Nail Polish Wars! OPI vs. China Glaze vs. MAC

blondegirl

does anyone find china glaze chips really easy? no matter what i do i cannot get it to stay on longer than a day!!

Shadowy Lady

^^ it chips easy on me. But I guess everyone has different body chemistry. The longest lasting nail polish formula on me is OPI

BEA2LS

China glaze does chip on me, and sometimes opi is too thick on me, it is probably my application for that one though. it depends on the person and also what top coat, etc. you use. different things work for different people. i still do buy china glaze once in awhile because they have lovely shades.

LMD84

i'm starting to like opi alot again! the brush is great and it lasts a fair amount of tie on me too.
smiles.gif

china glaze really differs on me.... some that i own will last 4-5 days but some polishes like the holographic ones chip after 1 day or wear!

zosojacks

I've been doing my nails since I was in 2nd grade, so it's safe to say I know a thing or two about nail polish and what I like, haha.

By far my favourite polish brand is OPI. Great selection of colours, excellent formula and great brush. I do agree, sometimes it seems like each new OPI colour collection has repeats of the same ol' reds and pinks, but there are always stand-out shades that I haven't seen anywhere else.
The 3-free formula has gotten way better, which makes for a very smooth application. And I like the Pro-Wide brush, but I imagine it might not be the best for ladies with smaller nail beds.
Lasts a very long time with base + top coat. Not much else to say...love it and will continue to purchase.

China Glaze isn't sold around here, unless it's hiding and nobody has told me! I'm aware of e-tailers that sell ChG but I'm not a fan of ordering things online. I would love to try one of their holos.

MAC polishes...most of the ones I've tried are much too thick for my liking, even right out of the box. I don't like having to thin them out right away! The brush is OK.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosojacks

China Glaze isn't sold around here, unless it's hiding and nobody has told me! I'm aware of e-tailers that sell ChG but I'm not a fan of ordering things online. I would love to try one of their holos.

Where do you live? We have ChG here in Ottawa at sally's and at Chatters salon. Just google them and look for stores in your city

zosojacks

^^ I live in Vancouver and there are no Sally Beauty stores or Trade Secrets. *grr* I think the closest Sallys in BC is in Abbotsford, but I don't feel like driving 2 hours to buy nail polish, lol.

Anyway, I searched for ChG retailers in Vancouver and I found a small boutique that *may* sell their polishes! It's called Wink Beauty Lounge, and it just opened this summer. However, there was not much info on their website (annoying) so I guess I'll just have to take a peek sometime.

Any Vancity ladies know of this place/bought anything there?

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by igswonderworld
Even though I'm sure OPI has the best formula and wear, I cannot get my head around the fact that it brings out VERY dupable colors with each collection. I mean I really cannot choose between the reds and I NEED a red nail polish, for this reason only I couldn't buy one for the last 8 months. I'm sure it goes forever but China Glaze wins it for me! I LOVE the colors, and they go for a long time on me without a base or top coat.
My other favorite happens to be Orly. It's got great colors and a very dependable wear that has occasionally saved yours truly from eternal embarrassment to BF's mom.
I also love Illamasqua, it's formula is also very smooth and workable. I like the colors immensely.
Now MAC has always been my first love so I can't let it get no love, but I agree that it is down at the bottom..
So I suppose in order they'd be

1-China Glaze, 2-Orly, 3-Illamasqua, 4-OPI, 5-MAC

so you find Orly is long wearing???
what base coat and top coat are you using with the Orly?
i find that china glaze chips like crazy on me, i've tried everything to prevernt CG chipping.

LMD84

i only have one orly polish and find that lasts very well indeed. i don't use a base coat but i use a nails inc top coat.

Lalai

I think both China Glaze and OPI are pretty bad. Either they take ages to dry (and still my manicure gets ruined after ages of drying) or they chip the next day and also get streaky when applied. Not good. My favourite nailpolish is Nails Inc because it dries quickly and does not chip the next day. South Molton St is my all time favourite for natural nails: sheer, no streaking and like make-up for my nails becuase it always makes them look better straight away.

igswonderworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl
so you find Orly is long wearing???
what base coat and top coat are you using with the Orly?
i find that china glaze chips like crazy on me, i've tried everything to prevernt CG chipping.

I use Nailtique formula 2 as a base coat and OPI Rapidry for top coat. I had Country Club Khaki on my nails for a week with minimal chipping at the very tip of my fingers...

A lot of people complain that China Glaze chips easily but I never had a serious problem when I used it with with a decent top and base coat. In fact I have China Glaze Recycle on my hands for 6 1/2 days. There's very VERY little chipping (of catgut fiber thinness) on 3 nails, but everything else is tip top.

Honey xOo

I love China Glaze the most! Their shades are always so hot and they last/look really professional. I love Rainbow the most, it looks like bubbles to me
smiles.gif

Sabrunka

OPI's new formula is shit... At our spa we have like 5 passions and they all look different because OPI is trying to change their formula, and in turn is screwing us over. They are a good polish brand, I say definitely better than MAC and China Glaze.. But the best I've come across is polish from the Lippmann Collection. My fave OPI colours are Princesses Rule!, Otherwise Engaged, Russian Navy, Royal Raja Ruby and Ate Berries in the Canaries.

Sabrunka

And yes, MAC and China Glaze chip so bad for me :S:S It's annoying. I've had Sally Hansen polishes better than those two brands!! I think OPI has so much good rep because they advertise so much.. Honestly though they aren't anything too special, people just think they are because it's most of what they've tried :p. I just wish their formula went back to normal so all the colours were normal again!

blondegirl

does anyone else love zoya?
i find they are the longest wearing for me if i use the color lock system

Vixxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl
does anyone else love zoya?
i find they are the longest wearing for me if i use the color lock system

Zoya is my new addictions. They have a very nice color selection and they do last a long time. I just tried OPI for the first time yesterday and it's already chipped really bad.

blondegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixxan
Zoya is my new addictions. They have a very nice color selection and they do last a long time. I just tried OPI for the first time yesterday and it's already chipped really bad.

zoya is great isnt it!!!
ita so long wearing. i use the color lock system.
its so expensive here in australia so i have it sent from the USA as its much cheaper!