My poor newly minted :( Do matte/matte2 eyeshadows shatter easier?

GlamYOURUs

Flat Iron and patience is the way to go with them. lol
Heck, put them on the iron while you post on specktra. You will forget about them for a lil while which can be a good thing, but just don't burn your house down!

-moonflower-

Don't worry about wrecking your straightner, I use my GHD for depotting, with a layer of grease proof paper and it's fine.

I do think the matte eyeshadows break more easily, the only one I've cracked is Chrome Yellow, which is matte. A chunk came off it while I was depotting.

FiestyFemme

I used to use the candle method, and now I use the flat iron method, but I've never had a problem with them cracking (unless of course I happen to drop it when removing it from the flat iron... sadly that happened to Say Yeah!). I would be weary of not using heat to loosen the glue, and it may very well have something to do with the texture/finish of the eyeshadow. I've only depotted one matte (Carbon) and I don't own any Matte2 so I don't really know.

damsel

i think you can ruin your eyeshadows with any of the methods mentioned. the key is patience. i use the no-heat method. to prevent your eyeshadows from cracking you must allow the alcohol to thoroughly dissolve the glue. i used to just wait a few sec. then try to pop them out (bad idea). now i apply the alcohol & put the eyeshadow down and do something else (go on the computer for a min. etc.). so when i come back and pop it out it comes out easily and the pan does not get warped thus, the eyeshadow stays intact.

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
How do you depot your shadows? Try the straightening iron method, I used to use the lighter method and that just doesnt work half as good as the iron. I feel your pain though! I was depotting blushes the other day and I pretty much ruined my joyous beauty powder blush!
ssad.gif

For blushes I like to use an actual iron. It means you have to sit and hold it, yes, and be a bit more careful, but the bigger surface area makes for more even heating, which means you're sure to get all the glue melted. If you have a really wide hair straightener, that works, but I don't. I've depotted so much stuff perfectly, including 6 beauty powder blushes.

As for the matte and matte2, I use either a hair iron or actual iron to depot my eyeshadows (depending on what's on hand) and have never had any problems.

makeup_queen81

I feel your pain...the exact same thing happened to me when i depotted newly minted..i think that the matte2 are really soft compared to the other e/s finishes

iheartangE

I used the alcohol method and I'll tell you-my Matte shadows were fine but my Veluxe shadows were NOT! And I think Veluxe is very similar to Matte2, so maybe it has something to do with the jet milling or whatever? I don't know but all of my Veluxes cracked and it was not pretty! Thank God I could just put some alcohol into the shadow and re-press it!! I'm definitely going to try the flat-iron method next time though
winks.gif

calysto17

Did anyone find that their e/s did not apply as well after depotting? I just depotted hand written using the flat iron technique and I've noticed that the pigment is just not there. I've done this with many others and I've never had a problem. I'm wondering if the heat somehow messed up the shadow as I get no color when I try to pack some on my brush. Did anyone else notice this. I seem to only really notice this with matte shadows.

pianohno

I can't even use my GHD's without burning my ears/face so I am NOT trusting myself to go near my eye shadows with them!
cry.gif
I am such a numpty. Anyway Vocaltest - loving your pallet! Desperate to get one myself and possibly some quads - just to make travelling easier! WHY MUST PRO SHOPS BE SO FAR AWAY FROM ME
thmbdn.gif

abbyquack

I recently finished depotting over 100 shadows using the candle method...not a single one broke or chipped. The worst that happened is my nails slightly dented a couple but I had no problems...like I say, I didn't do anything fancy and even tried the straightener idea but it didn't work at all for some reason (I don't think I left them on long enough).

Mabelle

My newly minted cracked when i depotted it too. I used the flat iron method. It cracked into so many peices that i just put it in a jar.
I think electric eel ate it too. booooooo

andrrea

I use the flat iron method and it works wonders!!!! I also use wax paper to protect the iron. It`s readily available and cheap
smiles.gif

I also use the flat iron to take off the original label and it works great!!! I`ve depotted Fig. 1, Blanc Type, and Copperplate with no issues!!!