My poor newly minted :( Do matte/matte2 eyeshadows shatter easier?

vocaltest

Mods: Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I just depotted some more eyeshadows into an another 'everyday' pallette and i depotted my first matte2 shadow, and its cracked
ssad.gif
its not fully shattered, just cracked really. Do they all do this??

IMG_6432small.jpg

Poor newly minted! Looks like a cave in it!
You can tell I'm not very good at depotting... Twinks got a fingernail in it.

TIA!

blindpassion

How do you depot your shadows? Try the straightening iron method, I used to use the lighter method and that just doesnt work half as good as the iron. I feel your pain though! I was depotting blushes the other day and I pretty much ruined my joyous beauty powder blush!
ssad.gif

vocaltest

I used the no heat method from Enkore on youtubes tutorial! Some of them came out perfect, some didn't (newly minted!!). Theres no way im gonna use the flat iron method, I'm not gonna ruin my £135 ghd's! I do have some cheapo ones somewhere though, is there a good tutorial for it??

blindpassion

Dont worry about ruining your straightening iron, I have a 300$ (canadian) salon quality straightening iron and Ive depotted many a eyeshadow and blush with it
Having the high heat makes it work even better
You put wax paper down on the iron (which doesnt melt or burn) to protect the surface of the iron
Im going to find the tutorial for it now for you.

vocaltest

ok thank you! next time i depot i'll try and have a go with the irons, thank you for the links!!

MAC_mallory

I use the flat iron method too, and it's the only way that I can successfully depot my shadows without ruining them.

Primula

I've had a few matte eyeshadows crack when I depotted them. They seem way more frail to me, because it hasn't happened with any of my other eyeshadows. My poor Pen 'N' Pink reeeally did not like being depotted; it completely cracked
ssad.gif

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
ok thank you! next time i depot i'll try and have a go with the irons, thank you for the links!!

Just thought I'd say, I've used my £100 GHD straighteners to depot nearly 36 eyeshadows. Haven't broken, dented or cracked a single one yet - including Newly Minted. The GHD is fine.

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I used the no heat method from Enkore on youtubes tutorial! Some of them came out perfect, some didn't (newly minted!!). Theres no way im gonna use the flat iron method, I'm not gonna ruin my £135 ghd's! I do have some cheapo ones somewhere though, is there a good tutorial for it??

I know everyone obviously has their opinions on this, but the no heat (alcohol) method from Enkore leaves more room for broken product. When you use heat, it leaves less room for you to mess up and end up poking your stuff because the heat will always melt the glue, no matter how stubborn. Yes, with the no heat method some will come out perfect, but like you said, some have more glue which is difficult to dissolve with alcohol. Some people like this method, but when I tried it, I almost broke what I was depotting...and I've never broken ANYTHING using the flat iron method. Sometimes you can look at people's stuff and tell what method they use because several of their shadows will be broken like yours.
I've heard of people using hair dryers, but I just don't know about all that... I would end up blowing the eye shadow off the counter and into a million pieces!
You wont ruin your iron if you put wax paper over it. There are lots of good tut's on youtube. Good luck!

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primula
I've had a few matte eyeshadows crack when I depotted them. They seem way more frail to me, because it hasn't happened with any of my other eyeshadows. My poor Pen 'N' Pink reeeally did not like being depotted; it completely cracked
ssad.gif

This is what I mean! I've never had any problem with depotting any shadows via no heat method, I just wondered if matte or matte2 shadows crack easier, I've never depotted matte or matte2 shadows before because i've always just bought them in pan form.

cocodivatime

I'm home today and i want to try my first depot. What happens if I don't have waxpaper? Anything else i can use??

I don't feel like leaving and going to the store. LOL

lsperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodivatime
I'm home today and i want to try my first depot. What happens if I don't have waxpaper? Anything else i can use??

I don't feel like leaving and going to the store. LOL

Plain ol' paper towels. This is what I lay on my flat iron and when it starts to scorch, I get a new one. But I can depot 10 or less before it starts to scorch.

elongreach

I find the candle method works really well for me. I don't really have a flat iron, so I wasn't able to try that method. With the candle, I just pop the pan right out the center with no dings.

n_c

The hair dryer method works wonderfully too. I just depotted parrot e/s and it came out perfect using this method.

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_c
The hair dryer method works wonderfully too. I just depotted parrot e/s and it came out perfect using this method.

I second this, altho if I hada hair straightener I'd try that method. Get's annoying to have to hold the blowdryer when doing 5+ shadows, and yes, sometimes the shadow does blow away! I've only had one drop and shatter tho, which happened to be Jasmine.. =(

And altho it's not Matte2, my Richflesh cracked quite a bit. Everything's still in a pan and I can "alcohol" it back together but it was the scariest depot I've had so far...

clotheswhore

I just depotted some e/s for the first time last night - all 17 of them, one of them being Prussian which is a matte2 finish. I used the candle method and they all came out perfectly fine (knocking on wood my good luck streak continues). The only little boo-boo that happened was when I nicked my Espresso Brown with a knife when I was prying the top part of the pot off.