MAC X Beth Ditto Discussion

duckrodeo

I checked out this collection in store at Nordstrom today. I liked the look of You're Perfect Already, and I intended on purchasing it, but I compared it next to Creme Cup which is a little more pink and of course glossy because it's a cremesheen. I preferred Creme Cup over YPA, and I'm still not completely drawn to the PLW formula (but I was willing to put up with it if it was a color I liked), so I'm content on skipping and just getting CC instead.

I was going to buy CC in store earlier, as well as a few liners and maybe a pigment (I've been eyeing Vanilla pigment for a while, for its versatility), but the MUA that was assisting me seemed either really cranky or was just flustered because there were so many customers flocking to the counter at once. I was content on browsing on my own and just comparing brown and nude lip liners that I could buy to tone down bright lipsticks. The MUA came by and we discussed what my intentions for the brown/nude liner would be and she said that a brown liner for that purpose would be a completely unnecessary purchase and lip liners should only go with similar colors (???!). I'm like umm okayyy. She was just a tad angry at my intentions for a lip liner. So I was still browsing and she kept coming back, "Are you getting anything? What do you want? I don't know what you're looking for". At that point, I began feeling overwhelmed and uncomfortable being there. I didn't want to just up and leave because I intended to buy some MAC items, but unfortunately I walked away empty-handed. *sigh* smh.

Anyway, I apologize for the off-topic rant! Back on topic, the counter was completely sold out of Booyah!!! and Dear Diary, and a lot of people were checking out Love Long Distance. I didn't see anyone really pick up the powder at all, or hear any discussions about it, so I'm not sure how their sales are doing on that.

EekaBoo

I had no intentions of buying anything from this collection, but yet ended up buying Beth Mask! WTF?! I decided that I should at least give it a try. The colors are awesome and when I tried it on in the store it seemed to glide on easily. Not remotely as dry as T made it seem. :shrugs: Update: After trying this on once I got home, I've decided I definitely don't think this deserved an F rating. I only used my UDPP, the rose gold shadow from the Wet N Wild Comfort Zone palette, and my 217 brush. There was very minimal tugging involved. This is not my HG liner, but not even close to being as bad as I thought.

PixieDancer

I checked out this collection in store at Nordstrom today. I liked the look of You're Perfect Already, and I intended on purchasing it, but I compared it next to Creme Cup which is a little more pink and of course glossy because it's a cremesheen. I preferred Creme Cup over YPA, and I'm still not completely drawn to the PLW formula (but I was willing to put up with it if it was a color I liked), so I'm content on skipping and just getting CC instead.

I was going to buy CC in store earlier, as well as a few liners and maybe a pigment (I've been eyeing Vanilla pigment for a while, for its versatility), but the MUA that was assisting me seemed either really cranky or was just flustered because there were so many customers flocking to the counter at once. I was content on browsing on my own and just comparing brown and nude lip liners that I could buy to tone down bright lipsticks. The MUA came by and we discussed what my intentions for the brown/nude liner would be and she said that a brown liner for that purpose would be a completely unnecessary purchase and lip liners should only go with similar colors (???!). I'm like umm okayyy. She was just a tad angry at my intentions for a lip liner. So I was still browsing and she kept coming back, "Are you getting anything? What do you want? I don't know what you're looking for". At that point, I began feeling overwhelmed and uncomfortable being there. I didn't want to just up and leave because I intended to buy some MAC items, but unfortunately I walked away empty-handed. *sigh* smh.

Anyway, I apologize for the off-topic rant! Back on topic, the counter was completely sold out of Booyah!!! and Dear Diary, and a lot of people were checking out Love Long Distance. I didn't see anyone really pick up the powder at all, or hear any discussions about it, so I'm not sure how their sales are doing on that.
The fact that you had to put up with that stinks BIG TIME!!! I absolutley hate hearing stories like this! Whatever happened to "The Customer's Always Right?" NO person in ANY sales position should ever make a consumer feel this way! I understand that there are nasty, demanding consumers out there... But, if you are not able to deal with those types of people DO NOT GET A SALES/ CUSTOMER SERVICE ORIENTED JOB! And, if someone is actually asking you to do your job... DO IT! You should never had to walk out of there without your purchases or getting assistance with the items you were wanting duckrodeo, and I am so sorry to hear this. I think you owe it to yourself and the MAC Company to call their customer service department AND that store's GM and report this associate's behavior. If sales associates are left to treat customers this way, it is surely bad for the company itself as well as the brand. If I was that store's GM I would want to know if one of my associates needs more training in how to deal with high volume and customer service!
rant.gif

Now you march your cute butt right back in there and get whatever brownish lip liners you want! Just because someone is a makeup artist doesn't mean they know what they're talking about! TRUST ME.... I've had TONS work on my face, and I knew WAY more than most of them! YOU know what YOU want better than anyone else, don't ever 2nd guess!

duckrodeo

The fact that you had to put up with that stinks BIG TIME!!! I absolutley hate hearing stories like this! Whatever happened to "The Customer's Always Right?" NO person in ANY sales position should ever make a consumer feel this way! I understand that there are nasty, demanding consumers out there... But, if you are not able to deal with those types of people DO NOT GET A SALES/ CUSTOMER SERVICE ORIENTED JOB! And, if someone is actually asking you to do your job... DO IT! You should never had to walk out of there without your purchases or getting assistance with the items you were wanting duckrodeo, and I am so sorry to hear this. I think you owe it to yourself and the MAC Company to call their customer service department AND that store's GM and report this associate's behavior. If sales associates are left to treat customers this way, it is surely bad for the company itself as well as the brand. If I was that store's GM I would want to know if one of my associates needs more training in how to deal with high volume and customer service!
rant.gif

Now you march your cute butt right back in there and get whatever brownish lip liners you want! Just because someone is a makeup artist doesn't mean they know what they're talking about! TRUST ME.... I've had TONS work on my face, and I knew WAY more than most of them! YOU know what YOU want better than anyone else, don't ever 2nd guess!
Right! I work in customer service, too, so that's where I do feel empathy for those in similar positions. I KNOW how hard it is to try to please everyone and I know that there are jerks out there and how stressful it can be at times when everyone is there at once. That's why I was more than content just browsing for myself and trying to be as non-pain-in-the-butt as possible, because I already had a general idea of what I came in there for, so I didn't need help trying anything on or getting matched to a foundation and so on and on, so the other customers could be helped and get the attention they wanted.

I know everyone has their days and that it was a very hectic period of time I happened to be there as well, so I'm willing to let that slide. It was kind of puzzling however that she didn't think lip liners and lipsticks should mix if they're not the same color - that was just odd to hear from a MUA. I went in to a different Nordstrom a couple of months ago and played around with some paint pots because I read that you can use them to shape eyebrows and you use it along with a powder, too. The MUA had never heard of that particular technique, but she was willing to test it out to see how it worked. It was a great experience and even though I was experimenting with something the MUA was unfamiliar with, she didn't disregard it as being unnecessary or impossible, either.

aradhana

Right! I work in customer service, too, so that's where I do feel empathy for those in similar positions. I KNOW how hard it is to try to please everyone and I know that there are jerks out there and how stressful it can be at times when everyone is there at once. That's why I was more than content just browsing for myself and trying to be as non-pain-in-the-butt as possible, because I already had a general idea of what I came in there for, so I didn't need help trying anything on or getting matched to a foundation and so on and on, so the other customers could be helped and get the attention they wanted.

I know everyone has their days and that it was a very hectic period of time I happened to be there as well, so I'm willing to let that slide. It was kind of puzzling however that she didn't think lip liners and lipsticks should mix if they're not the same color - that was just odd to hear from a MUA. I went in to a different Nordstrom a couple of months ago and played around with some paint pots because I read that you can use them to shape eyebrows and you use it along with a powder, too. The MUA had never heard of that particular technique, but she was willing to test it out to see how it worked. It was a great experience and even though I was experimenting with something the MUA was unfamiliar with, she didn't disregard it as being unnecessary or impossible, either.
such strange behaviour from the mua...i guess she must have been having a bad day...or doesn't understand how giving customers their space will increase chances of sales!
it sounds like she has a very fixed view of how makeup should be used/applied, as well!!!

Genn

Update: After trying this on once I got home, I've decided I definitely don't think this deserved an F rating. I only used my UDPP, the rose gold shadow from the Wet N Wild Comfort Zone palette, and my 217 brush. There was very minimal tugging involved. This is not my HG liner, but not even close to being as bad as I thought.
The first time I tried to use it was AWFUL. I had used a primer that day though. For some reason I tried it again and the second time it was fine. It worked better for me without a primer.

mac_aiken

Today must have been cranky Nordstrom MAC SA day. I had a miserable experience at mine today. I have never had a bad experience there.

They all know me. I said hello when I came in and told them I was there to pick up "just a few things". There were 3 MUAs there at the time and one other customer besides me (a rather rude woman who seemed to be trying on EVERY lipstick in the perm display straight from the tube and then wiping them off with a wipe which she tossed on the floor). I waited for the next SA so that I could have my items pulled. She went and did a face chart. Then the counter started to get a bit busy and the SAs went to everybody but me. I kept being told they would be "right with me" but then they would go to the to the people after me. When their manager came on the floor (I adore her) she said hello and then went to work on the bride she had scheduled. I finally left but discretely told her that I would come back when I could get someone to actually wait on me.

I came back a few hours later. The counter manager apologized profusely and pulled my items.

I went in for Seedy Pearl e/s and Pervette l/s. I came away with Seedy Pearl, Love Long Distance and Beth Mask (which I love).

duckrodeo

such strange behaviour from the mua...i guess she must have been having a bad day...or doesn't understand how giving customers their space will increase chances of sales!
it sounds like she has a very fixed view of how makeup should be used/applied, as well!!!
Yeah it was definitely strange, but I agree with you that it was probably just a bad day. They might have been overbooked with appointments for graduations and the like (tis the season around here) and trying to go through the walk-in sales as quickly as possible. On top of it being the first weekend of a collection launch and at Nordstrom they always have sample saturday so there's a big push for quick sales there, too. Altogether, it makes sense that it was just an awkward point of time to stop in there. I just felt rushed to buy but at the same time discouraged to buy because of the MUA's point of view.

Genn

This is OT but I thought it was interestingmakeup trick: I have very long lashes so I occasionally will get mascara in my eye makeup if I lift my lashes before the mascara is dry. The MA showed me buy using the fast reponse eye cream it will remove the mascara without messing up my eye shadow.

BEEaboutmakeup

Update: After trying this on once I got home, I've decided I definitely don't think this deserved an F rating. I only used my UDPP, the rose gold shadow from the Wet N Wild Comfort Zone palette, and my 217 brush. There was very minimal tugging involved. This is not my HG liner, but not even close to being as bad as I thought.
Glad you decided to try it and had a great experience !! Beth Mask isn't bad at all.

EekaBoo

The first time I tried to use it was AWFUL. I had used a primer that day though. For some reason I tried it again and the second time it was fine. It worked better for me without a primer.
I would be too scared to try it alone for fear that it would crease on me.

Spikesmom

Interesting!! What do you do? Put a little on a cotton swap and wipe it away?
This is OT but I thought it was interestingmakeup trick: I have very long lashes so I occasionally will get mascara in my eye makeup if I lift my lashes before the mascara is dry. The MA showed me buy using the fast reponse eye cream it will remove the mascara without messing up my eye shadow.

Haven

I tried BM and returned it the next day. Definately gets an "F" from me. I tried it w/ primer, w/out primer, w/ paint pot, etc... All an epic fail in my opinion and very dry. Swatched on my hand beautifully though.

Yes it may be b/c of my lack of "makeup application expertise," but I consider myself an average makeup user. I got much better results using the same color scheme with different products.

Prettypackages

Cut Loose will only brighten lipsticks.

If a lipstick is too dark, Cut Loose will help brighten it... also a liner that's lighter than the lipstick and in the same color family would help (Example: Embrace Me lip liner would brighten Girl About Town).

If a lipstick is too bright, a brown liner will help tone it down. Liners like Stripdown, Have to Have It (LE but still available on the website), Spice, Hover, and Cork are great options depending on your skin tone.
is have to have it a must have for nc44. is there a nyx dupe? I love my nyx liners. was in Ulta the other day and completely forgot to pick some up.

BEEaboutmakeup

is have to have it a must have for nc44. is there a nyx dupe? I love my nyx liners. was in Ulta the other day and completely forgot to pick some up.
HTHI is a nice lip liner and it will go great with your complexion. I'm NW43 and I like it. I can't think of a NYX dupe off the top of my head. I swatched all of my NYX lip liners (49 of them) on my blog. I will PM you the link to it right now so you can see what they look like on brown skin.

aradhana

The more I look at this collection, the more I want! I'm liking you're perfect already and booyah...but since I have to wait anyway i'll make them my second choice if PTTP is sold out by that time.... Funny, spell check tried to replace PTTP with potpourri...

mac_aiken

Bee, could you PM the link to me as well? Thanks!
HTHI is a nice lip liner and it will go great with your complexion. I'm NW43 and I like it. I can't think of a NYX dupe off the top of my head. I swatched all of my NYX lip liners (49 of them) on my blog. I will PM you the link to it right now so you can see what they look like on brown skin.