Nail Polish Wars! OPI vs. China Glaze vs. MAC

vanchi

i prefer opi. my favorites at the moment are: black cherry chutney, malaga wine, no spain no gain, boris and natasha, mrs o'leary's bbq, give me moor, can you tapas this, 20 candles on my cake and we'll always have paris

malaviKat

I love the look of some OPI polishes, but to be honest, I haven't purchased any. By and large, the price of OPI in Canada has put me off for years. They seem like good polishes and I will likely give them a chance eventually but for now, I have no experience with OPIs.

Having said that, I now own two MAC colours (one purchased, one was a gift) and I don't have application problems with either. MAC's discontinued Vino n/p is my favourite shade of red. And I'm currently on the Dry Martini bandwagon.

China Glaze is my go-to nail polish. I've never had a problem with application (aside from one, almost metallic, colour that applied a bit streaky.) I love the formula (I'm sure I've encountered both the old and new formula by now and neither has posed a problem), I love the colour selection and I love the price it retails for online or at Sallys.

I am likely not as fussy about polish as some of you more avid collectors. I rarely have a problem with my polish chipping, regardless of brand, unless I do a hurried application job. Polish wears on me well and my nails will often outgrow its polish (cuticle gap) before I see much tipwear.

China Glaze is still my fave though! I bought Wagon Trail in the summer and I cannot wait to wear it. It's a beautiful shimmery forest green with a hint of gold. Perfect for fall!

blondegirl

girls i love all the brands but i continue to have problems with chipping.
i think it may have something to do with my job-i am a nurse.
Can i ask-do you girls apply a top coat every day on your polish? i have heard this can help....but i have also heard that having too many coats can cause peeling. Any thoughts?

ashley_9352

I prefer OPI, I think you can't beat the quality of them. I have a bunch of China Glaze too that I love for the color, but not for quality, I find it's hit or miss with the formula and they tend to chip really easy. I don't have any MAC nail polish, I never really hear great things about them, and the colors are normally easily duped with a OPI/China Glaze color.

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl
girls i love all the brands but i continue to have problems with chipping.
i think it may have something to do with my job-i am a nurse.
Can i ask-do you girls apply a top coat every day on your polish? i have heard this can help....but i have also heard that having too many coats can cause peeling. Any thoughts?

Yes, too many or too thick coats can cause peeling of the polish, so it's the best to apply thin layers and wait for them to dry before you apply another coat.
Also, get a base coat, it's going to help your np to stick better and wear longer.

ms. kendra

OPI gets thick too fast, and I've never used MAC nail polish.
China Glaze makes really pretty colors and I like the formula, so if I had to pick I'd say CG, but Im really and Essie girl!!

VeXedPiNk

The only one I've had experience with is MAC and I was quite disappointed. As others have said, the formula is quite goopy and it was quite difficult to get an even & streak-free result. It also took a long time to dry. The only thing I liked was how long it lasted. I found it didn't chip very much at all.

igswonderworld

Even though I'm sure OPI has the best formula and wear, I cannot get my head around the fact that it brings out VERY dupable colors with each collection. I mean I really cannot choose between the reds and I NEED a red nail polish, for this reason only I couldn't buy one for the last 8 months. I'm sure it goes forever but China Glaze wins it for me! I LOVE the colors, and they go for a long time on me without a base or top coat.
My other favorite happens to be Orly. It's got great colors and a very dependable wear that has occasionally saved yours truly from eternal embarrassment to BF's mom.
I also love Illamasqua, it's formula is also very smooth and workable. I like the colors immensely.
Now MAC has always been my first love so I can't let it get no love, but I agree that it is down at the bottom..
So I suppose in order they'd be

1-China Glaze, 2-Orly, 3-Illamasqua, 4-OPI, 5-MAC

Susanne

I LOVE OPI!!
love.gif
The wide range of colours, the formula, the way to apply it.

But I have a few MAC and China Glaze n/p as well.
yes.gif

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by igswonderworld
Even though I'm sure OPI has the best formula and wear, I cannot get my head around the fact that it brings out VERY dupable colors with each collection. I mean I really cannot choose between the reds and I NEED a red nail polish, for this reason only I couldn't buy one for the last 8 months.

I just bought 4 reds from OPI
th_wink3.gif
Let's see which one will be my fave.

LMD84

i really like the opi brush - it's very wide so pretty much gets all my nail done very quickly! however colour wise i much prefer china glaze! so go for those babies everytime! they last a long time on my nails too whereas opi seems to chip eaisly on me.

i did buy the matte opi lincoln after dark and really wasn't keen on it
ssad.gif
might try some orly mattes... or is it essie that have them? a company does one called purple velvet that looks really nice!

igswonderworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I just bought 4 reds from OPI
th_wink3.gif
Let's see which one will be my fave.

Oh wlii you please post some swatches Susanne? I'm seriously going crazy, it's got to stop!!
lol.gif

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by igswonderworld
Oh wlii you please post some swatches Susanne? I'm seriously going crazy, it's got to stop!!
lol.gif

They have not arrived yet, but I will post swatches for you then
yes.gif

blondegirl

girls we are so addicted to polish arent we.
i love nail polish SO much. its the best hobby to have isnt it.

ltaylor

China Glaze is my new favorite. I love Watermelon Rind such a pretty color. I also need to purchase For Audrey. Love that color.

macaddict83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleydenise
I think i'm the only one ever who likes MAC polishes, even though they're not true to bottle color with one coat, they last me like 3 days if I use with a mac basecoat! I mean i love OPI and China Glaze also, but when them I have to repaint everyday cause my nails will not hold color =[

Either way, OPI, China Glaze & MAC the only 3 brands I religiously buy. I've also have 1 Essie, and I like it, but I can't find it online for cheap and am not willing to buy it for $8 a bottle at Ulta. 2 Finger Paints, but i'm not impressed with the formula at all, and 1 Piggy Polish, I have the Wicked Fun color which I love, but it has formaldehyde in it and it discolored my nail =[

hmmm the Ulta in PA I always went to was more like $6.99 a bottle. I have bought from enailsupply.com before, but they are hit or miss with their business practices (this is what I hear, I have not had a problem.) You can buy from Essie directly too (it's $8/bottle), but not sure what S&H would be. Also, if you have an ebay account, there are a lot of deals on there.

For my personal tastes, I buy what I like color wise. I have not tried China Glaze before, but have tried OPI. Essie wins over OPI in my book. I have three MAC and if you get them at the CCO that is the best deal. They are a pain to get the bottle color...However, the most compliments I receive are from my MAC polishes. In general, I have Essie Vainty Fairest or Mademoiselle on my toes all year. They are nice pigmented polishes.

For nails, I really like "drugstore polish" like Mabelline Express finish. I like the coverage Orly has too.

EDIT- I lied. I have one Nicole by Opi "Nic Stick" in Text Me. Which I bought to try the brush in tube idea. It made a mess.

BEA2LS

^^ i also have drug store faves, too
smiles.gif
i like sally hansen a lot (i actually think it compares to OPI, china Glaze and Essie and I have a bunch of all of them). I like milani's colors but they chip so quickly, and I think revlon makes decent colors.
i guess i am not really loyal to anyone
winks.gif

MzzRach

I find OPI to be the best in terms of formula, application and wear. It's just a really good quality product.

China Glaze has great colour options, but the formula I find hard to work with and plus it chips on me.

MAC polish chips on me as well, so even though they have had some great LE colours lately, I'm not spending the money on something that does not last even 3 days on my nails.

BEA2LS

^^ I agree with you on MAC and china glaze, too actually though I am a sucker for their shades.
Right now, I would pick OPI but mainly for it's brush. it takes quite a bit to dry on me.. my true love is still essie but my favorites change every few months.