Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

shellygrrl

Staff member
I recently bought NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia, and I really like it. Finish is lovely, it wears a long time, and it's definitely light enough for my skin. However, I'm thinking the undertone is a smidge too yellow. Either I'll have to get a pink (or red?) mixing medium to neutralize it or buy SG in Mont Blanc and see how that goes.

abcruthie

Has anyone tried MAC studio fix powder in n3. I have it in nc15, but I think it's a little off. Too yellow and too dark....Any advice?

Ladychris11

Has anyone tried MAC studio fix powder in n3. I have it in nc15, but I think it's a little off. Too yellow and too dark....Any advice?  
I'm not sure if N3 would be pale enough. Maybe try NW10 if they have it? I know they have NC10 but that might be also be yellow for you. Anyway, I really love Guerlain Lingerie de Peau but sadly they do not have a shade for me that's readily available. I know there's Beige Pale 01 somewhere but I think it's a Korean exclusive. If anyone knows where it's available in the US, please let me know! :) Rave: ELDW in Linen. Yay for a perfect match! I almost lost hope because ELDW Light in 01 was too dark and pink for me, and I am not even THAT pale(I'm nc15-20), but luckily I tried ELDW and there werewven a few shades that were too light for me :)

Mac-Guy

I have so many issues with foundation it drives me nuts.

Drugstore: You can't test properly before purchasing. No sample available to try out, see if it oxidizes, matches properly or whatever.

High End: I can never freaking find someone to help match me properly and I am TERRIBLE at matching myself. It seems to be the one thing I have a huge issue with other than liquid/gel liner. It took me 3 attempts, 3 different counters and 3 different MA's to match me to my EL DW foundation.

As much as I like EL DW, it's £26 and has SPF in it. I hate SPF being in my foundation because if I go out at night and photos are taken, voila - it looks like my foundation is lighter than my skin!

I'm going off of Temptalia's Foundation Matrix in guessing I'm NC15 in MAC - not sure if I am, as when they matched me I was told NW20.

If anyone of my shade with combo/quite oily skin has any decent dupes for my shade I'd really, really appreciate the help and any info you can give me on the foundation (how long it lasts, finish, oxidizes or not etc).

Are you sure that your skin is leaning more towards yellow rather than pink? Looking at your pic (and I might be mistaken), I would have said that you are more NW15-20.

Is EL DW in 1W1 a perfect match for you (apart from the SPF issues)?

Dreaming Dancer

N3 studio fix powder is my favorite foundation. it is the only thing that matches me. NW20 looks too dark on me and NW15 too light, but N3 is just right. i think it is because it seems more neutral toned. If you need lighter than that you can try N2.

crayolaforeyes

N3 studio fix powder is my favorite foundation. it is the only thing that matches me. NW20 looks too dark on me and NW15 too light, but N3 is just right. i think it is because it seems more neutral toned. If you need lighter than that you can try N2.
I am NC15 and use the N3 powder - I love it - it is the perfect match for me - my skin is more neutral - N3 is a perfect match!

SweetSweetIrony

I'm still playing around with MUFE matte velvet foundation mixing the two lightest colors for a pretyy good match. It's still a bit frustrating as it can be a bit powdery. MUFE HD in lightest shade is a pretty good match but not so sure it is great for oilier skin. Having oily pale skin makes it difficult to find the foundation. I have been curious about NARS sheer matte. I've heard it is buildable and it does come in some very light shades. Any thoughts?
I was using MUFE HD in 110, which somehow was almost too pink for me. And a bit too dark. Ugh.

I use NARS Sheer Matte in Siberia now. So far it's the best foundation for my skintone. It seems to have yellow undertones imo, but I have such rosy cheeks and pink undertones it almost helps even things out a bit. I like the coverage, I do find that it's buildable. It blends fairly well and I always use a primer.

I'm itching to try UDs new Naked Skin though.

martiangurll

I was using MUFE HD in 110, which somehow was almost too pink for me. And a bit too dark. Ugh.

I use NARS Sheer Matte in Siberia now. So far it's the best foundation for my skintone. It seems to have yellow undertones imo, but I have such rosy cheeks and pink undertones it almost helps even things out a bit. I like the coverage, I do find that it's buildable. It blends fairly well and I always use a primer.

I'm itching to try UDs new Naked Skin though.
Have not tired MUFE HD but would love to get a sample. Ditto on UD Naked.
Love NARS Siberia, it is a close match.
If I am willing to take the time to do a moisturizer with SPF first and go with a foundation that has no SPF, then Studio Gear matte foundation in Cream has been really good. It sets very, very matte and it doesn't move all day long. It is edging out my high end stuff for top gun.

katred

Specktra Bestie
I have so many issues with foundation it drives me nuts.

Drugstore: You can't test properly before purchasing. No sample available to try out, see if it oxidizes, matches properly or whatever.

High End: I can never freaking find someone to help match me properly and I am TERRIBLE at matching myself. It seems to be the one thing I have a huge issue with other than liquid/gel liner. It took me 3 attempts, 3 different counters and 3 different MA's to match me to my EL DW foundation.

As much as I like EL DW, it's £26 and has SPF in it. I hate SPF being in my foundation because if I go out at night and photos are taken, voila - it looks like my foundation is lighter than my skin!

I'm going off of Temptalia's Foundation Matrix in guessing I'm NC15 in MAC - not sure if I am, as when they matched me I was told NW20.

If anyone of my shade with combo/quite oily skin has any decent dupes for my shade I'd really, really appreciate the help and any info you can give me on the foundation (how long it lasts, finish, oxidizes or not etc).

You look a little lighter than me and I'm NC15. As far as getting matched at Mac, I find that they aren't great with pale ladies. I used to get matched to shades that were too dark for me whenever I asked for help there. My guess is that you'd be NC15 or NW15 at your darkest.

Bobbi Brown has a nice variety of foundations and I find that she has good colours- Porcelain and Alabaster- for pale ladies. The new UD Naked Skin foundation definitely has some good light shades and I've really gone cuckoo for the formula. Clarins long-wearing foundation is good for oilier skin because it turns matte in a serious way. their lightest shades are pretty fair, although not a lot better than Mac.

abcruthie

Do you normally match your foundation to your neck? My neck and body are paler than my face, and I've noticed whenever I get color matched, its to my face, not the rest of me. What do you guys do?

shellygrrl

Staff member
Nope, not a mistake. All the MAC Pro products are now available on the normal MAC website in US and Canada. (Hopefully, this will happen in other countries, too.)