prep and prime beauty balm spy 35

BuickMackane

I've been using the tube version for two weeks now and I'm very impressed. I picked it up from the airport when I was leaving for my holidays so I accidentally ended up with Light instead of Extra Light, which was less pink IIRC. Mum reckons I bought Light because Extra Light was pinker. I honestly can't remember what happened
lol.gif
. I'm going to swatch both shades the next time I visit a MAC counter. Either way, Light works just fine.

Kudos to MAC for promoting this product as a primer as opposed to a proper BB cream. Although it visibly evens out my skintone the coverage is still very light - there's no way I would wear it alone. For that purpose I'll stick with my beloved Erborian Light BB Cream
heart.gif

It works a treat as a foundation primer though. Normally it takes a maximum of 2 hours before Laura Mercier's oil free foundation starts to oxidise and turn patchy on me. Not with this baby it doesn't! Love it!

Audrey C

It does give a nice, glowy look, but I wouldn't say that it's mattifying. I have yet to find anything that is on me. I used it today under F&B and it gave a very dewy look. I 'dried' it down somewhat with blotting paper on my t-zone before adding a bit of blotting powder. I really like BB & F&B together - it gives an almost flawless but dewy, natural look. I'll need to experiment with other foundations and FM to see how else I might like to use it.

Edelmc

It does give a nice, glowy look, but I wouldn't say that it's mattifying. I have yet to find anything that is on me. I used it today under F&B and it gave a very dewy look. I 'dried' it down somewhat with blotting paper on my t-zone before adding a bit of blotting powder. I really like BB & F&B together - it gives an almost flawless but dewy, natural look. I'll need to experiment with other foundations and FM to see how else I might like to use it.
Do u have the tube and u use it as a primer and/or base

Audrey C

Do u have the tube and u use it as a primer and/or base
Yes, I have the tube. This is only the second time I've tried it; the first it was applied for me by a MUA at MAC. I tried it myself for the first time today, so I haven't had much time to experiment.

Audrey C

I have the tube and love it as a TM. I don't think it would work as a primer, it is too moist and anything I put on top of it tends to "pill"
I find that I have to use a VERY teeny amount. Barely more than pea sized. The first time I used it I applied it a bit more heavily (the way I would F&B) and it was far too moist. A very light application works as either a tinted moisturizer (faintly illuminating on me) or primer. I do let it set a bit before applying foundation. My skin is much drier in the winter than in the summer; I go from oily everwhere in hot weather to slightly dry/normal cheeks and an oily t-zone in the winter. The moistness of the BB cream makes the finish of Matchmaster less uber matte, which is nice.

Edelmc

I really like this. It's really nice for an every day quick look. I wear with msfn in light and it gives a lovely dewy finish with a slight bit more coverage than a tinted moisturiser. It's a lot like bobbi browns bb cream which I love. I layered f&b over it and it was fab! Airbrushed effect!

Edelmc

Just to add...I think bobbi browns bb cream looks slightly more moisturising and dewy looking when I first put it on but the mac bb cream seems to last longer

Mac-Guy

I really like this. It's really nice for an every day quick look. I wear with msfn in light and it gives a lovely dewy finish with a slight bit more coverage than a tinted moisturiser. It's a lot like bobbi browns bb cream which I love. I layered f&b over it and it was fab! Airbrushed effect!
Tube or compact? And what shade?

Pinkdollface

I think I'm also in love with this. This is my first time trying something like this. I also never used a tinted moisturizer before. I like that I can apply it with my fingers and therefore it's very quick in the morning. Does anyone use a brush with this? I'm just curious if it would work.

BuickMackane

I think I'm also in love with this. This is my first time trying something like this. I also never used a tinted moisturizer before. I like that I can apply it with my fingers and therefore it's very quick in the morning. Does anyone use a brush with this? I'm just curious if it would work.
So glad you like it! It really is an awesome product. I love the SPF too!

I didn't try using a brush with it simply because I didn't need to. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I'd be curious to hear which brushes fellow Specktrettes like to apply it with.

Pinkdollface

I didn't try using a brush with it simply because I didn't need to. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I'd be curious to hear which brushes fellow Specktrettes like to apply it with.
Yes the SPF is great too! I also didn't use a brush for the same reason, but I just like reading about different techniques:)

Mac-Guy

191 for the tube and 130 for the compact.

Mac-Guy

Yes the SPF is great too! I also didn't use a brush for the same reason, but I just like reading about different techniques:)
I would prefer a version w/ SPF. The SPF can be quite drying to the skin, especially if your skin needs moisture. Those with dry skin probably want to stay away from layer product over product that has sunscreen in it. It will make thirsty skin even drier. In addition, if you want to get the full benefit of an SPF, you'll need to reapply the product at least every two hours, if not more often. After that, it is useless. We've all seen it: despite using a high SPF on vacation, we got a tan (or sunburn).

If you want protection from the sun, a waterproof sunscreen would be the most effective (though those do not mix well with make up). The best advice is to stay out of the sun and stay in doors. While that is not always possible, the best possible use of sunscreen in make up is to apply it about 30 min before you leave the house. Protect your face (or any exposed body parts) with scarves or hats. Use physical screens such as umbrellas or specific clothing. Now it all depends where you live and what kind of sun exposure you get on a daily basis.

To put in a nutshell, the SPF in most make up products is just a marketing gimmick that jumps on the train of selling a "healthy product." Unfortunately, by no means it is an effective way to protect your skin as the SPF will not last throughout the day.

HTH

Pinkdollface

I would prefer a version w/ SPF. The SPF can be quite drying to the skin, especially if your skin needs moisture. Those with dry skin probably want to stay away from layer product over product that has sunscreen in it. It will make thirsty skin even drier. In addition, if you want to get the full benefit of an SPF, you'll need to reapply the product at least every two hours, if not more often. After that, it is useless. We've all seen it: despite using a high SPF on vacation, we got a tan (or sunburn).

If you want protection from the sun, a waterproof sunscreen would be the most effective (though those do not mix well with make up). The best advice is to stay out of the sun and stay in doors. While that is not always possible, the best possible use of sunscreen in make up is to apply it about 30 min before you leave the house. Protect your face (or any exposed body parts) with scarves or hats. Use physical screens such as umbrellas or specific clothing. Now it all depends where you live and what kind of sun exposure you get on a daily basis.

To put in a nutshell, the SPF in most make up products is just a marketing gimmick that jumps on the train of selling a "healthy product." Unfortunately, by no means it is an effective way to protect your skin as the SPF will not last throughout the day.

HTH
Well if SPF is drying than it might make the product better for oily skin and therefore mine. I always reapply sunscreen when I'm out for a long time, but I don't spend long periods in the sun most of the time. In summer that is way to hot for me and in the winter there is not much sun (actually today there is finally), but I'm indoors and not near a window where the sun hits. I have to ride on my bicycle in the morning and that's half an hour to an hour after I applied my makeup and therefore the SPF will protect me during that time outdoors. So for me it's not a complete waste:)

BuickMackane

Quote:

HTH
Thanks, Mac-Guy. Very useful info!

I have combination skin but I had a lot of dry, scaly patches earlier this winter. Things were quickly back to normal when I went on holiday but now that I'm back I'm noticing a bit of dryness here and there. My skincare regime hasn't changed, so I'm attributing it to the weather or the water. Or perhaps it's something psychological, I dunno. I think I'm going to try using my Clarisonic every other day until my skin is a bit less sensitive (I currently use it daily, but just in the evenings). If it gets worse I'll stop using the PPBB Cream for a bit until my horrible winter skin goes away.