I've kept some of the unique ones). The important thing is not to buy them again and not recommend them to others.
yes.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
I have high hopes for the new Dare to Wear collection that we could find a substitute for mufe #92!
th_wink3.gif
I'm still pissed to Mufe for not responding me when I wrote and asked them about their animal testing policy and why they are not on any don't test-lists that are available...

drinks.gif

Yes- Shock a Holic looks promising.... I was actually really surprised when I found out they test on animals. I wouldn't have thought of them like that....

Yay! Vegan power!
dothewave.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
I also like the original MAC mascara that is scented with roses, I believe it is now called Mascara X. A good basic mascara.

ah, i
heart.gif
my mascara x. its the only one i use!

Pinkdollface

Quote:
th_wink3.gif

drinks.gif

I have stuff that I've bought from mufe, helena rubinstein, dior etc. before I started to care. They bother me sometimes and mostly I have given them away, but I don't think it's wrong to use them up once you have them (I've kept some of the unique ones). The important thing is not to buy them again and not recommend them to others.
yes.gif

I feel better now using them and i'm not going to buy anything else from mufe and dior.
I'm wondering how you guys do that, being a vegan. I'm a vegetarian and i don't have problems with that, but being a vegan must be hard.

laylalovesmac

Quote:
I feel better now using them and i'm not going to buy anything else from mufe and dior.
I'm wondering how you guys do that, being a vegan. I'm a vegetarian and i don't have problems with that, but being a vegan must be hard.

Yeah- going vegetarian wasn't hard. I didn't like how meat tasted anyway, and when I saw the Paul McCartney youtube video, I knew I had made the right decision.

When I went vegan, I was always somewhat lactose intolerant. I love cheese, ice cream, etc., and I would always eat more than I should have and it would give me a stomach ache and sometimes I would get a few hives. So, when I went vegetarian, I was just like why not? So, I went vegan.

Day to day, it's not that hard for me. There have been a few times where I didn't read the label close enough or ate something at a restaurant that had a non-vegan ingredient, but honestly, my taste buds just changed and now, I crave salad the way I used to crave ice cream. I enjoy the food I eat just as much as I did when I was an omnivore.
th_dunno.gif

PinkBasset

Quote:

Being vegan in todays world is simple and extremely easy! We have so many options - fake cheese, fake meats of all sorts, soy/oat/almond etc. milks and yogurts and ice creams. There are many many restaurants that are vegan, vegan leather shoes and purses.... The list would go on and on. I haven't had a single problem being a vegan ever.
yes.gif

Not to be totally off topic, I don't know about this mascara - I'm always curious about new mascaras but usually Mac doesn't deliver it for me with their mascaras.
th_dunno.gif

Pinkdollface

Quote:
Yeah- going vegetarian wasn't hard. I didn't like how meat tasted anyway, and when I saw the Paul McCartney youtube video, I knew I had made the right decision.

When I went vegan, I was always somewhat lactose intolerant. I love cheese, ice cream, etc., and I would always eat more than I should have and it would give me a stomach ache and sometimes I would get a few hives. So, when I went vegetarian, I was just like why not? So, I went vegan.

Day to day, it's not that hard for me. There have been a few times where I didn't read the label close enough or ate something at a restaurant that had a non-vegan ingredient, but honestly, my taste buds just changed and now, I crave salad the way I used to crave ice cream. I enjoy the food I eat just as much as I did when I was an omnivore.
th_dunno.gif

I also don't like the taste of meat and factory farming.

Quote:
Being vegan in todays world is simple and extremely easy! We have so many options - fake cheese, fake meats of all sorts, soy/oat/almond etc. milks and yogurts and ice creams. There are many many restaurants that are vegan, vegan leather shoes and purses.... The list would go on and on. I haven't had a single problem being a vegan ever.
yes.gif

Not to be totally off topic, I don't know about this mascara - I'm always curious about new mascaras but usually Mac doesn't deliver it for me with their mascaras.
th_dunno.gif

I think it will be difficult. One time i was in a restaurant and asked if the tomato soup was without meat and she said no. Then i asked for union soup. When i got the union soup i saw there was meat in it. How stupid can someone be. I don't want meat in my tomato soup, but in union soup for sure
smash.gif
. So sometimes people don't understand vegetarian and vegan will be even harder.

On to the mascara. The packaging is not pretty. Why not normal black? I have Plush lash mascara and really like that one. Never tried another mac mascara, but i will do in the future.

PinkBasset

Quote:
I think it will be difficult. One time i was in a restaurant and asked if the tomato soup was without meat and she said no. Then i asked for union soup. When i got the union soup i saw there was meat in it. How stupid can someone be. I don't want meat in my tomato soup, but in union soup for sure
smash.gif
. So sometimes people don't understand vegetarian and vegan will be even harder.

Take a look at the Vegetarian Restaurants Guide and Directory of Natural Health Food Stores by HappyCow, there you can find vegetarian and vegan restaurants, healthstores that carry vegetarian/vegan food etc. They list places all around the world, just do a search that is convenient for you!
yes.gif

Pinkdollface

Quote:
Take a look at the Vegetarian Restaurants Guide and Directory of Natural Health Food Stores by HappyCow, there you can find vegetarian and vegan restaurants, healthstores that carry vegetarian/vegan food etc. They list places all around the world, just do a search that is convenient for you!
yes.gif

I have seen vegatarian restaurants where i live, but they are not listed. I always call a restaurant before i go to make sure they have something vegatarian. Most of the time it is no problem
smiles.gif

EDIT: The site has cool translations. I'm going to china and i can find there how to say i'm vegetarian
tong.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
yes.gif

Yeah- I have a vegan restaurant where I live that has only vegan food- nothing else. It sounds a lot harder than it is, I think. I thought it would be this horrible, awful thing where I couldn't find anything to eat anywhere. The one time I couldn't find much was at a steak house when some family was in town. I had to order a completely plain sweet potato- by the end, I felt sick.
th_LMAO.gif

About the mascara, I liked the tube at first, but in the real pics, the colors look kind of cheap.
th_dunno.gif

PinkBasset

Quote:
Yeah- I have a vegan restaurant where I live that has only vegan food- nothing else. It sounds a lot harder than it is, I think. I thought it would be this horrible, awful thing where I couldn't find anything to eat anywhere. The one time I couldn't find much was at a steak house when some family was in town. I had to order a completely plain sweet potato- by the end, I felt sick.
th_LMAO.gif

About the mascara, I liked the tube at first, but in the real pics, the colors look kind of cheap.
th_dunno.gif

I think it's very unthoughtful to go to eat somewhere like that, when you know there's someone in the group who cannot find anything proper to eat in that particular place. There's always, usually plenty of, alternative places where vegan can eat too, taking a vegan to a steak house is rude and shocking to me!
shockt.gif
I hope they treat you better now!

laylalovesmac

Quote:
I think it's very unthoughtful to go to eat somewhere like that, when you know there's someone in the group who cannot find anything proper to eat in that particular place. There's always, usually plenty of, alternative places where vegan can eat too, taking a vegan to a steak house is rude and shocking to me!
shockt.gif

Well, it was my dad's side of the family (my grandparents, actually) who are very conservative and think of my veganism as a fad diet or something.... Just a generation thing, I guess. My parents are both cool with it, and even my grandmother on my mom's side thinks it's awesome, but they just don't understand.
tong.gif

monter

Quote:
shockt.gif

Could always just get a plain salad, though, even at a steak house. Or, to prevent any cross contamination (because most restaurants that serve vegan and also happen to serve non-vegan options don't think twice about reusing surfaces or plates or utensils in preparing food that might have touched some non-vegan ingredients - like cheese or honey or processed sugar), you could always prepare food ahead of time and bring it with; that's what my boyfriend's sister does.

My sister is vegetarian, and my boyfriend's sister is raw foodist, and while I respect what they do, I don't think it's fair to expect me to go somewhere where I'm forced to eat vegan just because they've made the choice to go vegan themselves. I've tried almost every meat substitute there is, and it usually makes me sick.
ssad.gif
At almost every restaurant you can order a salad, but if I go to a vegan restaurant, I have to order something with meat subsitute or dairy substitute (or a salad - and I'm not still omnivore so I can go out and order a salad!
tong.gif
), neither of which sit well with me.

I do agree that going to a steakhouse with a vegan is a little out of line, though!
tong.gif
winks.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monter
Could always just get a plain salad, though, even at a steak house. Or, to prevent any cross contamination (because most restaurants that serve vegan and also happen to serve non-vegan options don't think twice about reusing surfaces or plates or utensils in preparing food that might have touched some non-vegan ingredients - like cheese or honey or processed sugar), you could always prepare food ahead of time and bring it with; that's what my boyfriend's sister does.

My sister is vegetarian, and my boyfriend's sister is raw foodist, and while I respect what they do, I don't think it's fair to expect me to go somewhere where I'm forced to eat vegan just because they've made the choice to go vegan themselves. I've tried almost every meat substitute there is, and it usually makes me sick.
ssad.gif
At almost every restaurant you can order a salad, but if I go to a vegan restaurant, I have to order something with meat subsitute or dairy substitute (or a salad - and I'm not still omnivore so I can go out and order a salad!
tong.gif
), neither of which sit well with me.

I do agree that going to a steakhouse with a vegan is a little out of line, though!
tong.gif
winks.gif

Good point- I could have gotten a salad. The only thing is I am still not a huge fan of plain lettuce, and they only had Ranch and Blue Cheese dressing
ssad.gif
But, I would never force them to go to a place that only had vegan food. I am the one making the choice so I have to adapt.
yes.gif

monter

Quote:
Good point- I could have gotten a salad. The only thing is I am still not a huge fan of plain lettuce, and they only had Ranch and Blue Cheese dressing
ssad.gif
But, I would never force them to go to a place that only had vegan food. I am the one making the choice so I have to adapt.
yes.gif

That's what I was trying to say!
yes.gif
Just couldn't articulate it.
tong.gif

Sometimes I wish I could go vegan (or at least vegetarian!), but I'm already anemic when I eat red meat a couple times a week. I don't know if my hamster-fast metabolism could handle just grains and fruits and veggies - I think I'd have to be eating constantly.
shockt.gif

laylalovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monter
That's what I was trying to say!
yes.gif
Just couldn't articulate it.
tong.gif

Sometimes I wish I could go vegan (or at least vegetarian!), but I'm already anemic when I eat red meat a couple times a week. I don't know if my hamster-fast metabolism could handle just grains and fruits and veggies - I think I'd have to be eating constantly.
shockt.gif

Yeah, if you're anemic, I wouldn't mess. My mom had the same issue when she tried to go vegetarian.

blusherie

There are some pics of this mascara on Karlasugar today! The packaging doesn't seem to be as tacky in photos as it is in the promo pictures....

Pinkdollface

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusherie
There are some pics of this mascara on Karlasugar today! The packaging doesn't seem to be as tacky in photos as it is in the promo pictures....

It does look better and i like that you can chose how much mascara you get on the brush
smiles.gif