nail polish top coat

Redz24

I use any base coat, but I only have three topcoats I use Essie Good To Go, Nails In Kensington Topcoat Caviar and China Glaze First & Last Topcoat.

I've reviewed both the Essie and Nails Inc one on my blog. =)

BeautyPsycho

I actually like Poshe top coat way more than Seche. Am I alone in this? It dries super fast, it's shiny etc but it doesn't pull my np like seche does, and its formaldehyde and toluene free (seche is not if Im not mistaken).

Anna Phalactyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
hey guys. i've always had the hardest time keeping my nail polish chip-free. please recommend a good top coat for me!! i'm sick of doing my nails and then having them chipped in a few hours.
ssad.gif
thanks everyone!

There's this technique called the "Stickey Sandwich" that I've been using lately that is yielding awesome results- five days chip-free, which was unheard of for me before!

Basically, apply a coat of CND Stickey to clean nail, then your polish, allow to dry till tacky, then apply another coat of CND Stickey, then your topcoat (I use Seche Vite).

Good Luck!

kittykit

I have use Seche Vite and Essie Good To Go! topcoat. I prefer Essie one because Seche Vite is too thick for my liking. But both are great topcoats.

zosojacks

Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri topcoat used to be my go-to, but I don't like the "flatness" of the finish; it dries shiny but it doesn't have that thick, glassy, gel-nail look that I like. (If that makes sense)

Essie's Good To Go! is pretty good but I could only use half of the bottle before it got too thick and unworkable.

Lately I've been using Poshe and Seche Vite's topcoats and they are the best I've ever used! Actually I prefer Poshe at times, it seems to last longer for me but it is not widely available in my neck of the woods.

And I agree, a good base coat is crucial too!

Nadeshda

Get a good basecoat first. I find that, with the base coat that I'm using (which is only available in my country, so it's not worth mentioning it...) I can have a week or more of polish without chipping. And that is without a top coat! I do get some tipwear, but I don't mind it that much.

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
I really like Seche Vite, it dries super fast & really prolongs the life of my manicures!

so where can i find this brand?? i'm such a nail noob.
th_confused_new.gif

Anna Phalactyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
so where can i find this brand?? i'm such a nail noob.
th_confused_new.gif

In my neck of the woods, every CVS carries it, as well as Sally Beauty Supply and Ulta stores.

ashleyavocado

i'm also a huge fan of seche vite. it dries super fast which is good for someone as impatient as myself.

however, i feel like my base coat is rubbish since my nails still chip relatively quickly... i've been considering either orly bonder or cnd stickey, does anyone here have a preference between the two?

ohshnappp

Chipping also has to do with what base coat you're using.
My HG combo is CND Stickey base coat with Seche Vite top coat. I change my nails every week, and they're never chipped by the end of the week when I use these two!

everyone always says seche vite but i'm not a fan, as it doesnt seem to do anything to prolong the life of the polish just makes it shiny!! sally hansens hard as nails is great!

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolaarthur99
everyone always says seche vite but i'm not a fan, as it doesnt seem to do anything to prolong the life of the polish just makes it shiny!! sally hansens hard as nails is great!

i agree, hard as nails is a great line.. sally hansen really makes great, affordable products - their polishes honestly last as long on me as OPI or essie (though i like OPI's brush the best and I think Essie goes on the smoothest for me, but different brands work for different people)

MzzRach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
I really like Seche Vite, it dries super fast & really prolongs the life of my manicures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I'm another Seche Vite fan
smiles.gif

Seche Vite is great - only drawback is that with repeated use it thickens up, and you can only use the thinner that Seche makes to thin it out. I find it worth it, because the topcoat is so good. And a bottle of their thinner will last years and years, you only use drops at a time.

I find that using SV top coat with Creative Nail Design Stickey base coat to be a good combo for resisting chipping.

CaveB

Seche Vite is fine, but I recently I have been reaching for Poshe over it and things seems to be wearing like iron.

Just a Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
I actually like Poshe top coat way more than Seche. Am I alone in this? It dries super fast, it's shiny etc but it doesn't pull my np like seche does, and its formaldehyde and toluene free (seche is not if Im not mistaken).

I agree with you
yes.gif

MizzVivaGlam

i love beauty secrets nail top coat from sallys beauty supply. i swear it's like painting on shiney thick glass. my polish lasts forever with it.

ohmissdee

I've tried essie, opi, seche vite and the one that worked best for me is....sally hansens! The top coats actually dries quickly and makes my nail polish last a couple of days more than the other brands