MAC Spring Trend Forecast Collection (Aug. 21, 2014, or upon receipt)

liba

I ordered all of the eye glosses as soon as they were available - waiting for my package to come on Monday (MAC shipping is so slow to CA). I'll give my impressions then.

I've always been into eye gloss looks since the 90's so I'm partial to these, even with their usual downsides. It'll be interesting to see if there's anything more to these than what you'd get using the gloss texture that comes in a tube.

LauraLara

I ordered all of the eye glosses as soon as they were available - waiting for my package to come on Monday (MAC shipping is so slow to CA). I'll give my impressions then. I've always been into eye gloss looks since the 90's so I'm partial to these, even with their usual downsides. It'll be interesting to see if there's anything more to these than what you'd get using the gloss texture that comes in a tube.
I'm excited to hear what you think! And see some swatches! I love the look but I just want to be sure I know what I'm getting into. I've only ever used Vaseline (and lip gloss lol) and that was always just for a few pictures.

liba

I'm excited to hear what you think! And see some swatches! I love the look but I just want to be sure I know what I'm getting into. I've only ever used Vaseline (and lip gloss lol) and that was always just for a few pictures.
I had a Chanel eyeshadow duo in red and black that had a third pan with black eye gloss many years ago (90's? early 2000s?) - that was better than vaseline but it'd still have that crease-y look. You have to be very bold to wear a look like this, not to mention be out in a place where people can accept a high fashion look. Definitely not products to wear all day working at a bank :p

Mac-Guy

I had a Chanel eyeshadow duo in red and black that had a third pan with black eye gloss many years ago (90's? early 2000s?) - that was better than vaseline but it'd still have that crease-y look. You have to be very bold to wear a look like this, not to mention be out in a place where people can accept a high fashion look. Definitely not products to wear all day working at a bank :p
Ha! I had that duo too. It was in 1998, if I remember correctly.

liba

Ha! I had that duo too. It was in 1998, if I remember correctly.
It was so shockingly alluring and daring back then! 'Still is, considering the MAC Eye Gloss is coming in….black and red and just two others.

I think I still have it somewhere, although those shadows are nowhere near as good as the formulas you see today….the red would still compete, but not the black.

LauraLara

It's here! Okay, I got the Studio Eye Gloss in Pearl Varnish. The Good: it looks amaaazing, the shine is absolutely unbeatable, and the iridescent sparkles are so so so pretty. The Bad: I feel like I put ACTUAL varnish on my eyelids. My eyelid and my eyelashes kept sticking to it like glue and eventually I rubbed it off in a panic with the back of my hand because I couldn't stand the feel of it... And they're still sticky to the touch. So idk. I can still use it on the inner corners of my eyes maybe, since I got the light color. But I don't think I can get any more. It just feels terrible, there's no way I could wear my eyelashes with that, or even mascara. It feels like when you accidentally get eyelash glue on your eyelid and it screws up everything for the rest of the night and you just want to wash your whole face and start over. But it's so so so so so pretty.... I wanted it to work sooooo much... I couldn't believe the shine and shimmer...

And I got the lip/cheek palette, and it's beautiful!!! The colors are all just perfect, I would have bought every one of them on their own, especially that plum, i'm literally in love with that plum. I just got back from a long ass road trip though so swatches will have to wait, but i wanted to get my first impressions in!

LauraLara

Okay I was looking online for swatches of the forecast eye palette and there is just NOTHING for anything in this release, so I had to break the internet silence, here are the swatches (I included a bunch of other recent purchases because it's like 1 am and I want to go to bed, not take like three different swatch pics. From elbow to wrist it's: Photo lipstick Out For Fun CC Weekend Getaway CC Pearl Varnish Studio Eye Gloss Seasonably Peach CC (spring trend lip palette) Must Have Melon CC (spring trend lip palette) Bang On Red CC (spring trend lip palette) Spring Sensation CC (spring trend lip palette) Go Guava CC (spring trend lip palette) One To Watch CC (spring trend lip palette)

MRV

^Very pretty shades in the palette. Thank you for the swatches!

Bummer about the eye gloss. I could never use a product like that as my lids rub against each other (I get transfer from the moving lid to above crease even with some regular e/s :( ).

DarylandCarole

That gloss does look really pretty. I decided to try out the red, mostly just for artistic effects for photo shoots. Mac's new book has inspired me.

LauraLara

That gloss does look really pretty. I decided to try out the red, mostly just for artistic effects for photo shoots. Mac's new book has inspired me.
Lmk if you find a way to work with it so it isn't so sticky, I'd get the red one if I could deal with that

liba

Lmk if you find a way to work with it so it isn't so sticky, I'd get the red one if I could deal with that
I got all 4 of the glosses and it's sticky. There's no way around it. It's way less sticky and creasy as old eye gloss products from years ago, but it's a thick texture. I've worn all of them already, because I adore the look and the best advice I can give is if you have hooded lids at all, try not to apply the gloss near where the upper brow skin touches the lid - it's only there, when they stick together that you really feel the stickiness.

Another thing, it applies very nicely with a thin, flat brush like the 242 (I used something even flatter and longer). I tried with fingers and honestly preferred the brush, since it was easier to place it precisely that way. This way you can avoid the parts of your eye that might stick together. Lastly, do a thin layer and keep your eyes lowered for a few minutes so that nothing touches. It never fully dries down but it does sort of "cure" after 3 minutes or so. Then add another layer if you want it super wet looking. You can add that just near the lash line where it'd be the most visible and least likely to stick.

The fact is, these glosses are a great look, especially the white and the taupe, since those two are very subtle and could be worn day or night. The black and the red are very much evening looks and more on the rock 'n roll chic end of the spectrum. However, this is a product you wear for the look and put up with the obvious downsides. If feeling your makeup sitting on you is not acceptable, or you are not into really dramatic, crazy makeup, it's not worth it to get these, to be honest.

LauraLara

I got all 4 of the glosses and it's sticky. There's no way around it. It's way less sticky and creasy as old eye gloss products from years ago, but it's a thick texture. I've worn all of them already, because I adore the look and the best advice I can give is if you have hooded lids at all, try not to apply the gloss near where the upper brow skin touches the lid - it's only there, when they stick together that you really feel the stickiness. Another thing, it applies very nicely with a thin, flat brush like the 242 (I used something even flatter and longer). I tried with fingers and honestly preferred the brush, since it was easier to place it precisely that way. This way you can avoid the parts of your eye that might stick together. Lastly, do a thin layer and keep your eyes lowered for a few minutes so that nothing touches. It never fully dries down but it does sort of "cure" after 3 minutes or so. Then add another layer if you want it super wet looking. You can add that just near the lash line where it'd be the most visible and least likely to stick.  The fact is, these glosses are a great look, especially the white and the taupe, since those two are very subtle and could be worn day or night. The black and the red are very much evening looks and more on the rock 'n roll chic end of the spectrum. However, this is a product you wear for the look and put up with the obvious downsides. If feeling your makeup sitting on you is not acceptable, or you are not into really dramatic, crazy makeup, it's not worth it to get these, to be honest.
Thanks for the advice :) I LOVE the look, I hate that I can't wear it across the whole lid, but it's still pretty as a brow highlight, inner corner, or lower liner. I can still use Vaseline for the shiny look because it's slimy not sticky, it feels gross but it slides across instead of sticking. Here's a pic of the petroleum jelly look I copy from the Kevyn Aucoin book "Making Faces"!
Again, credit to KEVYN AUCOIN, MAKING FACES

kattancs

Maybe a stupid question, but can the CCBs in the eye palette be used like paint pots? Alone and also as base?

erine1881

Maybe a stupid question, but can the CCBs in the eye palette be used like paint pots? Alone and also as base?
They can, but they crease. They aren't very eye-friendly in that sense, even tho they (certain colours) can be worn on the eyes.