People who try to mooch free stuff or services

Strawberrymold

Okay... Rant... sorry it's a big one

I am really friggin' tired of people I barely know giving me crap and being bitchy to me because I won't give them free stuff, let them play with my stash/kit, or do their make up for free.

This is not a hobby for me it's how I make a living (and even if it wasn't it's still rude to assume you have dibs to someone's personal property or skill simply because they have a lot of it)

...So here's what sparked the rant... My roommate and I had a party over the weekend. There were a few people there that I had never met before but knew either my roommate or one of our friends. So this girl I have never even met hears from someone that I am a MUA for a living and hunts me down and asks if she can play with my makeup. When I told her no she asked me why over 20 times and then finally walks away. I was never rude to her, I only explained that it was not only personal but also this was what I used for my job so I didn't use it to play with (you guys know the speech). So later on that night some one tells me that she has been telling everyone that I am a bitch and selfish (might I add SHE IS IN MY HOUSE DRINKING MY BEER & EATING MY FOOD). One of my friends was trying to defend me and I don't know exactly what he said (but he has a good heart so I know however it came out he meant well)... anyways, somehow she found out how much my kit is worth (ballpark figure around $5000 - $6000). So this girl waits until no one is watching her, sneaks into my bathroom and takes what she can find (which granted, wasn't much, my makeup and my vanity is in my bedroom which I keep locked during parties). I didn't notice until she was gone (which was shortly after) but one thing is for sure, if I had caught her... she would would have met the real bitch.

Anyways, although this was one of the worst incidents that have happened to me because I know how to do and have a lot of makeup, it was not the first. And every time it happens it makes me so freakin mad!

Even though as a MUA you tend to pick up stuff for free, it doesn't mean we don't have to invest our own money to get the things we need. And when you freelance or don't have another job... you work your ass off to make sure you get paid. It just pisses me off because no one is entitled to anything I have or have worked to get unless I chose to give it to them.

Some people just don't understand that as a MUA time literally is money and that my kit is not some kind of inexhaustible resource. Most of the we don't get paid for what we use on people and although a portion of that is included in our fee's, if our rates aren't reasonably priced, it can be difficult to find regular work. Add that to working on multiple people... time spent networking that we don't get paid for... ect.

I love what I do but I can't stand mooches or haters.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories, it's therapeutic & thanks for listening to mine!
th_cheerup.gif

TISH1124

You know I am just a firm believer that if people have the nerve to ask you for things you have earned and things that you use to do your job..then you have the nerve to say NO without explanation. I think it is mooching and moochers just need to be told NO and don't ask again. But I'm nasty like that
smiles.gif

GlamQueen21

I agree with Tish. No one should ask you if they can get free makeup from you. That girl would understand why you said no to her and you did the right thing. Also, what nerve of her to steal some of your makeup that you use for freelancing!! I would be pissed off if that ever happend to me.
th_cheerup.gif

Okami08

If you have any proof that she's the one who took it, I'd file a police report. Theft is theft, and is illegal and wrong.
angry.gif

Yushimi

Man, I have friends who `borrow` makeup (which is something I bought a day ago because they can tell it`s new)...and they dont even bother returning it. It`s always eyeshadows...I dont EVER let them touch the lipsticks or mascaras etc.etc. so hygienic reasons lolz. But still, people don`t understand that MUA is actually a job and doing makeup is a job. A lot of people take it as a joke and never really that serious.

Candy Christ

That is just so damn messed up. You should hunt her down and attack her, I know I would. I'm not an MUA but I do have a lot of makeup, which is mostly MAC and you wouldn't believe how many girls have "forgot to give me my eyeliner back". Because I really went through the trouble of sharpening it for you just for you to keep it. Then I just usually end up throwing them away because I don't want their grubby thief-chic germs all over it, no matter how much sharpening can be done. I learned to never bring my makeup to school anymore. And no, you can't see what Blot Powder does, buy your own!

gildedangel

I have always been paranoid about other people being around my makeup and using it. I don't tell a lot of people that I like and do makeup, pretty much just my friends and I have never charged them, I do it because it is fun for me but it is not my living.
One time my roommate called me while I was out and asked if she could use my MAC makeup. I told her no because I don't like people using my makeup when I am not there to supervise and watch for contamination and germies and such. If I am there then it is fine. Anyways, I came back to find all of my MAC strewn around the counter used, and she had used it on herself and a friend that I was not aware of. I freaked out on my roommate and sicced my RA on her for using my things with my express answer in not giving her permission. I freaked out and sanatized everything and it was all messed up and I was very upset. She ended up being a monster roommate and I ended up locking away all of my makeup whenever I was gone. I do really crappy jobs to earn the little bit of money I have to spend on makeup and I hate when people assume that they can play with your things.

gigglegirl

wow.....grrr moochers piss me off. COME ON! why would ppl feel they DESERVE something.....if that biatch was asking me 20 times why she couldnt touch my shit, id ask her why? why the eff do you want to touch my stuff? it boggles the mind like those freaks who steal testers. groddy!!

I'm a very independent person, i work hard for all my goods, and could never dream of stealing someone else's things, no matter the size of their collection.

sorry this happened to you, glad you stayed strong with her!!

ashleydawn

i do hair and people always want me to do their hair or free... like i want to work 8 hours at my salon and then come home to do more hair and not even get paid for it! i mean its not like i spent almost 20k on my schooling and am endlessly spending on new tools... of course i would love to work or nothing! </sarcasm> lol

ShugAvery2001

thats too bad girl.. you gotta make sure your stash is well hidden. cause most folks don't understand that those are your business tools! ESPECIALLY someone who thinks they know you

TISH1124

This is so why I love the guy friends that I have...they could give a rats ass about my mu...I have 2 girlfriends and they as much if not more mu as I do...the others are acquaintances and they don't get invited up in my mu space anyway.

staceb1990

Jeez, that's exactly why most people bug me. I can't get over the fact that somebody went into your bathroom and stole things. I'd figure out how she was invited to your party and track her down if I were you
nonono.gif

Strawberrymold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglegirl
wow.....grrr moochers piss me off. COME ON! why would ppl feel they DESERVE something.....if that biatch was asking me 20 times why she couldnt touch my shit, id ask her why? why the eff do you want to touch my stuff? it boggles the mind like those freaks who steal testers. groddy!!

I'm a very independent person, i work hard for all my goods, and could never dream of stealing someone else's things, no matter the size of their collection.

sorry this happened to you, glad you stayed strong with her!!

Thanks,

At least I learned a valuable lesson... don't let crazy bitches into your house!

Willa

What is up with people?

When did it became Ok to put your hands on people's stuff without permission?
No means no, no?
nope.gif

Some people either think we're too superficial for having this much makeup, even if you tell them it's your working kit, they don't get it and don't understand the importance of all this, or either they think we're a makeup vending machine and that makeup falls from the sky, magically
angry.gif

One time I was at my sister's place and her friend was there.
I brought a part of my kit because I wanted to test a technique on them
lol.gif
, and I made sure they knew where my stuff was because I didnt want them to sit or walk on it (it was on the floor next to the sofa, and a bag was next to me on the sofa). Her friend came next to me and basically sat on my bag full of e/s!!!!

Come on, what's that?
Did I ever came and sit on your computer at the office???

@Strawberrymold : HUNT-HER-DOWN. N O W

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrymold
Thanks,

At least I learned a valuable lesson... don't let crazy bitches into your house!

That pretty much hits the nail on the head lol
th_LMAO.gif

Strawberrymold

Thanks so much lovelies! I feel soooo much better now that I have vented. It's good to talk to people who understand! None of my close friends are MUA or as makeup addicted me so they don't really understand. + all though my BF & BFF understand it is a passion of mine, they don't really get what it is like. My roommate was pissed that some of her stuff got nabbed, but she was more mad at the fact that it WAS nabbed. Whereas I was more like "HOLY CRAP THAT WAS LE DAMNIT!!!" - two good things though... 1) my roommate doesn't take crap from anyone so she will be tracking the skank down so all get my stuff back (although it will probably be unusable after all the lysol treatments I will have to administer) & 2) I truly am a makeup junkie so I GOT BACK UPS!!

anyways,
you ladies are awesome!! I love Specktra!!!

Strawberrymold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
What is up with people?

When did it became Ok to put your hands on people's stuff without permission?
No means no, no?
nope.gif

Some people either think we're too superficial for having this much makeup, even if you tell them it's your working kit, they don't get it and don't understand the importance of all this, or either they think we're a makeup vending machine and that makeup falls from the sky, magically
angry.gif

One time I was at my sister's place and her friend was there.
I brought a part of my kit because I wanted to test a technique on them
lol.gif
, and I made sure they knew where my stuff was because I didnt want them to sit or walk on it (it was on the floor next to the sofa, and a bag was next to me on the sofa). Her friend came next to me and basically sat on my bag full of e/s!!!!

Come on, what's that?
Did I ever came and sit on your computer at the office???

@Strawberrymold : HUNT-HER-DOWN. N O W

I would die. I hope she didn't break anything

HeatherLouWho

I think a lot of professions have these issues. I am a lawyer and I wish I had a dime for every time someone wanted me to analyze their legal issues at a party. No, I will not tell you how to screw your soon-to-be ex-wife out of the house.

I also have tons of make-up and though I don't do it professionally, I run into the borrowing problem all the time. People think that because I have a whole cup full of eyeliner that I won't notice my Industry pencil is missing. And even if I didn't, wtf are you to take my stuff? When I notice my eyeshadow in my friend's make-up bag (whoops) I do want to give her some free legal advice: That's larceny b1tch!

gildedangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrymold
It's good to talk to people who understand! None of my close friends are MUA or as makeup addicted me so they don't really understand. + all though my BF & BFF understand it is a passion of mine, they don't really get what it is like.

I am in that same situation! That is why I love Specktra so much, and that is what it is here for!
smiles.gif