Question about stocking up and buying backups

cocodivatime

Is this a smart thing to do on certain products?

I am thinking of buying a few more backups of shadesticks since they will be discontinued. But will they dry out over time? Or will they be fine if unopened?

Same question for fluidline and paintpots.

Divinity

Good question. I can't imagine they would dry out anytime soon, but if you haven't used them within 3 years I bet they dry out. I could be wrong. Just a guess. Anyone else?

newagetomatoz

I believe as long as you keep them unopened until you actually use them, and store them in a cool, dry place, they should be fine.

Though I agree with Divinity in that they will probably go bad after like 3 years.

Simply Elegant

Also try to keep them away from light and away from the bathroom (because of moisture issues) as well as everywhere else mentioned. It'll make them last longer.

erine1881

i would advise against buying backups of any liquid or cream product, especially lipglass. it can go bad even before you open it. shadesticks, however, are ok to backup. i've been stocking up on beige-ing just incase they DC this color. you never know, mac has been know to do stupid things. stick to powder products if you're gonna buy backups.

Dianora

I know by the end of my shadesticks' lives, they're dryer than they were at the beginning - probably from being exposed to the air every time I use them. I remedy this by twisting the tip back and forth in my fingers for a few seconds to warm it up and then it spreads on pretty smoothly. But if you never open them until you're ready to use them, I imagine that they'll be fine.

purplerinne

Thanks for the info guys...I stocked up on Sharkskin without even thinking about the shelf life...mine are safely stored away but maybe I'll check on it in 3 years...LOL

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianora
I know by the end of my shadesticks' lives, they're dryer than they were at the beginning - probably from being exposed to the air every time I use them. I remedy this by twisting the tip back and forth in my fingers for a few seconds to warm it up and then it spreads on pretty smoothly. But if you never open them until you're ready to use them, I imagine that they'll be fine.

Just another thing about the Shadesticks. You have to push down on them all the way until you hear a click. Otherwise, they aren't really closed and WILL dry out faster.

GlamYOURUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
i would advise against buying backups of any liquid or cream product, especially lipglass. it can go bad even before you open it. shadesticks, however, are ok to backup. i've been stocking up on beige-ing just incase they DC this color. you never know, mac has been know to do stupid things. stick to powder products if you're gonna buy backups.

But I thought lipglasses don't have an expiration date and they would be okay even if they weren't open?
th_dunno.gif
I don't buy many backups. The only backup I have is of Sock Hop l/g. But I do own nearly 50 lipglasses. *bites nail*

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
But I thought lipglasses don't have an expiration date and they would be okay even if they weren't open?
th_dunno.gif
I don't buy many backups. The only backup I have is of Sock Hop l/g. But I do own nearly 50 lipglasses. *bites nail*

they don't have one, but certain ingredients can go bad before its opened. back when magic spell came out (only the best color EVER!!!), i had bought one and 2 backups. after using my first one for a few weeks, it had gone back, so i opened a backup, and it had already gone bad. same with the second backup. i don't know what it is in there
th_dunno.gif
, but i haven't backup up a lipglass since.

~Maemi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881

Oh no really? That's made me worried. I've got a whole small shoe box of unopened lipglasses! half of which are back-ups (some from the perm line because im scared MAC discontinue them and the others LE). I have so many lipglasses opened already I wanted to save these for while.

Now that I think about it. I feel a lil silly getting back ups since I've never actually finished a lipgloss before.

Millgrove

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
th_dunno.gif

Yeah, I've had a few go bad too. Some colours seem worse than others for this because I've got some that are really old and still fine. Must be down to the different ingredients/pigments used. I think ones with glitter are maybe a bit more susceptible (most of the ones of those that have died had glitter, but not all of them). That's real glitter, not shimmer, before I cause any panic!

Long as it still smells fine, I think it's OK to use though. Like lippies really, they get stale too.
ssad.gif

xx

iliang25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Just another thing about the Shadesticks. You have to push down on them all the way until you hear a click. Otherwise, they aren't really closed and WILL dry out faster.

I noticed this too..I am always in a hurry and been slacking in doing this..I have back ups of sharkskin and luckyjade...

M.A.C. head.

I need to go and get back ups of Sharkskin. The one I have is still relatively new but I know it's going to get used up with the quickness. I spoke with an MA on the live chat and she said that SS has been discontinued
ssad.gif
so I must get them as soon as possible.

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.C. head.
I need to go and get back ups of Sharkskin. The one I have is still relatively new but I know it's going to get used up with the quickness. I spoke with an MA on the live chat and she said that SS has been discontinued
ssad.gif
so I must get them as soon as possible.

Don't panick
tong.gif
- Sharkskin is being re-released with the Gold Fever collection (I think I have that right)

Yep! Sept. 08

CantAffordMAC

Guyssssssss.....

my lipsticks/lipglasses better not go bad! I have only 2 backups but still! I'd never use them up quick enough.

ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease
ssad.gif

rocking chick

I am also worried about my lipsticks & lipglasses turning bad, as I seldom/rarely use them, maybe once a week. Until now I had sold away 70% of my MAC lippies collection including backups. So now my collection only have 20 lipsticks and about 11 lipglass.

lethaldesign

I've only had 1 lipglass turn on my & that was Fulfilled plushglass. Not sure what happened to it but I was using it almost every day & then I took a break for a week or two. Went to use it again & it smelled odd & the color had completely change. It just LOOKED sickly. I B2Med that thing in a heartbeat, but now I'm scared to buy Fulfilled.

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetomatoz
I believe as long as you keep them unopened until you actually use them, and store them in a cool, dry place, they should be fine.

iagree.gif

GlamYOURUs

I have had only 1 lipglass (Explicit) that turned bad after 5 years. lol I hardly used it but when I opened it again...lets just say that I ran into the bathroom to vomit. The stench was sooo bad, it stunk like someone just had their last death poop. If you med professionals, know what I mean. :\