MAC - MAC Me Over Discussion

mac_aiken

Picked up my small haul yesterday.

Seaside was a bit browner than I thought it would be but still a lovely color. The formulation appears to be more like the Lillyland creme blushes (think JDV) now. I like it.

Stunner, Prince Noir and Runway Red were all as wonderful as I had hoped.

I also got the Evil Eye quad. I am not sure why it isn't getting more love. I had no problem when I swatched the tester at the store with the 226. As someone posted earlier (perhaps MAC Guy) I don't think these shadows were meant to be very opaque. As dark as they are I think they would be unwearable for most if they were very opaque. Let's not forget this collection showcases MAC being wearable for everyone. I would be curious to try these with the dual eye brush from SP.

Fortunately, for me, the rest of the collection did not call my name. The only other item I "might" be interested in is Equilibrium but I am concerned with how it will look on skin as fair as mine (NW15). I don't wear bronzers and like the pale look so I am not sure if this will work for me.

peachsuns

I've bent the bristles of my brush before and it was fine after I washed it. Just reshape it and as an extra measure, tear off a small piece of paper towel and wrap it around the bristles and lay the brush flat while it dries.
Great idea, shontay. I actually do that all the time to my face brushes. This keeps my brushes look and feel brand new.
iagree.gif

Mac-Guy

Picked up my small haul yesterday.

Seaside was a bit browner than I thought it would be but still a lovely color. The formulation appears to be more like the Lillyland creme blushes (think JDV) now. I like it.

Stunner, Prince Noir and Runway Red were all as wonderful as I had hoped.

I also got the Evil Eye quad. I am not sure why it isn't getting more love. I had no problem when I swatched the tester at the store with the 226. As someone posted earlier (perhaps MAC Guy) I don't think these shadows were meant to be very opaque. As dark as they are I think they would be unwearable for most if they were very opaque. Let's not forget this collection showcases MAC being wearable for everyone. I would be curious to try these with the dual eye brush from SP.

Fortunately, for me, the rest of the collection did not call my name. The only other item I "might" be interested in is Equilibrium but I am concerned with how it will look on skin as fair as mine (NW15). I don't wear bronzers and like the pale look so I am not sure if this will work for me.

I'm glad to hear that Evil Eye is getting some love. I totally agree with you: if the e/s were opaque, they would be rather harsh and most people would not want to wear e/s dark like this. However, if you prefer a darker look, a dark base will do a great deal on getting a darker look without compromising the lovely colors of the Evil Eye. The quad will complement all the purple, vampy l/s that are part of this collection. It's definitely worth a look.

mac_aiken

MAC Guy, any thoughts on Equilibrium for NW15?

I'm glad to hear that Evil Eye is getting some love. I totally agree with you: if the e/s were opaque, they would be rather harsh and most people would not want to wear e/s dark like this. However, if you prefer a darker look, a dark base will do a great deal on getting a darker look without compromising the lovely colors of the Evil Eye. The quad will complement all the purple, vampy l/s that are part of this collection. It's definitely worth a look.

Mac-Guy

I'm NW20 (15 in the winter) and it's a great shade for NW as the brown-bronze base has enough red without pulling any orange. It's nicely pigmented, but not overly pigmented so it's easy to work with. If you like the color range of the single e/s, it goes very well with all those shades to create a Fall look that looks rather natural. Do you have a chance to test it out for yourself? I find Equilibrium more unique than Stunner, just based on the fact that there are not too many brown-red blushes, but tons of shades that come close enough to Stunner. Now, if you really need it.... well, it's up to your addiction, storage space, and ultimately your wallet. A deciding factor for me was that there probably won't be many more Fall colors this year, so this was most likely the only chance to get a new MAC blush that resembles the New England Fall foilage.

peachsuns

I haven't had to really layer stunner at all. I am quite pale, though. I use the 116 to tap it on to my cheek, and then blend it out.

Interesting pics of the 2009 vs 2011 versions of the 226. I don't have the 2009 version. I am really happy with the ones I got though. They're definitely not pointy, but they're not round, either. They're not as fluffy as the 224, a bit more densely packed. It fits into my crease perfectly. I'd say that mine are in between the two brushes in the photo.

I looked at Temptalia's post of the original 226, and it didn't look very pointy there.

Stunner shows up well on me, too. =)

I just noticed Christine's review was from 2009, and yet, her 226 doesn't look much pointy. So, it really depends?

MACcrazy

Totally agree with you guys on the Evil Eye Quad. I just got it from MAC and with all the negativity towards it I originally was gonna skip it but my usual MUA guy was there and had me watch him do this gorgeous look on this one girl with it and WOW! I grabbed that, 226, Runway Red, Cakeshop, Heirloom, and Tundra and love them all to death. Yeah, if the color was opaque, i think that it would scare most people away because again, its a quad, as in the colors should be workable together. I'm gonna head back and grab Smoked Purple and Prince Noir later since they were busy.

Prettypackages

I went to MAC last night and picked out a denser pointer 226, there is definitely a difference and I will probably keep both. soon as my camera is charged i will post the pics.

aradhana

hmmm....i'm nc45, and i found that stunner was pigmented enough to show up....it's subtle of course but it definitely shows up!
i can't really remember which brush i used!

Icecaramellatte

Quote:
Totally agree with you guys on the Evil Eye Quad. I just got it from MAC and with all the negativity towards it I originally was gonna skip it but my usual MUA guy was there and had me watch him do this gorgeous look on this one girl with it and WOW! I grabbed that, 226, Runway Red, Cakeshop, Heirloom, and Tundra and love them all to death. Yeah, if the color was opaque, i think that it would scare most people away because again, its a quad, as in the colors should be workable together. I'm gonna head back and grab Smoked Purple and Prince Noir later since they were busy.

Do you happen to remember the look the MA did with the quad? I wasn't that bothered that the quad was sheer because I pretty much shy away from dark colors and I figured sheer might make them more wearable but I wondered how they worked together. I was hoping to hear reviews/looks posted but it seems that most people don't like this quad. The MA at my store looked like she was wearing the dark grey/black color on the lid and not much else. It looked nice paired with Prince Noir - well on her anyway.

MACcrazy

Quote:

Do you happen to remember the look the MA did with the quad? I wasn't that bothered that the quad was sheer because I pretty much shy away from dark colors and I figured sheer might make them more wearable but I wondered how they worked together. I was hoping to hear reviews/looks posted but it seems that most people don't like this quad. The MA at my store looked like she was wearing the dark grey/black color on the lid and not much else. It looked nice paired with Prince Noir - well on her anyway.
sure :) it was heirloom s/s as a base, palace pedigreed all over the eye lid, spell caster in the crease and pulled out just a smidge (and he used this cream I can't remember that helped with cleanup since he dragged it out but used that on a sponge applicator to make it a sharp but still wearable cat like eye point that just stuck out a little but) He blended them a little then (this was not in quad but I already had this so it worked for me) vexed just on the center patted on lightly to give a good glow. he then took Moody and lightly applied it to the bottom lashline and used a black pencil on the waterline (this was an example to make it work for night more so) The rest of the face was neutral, just a natural blush (can't remember the name, but it was sheer and seemed easily dupeable) and secret lover l/s on the lips. Just toped it off with mascara, and she looked so pretty, really opened her eyes and palace pedigreed really made her green eyes pop!

MACcrazy

It may sound dark, but with the highlight of the brow bone and the nice light color tapped on to the dark palace pedigreed, you wouldn't see the darkness too much, it actually made her face seem brightend up and more vibrant. Hope this helped.

Mac-Guy

sure :) it was heirloom s/s as a base, palace pedigreed all over the eye lid, spell caster in the crease and pulled out just a smidge (and he used this cream I can't remember that helped with cleanup since he dragged it out but used that on a sponge applicator to make it a sharp but still wearable cat like eye point that just stuck out a little but) He blended them a little then (this was not in quad but I already had this so it worked for me) vexed just on the center patted on lightly to give a good glow. he then took Moody and lightly applied it to the bottom lashline and used a black pencil on the waterline (this was an example to make it work for night more so) The rest of the face was neutral, just a natural blush (can't remember the name, but it was sheer and seemed easily dupeable) and secret lover l/s on the lips. Just toped it off with mascara, and she looked so pretty, really opened her eyes and palace pedigreed really made her green eyes pop!
I think so too. For green and hazel eyes in particular, this is a great quad.

shontay07108

I'm trying to resist the urge to order Mythical. I keep telling myself it's just like Coppering, which I only used once after being horrified. I know it's not true, though.

Kimmy13

I was finally able to track down the 226.
Tho one one the top is from the colour craft collection and the one on the bottom is the one I got today. Its not as tapered but I still like it.

redlily

Yikes, whatta difference. I ordered two so they may be the same or different from each other...I don't recall MAC brushes coming out this screwy..

Prettypackages

I had the same reactions to take root and lady grey
what do you wear with satin taupe? I had to go into mac pro one day and get help. lOL
While I was there, the store manager told me I should be receiving an invite for a Sept event showcasing 4 collections. He gave me his card and said to call if I don't receive the invite. I think he said I should get it by the 10th? Well, I'll just call anyway because I need to get in there and see everything. Two of those collections are Matchmaster and Fall Color. Don't recall the other two.