nail polish top coat

L1LMAMAJ

hey guys. i've always had the hardest time keeping my nail polish chip-free. please recommend a good top coat for me!! i'm sick of doing my nails and then having them chipped in a few hours.
ssad.gif
thanks everyone!

malaviKat

I am a huge fan of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails (with Nylon) polish in Nude (no. 95). I think the line has been reformulated somewhat so this might be categorized differently now. I'm not even sure this was originally meant as a topcoat - it's really just a clear polish but it works really well. I can go about a week without chipping/cracking/yellowing etc.

That said, if you're at all concerned about animal testing and/or ingredient safety (as I now am), SH is not the way to go. :p (I'm currently phasing this out of my life and looking for something better).

choozen1ne

I would first get a really good base coat - I like Orly Bonder and China Glaze Strong Adhesion Base Coat they really grab the nail polish and keep it from chipping
For Top Coat I use Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat - it makes my nails really shiny and keeps them chip free longer that others I have tried

gildedangel

I love Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails Strengthening Top Coat, it does a pretty darn good job. On the manicure I currently have on, I have been wearing it for three days with no touch-up top coats and I have only one minor chip.
smiles.gif

claralikesguts

i have tried a bunch of different top coats, yet my polish always chips. maybe it's not a problem with the top coat, but your nails. i'd recommend using a good base coat such as OPI nail envy
smiles.gif
seche vite is my favorite top coat... it's amazing!!

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by claralikesguts
i have tried a bunch of different top coats, yet my polish always chips. maybe it's not a problem with the top coat, but your nails. i'd recommend using a good base coat such as OPI nail envy
smiles.gif
seche vite is my favorite top coat... it's amazing!!

That's actually a really good point. Have you (OP) tried buffing your nails first so they're smooth?

MiCHiE

I like Essie's. I think it's called "To Dry For". I used to swear by Seche Vite, but it gets thick.

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
That's actually a really good point. Have you (OP) tried buffing your nails first so they're smooth?

yes i was thinking about that. maybe the problem is i don't have a good base. in a way it's like makeup. u gotta have a good base. i will look into all these suggestions. thanks for all the input everyone!

NutMeg

Definitely look into a good base coat. I started using Seche Vite about 8 months ago with great results, but it was when I started using CND Stickey two months ago that I noticed a huge improvement in chipping.

malaviKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
yes i was thinking about that. maybe the problem is i don't have a good base. in a way it's like makeup. u gotta have a good base. i will look into all these suggestions. thanks for all the input everyone!

smiles.gif
Get yourself a good buffing block. I went off nail polish for a while (as I was too lazy to polish regularly) and I found that a good buffer block kept my nails natural yet shiny (like I was wearing top coat). Overall this also helps polish adhere better (or so I've found, anyway).
smiles.gif

User67

I really like Seche Vite, it dries super fast & really prolongs the life of my manicures!

RedRibbon

I use the Nails Inc base coat clear polish as I find it "traps" your polish. It won't let it sink into the nail and it won't let it chip either.

ms. kendra

Base - Orly Bonder, Seche Ridge Filler

Top - Seche Vite, Diamond Dry

Make sure your nails are clean and oil free when you apply polish, and always cap the edges/tips with each coat of polish you use.

GlamQueen21

You can do the Sally Hanson's Insta-Dri Fast Dry Nail Color has a Top Coat. It dries within 60 seconds and I really recommend this. Also, China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat and Strong Adhesion Base Coat is great too!

BEA2LS

i find that essie's nail products work best for me - they have a top coat called good to go and it's fast drying and great!

NutMeg

A couple more thoughts. Try wiping your nails with vinegar before starting to polish them, it will remove any oils without drying them out the way remover will. Also, be careful not to over buff your nails especially if you have problems with peeling/spliting/breaking. Only buff if you can see ridges, because everytime you buff you are removing the top layers of your nail, which weakens the nail gradually.