Maybe a DUMB question but I am curious..

fintia

Okay.. so when I do my make up I notice that it can look very pretty in my room but if I go to the bathroom the lighting there makes it look awful that really bothers me.. I'm like what mirror/ room is telling me the truth!!! hahaha
th_LMAO.gif

Others with this situation???

kblakes

I have that problem. Or I'll keep putting it on with the bathroom light and then walk outside and it's hookerish.

fafinette21

Haha!! Yes!! I think it is just the horrid lighting they put in bathrooms. I do my makeup in front of a window so its natural light so I know I don't look crazy lol.

L1LMAMAJ

haha i used to have that problem so i started to do my makeup by the window in my room. it solves the problem.

lara

Bathroom lighting is generally yellow- or blue-based fluorescent lighting which hardens up your colour placement and subtly alters the appearance of your colour choices.

If you're not confident in your ability to make adjustments from what you see under bathroom lighting to what it will look like in natural lighting, sit by a window with diffused natural light and do your make-up there.

brandi

I have the same problems, but in my room.. I have dim lighting. I should try going by my window. My makeup always looks lighter, but when I get in my car and take a look in my mirror looks like I'm about to hit the clubs
th_LMAO.gif
instead of school!

SolarWhite

I had the same problem. Seriously, I like doing my makeup in my car, outside for this very reason! And, fluorescent lighting makes any makeup job look like crap. I can't stand that light!

kariii

omg my bathroom bugs the crap out of me, I've tried changing light bulbs so many times but it never changes.... always the same BLAH!

kittykit

I've the same problem with the bathroom light. I'll do my makeup in the bathroom and have a look at it under the natural light.

Sanayhs

I use natural light to avoid this when possible, but natural light isn't always plentiful when I need it. For then, I have a full-spectrum lamp.
smiles.gif

anthgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWhite
I had the same problem. Seriously, I like doing my makeup in my car, outside for this very reason!

Haha, hopefully not WHILE driving!
lol.gif

MAC_Whore

A lot of times bathrooms lack the proper amount of lighting, as well. It's just too dark and there may not be a window.

Another thing to consider is light placement. When you stand in front of the window, light hits every part of your face. With a bathroom light, the light comes down from above your head and casts shadows on your face. The best artificial lighting design incorporates lights on the top and the sides of the mirror, not on the top only.

FiestyFemme

I typically do my makeup in my room in natural light, but if I must do it in the bathroom (like say, when I'm away from home), I always check it in natural light before I'm done so that I'll know I don't look scary.
lol.gif

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
A lot of times bathrooms lack the proper amount of lighting, as well. It's just too dark and there may not be a window.

Another thing to consider is light placement. When you stand in front of the window, light hits every part of your face. With a bathroom light, the light comes down from above your head and casts shadows on your face. The best artificial lighting design incorporates lights on the top and the sides of the mirror, not on the top only.

Sounds like the lights at my counter. Place the most unflattering choice of lights in the most unflattering positions, and there ya go. I wish I had a dollar every time I heard, "Oh, god! I look awful!" or "My eyebrows are a hot mess!", etc. Even one of our trainers was in the mirror fussing with his face, complaining on how awful it is...lol. The placement is as you describe but people STILL hate it, including me, lol. Maybe it's the amount of fluorescent lighting.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
Sounds like the lights at my counter. Place the most unflattering choice of lights in the most unflattering positions, and there ya go. I wish I had a dollar every time I heard, "Oh, god! I look awful!" or "My eyebrows are a hot mess!", etc. Even one of our trainers was in the mirror fussing with his face, complaining on how awful it is...lol. The placement is as you describe but people STILL hate it, including me, lol. Maybe it's the amount of fluorescent lighting.

Yeah, the problem with a lot of those set ups is that there is too damn much wattage. There is a fine line between well lit around the face and freakin' search lights attacking your pores from all sides.

Another thing is the psychological aspect of it. Let's face it, a lot of us probably appreciate on some subconcious level the fact that our faces aren't that well lit in our bathrooms. Everything looks better in low light, eh? Then, when we see our face in full on, proper light, bam, there is no fooling yourself about redness, wrinkles or pores! lol

staceb1990

My makeup actually tends to look better in the bathroom, but that's probably because the lighting sucks
smiles.gif
I usually do my makeup in my room in front of the window.

alka1

I hate fluorescent lighting. Hate it! I think any living person, even the most beautiful, will look horrible under harsh fluorescent lighting. It sucks out the life from your face and magnifies every imperfection times 1000x. =/