Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

claresauntie

Kicking things off with another subject:

I have a hard time finding a foundation that works for me. How 'bout you? I saw some mutterings about this in our first thread, so let's chat about it!

Right now I'm using M.A.C. Studio Tech in NW15, which is a pretty close match if used with a light hand. The trouble is: it doesn't cover those pesky light veins that run from my cheeks to my jawline. But using a heavier hand results in a cakey look or really emphasizes a color-mismatch.

I haven't found anything else that works better, because a lot of the really pale colors I've tried are white-white, meaning: there's no color at all in them, so I look like I'm doing Kabuki! So, I do the best I can with my foundation, then I divert attention with eye make-up (or so I hope!).

There's got to be a balance. What have you tried? What do you like? What real stinkers have you come across?

Ella_

I love body and soul 2 in 1 face powder - but its not available here in Australia. Im making do with clinique perfectly real compact makeup. Its not a 100% perfect match, just a touch too yellow for me, but Im the only person that notices it, and it covers quite well.

redambition

I'm lucky - i match MAC's NC15 foundations. because my skin is fairly neutral i then use an NW15 powder to set them.

stinkers: napoleon (all too dark), pretty much every cheaper brand excpet covergirl (but their foundation isn't too good).

ChynaSkye

I am lost to finding the ideal foundation. my only true match has been N3 studio fix but I do not always want to use it. i love what hyper real does but even that looks a little too dark in both NW15 & NC15. I think there should be a petition sent to MAC to make NW5 & NC5 in other products rather than just the sheer powders... while we are at it to bring back successful shades like NW45 sheer powders for other gals that are missing out on their match.

Morgana

all MAC liquid foundations are far too dark for my skin, however the studio stick is the only appart from powder that do a decent match in nw15 wich I believe is paler than the NC wich made me yellow.

The problem is that the studio stick is really thick and greasy so not good for an everyday basis as if you are acne-prone its a no-no

solutions: if you are mac-addict but care for your skin:

use select cover up concealer in NW15 mixed with strobe cream in the back of your hand then apply normally. it makes a great foundation and you choose the coverage adding less or more concealer.

NW5/NC5 face powder is really really pale too if you want a matte finish afterwards.

Studio Fix seems extremelly pale in the shop but its a really thick powder so it probably wouldnt look too good on me because I tend to have dry patches, and I heard reviews that block the pores... but if it works for you the colours are great!

I personally after a while and trying loads, the best for me is Givenchy Subli'mine foundation in exact dragee, wich doesnt cover much but evens the skin nicely, and you can put powder on top after if you want some more coverage, or blend in select cover up concealer.

I use also a lot bare escentuals, the fairest one, its a tad bit darker but with the kabuki brush it looks great, it doesnt damage the skin and there is no yellow face or patches, its quite porcelain like
smiles.gif
with strobe cream under does a fab job!

hope this helps xx

Shimmer

BeautiControl makes a shade in their wet/dry line called "alabaster" that's very fair. I used it when I was a senior and yeah...good coverage and extremely light toned.

NikkiHorror

I love Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation in Bone. It looks yellow in the bottle, but ends up being perfect on my skin!

Laura Mercier also makes some really light-toned foundation shades.

claresauntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana
... use select cover up concealer in NW15 mixed with strobe cream in the back of your hand then apply normally. it makes a great foundation and you choose the coverage adding less or more concealer...

...Studio Fix seems extremelly pale in the shop but its a really thick powder so it probably wouldnt look too good on me because I tend to have dry patches, and I heard reviews that block the pores... but if it works for you the colours are great! ...

... I use also a lot bare escentuals, the fairest one...

The select cover up + strobe cream idea is a great one! I like Studio Fix fine, but it's still a bit yellow for me. I don't find that it blocks the pores. Ironically, I find that the Strobe Cream breaks me out like mad! And I agree with the BE recommendation, but for some reason (I'm weird) the texture of that creeps me out.

meagannn

I finally found Prescriptives- I have their one of their foundations in Camilla- i loved that they did the colorprinting, finding my undertone THEN matching my lightness. that was great!!

i haven't ever used it, but i've heard of their exact colormatching being great! The prescriptives counter here in Amarillo took out their color matching part after I finally ventured over there =(
i am very fair, more fair than any MAC foundation to match. I have a hard time, too.
most foundations that I have tried are either too yellow or way too pink. =/

Simply Elegant

I use coverfx but I have to make it a lot sheerer because it's a heavy cream foundation and I don't have that much to cover up. On the other hand, it doubles up as a concealer when it's full strength so I guess it's not that bad.

Physician's Formula mineral foundation was a close match for me but made me a bit oily.

Esperanza

When I'm wearing foundation, I use Clinique Superbalanced foundation in Petal & Ivory it works well for me.

I heard Shiseido has made one for the fairest skins, did someone know something about it?

claresauntie

Ella, Redambition: two fair beauties from down under! How lovely! I have no familiarity with the brands you've mentioned... is that frustrating when you're talking on the boards? Are there brands you guys don't have access to that you're curious about?

claresauntie

Does anyone here use Face Atelier? I understand their foundations are great AND they have a product to mix in that will lighten the base (it's called Zero Minus).

daisydeadpetals

I usually use BE in the lightest cool/neutral shade "fair", but I think it may be a tad too dark for me...

I ordered the free sample kit from everday minerals in the lightest cool toned shade (I think it's called fair as well) and it's actually significantly lighter than BE's fair. So if anyone is looking for something lighter, I would check EM out! So far, I would say the quality is similar to BE, maybe better =)

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
Ella, Redambition: two fair beauties from down under! How lovely! I have no familiarity with the brands you've mentioned... is that frustrating when you're talking on the boards? Are there brands you guys don't have access to that you're curious about?

hello!
wavey.gif

there are lots of brands that we don't have access to through retail channels here. Smashbox, Urban Decay, Shu Uemura, MUFE (apparently sydney DJs sells it but i can't find it there), and i am sure there's a whole heap of others.

mineral make up is not easy to get here without ordering online. we also have very limited access to Nars, Stila, Kevyn Aucoin and Prescriptives (and all of these brands are very expensive here as well).

There is the option of using a buying service, eBay or getting CPs, but that requires being organised, and also runs the risk of you not liking a product when you receive it.

it can be very challenging on the boards when people mention all sorts of wonderful products from lines we can't get... but by the same token there are a few australian brands that are rare overseas - like bloom and napoleon. (you're not missing much by way of napoleon
lol.gif
) there are also some d/s type brands like natio, australis and face of australia that have some decent products in their lines.

the most frustrating thing is when certain shades of a foundation etc aren't available here. quite a few brands do it (including MAC) and it usually means us PPPs miss out.

whew... sorry for the long post. I got a bit carried away there.

flowerhead

Well, as you can probably tell from my advatar I am deathly white.
I wear Studio fix in C2, but try Becca cosmetics for foundations, I was looking at them and they have 4 or 5 reeally pale shades.
As for eyemakeup, I tend to go for cool tones as I have ridiculously cooled-toned skin, and warm colours usually look shitty on me.
Thanks for posting this thread btw!

lara

Australian girls, hie thee to Mecca Cosmetica and get a Prescriptives custom blend foundation. It's $$$, but you'll get an exact match and can pick your choice of finishes and luminisers.

Me, I just stopped wearing foundation. I can't be bothered with it every day - a whitening mask once a week does a good job of keeping my skin tone even and the freckles at bay.
smiles.gif

Jillipede

I really like the mineral foundations from Aromaleigh. They have a website www.aromaleigh.com and have a huge range of foundation colors. You can also order samples. I use Voile foundation in a mix of 1/3 alabaster to 2/3 1Y and it's great. I apply with a Kabuki brush or their flocked sponge and mist my face to set it. Great for pale skin!

kimmy

right now, NW15 is really orange looking on me...and NC15 makes me look like i rolled around in pink pixie dust. during the summer, NW foundations work perfect for me...but in the winter i get dead pale and nothing works for me anymore with the exception of mineral foundation.

Latest posts