People who try to mooch free stuff or services

SmokeSignal16

That sucks that stupid bi-otch took your stuff, I would be finding out where she lives and go through her stuff and take it without permission, see how she likes it then that skank! Gosh I am lucky I'm the only one in what little group of female friends I have, that is addicted to makeup. My mom is an addict too so we understand and ask to borrow our stuff, but sometimes my older sis will get into my things w/o asking and I flare up on her lol. My stash not yours! But yeah I hate that when I tell people I work for Clinique it equals free makeover or gimme free stuff etc. I'm not working for my health I'm there to make money! But yeah I hope you get your stuff back half way decent! Sorry I ranted alittle too lol

LoopyLoo

Shame you didn't catch her in the act so you had some proof to show everyone it was her thieving from you.

User67

Too bad you didn't catch her doing it. You could have called her out & embarrassed her in front of everyone. That would have been awesome! I hope you get all your stuff back though, even if you never use it again. At least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that she isn't using *your* stuff that *you* paid for. And I totally understand where you are coming from. I actually just posted something about this under the "Working For Cosmetic Retailers" thread. I talked about how the second people find out I work for MAC they come out of everywhere asking for me to get them a discount. I even had a complete stranger at my Dr.'s office ask me for a discount because she saw me wearing my MAC necklace. People have no shame or morals these days.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrymold
I would die. I hope she didn't break anything

Nope she didnt
I screamed so loud that I scared the hell out of her
th_LMAO.gif

No need to say : she won't touch the stuff again

MACForME

Wow- Without getting into much about "me".. but when people find out what I do, they want free pictures, free makeup for the pictures and they try to get me to glam up their kids and do THOSE free pictures..

Recently, someone suggest that i GIVE OUT MY BRUSHES when i do someones makeup because as they said "well you have so many, you should give them to the person you do makeup on so they can have nice brushes too".. Mind you, this woman was fishing for me to offer to do her face..

uh? no.

ShugAvery2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACForME
Wow- Without getting into much about "me".. but when people find out what I do, they want free pictures, free makeup for the pictures and they try to get me to glam up their kids and do THOSE free pictures..

Recently, someone suggest that i GIVE OUT MY BRUSHES when i do someones makeup because as they said "well you have so many, you should give them to the person you do makeup on so they can have nice brushes too".. Mind you, this woman was fishing for me to offer to do her face..

uh? no.

Right.. totally bogus.

But like I mentioned people don't see a make-up kit like they see say grocery store stock. In their minds makeup is all play not business. Just think about the number of people who ask for samples of MAC pigments and what not. When they know they don't intend to buy it.

People are bold. But I have no problem saying hell no. I also have no problem explaining to them the cost of the brushes and how those brushes enable me to get my dough. Our inventory is VALUABLE. I'm not the makeup fairy and when I don't need my stuff I can always SELL IT.

I'll give things to my daughter .. mayyyyybe a relative if i really don't need something. Everyone else can suck it

xKiKix

wow, some people are just plain rude. i still cant believe that some people would just flat out suggests free makeup from someone's kit without even thinking about how much money it probably costs for the person. i would hunt them down and beat them with a shovel if they ever even think about touching my makeup behind my back.

Willa

I've read many times on Beauty Guru's webpages or youtube channels stuff like :

No, I wont give my makeup away
No, I wont send you samples from my stuff

I'm just wondering, how these people who ask for this, were raised?

HeatherLouWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
I've read many times on Beauty Guru's webpages or youtube channels stuff like :

No, I wont give my makeup away
No, I wont send you samples from my stuff

I'm just wondering, how these people who ask for this, were raised?

I think that people honestly have no idea how much it all costs. To them, pocketing someone else's make-up is in the same realm as accidentally taking a ballpoint pen home from work.

And when you do give stuff away, it seems to create more expectations that you will do so in the future.
angry.gif

hickle

People are jealous, and when they find out you have a lot of something, whether it's make up or money, they feel like they're justified in taking some of your stuff because you have so much and you won't even notice it. It's an unfortunate mentality. As a defense, you need to act like you're poor/don't have any make up. I know someone who has 30k sitting in their bank account, just for "spending" money, but anytime you mention money that person complains about being poor. If she told people how much money she has, I guarantee people would be asking her for money for all sorts of stupid shit.

Also, you mentioned two things in your post: roommates and parties. Roommates tend to suck in general, because no matter how nice you both are, people just have a way of crossing lines they didn't realize existed. Parties at your own house suck for a variety of reasons. You get complete strangers in your house, who may or may not respect your property (and in this case, they did not!). There's the mess you have to clean up afterwards, and it really isn't that unusual for something to go missing. Be happy it was only some make up and not a wallet, a cell phone, or an ipod!

I know that's not very comforting, but hopefully you learned something from this experience.

TISH1124

I agree for the most part...But I am not pretending I am poor or etc...I just say Hell to the No and I am done...If they don't like it ...Oh well..If I loose a friend...wasn't a friend anyway. I seriously have no problem saying no without explanation. I will not justify my means to anyone....period. Again, I'm nasty like that

MACForME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I agree for the most part...But I am not pretending I am poor or etc...I just say Hell to the No and I am done...If they don't like it ...Oh well..If I loose a friend...wasn't a friend anyway. I seriously have no problem saying no without explanation. I will not justify my means to anyone....period. Again, I'm nasty like that

I don't think you're being nasty at all..

Amazing the sense of "entitlement" people have developed.. No respect for personal or professional property.. Everything costs MONEY.. and how dare anyone get pissy because you (or me or anyone else) won't just GIVE it away.. I reminded that wacko that told me to "give" away my brushes.. She still didn't GET IT.

Poor Strawberry.. I'm just glad that this thieving Piece of SH*T didn't get any of her good stuff.. However, if i were her, I'd tell EVERYONE that would listen about this beyotch and how stuff "suddenly" went amissing..

this is why my stuff is NEVER out.. I have 2 kits.. one is mine-mine.. the other is work.. BOTH are locked and out of plain sight.

jrvt2

wow, that is pretty brutal!
i am a hairstylist and mua and i am pretty lucky cos all my friends are more than willing to pay me for doing their hair/makeup.
it was worse when i was working in a salon rather than freelancing-everyone wants a deal and everyone wants to stick their fingers in your makeup...ewww!
i think if someone has to ask you to do something for them for 'free' then they shouldn't be asking at all! i am more than happy to do nice things for my friends but the ones who don't ask are usually the ones i do the most for!
th_LMAO.gif

Elusive21

What a horrible girl to have done that! The audacity!

I'm not a makeup artist but I can feel your pain. Last weekend I went to my mom's house with my brand new MAC makeup box full of my newly bought makeup and when she saw it she started asking me to give her my makeup since I had so much. I had to do it because she made me feel guilty, but after I did I felt so sad because I've been working hard on building up my collection. She made me feel really selfish and I kinda resent that. I've also brough my makeup to work and had one of my favorite mineralized eyeshadow trios stolen - I almost cried when I found out.

So that's it. I am never taking my MAC box anywhere with me. From now on I'll be leaving it at home where my husband can guard it lol. At least HE understands how much makeup means to me. He's bought me a lot of eyeshadows (so he knows how expensive it is!) so he wants my makeup to be safe just as much as I do.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShugAvery2001
Right.. totally bogus.

But like I mentioned people don't see a make-up kit like they see say grocery store stock. In their minds makeup is all play not business. Just think about the number of people who ask for samples of MAC pigments and what not. When they know they don't intend to buy it.

People are bold. But I have no problem saying hell no. I also have no problem explaining to them the cost of the brushes and how those brushes enable me to get my dough. Our inventory is VALUABLE. I'm not the makeup fairy and when I don't need my stuff I can always SELL IT.

I'll give things to my daughter .. mayyyyybe a relative if i really don't need something. Everyone else can suck it

Exactly...a lot of people don't take it seriously as a business/profession. They might even look down on people who work in the beauty industry. "Oh, that's not a real job" or "Hmph-she just works retail."

girloflowers

i totally agree. Every time there's a party going on in my social group- EVERYONE wants their makeup done. For free. How about... No?
I'll do it for the birthday girl, but not for like 10 other people.
Luckily I haven't had anything stolen (except for one shitty no brand eyeshadow brush) but still, come on. I have to pay for this makeup out of my tiny tiny minimum wage pay, so don't you daaaare think about asking me to use it on you for free.

metal_romantic

Recently, someone suggest that i GIVE OUT MY BRUSHES when i do someones makeup because as they said "well you have so many, you should give them to the person you do makeup on so they can have nice brushes too"..
WTF?

Hey, I'm a generous girl, I'd be happy to give Q-Tips away for free after I've used them....

I can't believe that **** stealing makeup from the bathroom. How utterly disrespectful. She must be very ugly on the inside. No stolen makeup will fix that.

Do people think that makeup somehow refills itself? Like, you can use up on them for free and it will 'grow' back? Yet I BET the people who act like makeup is cheap and how DARE you refuse to share, are the same people who will go to a makeup counter like MAC and complain about the prices being too high!

On a similar topic, my mum runs a craft group at a church and it's shocking how much people steal. They seem to think that it isn't stealing. They also take things and use them without permission, which to me is stealing, as once they have used things like stickers, they cannot be used again. They also ruin a lot of things through stupidity and carelessness and don't care. Plus, it's in a church! Jesus is watching, bitches! I don't know why she still does it.
th_dunno.gif

It is a very good thing to have the strength in yourself to say NO!
nonono.gif

So good on all of you who have done just that!

You have the right to say no, and you are not required to justify it. In this context, there are many good reasons to say no- cost, time, hygiene etc. but if they ask 20 times, they obviously don't have any respect for you and so it is not worth wasting your energy explaining.

Willa

5 years ago I did a big party at my appartment
We were about 30 people at the highest point
Before people came, I did some ''cleaning'', hid my stuff and even put a sign on my bedroom door ''VIP only'', as a joke, but it was clear. Anyway, I stayed in my bedroom all along because I was the dj and my music was there, nobody could come in and nothing was stolen from me.

But, 3 people got their stuff stolen during the evening
-A new Blackberry
-A full bottle of rhum
-A set of keys!

Why...?

CandiGirl21

Long but I'll make it short...

I just got into it with my cousin over something like this. Now I don't mind my FAMILY coming over to get their make up done and nails. Now she has been advising her friends to get their nails done and make up. I have started to notice my products are getting low. Now today she just asked me if I wanted to do her, her friend and their kids nails/make up. Which is a total of six people. I was pissed and went off. All this was for free too. Using my products so they could go home and complain later about it all... No sir!

Kirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive21
What a horrible girl to have done that! The audacity!

I'm not a makeup artist but I can feel your pain. Last weekend I went to my mom's house with my brand new MAC makeup box full of my newly bought makeup and when she saw it she started asking me to give her my makeup since I had so much. I had to do it because she made me feel guilty, but after I did I felt so sad because I've been working hard on building up my collection. She made me feel really selfish and I kinda resent that. I've also brough my makeup to work and had one of my favorite mineralized eyeshadow trios stolen - I almost cried when I found out.

So that's it. I am never taking my MAC box anywhere with me. From now on I'll be leaving it at home where my husband can guard it lol. At least HE understands how much makeup means to me. He's bought me a lot of eyeshadows (so he knows how expensive it is!) so he wants my makeup to be safe just as much as I do.

I understand random people emotionally black mailing you into giving them your stuff (however im not condoning it at all!
nonono.gif
) but your mom?
amazed.gif

This is why im never having a party at my house. It makes me nervous to leave my stuff alone with my roommates as it is!