MAC x Carine Roitfeld (Fall 2012)

Mac-Guy

MAC is making its own grave if this continues.
As people still continue to buy most new MAC collections like crazy, there is no need for them to change their pricing.* This still doesn't make it fair or justify the Canadian prices. I'm just trying to explain the situation.

* Same goes for their animal testing. Lots of "Oh" and "Uh" for a few weeks, but it does seem to affect sales at all. In fact, people seem to have forgotten about MAC's animal testing. Note: I'm not pointing fingers, just stating my observations.

Pinkdollface

As people still continue to buy most new MAC collections like crazy, there is no need for them to change their pricing.* This still doesn't make it fair or justify the Canadian prices. I'm just trying to explain the situation.

* Same goes for their animal testing. Lots of "Oh" and "Uh" for a few weeks, but it does seem to affect sales at all. In fact, people seem to have forgotten about MAC's animal testing. Note: I'm not pointing fingers, just stating my observations.
I definitely haven't forgotten about it, but I've also realized that I still love my mac products and that I still want to buy it. I'm not proud that I do so. I won't start buying other brands that test on animals, but this is different to me because China makes them do this even if they don't want to. I just hope that one day animal testing for cosmetics will be banned worldwide.

Sexy Sadie

The younger people perhaps, but not grown ups like me. We tend to become fed up and find another source of happines.

Mac-Guy

I definitely haven't forgotten about it, but I've also realized that I still love my mac products and that I still want to buy it. I'm not proud that I do so. I won't start buying other brands that test on animals, but this is different to me because China makes them do this even if they don't want to. I just hope that one day animal testing for cosmetics will be banned worldwide.
OT, but...

Let me rephrase this: They do want this as they want to sell in China and make big $$$$$.

Mac-Guy

The younger people perhaps, but not grown ups like me. We tend to become fed up and find another source of happines.
I agree. The target group for MAC is getting younger and younger, while the 35+ generation is certainly looking into other brands.

Mac-Guy

That's not what I meant. They wouldn't do it if China didn't ask for it.
The end result is the same. I don't think we can blame China entirely. As we have seen with UD, there are other ways, e.g. holding off to sell in China until animal testing is banned or substituted.

My point is that MAC doesn't care, nor do the consumer (or shall I say consumers do not care enough).

It's just wrong to say, "Poor MAC, China forces them to do animal testing," as they could very well decide to simply not sell in China. I hope this makes my post more articulated.

Anyway, let's get back to CR.

Pinkdollface

The end result is the same. I don't think we can blame China entirely. As we have seen with UD, there are other ways, e.g. holding off to sell in China until animal testing is banned or substituted.

My point is that MAC doesn't care, nor do the consumer (or shall I say consumers do not care enough).

It's just wrong to say, "Poor MAC, China forces them to do animal testing," as they could very well decide to simply not sell in China. I hope this makes my post more articulated.

Anyway, let's get back to CR.
This is exactly the reason I haven't commented on the animal testing problem in a while. I didn't want to start this discussion. I only wanted to tell why I still buy Mac and how I think about it.

Spikesmom

Uh oh, I'm 42 and will probably stick w/MAC because I love all the collections and fun colors. I'm not a grown up lol! That ArtDeco collection is gorgeous btw!

katred

Specktra Bestie
I agree. The target group for MAC is getting younger and younger, while the 35+ generation is certainly looking into other brands.
Funny, I've noticed that and I wondered if it was just me getting older or them getting younger.
tong.gif
But really, I think that all brands are trying to appeal to a younger market in a way, because more and more, younger people are buying higher end makeup rather than relying solely on pharmacy brands.

back2topic.gif

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but is CR this year's designer collection? Like Marcel Wanders and Garreth Pugh?

Mac-Guy

It's funny, because while I hadn't necessarily decided to walk away from them completely, I haven't bought a single thing from Mac since that news came out. And there are certainly things I've thought of getting. I just haven't been able to pull the proverbial trigger. The Fall collections do look like they might tempt me to spend on Mac again. We shall see.

That said, I think that a lot of customers who came to Mac when they were already fairly well established didn't judge them by the standards of what the brand was earlier, unlike, say Urban Decay who always made a big deal about their "commitments".

That said, I bought Mac for years despite the unfair Canadian pricing, so although it made me mad, it didn't make me mad enough...

Funny, I've noticed that and I wondered if it was just me getting older or them getting younger.
tong.gif
But really, I think that all brands are trying to appeal to a younger market in a way, because more and more, younger people are buying higher end makeup rather than relying solely on pharmacy brands.

back2topic.gif

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but is CR this year's designer collection? Like Marcel Wanders and Garreth Pugh?
It's coming out in September, so it's just a regular collection (with a bit of fun).

Genn

When I ws younger I only wore drug store brand makeup. I didnt have the money to buy dept. store makeup. I have only in the last couple years started using higher end makeup.

OctoberViolet

I still buy a lot of drug store brand makeup. Revlon l/s are the bomb! Love them! I just wish they would come out with some newer colors. I started with Cover Girl & Maybelline cosmetics when I was a pre-teen. I still buy it. I buy Wet n' Wild also. All depends on what's new, the colors, etc. I recently bought from this new brand called Lisi cosmetics. I don't know if anyone has heard of them? I never did, but a store just opened up across the street from my job. They seem to copy Nars blush, MAC eyeshadow and lipsticks, but the prices are waay cheaper. So far, I am loving the e/s. I haven't tried my blush or lippie yet.
flower.gif

When I ws younger I only wore drug store brand makeup. I didnt have the money to buy dept. store makeup. I have only in the last couple years started using higher end makeup.

Genn

Quote: Originally Posted by Sexy Sadie

I still buy some too but its getting harder for to get through all my l/s
icon_eek.gif
I seem to have aquired quite a few lately