MAC Pressed Pigment Collection Discussion (December 2012)

BuickMackane

I am so in love with my PPs
love.gif

I cannot even choose a favorite...they are all so pretty!

But if I had to choose some faves I' d say Jet Couture,Smoky,Amethyst and Angelic.

I was never really interested in this collection. Then I saw this pic!

They look so pretty together
fluffy.gif

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by OctoberViolet
You know what? I received my Amethyst PP yesterday and it looks quite pink not purple like your picture below MACina. I'm thinking they mislabeled my Amethyst and gave me Sweet Acting instead. GRRRRRRR.
angry.gif
I mean it's still pretty and I'm wearing it today, but I wanted f'ing purple!!
finger.gif
finger.gif
finger.gif
u MAC!

While mislabeling is certainly possible, Amethyst is really quite a light lilac color - lighter than it appears in the photo, as lovely as that photo is. I got a mislabeled Maybelline Color Tattoo. I bought it by its actual color and didn't realized it was mislabeled until i got home and was inventorying my Color Tattoo haul.

I have both Amethyst and Sweet Acting and they are both lovely but pale and quite different colors. (and Smoky, which isn't pale)

I hope you get your problem resolved soon! and you can enjoy your Pressed Pigment!

Paisly

I wonder why these received such poor reviews? I'm still thinking about getting the purple one for mardi gras! The more the fallout the better haha

Anitacska

Here's my picture of the pressed pigments, Sweet Acting is definitely pink (top left), Amethyst is light pinky purple (second from left in the bottom row). Maybe this will help determine which one you have.

You know what? I received my Amethyst PP yesterday and it looks quite pink not purple like your picture below MACina. I'm thinking they mislabeled my Amethyst and gave me Sweet Acting instead. GRRRRRRR.
angry.gif
I mean it's still pretty and I'm wearing it today, but I wanted f'ing purple!!
finger.gif
finger.gif
finger.gif
u MAC!

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Paisly
I wonder why these received such poor reviews? I'm still thinking about getting the purple one for mardi gras! The more the fallout the better haha

Well, people often have expectations, and when a product - which may behave as designed - does not meet [perhaps unrealistic] expectations, people will be disappointed. And if they spent what to them is a lot of money, perhaps angry, too - and these Pressed Pigments are not cheap.

In actuality, these Pressed Pigments are, for the most part, not intensely colored. So people say they do not give good color payoff. But if, as it seems, they are actually meant to be light, or sheer, or give a glaze of color, then they are behaving as intended, although perhaps not as expected by purchasers (as opposed to some of the e/s quads which do like a bit weak and dusty).

These are, however, truly glitter bombs, which many people rightly note. However, this can be dealt with easily enough - use a somewhat tacky eyeshadow base, such as Too Faced Glitter Glue, and they work fine with little to no fallout.

I previously posted my experience using TF GG under PP - no fallout and lasting color for over 15 hours.

Another thing, because they are somewhat sheer, i think they can be used elsewhere besides the eyelids. I haven't played with them that way yet - i'm all bundled up in layers of bulky sweaters - but when things warm up a bit, i think i'll try the Amethyst on my cheeks, and for performances, i could brush some of it or the pink Sweet Acting on my collar bones... And i think i may go back for Warming Heart or perhaps Day Gleam as a body shimmer.

martiangurll

Well, people often have expectations, and when a product - which may behave as designed - does not meet [perhaps unrealistic] expectations, people will be disappointed. And if they spent what to them is a lot of money, perhaps angry, too - and these Pressed Pigments are not cheap.

In actuality, these Pressed Pigments are, for the most part, not intensely colored. So people say they do not give good color payoff. But if, as it seems, they are actually meant to be light, or sheer, or give a glaze of color, then they are behaving as intended, although perhaps not as expected by purchasers (as opposed to some of the e/s quads which do like a bit weak and dusty).

These are, however, truly glitter bombs, which many people rightly note. However, this can be dealt with easily enough - use a somewhat tacky eyeshadow base, such as Too Faced Glitter Glue, and they work fine with little to no fallout.

I previously posted my experience using TF GG under PP - no fallout and lasting color for over 15 hours.

Another thing, because they are somewhat sheer, i think they can be used elsewhere besides the eyelids. I haven't played with them that way yet - i'm all bundled up in layers of bulky sweaters - but when things warm up a bit, i think i'll try the Amethyst on my cheeks, and for performances, i could brush some of it or the pink Sweet Acting on my collar bones... And i think i may go back for Warming Heart or perhaps Day Gleam as a body shimmer.
They can also be layered over a more opaque color for more shine/glitter. I agree the bad reviews are about the dogma that lotsa pigment=lotsa goodness which isn't necessarily true. It should have enough pigment to be the color you want, ideally, to be layered for increasing opacity, and be blendable, yet stay put.

MACina

I think that layering is my favorite method to use them.There are boundless possibilities to create new colors
heart.gif

And since you can take them out of the pan with a spatula you can also mix them with/like pigments.

They can also be layered over a more opaque color for more shine/glitter. I agree the bad reviews are about the dogma that lotsa pigment=lotsa goodness which isn't necessarily true. It should have enough pigment to be the color you want, ideally, to be layered for increasing opacity, and be blendable, yet stay put.

MACina

I just played with Light Touch and mixed it with P+P Skin Smoother.
And I got a shimmery cream highlighter:

Unfortunatly the pretty shimmer is very difficult (impossible) to photograph
ssad.gif

I think that several PPs make lovely shimmer creams mixed with the
Skin Smoother (Amethyst, Sweet Acting, Angelic, Warming Heart.....e.g.).

I have to try mixing the PPs with MM shine and matte too!

martiangurll

Great idea! I would like to try this with Day Gleam!

ssad.gif

liba

ssad.gif

Brilliant idea - I'm totally going to try this! I think this is going to spur me to get the super pale blue one now!

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by MaCchick43
Am I the only one who is not really a fan of these?

Well, you're not alone, as they made it onto the Temptalia list of 10 Worst Beauty Products of 2012:
http://www.temptalia.com/10-worst-beauty-products-of-2012

I don't want to start another cat fight. We all have different likes and dislikes. I regularly read Christine's site and value her work, even when i don't agree with her product assessment or how she makes up her face :)

The Department of Redundancy Dept. will reiterate again what i already said before:
These can be highly problematic when used all by themselves (glitter bombastic).
But applied over an appropriate base, such as Too Face Glitter Glue, they behave (mine lasted close to 15 hours with NO fallout).

I think most of them are intentionally sheer and not meant to be intensely pigmented. I know this lack of pigmentation has also disappointed many people.

And for those who don't like mass loads of glitter, these will not make them happy.

I would not say i am a fan. But i am quite happy with the 3 i have - Sweet Acting, Amethyst, and Smoky - and i may pick up a few others this year, such as Blue Willow and Warming Heart - Blue Willow could make an interesting highlighter. And i like MACina's idea of mixing them with a light cream to change application and staying power.

I suspect that 2013 will bring us a lot of nice, bright, strong, intense eye shadows.

MaCchick43

I liked them at first until a got a bad reaction when I took it off. But, I can't keep them just because they are pretty =)

Debbs

I picked up the black one Jet Couture at Macys when I went to the mall yesterday to pay my VS bill. I just remembered that its is still tucked away in my purse.