People who try to mooch free stuff or services

AmberElizabeth

I would not classify myself as a professional MUA, but I do have a small freelance kit and do proms/dances/weddings from time to time. My own personal stash is very large and I've invested quite a bit of money into it. I am a receptionist at Microsoft and make a measily $13/hr. I have to work for more than an hour to just to earn enough to buy most items! It makes me mad when my friends think just because I have a lot of makeup/brushes/ect they can just borrow or 'play' with my stuff! A friend of mine even hinted she wanted me to do her makeup and the makeup of her 7 bridesmaids for free! I told her the price and she then asked for a discount! My free time doing makeup jobs is money. I told her I was sorry but my time and resources aren't free.

I am very anal about my makeup stash. I earned/saved/freeelanced to buy all my personal stash and brushes, and I'm not about to let it go to waste being 'played with' even by my friends! I know that sounds horrible bitchy, but I'm a major germaphobe and it's MINE to begin with. If you tell someone no, we shouldn't have to explain why. No is no... Go buy your own stuff is what I tell people.

Sexy Sadie

I have friends too that asks for free make up and I have told them to buy their own stuff because my make up is adjustet to my skin and my colours (I am totally porcelaine and many of them are fillipino mixes) and would not suit them.

If one put it that way, we would not sound rude, but they will if they starts to push.

mommys-makeup

my motto...dont mess with my kids, my money, my man OR my MAKE-UP!!!! i would have hunted her down!!! i was glad to read that you had all your makeup and kit under lock and key though!!!

CantAffordMAC

Somebody would have gotten their ass beat. She was in your house, eating your food, making herself comfortable, and had the nerve to go around talking shit to YOUR friends about you...then steal your makeup? Wow....how old are we? What a crazy psycho bitch

I once had a friend pull out MY chapstick at work and start using it. Right in front of my face. Wow, really? She was bold. I dont care if it was Burts Beeswax, it wasnt YOURS

I love how we call these people our "friends" too. Yeah, what a great friend u are, u stole my stuff.

ms.marymac

I know this doesn't have anything to do with makeup, but it is just an example of how trifling some people are. This woman had a website with tips about how to have a successful yard sale. On one part, she invited people to write in with stories of the crazy people that would show up. People said that they had people steal their less than $5 items, pee on their house, haggle with them over $2 items, return used items they bought, you name it. Seriously, who steals from a YARD SALE? Maybe this post should go in the bad customer thread, lol.

Blushbaby

Wow I can't believe her audacity!! What an effin skank to rifle through your bathroom like that out of pure spite cos you said "No". I hope your friend manages to confront her on your behalf and get your stuff back.

When I got my PRO card I had a "friend" tell me that she'd be calling me whenever she needed any MAC so she could use my discount. Oh really?! Bloody cheek!

Somebody I know runs their own business and has a kitsch online store which sells lots of lovely items including lots of beauty products from various brands and she had an email recently from a beauty blogger who had the bloody cheek to list a load of (expensive) products from her site that she wanted to try out for free in exchange for glowing reviews!

Cheeky cow! I couldn't believe the nerve of her!

pink_lily82

I haven't had anybody outright steal my stuff, but if they did, I'd open up a can of whup-ass. Though whenever I visit home, my mom will tell me that I shouldn't wear so much makeup. But she will go into my room, take the very same makeup I shouldn't be wearing and not put it back! So I wake up in the morning, notice that I am missing that eyeshadow/blush/lipstick/whatever and have to freaking go downstairs into her bathroom to look for it. I need a sign that says "Don't touch my crap" or something.

laceface

I know exactly what you mean. It gets so annoying!! My friends always think I'm going to do their makeup for free... using MY products!! They don't realize not only does it take my time, but I am actually PAYING YOU to do your makeup. I BUY all my makeup. I think when my friends decide they want to start chipping in to replenish my kit, then I will consider being their slave makeup artist.

And you ever notice, they want you to do their makeup before a big event you BOTH are going to?! Like, "Hey! Did you ever think maybe I want to focus on making MYSELF look nice before that event?"

Gosh.

Eleentje

What that girl did is simply outrageous, but it's understandable cos she proved herself to be a true skank stealing your stuff. I hope you will be able to get your stuff back, even to just throw it in the bin. Skanky as she sounds, she might then be fishing in the garbage to get it back out.

I'm not a MUA, but the idea of someone going through my stuff makes me shudder already. I used to keep fighting with my younger sis cos she would lend my clothes from my (I admit, over-full) closet, and then either not return it, or return it covered in some spots
angry.gif
Or she would go on: "oh, you've got too much clothes already, and I hardly have any new clothes....You won't really miss that skirt/dress/shirt, and I really like it, so pls give it to me". Errrrm hell no?
nonono.gif
I mean, I've been working my ass off so I could allow myself to fill my closet with all that stuff. She, on the ohter hand, never cared to get a full-time job or to save money, so why should I have pity on her? I say it right to her face though, most of the time. If I feel I can miss something I'll give it away myself, and she'll surely be the first one I will offer it to. She still manages to make me feel guilty sometimes, and then I will usually give her something anyway.

It seems that people who are jealous of what you have that they haven't got percept themselves as some kind of victims of the situation, which makes you automatically indebted to them in their eyes. :S It's your stuff, so who are they to tell you what to do with it? Surely if you'd wanted anyone to have anything, be it a free makeover, a free legal advice or piece of clothing, you'd offer it yourself? People who go begging for stuff with some tear-jerking stories are lower than low in my eyes. Have some self-respect ffs!

I resell make-up, and my best mate, who is also make-up crazy like me, always pays for the stuff she buys from me. She even gives me more than I ask, cos she understands that I'm already missing out on any profit selling stuff for the same price I paid for it to her, rather than re-selling it.

I understand, when someone is still in the training, that they might need some models to practice on, and then you can offer your "services". In that case both sides get what they want. But when someone goes professional, it's unethical to ask them to do all your make-up for free, cos their time+skills=money. You should at least return the favour somehow. Referring your friends to them for a free do is even more unethical :S :S :S Don't they care that you can actually earn some money with this?

As for PRO discounts, those people do realize that you have to pay for your membership, don't they? :S I wouldn't mind to have a friend who had access such a discount, but would never beg. If she offers me to make use of it, I'll gladly do, but will make sure to thank her in one way or another for that.

So all of you are in the full right to say "no", cos all of these things are a matter of a personal discretion. How would they feel if someone would, say, ask them to borrow their underwear or (worse) to give it away, if they don't really need it?? LOL

DILLIGAF

I saw something on YouTube this week that made me think of this thread. A popular Beauty Guru was doing a video on Mother's Day gifts and mentioned purchasing her mother a candle. She then went on to mention that she liked the scent so much that she bought an additional 5 mini candles to use for a future giveaway for her subscribers. In the comments someone had written: "You make a six figure salary and all you can give a away are 5 mini candles that cost about $5 each?" Where does this level of entitlement come from? Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth.

SOMUCH2SHAY

I saw something on YouTube this week that made me think of this thread. A popular Beauty Guru was doing a video on Mother's Day gifts and mentioned purchasing her mother a candle. She then went on to mention that she liked the scent so much that she bought an additional 5 mini candles to use for a future giveaway for her subscribers. In the comments someone had written: "You make a six figure salary and all you can give a away are 5 mini candles that cost about $5 each?" Where does this level of entitlement come from? Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Some people are just flat out CRAZY! Anyway, can you inbox me whose video that was? I'm always looking for new gurus to follow on YT, and I'm curious about the candle (even though I already have too many candles around my house).