Paints Vs. Shadesticks!

mandirigma

kinda a tricky question. i use paints more but i never use them alone. i was using bare canvas for the longest, just to keep the shadow on my lids but i didn't like how it seemed to dull out the color. i guess it really depends on what paint you're using, but i noticed even with my colored paints i wasn't really getting the effect i wanted. paints are definitely easier to work with than shadesticks, but if you're looking for a base that'll work better with color, i say get the paint and keep the shadestick too.

asteffey

i like paints more. bare canvas seems to cling onto whatever shadow, pigment or gloss i apply. the trick is not to use a ton of paint because it will crease whatever you put on top of it. try the prep. its pretty handy

bozica

I like paints way better. They're easier to apply for me than shadesticks which tugged at my eyelid and never went on evenly, and paints don't crease on me like shadesticks did within a few hours. I tried to like my shadesticks, but just got more paints instead and swapped all my shadesticks away.

bottleblack

I have and use both, depending on the colors I'm trying to achieve - I have found shadesticks to be easier to apply evenly, however both make awesome bases, neither crease on me, and my eyeshadow stays put all day.

NikkiHorror

Which do you think make a better base and why? Does one or the other help paint adhere better? Get more intense color payoff? Last longer? Crease less? Which do you like and why?

d_flawless

untitled paint is the only one that doesn't give me issues. the shimmery ones, such as shimma, chartu, base light, etc...forget it, i always have color payoff problems.
the best base combo i've used thus far is untitled paint with beige-ing over it...serious stay and color wear for about 16 hours

Kristen

I used to be a shadestick person through and through. I was never able to find a paint colour that worked for my skin tone, so finding shadesticks were easier. They're slightly tacky (and stay slightly tacky) which helps pigments and lustre formulas adhere especially well. They come in a variety of tones, so for brighter looks they give that extra punch you need. They're in crayon form so if you don't have brushes you don't have to worry as much.

But theeen I switched to paints and I'm not looking back. I finally found untitled and bamboom which work for warm or cool looks for me. They apply as thinly or sheerly as needed. This makes blending them out gradually a LOT easier (recc the 242 or the 213). They dry very quickly to a dry powder finish. This makes it easier for applying washes.

If you apply enough of either of them.. they will both crease. I find paints to crease slightly less of the time.
Perhaps this is just my luck, but I find shadesticks don't keep as well. In the past I've found they've dried out/hardened, snapped, become dislodged from their housing or the mechanism has broken. There are ways to fix these things.
Paints CAN dry out or spurt. I have not had problems with either.. but they too can be fixed.

They're both good... but in different ways. I would recc paints for every day looks. It's super easy to apply and go. Shadesticks are a bit better for complex looks because they stay tacky and for me at least... I can pack my pigments where I want them.

rainbowcrushed

Overall I like paints better, last longer, helps the colors pop a bit more... However I do like the shadesticks, just not shimmermint and silverbleu.

Pure Vanity

Untitled paint is my fave, if i'm going to a gig I know my eye make-up will stay put.
For day to day I use beiging shadestick as my base which works really well.

liquidsirenhoney

paints..i have one shadestick so maybe i'm not the best person to ask but i tried one and that was it, shadesticks are too hard (yeah i know warm it up...the only way i have found a shadestick works for me is over ccb). i have less creasing with paints, i like bare canvas and graphito...graphito with darker eyes gives me great color pay of when doing blues and a color like beauty marked.

KaylaGrace

I like both of them so I use both.
When I am in a rush or doing something simple and plain I will usually just use paint. Bare Canvas matches the skintone of my eyes so I use that one.

I like to use shadesticks because for me, it reinforces the colour and makes it brighter!

When I am doing something fancy or am going out for the night I will use Bare Canvas and then a shadestick on top of that. It holds everything in place super tight and after a long day of running around or long night of partying I still have to scrub to get it off. It also, like I said above, makes the colour brighter for me.

HotLady1970

I bought Crimsonaire and Beige-ing Shadesticks when they were released and I returned them a week later!
I hated their application it was not as smooth as I thought it would be!

Now I'm a big fan of Paints! I use Bare Canvas, Stilife and Base Light all the time!