prep and prime beauty balm spy 35

martiangurll

The MUAs at my store were raving about the compacts today. They'll be coming to the US before the end of the year - sometime in Nov. they were thinking.

I tried out the BB today in-store and thought it had a great texture for such a high SPF. Coverage was quite high, I'd compare it to the Mineralize cream foundation. It runs very light - I had to use Light Plus. Very nice smooth application and a lovely finish that was less bisque than Match Master, while still more matte than the Mineralize SPF15 cream. We tried a touch of Pearl CCB to highlight and that was gorgeous - a perfect combo. The only disadvantage was that I felt I needed extra moisturizing after I removed it. It didn't make my skin feel dry, per se, but it did feel a bit rough on it (like so many sunscreens anyhow).

I'm going to wait for the compact version to come out, since it's being promoted as designed for dry skin, while the tube version is for general skin types.
TY for the review, this gives me more inspiration to try it. It will really have to be smooth coverage to make me abandon NARS TM. I do like Matchmaster but find it is too much coverage and a little too matte as well. Would you say Light Plus would work for NC20? I can use either Matchmaster 1.0 or 1.5.

Also, do you think a concealer would be needed over the BB or was the coverage good enough not to need that? I am looking to cover red tones/capillaries and the dreaded purple under the eyes...

liba

TY for the review, this gives me more inspiration to try it. It will really have to be smooth coverage to make me abandon NARS TM. I do like Matchmaster but find it is too much coverage and a little too matte as well. Would you say Light Plus would work for NC20? I can use either Matchmaster 1.0 or 1.5.
Also, do you think a concealer would be needed over the BB or was the coverage good enough not to need that? I am looking to cover red tones/capillaries and the dreaded purple under the eyes...
I like Matchmaster in the winter and for more formal situations. I use 1.0 (1.5 is a little too dark). It's a bit matte for everyday use, unless I apply it over my serum/moisturizer before I let it sink in. I'd say the bb cream is a step under matchmaster in terms of smoothness and coverage, but not by that much. Light Plus would be the way to go, but it possibly might be on the light side for you to wear on its own. Because of the SPF rating, I'm not sure I'd want it too close to my eyes - could be irritating? Best to get a sample first, I'd say. (you know me - I would never buy any skin products without checking them in person)

martiangurll

I like Matchmaster in the winter and for more formal situations. I use 1.0 (1.5 is a little too dark). It's a bit matte for everyday use, unless I apply it over my serum/moisturizer before I let it sink in. I'd say the bb cream is a step under matchmaster in terms of smoothness and coverage, but not by that much. Light Plus would be the way to go, but it possibly might be on the light side for you to wear on its own. Because of the SPF rating, I'm not sure I'd want it too close to my eyes - could be irritating? Best to get a sample first, I'd say. (you know me - I would never buy any skin products without checking them in person)
I definitely have to mix Matchmaster or its too mask like. But I love how it lasts ALL day. I am actually thinking of trying the Sheisido primer with UV protection under my other foundations (I flip between MAC, Revlon, and Studio Gear) and if I don't love it, then try the MAC BB...

Mac-Guy

I definitely have to mix Matchmaster or its too mask like. But I love how it lasts ALL day. I am actually thinking of trying the Sheisido primer with UV protection under my other foundations (I flip between MAC, Revlon, and Studio Gear) and if I don't love it, then try the MAC BB...
That's how I felt about it too.

Mac-Guy

The compacts are on the website (Pro)
flower.gif

mac_aiken

I bought the compact and I love it. It reminds me a bit of a tinted version of the Shiseido veils that came out a few years ago and are now discontinued (or at least my favorite the brightening veil was).

Mac-Guy

I bought the compact and I love it. It reminds me a bit of a tinted version of the Shiseido veils that came out a few years ago and are now discontinued (or at least my favorite the brightening veil was).
Which shade did you get?

mac_aiken

Which shade did you get?
I ended up with light even though right now I am pretty pale (less than an N2 but not quite N1). So far this product has lived up to the hype. The only problem I had at first was application. MAC recommends finger or brush application but I find the puff they enclosed in the compact works best for me.

gracie90

I ended up with light even though right now I am pretty pale (less than an N2 but not quite N1). So far this product has lived up to the hype. The only problem I had at first was application. MAC recommends finger or brush application but I find the puff they enclosed in the compact works best for me.
I think I may just try this when it comes out here next month! I need some sort of face primer :)

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Can someone tell me what product would be better for very dry skin? The Beauty Balm (tube?) or the P+P Fortified Skin Enhancer? I don't need much covergae, just something that evens out my skintone a little.
(and what shade would I need in the BB if I'm between NW10-15?)

Mac-Guy

You are my NW18 twin
friends.gif

Have you tried the 130 with the compact? It worked very well for me, though you have to work at a speedy pace as the product dries down fast.

Spanky

I need everyone's help on this product & your thoughts & reviews on this product. I'm out of the loop on posts & beauty blogs, so I don't know what the general concenous is on this product ir how to choose the right shade & tube vs. compact (if I have to buy it OL). Did every MAC counter & freestanding store get both tube & compact by now??? For reference, I'm NC20, freckles galore, can be a little dry & always a little sensitive. I very frequently vacilate between skin tone during the day due to my health. That being said this is not something I'm going to use everyday b/c I can barely find the will to even moisturize my face in the past couple weeks (although, that is not my 'norm'). My norm is using NARS Pro Primer as my day moisturizer because it has SPF 35+ (correct me if I'm wrong) & I haven't found a try moisturizer with SPF that doesn't leave me shiny. If anyone can recommend something better to use for this type usage, I'm open & very willing to try something new. If I do want coverage, I use MSF in medium. It looks nicer than my normal skin tone but just feel like there is something better out there (ie Careblend powder??? I realize that with traditional powders prepping the skin will still be needed, thus adding another step in the process). Ideally, I would like something quick & easy to apply, evens out skin tone in my 'normal' moments & moisturizers with SPF...so MAC's BB seems like the way to go, but don't want to buy something because it's the trend. I'm open to trying any brand & any product that you all feel is worthy & would love to try a more Easternized true BB Cream, if I could easily obtain it. I have TM by Bobbi Brown that I've used twice (NARS TM was too yellow on me). I like the Bobbi Brown TM but I just don't reach for it. I also bought F&B & MUFE foundation which have not even been opened because I'm thinking it will be too much coverage & too high maintenance. I liked the way both the aforementioned foundations looked but I'm not a liquid foundation person & much prefer powder because I think it's less fool proof in application. Color suggestions would also be greatly appreciated for my NC20 skintone. I think the MUFE foundation is #25. If you've made it this far thank you for reading & sorry for my rambling. It's been a loooong, rough time lately on so many levels. I know many of this lovely Specktra family feel the same way. I truly miss you all! Take care & thank you in advance for any help.

mac_aiken

You are my NW18 twin
friends.gif

Have you tried the 130 with the compact? It worked very well for me, though you have to work at a speedy pace as the product dries down fast.
The 130 works like a charm. Thank you!
friends.gif
I just adore this product. We have seen some wonderful skincare from MAC recently.

I don't like the feel of alot of products on my skin so I just use the moisturizing serum, P+P Eye Vibrancy (thanks to Liba) and this. It is a wonderful combination.

Mac-Guy

The 130 works like a charm. Thank you!
friends.gif
I just adore this product. We have seen some wonderful skincare from MAC recently.

I don't like the feel of alot of products on my skin so I just use the moisturizing serum, P+P Eye Vibrancy (thanks to Liba) and this. It is a wonderful combination.
Hehehe, I do the exact same thing :)

Latest posts